2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metal Pro Iron In hand photos. Comparison pics w/ non pro

easyyy

Very interesting. Did not think they needed a line between the Hot Metal and the Forged but what do i know. What are the specs and stock shaft?

I agree. I can’t imagine the HM Pro being longer hitting than the Forged. I guess these irons could be for the cast iron lover that wants to play Mizuno. The HM Pro do look a bit sleeker (less offset) than the Forged. I’m such a Mizuno lover I’ll give these a demo.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I don’t mind offset in long irons but boy those short irons and that PW look good. Could easily see 4-5 HM and 6-W HM Pro winning a spot this year.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Very interesting. Did not think they needed a line between the Hot Metal and the Forged but what do i know. What are the specs and stock shaft?

I agree. I can’t imagine the HM Pro being longer hitting than the Forged. I guess these irons could be for the cast iron lover that wants to play Mizuno. The HM Pro do look a bit sleeker (less offset) than the Forged. I’m such a Mizuno lover I’ll give these a demo.

Interesting. I will be interested in this as well. I figured the Hot Metal Pro would be hotter than the forged. They can thin the faces more with cast.

I don't mind offset in long irons but boy those short irons and that PW look good. Could easily see 4-5 HM and 6-W HM Pro winning a spot this year.

They look good. Why do 4 and 5 in HM? The Pro's look forgiving enough IMO.

I do love the way they cambered the sole on the Pro's. They look to have more bounce than the HM but the Pros have the back side of the sole tapered away making the effective sole that will interact with the turf thinner than the standard HM. Like that design. Can it perform the same way Srixon's V sole does?

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone playing these or put them to test. They look great, and may well be my next irons.

Have a fitting at True Spec this coming Saturday. These will 100% be put to the test. If it wasn't for the fitting, I'd probably be buying them sight unseen and/or unhit.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Has anyone playing these or put them to test. They look great, and may well be my next irons.

Have a fitting at True Spec this coming Saturday. These will 100% be put to the test. If it wasn't for the fitting, I'd probably be buying them sight unseen and/or unhit.

Be sure to post your results and thoughts. Thanks!

Hit the HMPro against my 919F (7 irons, identical shafts), saw really no difference at all. Both carried about 181-182, 7,000+RPM, and launch angles right around 17-18°. Club speed in the low 90’s. They did feel solid though.

The HM is probably more forgiving, but I’m glad they didn’t give me any reason to regret the 919 purchase. The 4 iron might be a great add in any case.

• Like 1

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Be sure to post your results and thoughts. Thanks!

Definitely will. Looking forward to hitting the smorgasbord of clubs and shafts they have to offer as I will be doing a full bag. I'll see if I can snap some photos of the LM data with HMP's in comparison to other irons.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? Time constraints will leave me with limited time to practice or play this year. As a result, I'm going to demo more forgiving irons this year to potentially replace my Baby Blades. These irons are on my short list.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

• 1 month later...

Anyone hit the Hot Metal Pro with the X100?

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

Off-topic, but are the pictures ever going to be fixed where they can be viewed withing the posts rather than clicking each one individually into a pop-out, or is this the permanent way for the "new" site? Very annoying, and quite frankly I just bypass them usually.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

> @MBA-J said:

> Any updates? Time constraints will leave me with limited time to practice or play this year. As a result, I'm going to demo more forgiving irons this year to potentially replace my Baby Blades. These irons are on my short list.

For a bunch of reasons I have a 5-PW set ordered with Recoil 95 F4 shafts that are supposed to ship This Friday or next Monday. I can't say I am super confident they will stay in the bag, but here is the path:

1. I am 60 years old, current driver SS of 105, and this is my 2nd year back to golf.

2. I am a long time proponent of the "players irons" category and outspoken about the advantages.

3. I have been wrong a couple of times in life ;-), and want to see if this might be another so I decided to try one of the new breeds of irons coming from Srixon Z945 and Mizuno MMC this year.

4. I chose this GI because the size, offset, and look behind the ball could work for me. I hit them at a recent demo day and the feel was acceptable and they were LONG. Because of the lack of offset, it was not a problem to keep them straight. With the Recoil shaft, there was very little shock at impact which is great for my too many times broken arms and elbows.

5. Things I worry about:

A. Turf interaction/bounce.......the sole seemed pretty wide buy I did not have problems at the demo.

B. Gapping at the short end. I don't know what will be left between the PW and my 50 degree Vokey.

C. Spin......I hit these with a lot of wind. It was impossible for me to get a good gauge on spin and I have read a lot of reviews about the low spin characteristics of these distance irons. I also read that about many Srixon irons and the Z945 are perfect for me. The good news is I have traded away multiple iron sets because of too much spin and I have never had a set that did not spin enough. Maybe I will get lucky and they will do what I want with the right ball.

D. Ability to keep the trajectory reasonable when needed.

E. BIGGEST - Will I be able to hit consistent distances ????? I really don't care if a 7i is 150 or 170. I just want it to be close to the same each time I hit the ball a certain way. The problem is if I hit a 7i 170 on good strikes, 150 on horrible strikes, and 180 on that perfect flushed ball. My current blades are almost always within 5 yards long or short of 156.

Within a week I should be playing them. I am sure this will be a bit of an adjustment going from blades that I have been playing well but in the end regardless of the club it comes down to the swing so I am not afraid to give something a couple of weeks for the fun of it. What I hope to gain is actually just a better experience for my arms and elbows. While shots in the knees, etc. are nothing, the ones in your elbows are ZERO fun and helped almost ZERO. If the HMP can reduce a little impact shock, then I adjust (I think). IMO, if a guy keeps his scoring irons the same (AW through putter), a change like this should not be a huge deal after distances are understood UNLESS you just can't control trajectory nor hit consistent distances.

We will see how this goes :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Picked up my HMP's today. They arrived exactly as ordered...Recoil 95 F4 and Winn Mid size grips. Of course took them out on the range. To be honest, coming from the Srixon Z945 and MMC before the HMP, the HMP did not feel very good to me. I was also taking some pretty big divots and I was missing the Srixon V sole a bit. Of course this was my first session and I knew there would be an adjustment so I am not close to a verdict, but I don't feel like the honeymoon is underway yet.

On the plus side (I think), holy cow these things are pretty crazy long. I am not sure yet of the exact gains because of a windy session but the distance gain is substantial! When compared to the Srixon Z945, the difference is closer to a couple of clubs than a couple of yards. It was down wind, but I was playing almost exactly 2 clubs less to my normal distances. I will guess with no wind, I will still be grabbing for more than 1 club less than I am use to. Of course the difference in loft account for some of this.

I hope to sneak in a round tomorrow. Suppose to be about 70 degrees with a 5 to 10mph breeze so I will find out exactly what yardage gains are, how they spin, how they hold greens, etc..

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• 4 weeks later...

I've had mine since before they were released and they're still in the bag. I've seen distance gains, but not drastic. I came from Titleist TM-B. Probably half a club increase. Particularly in the 4,5,6 irons. But the gapping works out good for me as you go through the set. I would agree with one poster above. Unless your long iron ball striking is really poor, there's no reason to get the regular hot metal in the 4 and 5. I'm not a lon hitter (165 carry 7 iron)(185 carry 5 iron) and I have no problem elevating the pros in the 4 and 5. And they're plenty forgiving. And long. The 4 iron is a weapon.

As for the Forged vs hm pro debate I can honestly say that I went in to hit the Forged and didn't even know the hm pro was coming out. I preferred the hm pro myself. I don't mind cast clubs as long as they feel good (ala i210) to me. I like the profile better at address and the slightly reduced offset in the hm pro vs the forged. And while it wasn't a money decision it doesn't hurt that they cost $200 less. And much less bag chatter on cast.

Anyhow I really like mine and while I didn't necessarily need to make a change I'm glad I did. They do everything I need a golf club to do. If your priorities are similar to mine you should hit them. Very low offset, therefore more versatile shot making and slightly lower ballflight. Forgiving, A little more distance. Look great at address. Sound and feel great (not forged Mizuno feel, just a unique solid yet soft feel). Better feeling than many 'forged' clubs I've hit. Some 'forged' clubs aren't very soft depending on the metal they're using. Oh and you can get whatever shaft you prefer and they come standard with MCC grips which saves me $100.

I did bypass the gap wedge so I paid $875.00 for my set. Anyway as I was saying we all have our priorities and these check every box for me. The TMB was great. However I struggled to keep the ballflight down and the HM Pro is a more forgiving golf club.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1