2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bryson Dechambeau -- New grips?

His grips have a red and blue pattern on them and on 18 Faldo mentioned he completely changed his setup because of the weight change in his grips, any Intel? Haven't heard anything about this.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Earlier Faldo said the new grips are 53 grams, down from 124 for his JumboMax ones. And he changed his shafts from something to DG S400. I do not find the color pattern on his new grips on anything in the Golfworks catalog. They look to be ordinary oversize/jumbo, and probably of the Winn type of construction to come in at only 53g.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @"nohny noke" said:

> Thanks for the pics.

>

> I wonder how/if he changed his head weighting. 60-70 grams less in the grip is a lot.

I think Faldo said that they did change the head weighting. Although they would not be that out of line at the previous weight of 280 grams (or was it 284?) at 37.5 inches. A little heavy maybe. So I'm guessing just a little lightening of them.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Thanks for the information! May have to try these, I remarked awhile ago I'd try jumbomax again if they were lighter!

These are so much lighter it must've changed a lot, I usually hear 5 grams is 1 swingweight point so that comes to something around 13 ish swingweight points, really interesting. Wonder what his setup is now.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

> @Snowman9000 said:

> > @"nohny noke" said:

> > Thanks for the pics.

> >

> > I wonder how/if he changed his head weighting. 60-70 grams less in the grip is a lot.

>

> I think Faldo said that they did change the head weighting. Although they would not be that out of line at the previous weight of 280 grams (or was it 284?) at 37.5 inches. A little heavy maybe. So I'm guessing just a little lightening of them.

I'm looking forward to seeing his new specs and explanation for the switch.

Side note - your G2 SL set inspired me to do the same at the higher-lofted end of the bag. I play Wishon 870ti's 5-PW and G2 U,S,L. 290g head weight at 36" with heavy Enlow grips. Thanks for the inspiration!

> @bladehunter said:

> Yep. S400 isn’t soft at all. Probably very very close to 130x modus.

I don't think they are that close in flex. Probably just in weight.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @bladehunter said:

> Yep. S400 isn’t soft at all. Probably very very close to 130x modus.

You say you have 130X in your 681 irons and you think 130X is comparable to S400?? I can't comment directly on CPMs. by terms of feel they are not even close. Maybe 130S and S400 hardstepped would be close. In terms of pure stiffness though, the 130X is insanely firm in the grip and midsection and only the tip is mildly softer than a TT DG steel shaft (which have firmer tips.) DG has a softer grip section. But enhanced EI profiles are tricky and butt clamping for CPMs is skewed with how current shafts monkey with wall thicknesses.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

> @Wdwfreak said:

> Thanks for the information! May have to try these, I remarked awhile ago I'd try jumbomax again if they were lighter!

>

> These are so much lighter it must've changed a lot, I usually hear 5 grams is 1 swingweight point so that comes to something around 13 ish swingweight points, really interesting. Wonder what his setup is now.

His irons had swingweighted in the B range. I want to say B9? So with the new grips the swingweights should be quite normal.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I gathered that the shaft change was to help get the ball up on the lower lofted irons. BD said something a few days ago about working on his lower lofted irons to improve the trajectory. I can't recall if he was talking to someone on the range, or what, but I saw it on TV.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @Snowman9000 said:

> I gathered that the shaft change was to help get the ball up on the lower lofted irons. BD said something a few days ago about working on his lower lofted irons to improve the trajectory. I can't recall if he was talking to someone on the range, or what, but I saw it on TV.

Thank God he said this cause the lower lofted irons in single length set simply dont fly/carry nearly enough. I'm shocked so many people play the Cobra 4 iron. I'm super interested in the concept but have yet to see any of the existing designs deliver a towering long iron shot.

This is coming from someone who just needs a legit excuse to switch.

> @markheardjr said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Yep. S400 isn’t soft at all. Probably very very close to 130x modus.

>

> You say you have 130X in your 681 irons and you think 130X is comparable to S400?? I can't comment directly on CPMs. by terms of feel they are not even close. Maybe 130S and S400 hardstepped would be close. In terms of pure stiffness though, the 130X is insanely firm in the grip and midsection and only the tip is mildly softer than a TT DG steel shaft (which have firmer tips.) DG has a softer grip section. But enhanced EI profiles are tricky and butt clamping for CPMs is skewed with how current shafts monkey with wall thicknesses.

close - but the biggest difference is in the mid section.

ya14hepq6ecd.png

> @Tugu said:

> > @Snowman9000 said:

> > I gathered that the shaft change was to help get the ball up on the lower lofted irons. BD said something a few days ago about working on his lower lofted irons to improve the trajectory. I can't recall if he was talking to someone on the range, or what, but I saw it on TV.

>

> Thank God he said this cause the lower lofted irons in single length set simply dont fly/carry nearly enough. I'm shocked so many people play the Cobra 4 iron. I'm super interested in the concept but have yet to see any of the existing designs deliver a towering long iron shot.

> This is coming from someone who just needs a legit excuse to switch.

I know at least one person who's had a full Edel fitting and before he went the rep. assured him that he'd be hitting the 5 iron as high as he wanted (wasn't planning a 4 iron). They claim to had fiddled with the shafts, with help from Paderson, to create three separate profiles that allow them to prevent the super-high short irons and low long irons.

After the fitting, he was a complete believer.

How does that work for someone like me, who's not going to drop Edel money on a set of irons?

Well, I've been wondering if I could get similar results by taking a set of shafts and tip trimming them as if I was using variable-length heads. IOW, the 4 iron would be soft-stepped about four times, and the wedge would be hard-stepped about the same.

I have a set of the affordable Pinhawks that a friend gave me, with shafts that are too stiff. I hit the short irons normal-ish distance, but a mile in the air. (Not much of a problem as I am a low-ball hitter.)

But the 4 iron barely gets waist high and carries less than half of what I should get.

I've got to pull them apart and find some "affordable" shafts, so I can try the experiment.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @markheardjr said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Yep. S400 isn’t soft at all. Probably very very close to 130x modus.

> >

> > You say you have 130X in your 681 irons and you think 130X is comparable to S400?? I can't comment directly on CPMs. by terms of feel they are not even close. Maybe 130S and S400 hardstepped would be close. In terms of pure stiffness though, the 130X is insanely firm in the grip and midsection and only the tip is mildly softer than a TT DG steel shaft (which have firmer tips.) DG has a softer grip section. But enhanced EI profiles are tricky and butt clamping for CPMs is skewed with how current shafts monkey with wall thicknesses.

>

> close - but the biggest difference is in the mid section.

>

> ya14hepq6ecd.png

>

>

>

What does the graph look like between the X7s and S400s? That has to be pretty wild...

> @Tugu said:

> > @Snowman9000 said:

> > I gathered that the shaft change was to help get the ball up on the lower lofted irons. BD said something a few days ago about working on his lower lofted irons to improve the trajectory. I can't recall if he was talking to someone on the range, or what, but I saw it on TV.

>

> Thank God he said this cause the lower lofted irons in single length set simply dont fly/carry nearly enough. I'm shocked so many people play the Cobra 4 iron. I'm super interested in the concept but have yet to see any of the existing designs deliver a towering long iron shot.

> This is coming from someone who just needs a legit excuse to switch.

In reading that article, it looks like it was the wedges that bothered him, not the lower loft irons. With his swing speed he probably gets enough height out of all of his irons.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @kenoneputt said:

> > @Tugu said:

> > > @Snowman9000 said:

> > > I gathered that the shaft change was to help get the ball up on the lower lofted irons. BD said something a few days ago about working on his lower lofted irons to improve the trajectory. I can't recall if he was talking to someone on the range, or what, but I saw it on TV.

> >

> > Thank God he said this cause the lower lofted irons in single length set simply dont fly/carry nearly enough. I'm shocked so many people play the Cobra 4 iron. I'm super interested in the concept but have yet to see any of the existing designs deliver a towering long iron shot.

> > This is coming from someone who just needs a legit excuse to switch.

>

> I know at least one person who's had a full Edel fitting and before he went the rep. assured him that he'd be hitting the 5 iron as high as he wanted (wasn't planning a 4 iron). They claim to had fiddled with the shafts, with help from Paderson, to create three separate profiles that allow them to prevent the super-high short irons and low long irons.

> After the fitting, he was a complete believer.

>

> How does that work for someone like me, who's not going to drop Edel money on a set of irons?

>

> Well, I've been wondering if I could get similar results by taking a set of shafts and tip trimming them as if I was using variable-length heads. IOW, the 4 iron would be soft-stepped about four times, and the wedge would be hard-stepped about the same.

>

> I have a set of the affordable Pinhawks that a friend gave me, with shafts that are too stiff. I hit the short irons normal-ish distance, but a mile in the air. (Not much of a problem as I am a low-ball hitter.)

>

> But the 4 iron barely gets waist high and carries less than half of what I should get.

> I've got to pull them apart and find some "affordable" shafts, so I can try the experiment.

It may cost more to experiment than buy some used Cobra SL long irons. Don't get the forged model. I don't have the 4, but I hit the 5 iron pretty damn high and love everything about it.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @markheardjr said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Yep. S400 isn’t soft at all. Probably very very close to 130x modus.

> >

> > You say you have 130X in your 681 irons and you think 130X is comparable to S400?? I can't comment directly on CPMs. by terms of feel they are not even close. Maybe 130S and S400 hardstepped would be close. In terms of pure stiffness though, the 130X is insanely firm in the grip and midsection and only the tip is mildly softer than a TT DG steel shaft (which have firmer tips.) DG has a softer grip section. But enhanced EI profiles are tricky and butt clamping for CPMs is skewed with how current shafts monkey with wall thicknesses.

>

> close - but the biggest difference is in the mid section.

>

> ya14hepq6ecd.png

>

>

>

Now apply a quotient that translates to feel for the golfer.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter