Bryson Dechambeau -- New grips?

Wdwfreak ·  
WdwfreakWdwfreak Wisconsin ProudMembers  1142WRX Points: 176Posts: 1,142 Platinum Tees

His grips have a red and blue pattern on them and on 18 Faldo mentioned he completely changed his setup because of the weight change in his grips, any Intel? Haven't heard anything about this.

Posted:
Callaway Mavrik Standard Tensei Pro White 70TX 44.5"
Titleist 16.5* TS3 Diamana White 80TX
Titleist 19.5* TS2 Ventus Blue 8X
Titleist 24.5* TS3 Hybrid 38.25" Project X LZ 6.5 125g
Cobra King Forged CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5 125g
Ping Glide 3.0 51-55-60 Project X LZ 6.5 125g
Ping Sigma 2 Wolverine H 34.5"

Comments

• Snowman9000Snowman9000 Members  1334WRX Points: 272Handicap: 10Posts: 1,334 Platinum Tees

Earlier Faldo said the new grips are 53 grams, down from 124 for his JumboMax ones. And he changed his shafts from something to DG S400. I do not find the color pattern on his new grips on anything in the Golfworks catalog. They look to be ordinary oversize/jumbo, and probably of the Winn type of construction to come in at only 53g.

Posted:
    M4 Driver
    5 Wood
    22º, 25º Hybrids
    4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
    54º, 58º Wedges
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000 Members  1334WRX Points: 272Handicap: 10Posts: 1,334 Platinum Tees

Nice, thanks!

Posted:
    M4 Driver
    5 Wood
    22º, 25º Hybrids
    54º, 58º Wedges
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • NokeNoke Unregistered  2239WRX Points: 298Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees

Thanks for the pics.

I wonder how/if he changed his head weighting. 60-70 grams less in the grip is a lot.

Posted:

On -, @nohny noke said:

Thanks for the pics.

I wonder how/if he changed his head weighting. 60-70 grams less in the grip is a lot.

I think Faldo said that they did change the head weighting. Although they would not be that out of line at the previous weight of 280 grams (or was it 284?) at 37.5 inches. A little heavy maybe. So I'm guessing just a little lightening of them.

Posted:
    M4 Driver
    5 Wood
    22º, 25º Hybrids
    54º, 58º Wedges
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • WdwfreakWdwfreak Wisconsin Proud Members  1142WRX Points: 176Posts: 1,142 Platinum Tees

Thanks for the information! May have to try these, I remarked awhile ago I'd try jumbomax again if they were lighter!

These are so much lighter it must've changed a lot, I usually hear 5 grams is 1 swingweight point so that comes to something around 13 ish swingweight points, really interesting. Wonder what his setup is now.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Standard Tensei Pro White 70TX 44.5"
    Titleist 16.5* TS3 Diamana White 80TX
    Titleist 19.5* TS2 Ventus Blue 8X
    Titleist 24.5* TS3 Hybrid 38.25" Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Cobra King Forged CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Ping Glide 3.0 51-55-60 Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Ping Sigma 2 Wolverine H 34.5"

Advertisement
  • NokeNoke Unregistered  2239WRX Points: 298Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees

On -, @Snowman9000 said:

On -, @nohny noke said:

Thanks for the pics.

I think Faldo said that they did change the head weighting. Although they would not be that out of line at the previous weight of 280 grams (or was it 284?) at 37.5 inches. A little heavy maybe. So I'm guessing just a little lightening of them.

I'm looking forward to seeing his new specs and explanation for the switch.

Side note - your G2 SL set inspired me to do the same at the higher-lofted end of the bag. I play Wishon 870ti's 5-PW and G2 U,S,L. 290g head weight at 36" with heavy Enlow grips. Thanks for the inspiration!

Posted:
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members  3776WRX Points: 696Handicap: 3.0Posts: 3,776 Titanium Tees

S400 is a bit surprising to me. IIRC he used to play DG X7s/ Modus 130X in the past. That's quite a change in stiffness

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

• MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 TX/CAMembers  1697WRX Points: 292Posts: 1,697 Platinum Tees

On -, @Golfingfanatic said:

S400 is a bit surprising to me. IIRC he used to play DG X7s/ Modus 130X in the past. That's quite a change in stiffness

I’m sure they frequency very similar in the new build though

Posted:
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,191Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees

Yep. S400 isn’t soft at all. Probably very very close to 130x modus.

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10352WRX Points: 3,551Handicap: 8Posts: 10,352 ClubWRX

On -, @bladehunter said:

I don't think they are that close in flex. Probably just in weight.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

Advertisement
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members  7379WRX Points: 193Handicap: 3.8Posts: 7,379 Titanium Tees

On -, @bladehunter said:

You say you have 130X in your 681 irons and you think 130X is comparable to S400?? I can't comment directly on CPMs. by terms of feel they are not even close. Maybe 130S and S400 hardstepped would be close. In terms of pure stiffness though, the 130X is insanely firm in the grip and midsection and only the tip is mildly softer than a TT DG steel shaft (which have firmer tips.) DG has a softer grip section. But enhanced EI profiles are tricky and butt clamping for CPMs is skewed with how current shafts **** with wall thicknesses.

Posted:
    NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 6.5
    TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ p9003TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

On -, @Wdwfreak said:

Thanks for the information! May have to try these, I remarked awhile ago I'd try jumbomax again if they were lighter!

These are so much lighter it must've changed a lot, I usually hear 5 grams is 1 swingweight point so that comes to something around 13 ish swingweight points, really interesting. Wonder what his setup is now.

His irons had swingweighted in the B range. I want to say B9? So with the new grips the swingweights should be quite normal.

Posted:
    M4 Driver
    5 Wood
    22º, 25º Hybrids
    54º, 58º Wedges
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini

I gathered that the shaft change was to help get the ball up on the lower lofted irons. BD said something a few days ago about working on his lower lofted irons to improve the trajectory. I can't recall if he was talking to someone on the range, or what, but I saw it on TV.

Posted:
    M4 Driver
    5 Wood
    22º, 25º Hybrids
    54º, 58º Wedges
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • TuguTugu Members  99WRX Points: 53Posts: 99 Fairways

On -, @Snowman9000 said:

I gathered that the shaft change was to help get the ball up on the lower lofted irons. BD said something a few days ago about working on his lower lofted irons to improve the trajectory. I can't recall if he was talking to someone on the range, or what, but I saw it on TV.

Thank God he said this cause the lower lofted irons in single length set simply dont fly/carry nearly enough. I'm shocked so many people play the Cobra 4 iron. I'm super interested in the concept but have yet to see any of the existing designs deliver a towering long iron shot.
    This is coming from someone who just needs a legit excuse to switch.

Posted:
  • trying2scratchtrying2scratch Members  1053WRX Points: 85Posts: 1,053 Bunkers

The changes are detailed here:
    www.golf.com/gear/irons/2019/04/12/bryson-dechambeau-irons-equipment-masters-2019/amp/

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25093WRX Points: 1,649Posts: 25,093 Titanium Tees

On -, @markheardjr said:

On -, @bladehunter said:

You say you have 130X in your 681 irons and you think 130X is comparable to S400?? I can't comment directly on CPMs. by terms of feel they are not even close. Maybe 130S and S400 hardstepped would be close. In terms of pure stiffness though, the 130X is insanely firm in the grip and midsection and only the tip is mildly softer than a TT DG steel shaft (which have firmer tips.) DG has a softer grip section. But enhanced EI profiles are tricky and butt clamping for CPMs is skewed with how current shafts **** with wall thicknesses.

close - but the biggest difference is in the mid section.

Posted:
  • kenoneputtkenoneputt Members  6WRX Points: 62Posts: 6 Bunkers

On -, @Tugu said:

On -, @Snowman9000 said:

Thank God he said this cause the lower lofted irons in single length set simply dont fly/carry nearly enough. I'm shocked so many people play the Cobra 4 iron. I'm super interested in the concept but have yet to see any of the existing designs deliver a towering long iron shot.

I know at least one person who's had a full Edel fitting and before he went the rep. assured him that he'd be hitting the 5 iron as high as he wanted (wasn't planning a 4 iron). They claim to had fiddled with the shafts, with help from Paderson, to create three separate profiles that allow them to prevent the super-high short irons and low long irons.
    After the fitting, he was a complete believer.

How does that work for someone like me, who's not going to drop Edel money on a set of irons?

Well, I've been wondering if I could get similar results by taking a set of shafts and tip trimming them as if I was using variable-length heads. IOW, the 4 iron would be soft-stepped about four times, and the wedge would be hard-stepped about the same.

I have a set of the affordable Pinhawks that a friend gave me, with shafts that are too stiff. I hit the short irons normal-ish distance, but a mile in the air. (Not much of a problem as I am a low-ball hitter.)

But the 4 iron barely gets waist high and carries less than half of what I should get.
    I've got to pull them apart and find some "affordable" shafts, so I can try the experiment.

Posted:
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX  4019WRX Points: 218Handicap: 3Posts: 4,019 ClubWRX

On -, @Stuart_G said:

On -, @markheardjr said:

On -, @bladehunter said:

What does the graph look like between the X7s and S400s? That has to be pretty wild...

Posted:
    G400 Max
    M6 3W
    RBZ Hybrid
    MP20 MMC 4 Iron
    MP20 MB 5-W
    Raw SM7s
    PM Grind 64*
    Special Select Newport 2

On -, @Tugu said:

On -, @Snowman9000 said:

In reading that article, it looks like it was the wedges that bothered him, not the lower loft irons. With his swing speed he probably gets enough height out of all of his irons.

Posted:
    M4 Driver
    5 Wood
    22º, 25º Hybrids
    54º, 58º Wedges
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 TX/CAMembers  1697WRX Points: 292Posts: 1,697 Platinum Tees

Yeah looks like the long iron shafts stayed the same and the short irons were changed to S400

Posted:
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's

Advertisement
  • capnstabncapnstabn Members  143WRX Points: 60Handicap: 18Posts: 143 Fairways

On -, @kenoneputt said:

On -, @Tugu said:

On -, @Snowman9000 said:

I know at least one person who's had a full Edel fitting and before he went the rep. assured him that he'd be hitting the 5 iron as high as he wanted (wasn't planning a 4 iron). They claim to had fiddled with the shafts, with help from Paderson, to create three separate profiles that allow them to prevent the super-high short irons and low long irons.
    After the fitting, he was a complete believer.

How does that work for someone like me, who's not going to drop Edel money on a set of irons?

Well, I've been wondering if I could get similar results by taking a set of shafts and tip trimming them as if I was using variable-length heads. IOW, the 4 iron would be soft-stepped about four times, and the wedge would be hard-stepped about the same.

I have a set of the affordable Pinhawks that a friend gave me, with shafts that are too stiff. I hit the short irons normal-ish distance, but a mile in the air. (Not much of a problem as I am a low-ball hitter.)

But the 4 iron barely gets waist high and carries less than half of what I should get.
    I've got to pull them apart and find some "affordable" shafts, so I can try the experiment.

It may cost more to experiment than buy some used Cobra SL long irons. Don't get the forged model. I don't have the 4, but I hit the 5 iron pretty **** high and love everything about it.

Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25093WRX Points: 1,649Posts: 25,093 Titanium Tees

On -, @gators78 said:

What does the graph look like between the X7s and S400s? That has to be pretty wild...

Sorry, I don't have the data for the X7's.

Posted:
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members  7379WRX Points: 193Handicap: 3.8Posts: 7,379 Titanium Tees

On -, @Stuart_G said:

On -, @markheardjr said:

On -, @bladehunter said:

Now apply a quotient that translates to feel for the golfer.

Posted:
    NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 6.5
    TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ p9003TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.