Random conversation thread

My 12 year old dog had to be put down today. Couldn't walk, barely breathing, couldn't keep down water. Vet said either medicine to prolong the inevitable maybe a month, in agony, or bring it to a close.

I don't know why dogs have to live only so long to live, you never get enough time...

Oh man I hate it for you guys> Our baby which was a 12 year old Boston Terrier had a seizure on new years day 2018 and had to be put down. We did adopt a Chiwawa that needed love and we have accepted each other well.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Sorry to hear about the dogs boys. Must be something in the air. I lost my chocolate Chesapeake Bay Retriever two weeks ago.

Oh man I hate to hear that too----- I know we become very close to them especially folks like my wife and I who have no children and no Grand kids.

Well - let's see if/when/how this new format receives a post in our little corner of the WRX world...the random conversation thread!

I will be interesting to see how things shake out here with the upgrade. These things take time, and I ain't going anywhere, so we will see.

In the meantime - hope all is well with everybody, and that you are dealing with your WRX jonesing each in your own way.

ciao bella

Well I figure it will pop up on rants and raves soon enough! I played Royal St. George’s yesterday in Sandwich. I shot 88 from the British Open Tees. I’m pretty proud of that; made a couple good pars along the way but birdie eluded me. (I also threw away some shots... next time!)

The best part for me was, by playing alone, I could do as I pleased on a famous and empty golf course. I can’t load videos, but I have one of me saying “On the tee from USAAA, James!” All jn all a great day

Now I’m back playing the old honmas I decided I would do something about the 10 iron (pw) which shaft is non honma and half an inch short for me .

So I went into the pro shop last Friday and asked if they could add half inch to butt.

Not a problem the pro said .

Yesterday I went in and asked the trainee pro if the Honma shaft had been done. The pro was away for three days .

Trainee pro “did it myself half inch cut off. “

Me “No I wanted half inch on.”

Trainee pro “NoI was told cut half inch.”

She bought the club out and I was in disbelief it was as long as my 8 iron shaft!

Me “you could not have cut half inch off you have added two inches.”

At this stage things were getting a little stressed.

Trainee pro “Don’t tell what I did I guarantee I cut half inch off. “

Trainee pro “ you want half inch added”

Me “ no I want it shortened to where I asked .

Trainee pro “ I thought you said you wanted half inch added now you want it shortened which I did.”

Me “ look it’s now as long as my eight iron and you can see how far down the grip was originally”

Trainee pro “ I don’t know anything about where the grip was I was told to take half and inch off the extension”

At this stage i was about to rip off the grip then.

Me “ It didn’t have an extension “

Trainee prob “ I can guarantee it did and does”

What we think happened

The pro had on the Friday taken off the grip , glued in an extension and left a note to the trainee ‘half inch’

. The trainee pro cut off half an inch.

Phew. To make things clearer I went and got the nine and asked the ten be cut down to the same size and left . Hell I hope she does not lengthen the nine to the ten.

> @Tommix said:

> Now I’m back playing the old honmas I decided I would do something about the 10 iron (pw) which shaft is non honma and half an inch short for me .

> So I went into the pro shop last Friday and asked if they could add half inch to butt.

> Not a problem the pro said .

> Yesterday I went in and asked the trainee pro if the Honma shaft had been done. The pro was away for three days .

> Trainee pro “did it myself half inch cut off. “

> Me “No I wanted half inch on.”

> Trainee pro “NoI was told cut half inch.”

> She bought the club out and I was in disbelief it was as long as my 8 iron shaft!

> Me “you could not have cut half inch off you have added two inches.”

> At this stage things were getting a little stressed.

> Trainee pro “Don’t tell what I did I guarantee I cut half inch off. “

> Trainee pro “ you want half inch added”

> Me “ no I want it shortened to where I asked .

> Trainee pro “ I thought you said you wanted half inch added now you want it shortened which I did.”

> Me “ look it’s now as long as my eight iron and you can see how far down the grip was originally”

> Trainee pro “ I don’t know anything about where the grip was I was told to take half and inch off the extension”

> At this stage i was about to rip off the grip then.

> Me “ It didn’t have an extension “

> Trainee prob “ I can guarantee it did and does”

> What we think happened

> The pro had on the Friday taken off the grip , glued in an extension and left a note to the trainee ‘half inch’

> . The trainee pro cut off half an inch.

> Phew. To make things clearer I went and got the nine and asked the ten be cut down to the same size and left . **** I hope she does not lengthen the nine to the ten.

>

>

>

Good example of something my old man told me many many moons ago---- "If you want something done right do it yourself"--- That is why I work on my own stuff. But IMHO that shop does not have it's act together--- A work order should have been written describing what needed to be done. Your Pro was also slack he should have left detailed instructions on what he did and what needed to be done while he was on vacation to properly complete the job. Communication is the key.

I remember the time a friend got his clubs regripped back in the early 80s.

He wanted to go from standard to something oversized, so he told his pro to "build them up." "How much?" I asked. Friend replied, "oh, I don't know. He just knows what to do." My reply. "OOOOOKAYYY."

Then he hands one of the clubs to me. The smell nearly knocked me down. It reeked of gasoline.

My friend said, "oh yeah, he kept getting them hung up trying to put them on, and he would go out and dip the grip into the gas tank of one of the carts so he could get them on the rest of the way." I don't know if the smell ever left those grips.

What Stu said. "DIY." After I had a couple of repair jobs that turned nothing like expected, I bought Ralph Maltby's books and never looked back.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

> @Shallowface said:

> I remember the time a friend got his clubs regripped back in the early 80s.

> He wanted to go from standard to something oversized, so he told his pro to "build them up." "How much?" I asked. Friend replied, "oh, I don't know. He just knows what to do." My reply. "OOOOOKAYYY."

> Then he hands one of the clubs to me. The smell nearly knocked me down. It reeked of gasoline.

> My friend said, "oh yeah, he kept getting them hung up trying to put them on, and he would go out and dip the grip into the gas tank of one of the carts so he could get them on the rest of the way." I don't know if the smell ever left those grips.

> What Stu said. "DIY." After I had a couple of repair jobs that turned nothing like expected, I bought Ralph Maltby's books and never looked back.

I knew a guy that kept an open can of gasoline next to his work bench. He would cut a grip off then dunk the taped end into the gas...hit it with his propane torch and burn the old tape off. Real bright. I'm sure he is dead by now...of his own demise.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Well , I have been reintroduced to the following using persimmon ( honmas extra90) and razor blades (honma cl708 professional). Bear in mind I’m a 75 yo hacker with 14 hcp.

1. A full swing with correct wrist movement is required on every shot if you want straight ,nice ball flight and good distance. (Ie. Hit the sh..t out of it) Anything less is courting a hook/ slice ,cross your fingers and hope. AND keep your legs stillish on a controlled back swing especially off first tee without warmup.

2. Correct ball placement is a must for each club and make sure the butt is pointing toward belly button or a bit lower for every club. For me anyway.

3. Neutral grip please.

4 Don’t be put off by the tiny heads on the three and four irons they are just ground down five and six in modern clubs. just ‘swing it smooth’ and think little ball before big.

5. Don’t be embarrassed in pulling out a seven iron when everyone else is using a nine.

6. The old irons generate a hell of a lot more backspin .

7. The leading edge on my irons are sharp and the bounce! What bounce? hence I have extreme difficulty chipping with em. ie. dig ,dig , flip,flip.

bugger .

You really don’t notice how bad your game is with modern clubs.

Gotta love it.

> @Tommix said:

> Well , I have been reintroduced to the following using persimmon ( honmas extra90) and razor blades (honma cl708 professional). Bear in mind I’m a 75 yo hacker with 14 hcp.

> 1. A full swing with correct wrist movement is required on every shot if you want straight ,nice ball flight and good distance. (Ie. Hit the sh..t out of it) Anything less is courting a hook/ slice ,cross your fingers and hope. AND keep your legs stillish on a controlled back swing especially off first tee without warmup.

> 2. Correct ball placement is a must for each club and make sure the butt is pointing toward belly button or a bit lower for every club. For me anyway.

> 3. Neutral grip please.

>

> 4 Don’t be put off by the tiny heads on the three and four irons they are just ground down five and six in modern clubs. just ‘swing it smooth’ and think little ball before big.

> 5. Don’t be embarrassed in pulling out a seven iron when everyone else is using a nine.

> 6. The old irons generate a **** of a lot more backspin .

> 7. The leading edge on my irons are sharp and the bounce! What bounce? hence I have extreme difficulty chipping with em. ie. dig ,dig , flip,flip.

> bugger .

> You really don’t notice how bad your game is with modern clubs.

> Gotta love it.

You summed it up in a nutshell that is what Classic Golf is--- LOL love the part about pulling out the 7 iron when everyone else is using a 7 iron too that is marked "9" smirk!!! I love the part when someone asks what I hit there ? If I am playing the Precisions I say a 65 year old 7 iron. BTW I must be opposite from you ( shrug) I have difficulty chipping with anything that has bounce. Sharp leading edge and no bounce that is why they are called "butter knives"

Tend to agree with STU here on the turf interaction issue. The sharp leading edges and ~~negative~~ lack of bounce don't seem to bother me so much. It's the ground down leading edges and heaps of trailing bounce that really force you to hit down with modern clubs. Being a picker of the ball, hitting down isn't natural for me and I end up with the sensation of chopping down on the ball. Not the best situation with touch shots. I've tried some of the new "V" sole wedges out in a LGS and they just suck for my game!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

So when I played at Royal St. Georges I saw something I never thought I’d see: spike marks! From metal spiked shoes! The outline of a shoe sole with little pinholes around the border. I thought they didn’t exist anymore and I’d never seen them in my life. Haha just old timey stuff at a really old golf club...

And yeah, negative bounce is for me, because bounce = blading.

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> So when I played at Royal St. Georges I saw something I never thought I’d see: spike marks! From metal spiked shoes! The outline of a shoe sole with little pinholes around the border. I thought they didn’t exist anymore and I’d never seen them in my life. Haha just old timey stuff at a really old golf club...

> And yeah, negative bounce is for me, because bounce = blading.

If you pick your feet up while wearing them on the green they actually do the greens some good. A mini aerification with every step.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After my surgery earlier this year, I lost 15 lbs. of weight and most of all, Looked like aged 10 years over night.

Went ahopping the other day, was returning the shopping cart to the collection line when, an older gentleman walking this way seemingly searching for his car in this huge parking lot.

He looked at me then bashfully said, "you ever lost your car in the parking lot ? " I didn't want him to feel bad, so I replied " Oj, I'd done it a million times !" I wonder why he asked me, and he was at least a decade older than I am.

Looking olf is probably why.

Just saying hello to all. Waiting for site updates to get squared away so I can resume my normal routine with regards to the site. Lots going on-about ready to put the house up for sale-been super busy on that end, also, taking advantage of “free” college cost at state institutions for senior citizens and the course work is keeping me busy as well. About half way complete with first draft of book and back in poetry writing mode as well.

On the golfing end of things, have convinced an old Air Force pilot to put his old Macgregor blades back in the bag and we are playing at least one eighteen a week “old school.” He has taken to it like a kid in candy store. We have been searching for some good lumber for him-he’s a lefty, so no local luck, but my convince him to go the eBay route.

Hope all are well and prosperous.

Traffic on Island is getting rough already and with the US women’s open coming-the same week as Our major art festival and holiday kickoff weekend at the beach-it’s going to be gridlock. I may not even attempt to attend.

Will be checking in from time to time.

Randy

Good luck with the house sale, Randy. We have just sold ours and purchased another all in the matter or three weeks. We will be moving end of July, so now begins the task of debulking and packing leading into the move. Been working at it for a while now, but a deadline always helps to put in the big push.

Course work for me starts on Tuesday. Have yet to play this year as the weather has been so poor with almost constant rains and the few fair days invariably filled with house related tasks. Take care.

Scott

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @oldschoolrocker said:

> Just saying hello to all. Waiting for site updates to get squared away so I can resume my normal routine with regards to the site. Lots going on-about ready to put the house up for sale-been super busy on that end, also, taking advantage of “free” college cost at state institutions for senior citizens and the course work is keeping me busy as well. About half way complete with first draft of book and back in poetry writing mode as well.

> On the golfing end of things, have convinced an old Air Force pilot to put his old Macgregor blades back in the bag and we are playing at least one eighteen a week “old school.” He has taken to it like a kid in candy store. We have been searching for some good lumber for him-he’s a lefty, so no local luck, but my convince him to go the eBay route.

> Hope all are well and prosperous.

> Traffic on Island is getting rough already and with the US women’s open coming-the same week as Our major art festival and holiday kickoff weekend at the beach-it’s going to be gridlock. I may not even attempt to attend.

> Will be checking in from time to time.

> Randy

We are thinking about selling our home. My wife retired 2 weeks ago and I am planning on retiring in September. We want off this beach. Want to move somewhere quiet away from the tourists and idiots. It has gotten worse and worse every year. The park where we live we have been in here 20 years and the newer people moving in seem to be a big bunch of jackwagons. Yep we want out

> @oldschoolrocker said:

> Just saying hello to all. Waiting for site updates to get squared away so I can resume my normal routine with regards to the site. Lots going on-about ready to put the house up for sale-been super busy on that end, also, taking advantage of “free” college cost at state institutions for senior citizens and the course work is keeping me busy as well. About half way complete with first draft of book and back in poetry writing mode as well.

> On the golfing end of things, have convinced an old Air Force pilot to put his old Macgregor blades back in the bag and we are playing at least one eighteen a week “old school.” He has taken to it like a kid in candy store. We have been searching for some good lumber for him-he’s a lefty, so no local luck, but my convince him to go the eBay route.

> Traffic on Island is getting rough already and with the US women’s open coming-the same week as Our major art festival and holiday kickoff weekend at the beach-it’s going to be gridlock. I may not even attempt to attend.

> Randy

Your friend wouldn't like a Honma Extra 90, would he? It's in decent shape, steel shaft (S-1, which is pretty stout). I can get some pictures up in a day or two. It came with a bunch of right-handed Honda drivers and fairways which I was after. It looks to have nice grain and is in good enough condition to hit, but the grip will likely need changing. I was going to throw it away because I don't know many lefties around me, and certainly none that are interested in playing persimmon. I'll happily cover postage if it means putting an old persimmon back into play.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"GOLF IN THE KINGDOM"

No, I don't mean the book (or the movie based on the book). I'm talking about golf in the next life -- the other side -- heaven -- or whatever you want to call it.

Will they have golf there? If so, what do you think it will be like? I'm sure people in this crowd have thought about it, seeing as how most of us are on the wrong side of 50.

First off, I imagine the courses will be absolutely spectacular, and probably free. But what about the game itself? If we have perfect bodies will we make perfect swings every time? With perfect minds will we pull the right club every time and read perfectly the break of each putt? Does this mean we will shoot 54 every time out and the game will be too easy and boring?

I worry about these things. I need some reassurance.

And how do I get my Hogan Precision irons and Mac woods to the other side with me? I've always heard you can't take them with you. Do they have eBay over there?

On the flip side of the equipment issue, will I finally find a perfect putter?

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Well every round is at the time of day you like to play, and there are others on the course who are always remarkably out of your way whenever you're ready to hit. Alas your game is the one you brought up there, but you won't fatigue or feel pain (A thinned precision 2 iron will still sting though). Your clubs will be the ones you knew from your time on earth, only chromed and painted to mint but with the same feel as what you had down here.

The Heavenly WRX rules forum is polite and civil. Blade/GI arguments are not to be had, as there are no cast clubs in heaven (I kid, I kid). The lion shall dine with the lamb (ie Stu and the USGA are friends) and underlistings for leather grips grow on trees. (As does every ferrule ever made, True Temper rocket shafts, and whipping thread). Shaft pins slip out with ease and Wilson irons can be reshafted in seconds.

As for the courses, the main golf resort complex is Pebble, Cypress Point, Augusta, St. Andrews, (insert your home course, but maintained to the standards of the other 4), and that one course that closed that you wished you could get one more round at. Your weekly foursome is with Mr.'s Jones, Snead, and Hogan, although on occasion you call in Nelson, Palmer, or Hagen to sub. There are no divots on the courses, and your putts always roll true.

Post-round is the best though, you go to your childhood home where your folks/grandparents are in the primes of their lives and have been grilling burgers for you and you just sit in the yard in a light breeze as the sun (at this point of your day; you decide what time it is in heaven) is perpetually fixed at 7:30 PM, just starting to give off that golden light and cooling off, but still light enough you could sneak off for 'just 9 more'.

You paint well with words @"James the Hogan Fan" !

I've never given much thought as to what heaven would be like for golfers or anyone else for that matter. I guess I restricted my thoughts to the idea that I would see my father again, who was taken from me early in life, to have a covnersation about how I dealt with the cards that were given to me. I'd also like to see two of my dogs again. There has to be dogs in heaven, right? The first dog I had as a child -- Penny -- and the last dog that we had -- Tuesday -- who both live to the ripe old age of 17 before infirmity spelt the end.

So why no thoughts of heaven? Well that would require one to consider the ramifications of being sentenced to hell and that would not be a rosy prospect after having seen with my own eyes, Dante's rendition of it. These are all weighty questions that I find are better left uncontemplated to any great length beyond the sunny days that one would expect from far off green shores.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @HoldenCornfield said:

> "GOLF IN THE KINGDOM"

>

> No, I don't mean the book (or the movie based on the book). I'm talking about golf in the next life -- the other side -- heaven -- or whatever you want to call it.

>

> Will they have golf there? If so, what do you think it will be like? I'm sure people in this crowd have thought about it, seeing as how most of us are on the wrong side of 50.

>

> First off, I imagine the courses will be absolutely spectacular, and probably free. But what about the game itself? If we have perfect bodies will we make perfect swings every time? With perfect minds will we pull the right club every time and read perfectly the break of each putt? Does this mean we will shoot 54 every time out and the game will be too easy and boring?

>

> I worry about these things. I need some reassurance.

>

> And how do I get my Hogan Precision irons and Mac woods to the other side with me? I've always heard you can't take them with you. Do they have eBay over there?

>

> On the flip side of the equipment issue, will I finally find a perfect putter?

Personally I think its going to be hell to get a tee time :)

> @scomac2002 said:

> You paint well with words @"James the Hogan Fan" !

>

> I've never given much thought as to what heaven would be like for golfers or anyone else for that matter. I guess I restricted my thoughts to the idea that I would see my father again, who was taken from me early in life, to have a covnersation about how I dealt with the cards that were given to me. I'd also like to see two of my dogs again. There has to be dogs in heaven, right? The first dog I had as a child -- Penny -- and the last dog that we had -- Tuesday -- who both live to the ripe old age of 17 before infirmity spelt the end.

>

> So why no thoughts of heaven? Well that would require one to consider the ramifications of being sentenced to **** and that would not be a rosy prospect after having seen with my own eyes, Dante's rendition of it. These are all weighty questions that I find are better left uncontemplated to any great length beyond the sunny days that one would expect from far off green shores.

What a coincidence I had a dog named Penny who was a Red Chow Chow and lived to be 17 also but she was not my first dog

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> Well every round is at the time of day you like to play, and there are others on the course who are always remarkably out of your way whenever you're ready to hit. Alas your game is the one you brought up there, but you won't fatigue or feel pain (A thinned precision 2 iron will still sting though). Your clubs will be the ones you knew from your time on earth, only chromed and painted to mint but with the same feel as what you had down here.

>

> The Heavenly WRX rules forum is polite and civil. Blade/GI arguments are not to be had, as there are no cast clubs in heaven (I kid, I kid). The lion shall dine with the lamb (ie Stu and the USGA are friends) and underlistings for leather grips grow on trees. (As does every ferrule ever made, True Temper rocket shafts, and whipping thread). Shaft pins slip out with ease and Wilson irons can be reshafted in seconds.

>

> As for the courses, the main golf resort complex is Pebble, Cypress Point, Augusta, St. Andrews, (insert your home course, but maintained to the standards of the other 4), and that one course that closed that you wished you could get one more round at. Your weekly foursome is with Mr.'s Jones, Snead, and Hogan, although on occasion you call in Nelson, Palmer, or Hagen to sub. There are no divots on the courses, and your putts always roll true.

>

> Post-round is the best though, you go to your childhood home where your folks/grandparents are in the primes of their lives and have been grilling burgers for you and you just sit in the yard in a light breeze as the sun (at this point of your day; you decide what time it is in heaven) is perpetually fixed at 7:30 PM, just starting to give off that golden light and cooling off, but still light enough you could sneak off for 'just 9 more'.

Brilliant!

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

So:

My club, of which I am a relatively new member, is about to kick off their summer matchplay championship. You're drawn against whomever and have a week to play them. From what I understand the winner moves on and the loser goes home, single elimination. The kicker is there are no handicaps, everyone is playing off levels. It's fine, but it means I (as a 10.3) stand little chance against the scratch guys who have already signed up. That said, there are a couple of 17's and a 22 in the field as well.

I suppose I'm getting around to asking about how you all feel about competing in events like this. Assuming I go ahead, what should my mindset be? Set a goal? Enjoy the walk? I would like to play because I like golf and opportunities for matchplay are slim to none where I am, but on the other hand, when I'm shaking hands down 10-and-8 I don't know if I'll feel as pleased about it...

• 4 weeks later...

> @oldschoolrocker said:

> Randy

When I can't get out I rig up a pseudo net made from a large square of shade netting and tie it to poles in the yard. After a hour I'm feeling good again.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls