2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Epic Star Fairway & Hybrid?

Someone mentioned Epic Star Driver on another thread. We've had a hard time finding an OEM fairway wood & hybrid that fits well. Has anyone used or heard about juniors using the epic star Fairway or hybrids? Are they significantly lighter than other OEM's the same way the Drivers are supposed to be? I know they are expensive, but would not be buying new so hold comments on price, looking for feedback on function & performance (especially for younger juniors). Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a girl out here that plays with them and they say good things about them as they are basically junior clubs that are women length. The weight is supposed to be wayyy light. I know the driver head and 190 or maybe less. I would think the fairway and hybrid would be pretty light as well especially with the very light weight shafts they have in them. Our friends just got the driver and she got some pretty good pop out of it since chaining from ts3.

So when I looked into them, Epic Star seems to be a clubbed down variant of the regular Epics.

Also, most of the weight savings (and the premium price) seem to be coming from the shaft, which you will be cutting down anyways for a junior.

[https://Not allowed because of spam.com/2018-callaway-epic-star/](https://Not allowed because of spam.com/2018-callaway-epic-star/ "https://Not allowed because of spam.com/2018-callaway-epic-star/")

A better alternative might be to just get the Epic and replace the weight with a lighter one(which Callaway is pretty much doing with the Epic star ).

[https://golfworks.com/the-golfworks-gbb-epic-driver-weights/p/bb9102/](https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-gbb-epic-driver-weights/p/bb9102/ "https://golfworks.com/the-golfworks-gbb-epic-driver-weights/p/bb9102/")

> @mrshinsa said:

> So when I looked into them, Epic Star seems to be a clubbed down variant of the regular Epics.

> Also, most of the weight savings (and the premium price) seem to be coming from the shaft, which you will be cutting down anyways for a junior.

> [https://****.com/2018-callaway-epic-star/](https://****.com/2018-callaway-epic-star/ "https://****.com/2018-callaway-epic-star/")

>

> A better alternative might be to just get the Epic and replace the weight with a lighter one(which Callaway is pretty much doing with the Epic star ).

> [https://golfworks.com/the-golfworks-gbb-epic-driver-weights/p/bb9102/](https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-gbb-epic-driver-weights/p/bb9102/ "https://golfworks.com/the-golfworks-gbb-epic-driver-weights/p/bb9102/")

>

>

the overall head weight is under 200 you could change the back weight and make it even lighter but by having a non adjustable head it makes it lighter there too. The shaft is the shaft here meaning you could have the same shaft in an adapter setup and it would be heavier. Not sure what eh regular EPIC is in terms of headlight but 190 going to be hard to beat which chaining the sliding weights per the golf works you could even make that lighter by about 6 grams.

what is the first link as it doesn't work.

Not sure why golfwrx censors myg0lfspy link... but the link is from their review

"Not allowed because of spam.com/2018-callaway-epic-star"

Yes, I agree non-adjustable head is lighter by few grams, but now you're spending more money to get less.

An adjustable driver is highly beneficial for juniors as they grow.

Not sure about Callaway, but I measured Cobra junior drivers and they are all around 190g.

Cobra Biocell 191.0g

Cobra F6 club head + orange weight = 191.4g

Cobra F7 club head + all weights = 192.8g

I was looking for drivers for my son last month. I called Callaway and they gave me the spec on the Epic Star. It sure is light for adults, but not “light enough” for juniors. If I remember correctly, it wasn’t even as light as the XR. Long story short, I ended up getting the Cobra Jr F8 with Flynn shaft and Golf Pride Junior Grip. I also removed the two weights on the bottom of the Cobra and the whole thing now weighs 280g.

@Kcct82 280 total weight vs a ladies uncut version that weighs only 284? That when cut and changing the weights in the back gets you in the 270s. I would say thats light enough for most juniors if you ask me. Yes its not adjustable but by going that route you add weight. My daughter had a chance to hit this yesterday and her swing speed on average (small sample size) went up 3 mph plus she had a few big numbers in there as well. Just something to look at if weight is your focus on a junior driver.

> @darter79 said:

> @Kcct82 280 total weight vs a ladies uncut version that weighs only 284? That when cut and changing the weights in the back gets you in the 270s. I would say thats light enough for most juniors if you ask me. Yes its not adjustable but by going that route you add weight. My daughter had a chance to hit this yesterday and her swing speed on average (small sample size) went up 3 mph plus she had a few big numbers in there as well. Just something to look at if weight is your focus on a junior driver.

Yes, you’re correct, 280 total is pretty light for most juniors, but the OP did mention “young junior” so I was just thinking as light as possible. What I really meant to say was the epic star isn’t any lighter then the other cheaper offerings out there. On the side note, my son dropped a few mph with the cobra so we’re still using the US Kids for now.

I weighed my son's F6 driver last night, and it came in just above 270grams.

This is with the front clear weight(3grams) removed, Fujikura Vista Pro shaft cut to 41" and a Winn junior grip.

Regardless, I believe the head weight is more important than the overall weight.

74uxs4furslz.jpg

On a similar note, I'm searching for his next set of irons which will be adult clubs. I've looked into a lot of clubs, which the manufacturers claim them to be extremely light. Looking past all the marketing BS, I found them to be no less light than any other clubs on the market, and definitely nowhere closer to US Kids clubs. This includes Callaway Womens Epic, Epic Star, XXIO, Cobra F-max and so on...

> @mrshinsa said:

> I weighed my son's F6 driver last night, and it came in just above 270grams.

> This is with the front clear weight(3grams) removed, Fujikura Vista Pro shaft cut to 41" and a Winn junior grip.

> However, I believe the head weight is more important than the overall weight.

>

> 74uxs4furslz.jpg

>

>

> On a similar note, I'm searching for his next set of irons which will be adult clubs. I've looked into a lot of clubs, which the manufacturers claim them to be extremely light. Looking past all the marketing BS, I found them to be no less light than any other clubs on the market, and definitely nowhere closer to US Kids clubs. This includes Callaway Womens Epic, Epic Star, XXIO, Cobra F-max and so on...

Yeah, I knew I could get it down to sub 270g if I used the Winn grip for my son’s F8, but like you said it’s the head weight that matters most so I just used the slightly heavier golf pride grip instead.

> @mrshinsa said:

> I weighed my son's F6 driver last night, and it came in just above 270grams.

> This is with the front clear weight(3grams) removed, Fujikura Vista Pro shaft cut to 41" and a Winn junior grip.

> Regardless, I believe the head weight is more important than the overall weight.

>

> 74uxs4furslz.jpg

>

>

> On a similar note, I'm searching for his next set of irons which will be adult clubs. I've looked into a lot of clubs, which the manufacturers claim them to be extremely light. Looking past all the marketing BS, I found them to be no less light than any other clubs on the market, and definitely nowhere closer to US Kids clubs. This includes Callaway Womens Epic, Epic Star, XXIO, Cobra F-max and so on...

@mrshinsa can you explain why you feel head weight is more important than overall weight with juniors?

We did a side by side comparison on simulators. At the time he was 6 and 4 months old and his club head speed dropped 5 mph with the heavier F8 head compared to his UL48. The F8’s total weight is 30g heavier than the UL48, and the increase is all in the head. I could tell he had trouble swinging it and he said so himself. I think once they can hit well with the 51” TS3 they’ll be fine with adult heads. The difference then will only be 15g or so.

The epic star is a lighter epic perfect for most kids. The light weight will help a few MPH. I know on this forum people are equipment junkies but seriously if your worried about the weight being too much just stick with a US Kids TS3.

If you kid can swing above 50mph you will be fine with most of today’s drivers that women have I think the average women swings in the 50 mph range.

> @darter79 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > I weighed my son's F6 driver last night, and it came in just above 270grams.

> > This is with the front clear weight(3grams) removed, Fujikura Vista Pro shaft cut to 41" and a Winn junior grip.

> > Regardless, I believe the head weight is more important than the overall weight.

> >

> > 74uxs4furslz.jpg

> >

> >

> > On a similar note, I'm searching for his next set of irons which will be adult clubs. I've looked into a lot of clubs, which the manufacturers claim them to be extremely light. Looking past all the marketing BS, I found them to be no less light than any other clubs on the market, and definitely nowhere closer to US Kids clubs. This includes Callaway Womens Epic, Epic Star, XXIO, Cobra F-max and so on...

>

> @mrshinsa can you explain why you feel head weight is more important than overall weight with juniors?

As more mass is moved away from the point of pivot, it takes more force to rotate it.

**Fast forward video to 1:28**

Take for example two junior drivers of an identical length of say 40", and an identical total weight of say 270 grams.

Driver 1 has a head weight of 190 grams, and Driver 2 has a head weight of 200 grams. Driver 1 will be much easier to swing, and the clubhead speed will be much higher since there is less mass further away from the center of rotation, even if they have the same total weight.

I took another look at the Epic Star driver. It has an advertised total weight of 286 grams, advertised shaft weight of 39grams, and grip weight of 41 grams. Doing simple subtraction yields a head weight of 286 – 39 – 41 = 206 grams. Most adult heads weigh between 200 ~ 210 grams, so we didn’t really gain (or in this case lose) much here.

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @darter79 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > I weighed my son's F6 driver last night, and it came in just above 270grams.

> > > This is with the front clear weight(3grams) removed, Fujikura Vista Pro shaft cut to 41" and a Winn junior grip.

> > > Regardless, I believe the head weight is more important than the overall weight.

> > >

> > > 74uxs4furslz.jpg

> > >

> > >

> > > On a similar note, I'm searching for his next set of irons which will be adult clubs. I've looked into a lot of clubs, which the manufacturers claim them to be extremely light. Looking past all the marketing BS, I found them to be no less light than any other clubs on the market, and definitely nowhere closer to US Kids clubs. This includes Callaway Womens Epic, Epic Star, XXIO, Cobra F-max and so on...

> >

> > @mrshinsa can you explain why you feel head weight is more important than overall weight with juniors?

>

>

> As more mass is moved away from the point of pivot, it takes more force to rotate it.

>

> **Fast forward video to 1:28**

>

>

> Take for example two junior drivers of an identical length of say 40", and an identical total weight of say 270 grams.

> Driver 1 has a head weight of 190 grams, and Driver 2 has a head weight of 200 grams. Driver 1 will be much easier to swing, and the clubhead speed will be much higher since there is less mass further away from the center of rotation, even if they have the same total weight.

>

> I took another look at the Epic Star driver. It has an advertised total weight of 286 grams, advertised shaft weight of 39grams, and grip weight of 41 grams. Doing simple subtraction yields a head weight of 286 – 39 – 41 = 206 grams. Most adult heads weigh between 200 ~ 210 grams, so we didn’t really gain (or in this case lose) much here.

>

>

Some math doest add up bc the head weight I've read is 190 ( http://www.golfwrx.com/469864/callaway-lightens-up-with-ultra-premium-gbb-epic-star-line/) Thats interesting math that you come up with something doesn't "add" up. I agree with lighter club head the better why I though this was ideal based on that article I read.

> @tiger1873 said:

> The epic star is a lighter epic perfect for most kids. The light weight will help a few MPH. I know on this forum people are equipment junkies but seriously if your worried about the weight being too much just stick with a US Kids TS3.

>

> If you kid can swing above 50mph you will be fine with most of today’s drivers that women have I think the average women swings in the 50 mph range.

While I do agree with what you said, I just wanna point out to other parents with really young kids that your above statement only holds true for kids playing the TS clubs COMFORTABLY. My 6 year old’s weight is at the 50th percentile and his swing is between 50-55mph. He is able to swing at that speed because of the 20% lighter head weight of the UL series. As soon as you throw on a head that’s 30g heavier then his speed suffers. My guess is on average a kid needs to be around 55lbs to consider using adult heads.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > The epic star is a lighter epic perfect for most kids. The light weight will help a few MPH. I know on this forum people are equipment junkies but seriously if your worried about the weight being too much just stick with a US Kids TS3.

> >

> > If you kid can swing above 50mph you will be fine with most of today’s drivers that women have I think the average women swings in the 50 mph range.

>

> While I do agree with what you said, I just wanna point out to other parents with really young kids that your above statement only holds true for kids playing the TS clubs COMFORTABLY. My 6 year old’s weight is at the 50th percentile and his swing is between 50-55mph. He is able to swing at that speed because of the 20% lighter head weight of the UL series. As soon as you throw on a head that’s 30g heavier then his speed suffers. My guess is on average a kid needs to be around 55lbs to consider using adult heads.

If we are talking 6 year kids there is not way I would ever think of getting an adult head for them. I would almost certainly stick with an Ultra light set.

Most tournaments at that age are automatic wins.

Once a kid hits 8 or 9 an OEM head starts to be easier to handle even the I have reservations.