2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Course info in HH area

dj6627

Haven't been to Ruby Lee's yet but I am intrigued by the cigar bar (Timbuck 2) Never ordered the brisket at Smokehouse as I love the pulled pork and ribs. Redfish seems to have some issues. I haven't been there in a couple of years but the lobster mac and cheese is pretty spectacular. Nice wine list.

We like Ela's and Charbar is good. My wife can't stand the Crazy Crab so we haven't been there in a dozen years. I have heard nothing but good things about Fat Baby's pizza. Also like Guseppe's white pizza w/roasted red peppers and grilled chicken.

I was bummed the new Whiskey bar at Charbar isn't open yet.

A visit to the whiskey bar was part of the evening plan. Oh well, burger was still epic.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Played Oyster Reef for the first time last week. Was able to play for $69 with Golf Now hot deal. Really enjoyed the course. Greens were a bit slow but rolled true, bermuda rough was thick and tough to get out of, and had a tough finish with two par fours playing 420+ yards.

As far as food goes, our island favorite is Lowcountry Backyard. It’s next to the Smokehouse and you wouldn’t know it if you aren’t looking for it. As for burgers, try Harold’s Diner for lunch. It’s a hole in the wall but best burger I’ve had on the island!

Love BBQ, but might not fit the Smokehouse in. Red Fish was over rated and over priced. Charbar Company burger joint was awesome! Really good Peel N' Eats at Salty Dog, plus bartender was one of the funniest dude's ever. Crazy Crab...ok. Fried chicken at Ruby Lee's...5 star. Ella's tomorrow. Leaves Friday, was planning to order a New York pizza in while we pack for early sat am departure. Now, if you tell me the brisket at Smokehouse is EPIC! Might have to change up.

The Whiskey bar is supposed to open in Nov. Not a secret. ;)

I was down there last week also.

Atlantic Dunes Sunday (5 hour round - ugh). Got paired with a couple gents (Steve and Mark) and had a great time. Was in great condition, greens are finally becoming receptive to shots staying on the green vs bouncing and rolling off the back (yes, takes a couple years to soften, I know). I also hit off grass. Not sure why someone earlier was off mats.

HHN Monday. Paired with a gent from Austria (Gunter) who is a typical vacationer to the area and also loves HHN. No issues at all with the course, greens rolling faster this year than years past, which is a great thing for me. :)

The Legends at Parris Island Wednesday. What can I say? I love this course and it's worth the trip over to Beaufort to play it. I usually have a nice relaxing round out there and this year was no exception. Great pace, quiet, and I'd pit the scenery against almost any other course that's not private on/near HHI. No houses, no noise, just golf.

And that leaves Robbers Row (1st time played) on Friday (With a different Steve, IIRC). Screw this place. Never going back due to a bad experience and just may stay away from all those courses in the same family. Booked through golfnow for 11:32. Show up about 45 min early to get loose, range, putt. No "good morning" in the club house, "how can I help you?" I had to stand there waiting for the staff to finish a conversation, and a "What's your tee time?" But that's not the issue, as I agree, it's minor.

I get out to my clubs, starter, "Good morning, what's your tee time?" "Oh, you're .. hmmm... You're paired up with 2 members, might be a problem." "That's ok, I can play with anyone." "Oh, it's not you, one of those members is good with others, the other one? Not so much... let me see what I can do to get you in a different group." Fine, whatever, I just want to play golf. "OK, let me know, I'm going to go hit balls." In my head, I'm thinking "why would it matter?"

Five mintues into hitting balls, they call my name. I go from the range, back to the starter booth. "We're going to get you out with this single that is also playing, but we can't find him. Stick around and we'll get you out a little earlier in an avaialble tee time before 11:32" "Great, sounds like a plan, I'm going to go putt". (Closer to starter).

Three putts, they call me again. "Ok, you're going to be paired up with this gentleman. You can head out now, the tee should be open." Meanwhile, the guy that showed up has a tee time that was later and was also hoping to warm up. We start chatting, get names (Steve) and get reminded "please head over now, the tee is open." We look at each other, shrug, and head out. Make introductions on the way, etc... (That's ALSO not the reason I'd never play there again).

Get to the tee. There are 2 groups on it. Why the rush? We had at least 10 mintues to at least putt some more. Ugh. Hurry up and wait. (Clue). Evidently, there are 3-4 foursomes in front of us as a group.

Starter at tee starts bickering back and forth with starter in booth that sent us over, over the radio, while others are teeing off. Booth: "I've been trying to get you for 10 mintues! Where have you been?" "Right here, what's up?" "10 minutes, what's going on?" "I've been right here, radio on..." Etc... I was both laughing at the conversation and saddened by lack of respect to those on the tee. (Also not why I wouldn't go back, nope... it's the next part.)

Last group hit off, heads out. Tee starter says "Gents, here's the rules, yadda yadda yadda, 90*, etc... and please wait for the group in front to pull the pin before you hit. Thanks. I have to go check on a group out there and will be back." Guess what time it is? 11:32. He leaves. Steve and I are waiting for the group to get to the green with drivers in our hands on the tee, just talking and the "members" come riding up, older gent and his female partner, the two I was supposed to play with along with two others.

Let me preface this next part with, I have ZERO issue with women on the course. The couple leagues I'm in have women and I have had no issues with them to ever think about not playing with women when I get paired up with them. I do have a problem with jerks, whether they be male or female, and will be curteous regardless, but will stand my ground. This individual, this member, is the reason I will not be going back, she got under my skin without hesitation.

Cart stops and immediately the woman asks, "What tee time do you two have?" "I was supposed to play 11:32, but the starter moved me up. I was supposed to play with two others but they adjusted the sheet and moved us up to this blank spot before 11:32." Steve says, "I was 11:40, and the starters both told us to head up after this group." Woman says, "Well, we're members, and we have the 11:32, so you're behind us." "Ma'am, sorry, we're just doing what we're told by the staff here. This was an available time before 11:32, and being a two, we'll be quick."

Without a damn pause, the woman says, in the best 'can I speak to the manager' tone, "Can you hit it that far?" I've been around long enough to know what that question implies, and I think you, the reader, does too. We look at the four in front of us on the course, and they're not on the green yet. I say, "I'm sorry, I was asked by the starter to not hit until they pull the flag." "But can you hit it that far?" Steve even mentions "Just doing what we were told." Me, "Ma'am, we were asked by the starter not to..." "That's NOT what I asked you! I was just curious if you can hit it that far?!?!'"

I look at Steve, but loudly, "Wanna go get our money back? This is the most rediculous thing I've seen on a course. I know I'll be leaving a review of the place on GolfNow, their website, emailing mangement, and anyplace else I can." (Case in point, this post) Steve says, "Sure, we can go someplace that's more appreciative..." We take a couple more practice swings, look at the green, they just pulled the pin, at each other, "Nahh, let's play, if it becomes a problem, we can drive off and leave them." Sounds like a plan. Surprisingly, the woman and the group stopped jabbering. We tee off and by the 3rd hole, they're nowhere to be seen behind us, and it was slowish.

Fun course, waited on every shot, to be expected, but had a good time. They hadn't been seen behind us until the 8th hole (they were about hole+ behind us gap) when there was a log jam. Three groups on the tee at 8. Ugh. They caught up, but stayed their distance. But, after that, they were waiting as much as us. Then, on the 17th and 18th holes, both doglegs, we were barely at the turn (about 150-200 yds) and they started hitting into us. Granted they weren't long hitters, but still... hitting into the group in front is still hitting into the group in front. One ball went by us as we were looking for my tee shot on 17. They can't claim ignorance, because they didn't see anyone hit their 2nd shot yet.

Those members? THAT is why I won't be going back to that group of courses (Barony, Robbers Row, Oyster Reef) and heck, won't even consider living there (as my wife and I are looking around HHI for retirement.) I know, sounds trite, but it's the little things sometimes, you know? If that's the way members treat guests, they can just go **** themselves.

I liked the layout, greens, as someone said earlier on Barony, were slow. They'd get up near the hole and just... stop, like velcro. It took me about 8-9 holes to actually get a putt by the cup. (I'm a very big 'feel' putter and I was having a hard time looking beyond a hole for a target when the previous three rounds were on much faster, regular speed or faster, greens).

Food:

Stacks for the Creme Brulee french toast (Bananas Foster french toast, even better).

Can't go wrong with CharBar for a burger and especially the loaded fries.

Pizza, while we usually get Fat Babys, we gave Local Pie a shot... and wow. These two should fight it out for best pizza on the island. :)

We didn't do much on dinner out this year, but Il Carpaccio was great along with Frasiers Tavern in the Plantation Golf Club in Sea Pines (Atlantic Dunes/Heron Point clubhouse) was fantastic.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Oyster Reef is a nice track and I have never had any issues, but the others are not good and the management company is worse. Sorry you had to endure that. I have run into similar situations at Palmetto Hall, but not to this degree.

While it costs more, I prefer to play Sea Pines courses. They run them well. Sure, you get a wait from time to time (I think that goes with resort courses) but they keep em moving. I don't think I would tell anybody if I were a member of the Port Royal courses ;-)

I will say the Hilton Head Plantation courses are in better shape and the members seem pretty laid back. Of course I think they are all public now. Not a fan of Dolphin Head but CC of HH and Oyster Reef are nice. Have not played Bear Creek.

One of the gents I played with on Sunday, who was a transplant from midwest himself, Indy I think, when we were talking about fall foliage here in New England, raking, etc... said "You know, I bet the landscapers have been blowing around the same needles for the past 10 years around my house, never seen a rake." Which got me thinking... does HHI or surrounding Bluffton, etc... area have an official song?

*LeafBlower*

You're welcome.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I cant Argue with you on this one, she had no right to ask that question. She politely could have asked why are you waiting? but doesnt seem that was the issue there, people like that ruin a course.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 3 months later...

Would it be a day well spent to boat over and play Haig Point for $150? This would be in late October.

If you have the time to burn, I would. It combines three of my favorite things. Playing a new track, spending some time on a boat and drinking a cocktail while riding on a boat!! I have never played Haig Point, but I have heard good things.

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be a day well spent to boat over and play Haig Point for $150? This would be in late October.

If you have the time to burn, I would. It combines three of my favorite things. Playing a new track, spending some time on a boat and drinking a cocktail while riding on a boat!! I have never played Haig Point, but I have heard good things.

Something to keep in mind, on the Ferry (if you're taking the ferry) you can only drink outside on the small deck. Not in the cabin. And no glass. Plan accordingly. ;)

--kC

• 2 weeks later...

Palmetto dunes is the second best resort behind Sea Pines. Also much more affordable. The Jones course there is a true gem.

Reviving this old thread...

How are the conditions at RTJ course at Palmetto right now? Plan to play there, but then saw this barrage of negative stuff on Golf Advisor reviews:

https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/15981-robert-trent-jones-golf-course-at-palmetto-dunes-oceanfront-resort#00000169-4e9c-dba1-ad6b-eedce8b90002

I suspect this may just be one single odd duck of a person that is getting some sort of revenge for a bad experience of some sort, by obtaining several different accounts, and posting lies and deceptive information...

Any thoughts on if the comments of poor conditions and crabgrass all over the fairways is true? Hate to spend $130/round here if it is.. but by all other accounts, the RTJ at Palmetto is the best of the 3 courses, and is usually a pretty recommended place to play in my research? Heading down in a few weeks to play here.. so curious if there's any truth to the comments on golf advisor.

Ping G400 SF Tec 9* - Mitsubishi C6 Blue Shaft - Stiff @ 45.25"
Ping G 3w SFT @ 16* - Ping Alta CB - Stiff 
Ping G400 19* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 22* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 26* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Mizuno  919 Hot Metal Pro 6i-GW, Recoil 95 F3 
Mizuno S18 Wedges in 55* and 60*, Recoil F3
Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

• 1 month later...

Wanted to update this with current conditions. I have access to the Heritage Group courses (Oyster Reef, Robbers Row, Barony) for just the cart fees where we stay so I played all three of those along with Hilton Head National and RTJ at Palmetto Dunes. All courses are in pretty good shape overall with RTJ and HHN pretty similar with greens that are running at a fair pace and in nice shape. Oyster Reef is in nice condition, but the greens were quite slow - I think they were running a bit slower than Robbers and Barony to be honest.

I wouldn't play any of the Heritages Group courses for the rack rates. HHN is the best value of those that I played last week. Great shape and a nice layout with the exception of 1 or 2 holes on the back.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

friend and I are looking at third weekend in September for HH. so far he has come up with RTJ at Palmetto, Harbor Town, HHN, Oyster Reef, Golden Bear, Atlantic Dunes and Old South.

we will be able to play three of them. flying in late Friday and leaving Sunday afternoon.

wonder if there are obvious ones to exclude.

thanks in advance.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

We just finished our trip yesterday. From the list above, I would toss out Golden Bear and Old South. The greens at Old South were like putting on velcro compared to everything else. Our guys ranked them in this order:

1. Atlantic Dunes

2. HHN

3. RTJ at Palmetto Hall

4. Heron Point

5. Old South

I arrived early and played the Cupp course at Palmetto Hall. I would have ranked that last. The service is abysmal. Conditions were spotty at best. It is peak season these three weeks so what do they do? They punch the greens on the Hills course an hour and a half before I was supposed to play it. Shockingly they failed to mention that. Sad what has happened to two really strong tracks

appreciate your comments HackerDave.

we're going to sit down tomorrow and go over the list. I know it's best to get the reservations dialed in as soon as possible.

we'll play two rounds Saturday and an early game Sunday - typical tourons, as my friend BigStu would say.

his top picks are HHN, Harbor Town and RTJ at Palmetto.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

• 4 weeks later...

A trip to HH in October is looking likely. A couple of questions:

Is there an Island overseed schedule for all the courses or should I just plan on calling around?

Secondly, thinking about playing Haig Point. If I do that, are there things to do on Dafuskie for my better half while I'm golfing? I view a trip with the boat ride as more of a day trip, but curious to know what other things there are to do.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> Imp wrote:

>

>

>

> I'm heading down next week and looking around where to play...

>

>

>

> Is this something new with Oyster Reef wanting $136/round? Wasn't it around $100 last year this time?

>

>

>

> --kC

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> They were closed for the summer and did a renovation but I find it hard to believe they've improved it to the point of being a $136 golf course. I was looking at rates recently since I'll be there in November and December but I may pass at that rate. I don't think I've ever spent over $100 to play there.

just an update on oyster.....

played there Sunday and it was very unremarkable. Lay out is fun, but the greens are bumpy/not rolling smooth. Look almost diseased/dying in some places. Fairways need a little work.

Also, the ranger was kind of an a** so there's that

Forever Changing at this point.......

• 4 weeks later...

Poseidon has a decent size indoor or outdoor space, would be fine with kids, and their happy hour menu is pretty good. We ended up there a few times in April when I was in HHI.

San Miguels is on the Tex-Mex side of Mexican and, like HackerDave said, you want to be outside. It's a small spot overall but we both enjoyed the food.

We've always had good times at Skull Creek and there is a whole area with outside games the kids can play. Just be prepared for a long wait if you go at peak times (dinner to sunset can be crazy there).

• Like 1

SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

> @golfgoob said:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should have said on the island. Really not looking to go too far.

Just check golfnow the day before and see if you can get a good deal. Probably your best bet if you don't really care what course it is.

• Like 1

SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour