sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8

Shuv,

Regarding a current WITB, really need to post one- haven't done so in a few years. If signature not showing, I have a "few"? r510tp variants hotmelted and with Fujikura TS shafts of varying profiles. Also like a small, open face angle 4 wood, having carried a Taylormade 200 tour 17* Duffy head for years until it finally cracked, an old favorite Cleveland Launcher deepface 17* with another Fuji (shocking?) has finally claimed the starting role. Irons were 962b for 18+ years, prior to that were Founders Club 200 series blades and may have a few of those hoarded?Minimal to no offset irons with bit of sole relief seem to suit well, currently using a quite overlooked set of Tour Edge Exotics forged cavities to quite promising results. Irons and wedges must have hardstepped once s400 with GPTV 58R logo under and quite a bit of particular taping. Flowneck putters are a requirement being left eye dominant, and although many rotate in and out, an old lead taped Zing2 BeCu always finds its way back for any round of real importance. Sorry for the hijack and hope you enjoy the time on course with friends and family.

Mitch

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

> @Mitchell said:

> Shuv,

> Regarding a current WITB, really need to post one- haven't done so in a few years. If signature not showing, I have a "few"? r510tp variants hotmelted and with Fujikura TS shafts of varying profiles. Also like a small, open face angle 4 wood, having carried a Taylormade 200 tour 17* Duffy head for years until it finally cracked, an old favorite Cleveland Launcher deepface 17* with another Fuji (shocking?) has finally claimed the starting role. Irons were 962b for 18+ years, prior to that were Founders Club 200 series blades and may have a few of those hoarded?Minimal to no offset irons with bit of sole relief seem to suit well, currently using a quite overlooked set of Tour Edge Exotics forged cavities to quite promising results. Irons and wedges must have hardstepped once s400 with GPTV 58R logo under and quite a bit of particular taping. Flowneck putters are a requirement being left eye dominant, and although many rotate in and out, an old lead taped Zing2 BeCu always finds its way back for any round of real importance. Sorry for the hijack and hope you enjoy the time on course with friends and family.

> Mitch

Don't you dare apologise for talking golf on here @Mitchell !

I'm pleased to find another retro friend :) And from what you're gaming - we could literally be 'twins'. I could easily grab your whole bag right now and stick it straight into play. I mean what old-skool fanatic wouldn't relish the opportunity to have a few swishes with an R510 TP, Cleveland Launcher etc etc.

Ha !! Another with an elongated gripping routine. Its your only contact point. Needs to be 200% correct right ? If you missed it; i'm a stretched out TV ribbed man. It takes me an eternity and often many grips to get the right 'feel'. 3 tries / grips on any of the longer clubs is not out of the norm.....

YES pleeeeeeeease do a WITB. I'm begging you. Get some pics and upload straight to the site her now. Its really simple. So simple even i can manage it.

You too with enjoying the 2019 season buddy. Take dead aim.......

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

> @gentles said:

> @sevenfourate what is your method for getting your irons to have that satin look? I have the same UDI and wonder how yours looks with the satin finish.

Hi buddy. For my irons I use a foam sanding block. Available from most DIY stores. Rectangular in shape and come in combinations (each side of the block) of course and medium grade , or medium and fine usually. You soon learn on any cast stainless irons which way it’s best for the grain to go.

However the UDI is a chrome plated forged club. (And I haven’t done mine) You would get away with ‘satanising’ it a few times - but would have careful you didn’t go through and compromise the plating.

Any questions - just shout.

• sevenfourate changed the title to sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !!

NOS and ‘Old School Cool’. In my book….

Never been hooked, sliced, abused or thrown. Soon change that  🤣

06329034-45F7-4526-8021-B1629384162A.jpeg

• Like 3

Re-gripping of the new irons complete. Along with final finishing of all the new wood / iron ferrules, renewing all the paint-fill on the irons - and a general clean-up / mini 're-furb' of everything.

IRONS:

3k4YZ81.jpg

FULL BAG:

UwaRVO2.jpg

WEDGES:

JtkfT8P.jpg

THE ONLY THINGS IN MY POCKET WHILE PLAYING:

7Zsuarg.jpg

LOVE THESE GLOVES:

nMMiy3m.jpg

NAPA LEATHER:  SCOTT READMAN CONCEPTS - COVER DOING WELL FOR ITS YEARS OF USE: 

b1I3Dir.jpg

AND YES: I USE HEADCOVERS. LOTS OF THEM. ISSUES WITH THAT ARE DEFINITELY YOURS - NOT MINE 🤣

H5sRWvg.jpg

First game with the new set-up this afternoon. Wish me luck…….

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 4

Zing 2 are the absolute worst looking ping iron ever produced 😃

Then those Mizuno CLK hybrids....I'm starting to believe you have a fugly fetish

That being said.... you rock that set up proudly- hopefully you'll shoot lights out as a just reward for the time & effort

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

Lol; Yup - the irons are no Mizuno TP series from address. And it’s been said before: anything old, clunky and ugly will make its way into my bag at some point 🤣

Couple under for yesterday’s 9 hole inauguration - with some decent ball striking.  We’ll see if they last……

Good golfing yourself

Glad to see someone else front line playing vintage irons. I am not really a Hybrid man myself but for some reason the ones you have look good to me. And yes as we get older and sometimes like me old and injured we have to make shaft changes. And if we were doing a pick up game and are choosing partners " I would pull the guy with the Zing irons and TM bag". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

31 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Glad to see someone else front line playing vintage irons. I am not really a Hybrid man myself but for some reason the ones you have look good to me. And yes as we get older and sometimes like me old and injured we have to make shaft changes. And if we were doing a pick up game and are choosing partners " I would pull the guy with the Zing irons and TM bag". 

The Hybrids are solid Stu; and clean and simple at address.

But hey - if you’re ‘even older school’ than me and a non hybrid dude: I understand that better than most…..😎

I’m now genuinely excited going softer / easier to use shaft wise. Vanity doesn’t hold your hand when you’re out there on your own and up against it 👎 And very early signs are encouraging…..

Ha ! Compliments for being “virtually picked” to be on Captain Stu’s Team; gracefully accepted ️ 

Stay safe…..

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

The Hybrids are solid Stu; and clean and simple at address.

But hey - if you’re ‘even older school’ than me and a non hybrid dude: I understand that better than most…..😎

I’m now genuinely excited going softer / easier to use shaft wise. Vanity doesn’t hold your hand when you’re out there on your own and up against it 👎 And very early signs are encouraging…..

Ha ! Compliments for being “virtually picked” to be on Captain Stu’s Team; gracefully accepted ️ 

Stay safe…..

Yep I seem to be more consistant with high lofted fairways. Love my 7 wood. Even back in the day I carried a little old Northwestern 6 wood even though I still carried and used a 1 iron. 

And you are 110% correct on the vanity shafts In my case vanity really means a lot that night when full of Vicadan with a heating pad on my back. Yep I will take my softer shafts any day now. The ship has sailed for me on the days of X-100 and even S-300s at this time. Oh well we soldier on

• Like 3

Perhaps not worthy of offering commentary in your WITB thread.  As an ever aspiring bogey hacker to a +1 stick.  Only stumbled into it because Big Stu's post caught my eye this morning.  Love the Old Skool WITB!!!!  Exactly where I'm at when it comes to choosing the implements that are bagged and played.  Much more intriguing discovering really good classic implements and modifying them to current realities.  Realizing that they continue to "game" a golf ball pretty damn good.  Of the opinion that being an old skool equipment contrarian is the new hotness, in a "those in the know" sort of way.  So much to like.  

NOS Z2's.  Yeah, the personification of old, clunky and ugly.  Although they are less fugly than the Z's (some of the egregiousness has been smoothed out, especially on the toe).   And by all accounts, still remain extraordinary irons to play.  By certain metrics, the numbers still hold up well compared to current designs.  I'm bagging one generation newer, BeNi ISI's.  Installed some old skool shafts (TT Dynalite Gold XP) in regular.   Full set (4 - SW) was $50 cheap also.  Kind of a no brainer.  Play quite well for a 25+ year old design (How can that be?)  I have a narrow sole thing.  They do have some usage marks on them.  Thus no concerns with beating them into terra firms.  Anyhow, they play commensurate with the quality of my swing on any given day.  No one in my golfing circle has any idea what they are.  

Grafalloy ProLaunch.  Such good shafts from BITD.  Still have PL Blues in a couple clubs long retired.  Always liked how they played, especially in fairways.  Is "something else" going to work that much better?  As a high ball hitter, have a several PL Platinums installed in some fairways.  Like Stu, a high loft fairway user.  Although I'm noticing hybrids nowadays with a larger head than my V-Steel 9 wood.  Use PL Red Axis iron shafts in a modern set of non-OEM heads.   Have a rudimentary understanding of what might work and go with it.  Install and field test.  Not being good enough to obsess over LM data points has its benefits.  

Headcovers are cool.  Especially non-denominational ones.  Black knits with poms...splendid.  

Sorry for the divergence into my bag rather than yours.  Just saw so much to like in your WITB that has a measure of familiarity.  Now a young 70, I'm as good at playing golf as I'll ever be.  Which isn't saying much as I rarely practice and never had a lesson.  So it is what it is.  I'd rather just go play.  Might as well do it with a kool old skool bag of implements.  Cuz' playing a full new bag of stuff, risks being labeled a "poser" once my golf swing is witnessed.   Being an old school poser flies under the radar.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

6 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Perhaps not worthy of offering commentary in your WITB thread.  As an ever aspiring bogey hacker to a +1 stick.  Only stumbled into it because Big Stu's post caught my eye this morning.  Love the Old Skool WITB!!!!  Exactly where I'm at when it comes to choosing the implements that are bagged and played.  Much more intriguing discovering really good classic implements and modifying them to current realities.  Realizing that they continue to "game" a golf ball pretty damn good.  Of the opinion that being an old skool equipment contrarian is the new hotness, in a "those in the know" sort of way.  So much to like.  

NOS Z2's.  Yeah, the personification of old, clunky and ugly.  Although they are less fugly than the Z's (some of the egregiousness has been smoothed out, especially on the toe).   And by all accounts, still remain extraordinary irons to play.  By certain metrics, the numbers still hold up well compared to current designs.  I'm bagging one generation newer, BeNi ISI's.  Installed some old skool shafts (TT Dynalite Gold XP) in regular.   Full set (4 - SW) was $50 cheap also.  Kind of a no brainer.  Play quite well for a 25+ year old design (How can that be?)  I have a narrow sole thing.  They do have some usage marks on them.  Thus no concerns with beating them into terra firms.  Anyhow, they play commensurate with the quality of my swing on any given day.  No one in my golfing circle has any idea what they are.  

Grafalloy ProLaunch.  Such good shafts from BITD.  Still have PL Blues in a couple clubs long retired.  Always liked how they played, especially in fairways.  Is "something else" going to work that much better?  As a high ball hitter, have a several PL Platinums installed in some fairways.  Like Stu, a high loft fairway user.  Although I'm noticing hybrids nowadays with a larger head than my V-Steel 9 wood.  Use PL Red Axis iron shafts in a modern set of non-OEM heads.   Have a rudimentary understanding of what might work and go with it.  Install and field test.  Not being good enough to obsess over LM data points has its benefits.  

Headcovers are cool.  Especially non-denominational ones.  Black knits with poms...splendid.  

Sorry for the divergence into my bag rather than yours.  Just saw so much to like in your WITB that has a measure of familiarity.  Now a young 70, I'm as good at playing golf as I'll ever be.  Which isn't saying much as I rarely practice and never had a lesson.  So it is what it is.  I'd rather just go play.  Might as well do it with a kool old skool bag of implements.  Cuz' playing a full new bag of stuff, risks being labeled a "poser" once my golf swing is witnessed.   Being an old school poser flies under the radar.  

Absolutely Brilliant ! Glad my likes and loves: tickle your fancy also. 

Yes,yes YES !….. ISI BeNi’s we’re right in my radar too. Never found a set in the condition that appealed though. Fantastic sticks….

Same goes for V-Steel. What I’d really love is for an immaculate 16.5 degree / 4 wood head to appear on eBay here in the U.K. - so I can snag it and have a play around. Not happened yet. There’s been a few beat up versions appear - but my ‘normal’ refinishing guy has left the trade now too 😒

Anyway - glad to hear I’m not alone in this semi-retro, non adjustable, non black PVD finish; equipment World - and thanks for your thoughts.

Health to play well Sir….

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Absolutely Brilliant ! Glad my likes and loves: tickle your fancy also. 

Yes,yes YES !….. ISI BeNi’s we’re right in my radar too. Never found a set in the condition that appealed though. Fantastic sticks….

Same goes for V-Steel. What I’d really love is for an immaculate 16.5 degree / 4 wood head to appear on eBay here in the U.K. - so I can snag it and have a play around. Not happened yet. There’s been a few beat up versions appear - but my ‘normal’ refinishing guy has left the trade now too 😒

Anyway - glad to hear I’m not alone in this semi-retro, non adjustable, non black PVD finish; equipment World - and thanks for your thoughts.

Health to play well Sir….

Yeah, the Ni's play nice.  Like most of WITB, became intrigued by commentary read on WRX.  Not like I could go out and demo them.  Leap of faith based on online chatter.  

My V-Steels were acquired on the cheap.  Was primarily head shopping.  Sent a 5 wood head out for a professional refinish that cost 3x what I paid for the head.  Subsequently thought that was kinda dumb.  So when I found a 4w, decided to DIY refinish.  V's are a rather easy head to refinish due to the uncomplicated design.  Tape off the paint to bare metal transitions with narrow pinstripping tape.  Multiple rattle can coats (primer + 3x) of satin black.  A very light sand between coats.  "Buffed" up the sole and face with extra fine sandpaper prior to painting.  Came out better than expected.  Not quite OE pristine, but close enough.  Likely will refurb a 7 wood head this off season as I'm planning to install a different shaft.  FWIW.  

Play Your Best.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Yeah, the Ni's play nice.  Like most of WITB, became intrigued by commentary read on WRX.  Not like I could go out and demo them.  Leap of faith based on online chatter.  

My V-Steels were acquired on the cheap.  Was primarily head shopping.  Sent a 5 wood head out for a professional refinish that cost 3x what I paid for the head.  Subsequently thought that was kinda dumb.  So when I found a 4w, decided to DIY refinish.  V's are a rather easy head to refinish due to the uncomplicated design.  Tape off the paint to bare metal transitions with narrow pinstripping tape.  Multiple rattle can coats (primer + 3x) of satin black.  A very light sand between coats.  "Buffed" up the sole and face with extra fine sandpaper prior to painting.  Came out better than expected.  Not quite OE pristine, but close enough.  Likely will refurb a 7 wood head this off season as I'm planning to install a different shaft.  FWIW.  

Play Your Best.  

Yep I touched up that 7 wood the same way you did yours about 8 years ago now used Duplicolor Auto rattle can paint. Needs it again but WTH? I aint doing it at this stage. My V-Steel 3 wood is another thing. This one I found on the junk pile a few years back and frankly had it stuffed in a bag in the back of the shop. Found it looking for a siutable shaft for another V Steel head I have and LOL that head is pristine. Got to looking and it had a suitable shaft for me. That head is rougher than a night in the county jail but the face has no scars or wear. Threw it in the bag and it has been there since. Played Saturday in the scramble with yet another pick up team. One of my partners was a jam up good guy but that old V-Steel kept up with his new Callaway 3 wood--- Yeah A 18 year old "Outdated" 3 wood with an old 13 years or so shaft keeping up with the latest and greatest. Now I will admit he was 5 yards or so longer off the tee than me with his Cally driver. Irons were another story he was hitting jacked lofted TMs of some kind moot point he was 2 clubs longer with the irons. We did not win or place in the prize slots but that team we had a ball. Liked it so much we decided to keep the team together for this week. Sorta got the old cut back and swinging about 99% now with no pain. I sorta figgure I am like Freddie Couples in that matter--- If the back is working I am hitting and playing good if it aint working good well one of those days

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I am like Freddie Couples in that matter--- If the back is working I am hitting and playing good if it aint working good well one of those days

I hear you Stu. I'm 'only' 50 in a couple of weeks. Already its clear that age soon creeps up on and influences your golf game.

I never take video. I'm the least technical person ever. But for some reason felt inclined to today. It don't take long to realise age, an increasing waist-line and these all-to-common aches and pains really start to define how you swing it in older age !

Onwards and upwards indeed. Oh: and maybe outwards 🤣

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

I hear you Stu. I'm 'only' 50 in a couple of weeks. Already its clear that age soon creeps up on and influences your golf game.

I never take video. I'm the least technical person ever. But for some reason felt inclined to today. It don't take long to realise age, an increasing waist-line and these all-to-common aches and pains really start to define how you swing it in older age !

Onwards and upwards indeed. Oh: and maybe outwards 🤣

I started losing distance about 52 or so. Played the blue tees until I was 52 Got away with it so to speak because I was a decent long iron and utility wood player. A young Pro friend of mine that I had helped pass his PAT test took me to the side and told me I needed to move up a set. He was correct and I threw my testerone card away and moved up one set to the white tees. Could not wait until I turned 60 to move up to the senior tees. Now days I am getting in decent shape due to me working out every day and getting more flexable. Actually I have picked up driver distance from before the accident. Which my back is getting stronger and stronger and pain and stiffness is less frequent now

• Like 4

Mr. 748.  Finally noted (hidden in plain sight) the start date of your WITB thread.  So I took a digital stroll this early morning hour from the beginning.  Holy smokes!  You are a club putzer extraordinaire.  Going to keep my advisement fingers off the keyboard from here on out and just follow along.   Really good stuff, things learned.  An interesting evolutionary tale.  

I consider my trifle club tinkering an enjoyable endeavor quite separate from the playing.  A process of discovery and learning in and of itself.  I've got stuff around that I've fussed over, and taken out to actually play golf with maybe twice.  Implements that have been acquired then liquidated for no other reason than they were sitting around unused.  

Following along now.  You've piqued my curiosity what "vintage" set mentioned elsewhere is in the works.  

Very nice swing BTW.  Smooth and easy, nice turn.  A very serviceable "getting older guy" swing.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Mr. 748.  Finally noted (hidden in plain sight) the start date of your WITB thread.  So I took a digital stroll this early morning hour from the beginning.  Holy smokes!  You are a club putzer extraordinaire.  Going to keep my advisement fingers off the keyboard from here on out and just follow along.   Really good stuff, things learned.  An interesting evolutionary tale.  

I consider my trifle club tinkering an enjoyable endeavor quite separate from the playing.  A process of discovery and learning in and of itself.  I've got stuff around that I've fussed over, and taken out to actually play golf with maybe twice.  Implements that have been acquired then liquidated for no other reason than they were sitting around unused.  

Following along now.  You've piqued my curiosity what "vintage" set mentioned elsewhere is in the works.  

Very nice swing BTW.  Smooth and easy, nice turn.  A very serviceable "getting older guy" swing.  

Ha ! Hiya buddy…….

My life-issue 😂 is I’m a Virgo star sign; who true to form is utterly anal about anything. Or perhaps everything I do. Being an Engineer by trade these days - only complicates things further. There’s pretty much no Grey in my eyes. It’s either black or white / right or wrong here….. 

The recent ‘re-build’ of the set (Shafting of 4 woods / hybrids and gripping of 12 clubs total) is typical.
     I’m sure a club maker would need to turn this out in 3 hours or less to be competitive on price - even allowing for placement / stretching of the Ribbed grips etc. I took a little over 16 hours. Everything just had to be perfect and identical on every club. To be fair that also gives me clarity in my mind once playing them - to NEVER to have to doubt the specs / be able to blame my eqpt. My faith in them is total. That’s all you can wish for as a golfer. Golf is hard enough as it is. The only variable is me !! 

You a car guy by any chance ? That’s my passion more than golf.  I’ve currently got a couple of individual threads going on forums for both my toys (Porsche Cayman and what you guys (***I take it from some of the words / language used your a US Citizen ?) call a Miata. Or Mazda MX-5 here in the U.K. And they make this one look trivial and straightforward 🤣

Great to hear you love messing around with equipment yourself too. You can learn a lot by tinkering with your clubs. I’m no expert trained club technician. I’ve more learned from trial, error, having a go and taking things to extremes. Finding the middle ground then becomes a whole lot easier….

Thanks for you interest and kind words 🙏

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Mr. 748

Well spotted on the username too 👍

Derived from the need to create a username on the very first forum [Ducati based……and 748 is the model of bike I had back then] that I  joined over 30 years ago. 

Ive stuck with; and used it on every forum since. Creature of habit I guess….

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 4

Noting comments in the grip thread.  Don't know if you do the Facebook thing.  I only joined so I can buy and sell on Marketplace and participate in several golf and equipment groups that are of interest.  Old School Ping group (OSP).  Persimmon Golf Society (PGS).  Both have related buy and sell groups. Find both to be worthwhile and informative.  The OSP group has a number of present and former Ping employees participating.  One of them arranged for a real time video with John Solheim (Pres.) a month or so back that was very interesting.  

Know OSP was started by a UK mate (Andy Crown).   Believe PGS as well.  Both have strong and active UK participation.  Both have had recent gatherings to play old skool.  Checking, there's a PGS P & B event scheduled for 9/15 at Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria.  No idea where that's at in proximity to your locale.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/224999788715463/?multi_permalinks=536022874279818

https://www.facebook.com/groups/189830219415

I check in on this one as well.  Being a golf club scrounger, I'm always on the look out for quality old school (even new school) clubs that I can acquire on the dirt cheap.  For personal use, or more typical to "flip" for a profit.  To finance acquisitions of "something else" yet to be discovered.  This old school business is how I stumbled into GolfWRX, the classic section, back in 2013.  Looking for information on an old Ping Anser putter that I found at a thrift store.  Back in a time when I had but one bag of golf clubs.  Why did anyone need more than that?  Now I have multiples, damn things proliferated like rabbits.  And but a trifle compared to some.  I fuss around with them, tart them up, maybe play them once in awhile.  Seems like a worthwhile endeavor.   Definitely a "thrill of the hunt" is involved.  Finding a set of Ping K15 irons (hideous things) and hybrids for a $1.00 apiece and flipping them for a very good ROI paid for my slightly used modern D (400 Max).  Pickers and Collectors:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/255089844540763/?multi_permalinks=4336377506411956

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with your comments above.  I don't need or want anyone touching, messing around with my clubs.  I'm confident in my putzing abilities to know that they're done right.  Important to have an understanding of process and procedures involved, but it's not quite the mystical "rocket science" that it's made out to be.  Unless one is striving for the "n'th" degree of optimization.  On occasion, have corrected some botched jobs done by others on some of my mate's clubs.  Replaced a broken shaft or two.   Once I was able to convince them I knew what the hell I was doing.  Do have a bender that I trust to adjust my lofts and lies when needed.  Investing in a good bending machine is to pricey for infrequent use.  Being taller with shortish arms, most all clubs that are played with regularity have to be extended and adjusted upright by ~2*.   

Even though I live about 45 miles NW of Detroit, Michigan, the Motor City, not really a car guy.  Never been much of a mechanic.  At one time (in my 20's) did have a go fast car.  But it was short lived.  I'm aware of both cars you have.  Sweet.  A bud's wife drives a Miata as her summer car.  Don't think I could co-exist with one very long.  Kinda cramped inside.  Where do I put all my stuff (i.e golf bag)?  My whip is a mundane old man's mini Van.  Boring as hell.  Plenty of room to transport my stuff around though.  

Now if I were to win the lotto, I'd be driving to the country club in something jaunty.  Prop the leather bag filled with pristine old school clubs in the passenger seat.  Squire the Mrs. around the countryside for an afternoon drive.  Since I got funds, have people to perform all the maintenance to perfection.  This outta do it.  British Racing Green with tan hides only please.  

78da7d6f7148df07895586b9c94c0869.jpg.e7d71064e9b0392df598a26e270ef084.jpg   

Digressing even further off topic.  Why a Jag?  Richard Pryor offered the best reason.  

• Like 3

An update:

Woods shafts: As yet little practice time with them. And I’ll give no thoughts here until I’m sure I’ve given them a fair test in a selection of weather conditions. I’ve got two weeks off work from the middle of next  week. So will be getting plenty of golf in with my son then……

Ping Zing2 irons: In essence the love is real. Fresh grooves on the shorter irons is clearly making a huge difference - literally can’t get a chip / pitch to the hole 🤣  As someone who’s short game is spin based; it’s making a lot of difference. Can only be a good thing going forward….

Love the shape of the heads, the feel off the face - and the JZ shafts feel stiff enough: while clearly feeling a lot less harsh than the previous PX 6.5’s.

And I’ve definitely gained a little bit of apex height - one of the two changes I was looking for. Brilliant and all good 👍 Not quite:

I also appear to have lost distance on the shorter irons. From 4 to 8 iron seem ok. But 9 iron is maybe shorter than previous; from the reasonable amount of play I’ve gotten in so far. The PW is way shorter. Half a club - or more I’d say. NOT what I was looking for. Not even measured myself yet - but looks visually weak IMO.

So - I’m booked in next Friday to have the loft / lies checked adjusted as needed on the irons; and a general gapping session over the whole bag.

Onwards, upwards. And sideways 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

I also appear to have lost distance on the shorter irons. From 4 to 8 iron seem ok. But 9 iron is maybe shorter than previous; from the reasonable amount of play I’ve gotten in so far. The PW is way shorter. Half a club - or more I’d say. NOT what I was looking for. Not even measured myself yet - but looks visually weak IMO.

I'm playing a set similar to your Pings in the form of a cloned set of irons that were built to the same specs as original Ping Eye/Eye 2 irons in terms of loft and lie.  Typically these irons fly about a club shorter than my modern GI irons (TM Burner +) from 2010 vintage which more or less reflects the difference in loft and length.  As you have noted though, the big trick to this is that the PW @49° is way shorter than the modern AW @50°.  In fact, I feel as though there isn't a lot to chose between my old school PW and the SW @57°. 

FWIW, it's easy enough to check the lofts yourself by installing a clinometer app on your phone and measuring lofts that way.  It's reasonably accurate once you have the shaft clamped square to the ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

35 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

I'm playing a set similar to your Pings in the form of a cloned set of irons that were built to the same specs as original Ping Eye/Eye 2 irons in terms of loft and lie.  Typically these irons fly about a club shorter than my modern GI irons (TM Burner +) from 2010 vintage which more or less reflects the difference in loft and length.  As you have noted though, the big trick to this is that the PW @49° is way shorter than the modern AW @50°.  In fact, I feel as though there isn't a lot to chose between my old school PW and the SW @57°. 

FWIW, it's easy enough to check the lofts yourself by installing a clinometer app on your phone and measuring lofts that way.  It's reasonably accurate once you have the shaft clamped square to the ground.

Thanks for the info. Yes the wedge in particular looks, feels and flies particularly’Old Skool’ ! 
The rest I can live with / is kind of what I’m used to; and doesn’t bother me. However with the wedge it’s giving a gap issue [Or lack of !] between that and my 52 degree. So I just intent on strengthening the lofts at the bottom end of the Pings. And blending those in to the longer stuff….

Thanks for tip on the measuring app. I’m an engineer by trade and could easily measure lofts at work. However: the most important thing is setting the yardage gaps of my clubs. And irrespective of what it is - it’s no good 🤣 I had considered doing it out of interest of course. But again - more to the point - it’s probably more about getting the gaps right for me / consistent on the setup the club maker will be using next week.

Thanks again for your thoughts. All interesting stuff.

Good golfing ️ 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 5:50 AM, Fellaheen51 said:

Noting comments in the grip thread.  Don't know if you do the Facebook thing.  I only joined so I can buy and sell on Marketplace and participate in several golf and equipment groups that are of interest.  Old School Ping group (OSP).  Persimmon Golf Society (PGS).  Both have related buy and sell groups. Find both to be worthwhile and informative.  The OSP group has a number of present and former Ping employees participating.  One of them arranged for a real time video with John Solheim (Pres.) a month or so back that was very interesting.  

Know OSP was started by a UK mate (Andy Crown).   Believe PGS as well.  Both have strong and active UK participation.  Both have had recent gatherings to play old skool.  Checking, there's a PGS P & B event scheduled for 9/15 at Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria.  No idea where that's at in proximity to your locale.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/224999788715463/?multi_permalinks=536022874279818

https://www.facebook.com/groups/189830219415

I check in on this one as well.  Being a golf club scrounger, I'm always on the look out for quality old school (even new school) clubs that I can acquire on the dirt cheap.  For personal use, or more typical to "flip" for a profit.  To finance acquisitions of "something else" yet to be discovered.  This old school business is how I stumbled into GolfWRX, the classic section, back in 2013.  Looking for information on an old Ping Anser putter that I found at a thrift store.  Back in a time when I had but one bag of golf clubs.  Why did anyone need more than that?  Now I have multiples, damn things proliferated like rabbits.  And but a trifle compared to some.  I fuss around with them, tart them up, maybe play them once in awhile.  Seems like a worthwhile endeavor.   Definitely a "thrill of the hunt" is involved.  Finding a set of Ping K15 irons (hideous things) and hybrids for a $1.00 apiece and flipping them for a very good ROI paid for my slightly used modern D (400 Max).  Pickers and Collectors:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/255089844540763/?multi_permalinks=4336377506411956

The only reason I went on FB period was for the PGS. But as with anything I get associated with it expands. Once I got on there I got friend requests from folks I raced cars with and trucked with. I do not get into the political BS on there.

On the club hoeing thing I eveolved. Back before we opened the golf shop in like 02 or so I was not really a club ho. I played the same set of Power Bilt Citation blades ( 66 model horseshoe thin soled) for like 12 years. Wore them and my R-90 out. Around 89 or so went to the first set of VIPs. The club business as my late partner Big John ran it opened a whole new world to me as far as trying new clubs. After we closed the shop I ended up with a lot of stuff and then when Big John passed I ended up with a lot more. Ended up driving a truck for a scrap metal company and it escalated from there. Actually before I worked at the scrap company I had already been cruising yard sales and thrift stores. Now I need to thin the heard I have ran out of room. I did sell a lot of more modern stuff ( CBs and stuff like that) the other week. I am going to really thin down because we may buy a new place or be moving

So the day finally came: and a 120 mile round-trip was done to get the lofts of the Ping Zing2’s checked and adjusted as needed. Why no-one local would attack them I’ve no idea. Mention ‘cast’ heads and they all trembled in fear.

**The Pro doing them had a decent set-up: and they bent surprisingly easily…. 🙄

The whole set (Bought new in Aug 21 - but born in 2005) were pretty much on spec as you’d expect. Apart from the 8,9 and PW (?) which were all on spec for lie angle. But seemingly carrying (Pardon the pun) weak lofts. Not what Ping had recorded for the specs of this set - which was standard lofts and lies !

So these were swiftly and efficiently dealt with and adjusted / strengthened to:

8 iron: 38 degrees.

9 iron 42 degrees.

PW 46 degrees.

Which funnily enough 🤨 is exactly where my previous X-22 Tour lofts were at…..

On paper these look like they are ‘strong’ compared to my 52 degree wedge - which is my next club down and I should have a bit of a yardage gap. But due to less tech in older irons, my technique or just the way things are: the gaps are again ‘perfect’.

Played the Par 3 track at my home club yesterday. Mainly so I could hit plenty is short irons. And I appear to be back to my norm with carries of 145, 130 and 115  yard respectively.

On another note: I took my Son to the first day of the BMW PGA at Wentworth Thursday.

He absolutely loved it - as you can see from his face in the pics. Gotta keep the next generation of golfers keen !!

0442EDF8-932E-42ED-B77C-DE02598B26BF.jpeg

1FA997B4-57AF-4E98-AB56-4E7FF3D1632F.jpeg

7170276B-0D34-458F-A584-7A236B3C0574.jpeg

D3ED6BF3-1188-4B99-8AB9-0D661F9AA06D.jpeg

45608E59-98D2-4178-A01C-6F01E517613E.jpeg

D0EDE4AA-5E19-4991-84C8-9B0BD48896E0.jpeg

984FCC41-1243-4C63-AEA8-1141D36FBED2.jpeg

F386C711-D156-499A-AA46-E7CAD3C15F4C.jpeg

FA2CD5AE-C870-4E0C-B536-D4AC17D266F2.jpeg

3538C7C2-6A6E-47D7-8970-F5E4A70D01AD.jpeg

• Like 3

Seems as though I recall reading there's some fussiness with getting Zings properly placed in a bending machine.  Certainly worth the drive to someone who knows what they're doing.  Do it right the first time and be done with it.  

Good for you, taking your son to the tournament.  The smile says it all.  Attending professional golf tournaments is such great fun.  Watching the pros play, up close and personal, is an amazing experience.  They hit the ball so pure!

Have many fond recollections of attending tournaments with my father.  With where I reside, been fortunate to have many regular PGA and USGA events nearby.  The Buick Open was a regular PGA tour stop (1958 - 2009) about 15 miles away.  First I can recall was back in the late 60's or thereabouts.  He worked for General Motors (Buick being a brand), so would always score free tickets. We'd usually attended on Friday, so we could watch everyone before the cut.  Make a day of it.  

Oakland Hills C. C. has hosted 6 U.S Open's and 3 PGA's over the years.  Attended the '79 PGA (David Graham winner) and the '91 U.S. Senior Open (Jack Nicklaus winner) with him.  The last tournament was the '04 Ryder Cup there.  Attending on Wednesday, practice day.  Wasn't overly crowded so could get pretty close.  We both made notice of how loose and engaging the Euros were.  Darren Clarke was something of a hoot as I recall.  Was joking around with a number of spectators, made a comment about being ready to go have a beer (LOL).  In stark contrast with the Americans, who all seemed rather uptight (except for Phil).  Not surprised that the Euros won the competition 18.5 to 9.5.  Based on nothing more than demeanor.  

Sadly, it was the last "event" we attended together.  He passed away that November 16th from a heart attack.  Out on a golf course (he was a pretty fair golfer), playing with friends, after winning a skin on the prior hole.  Just slumped over in the cart and passed.  We don't get to choose how we leave.  But given the eventuality, not a bad way to go.  

Take advantage of every opportunity to share experiences.  For time passes all too quickly.  

• Thanks 2

• sevenfourate changed the title to sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8