2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Could a Scratch Golfer break 85 at Augusta?

golfer929

I think I heard on the coverage today that one of the annoucers mention that Sam Snead (I think) said that he would give the average golfer every green in regulation but let him put the ball on the green where he wanted to put it and they wouldn't break 90. But what did Sam know?

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Depends on the scratch. The women didn't seem to have any problem on the greens last week and they'd never seen them before. A real scratch with some past tournament experience who plays regularly at courses with good greens and a lot of slope wouldn't be freaked out. There are certainly scratch players who could do it.

A true scratch should be able to average 110% of the course rating his best 10 out of 20 rounds. Everybody is talking like a scratch shoots 72 every day no matter where he is. Course rating of AN being 77 10 years ago with a slope of probably 150. A USGA scratch his first time, no caddie, no practice has 0 chance of breaking 85.

Murv

> @cdnglf said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > Where is the "beating a dead horse" imoji when you need one?

> >

> >

> > The answer is still NO!

>

> Your opinion is still no. The numbers still say yes.

>

Who’s numbers? An estimated slope rating based on speculation outside the ropes without so much as seeing the greens first hand? Those who have been to Augusta National Golf Club during the Masters can attest to the undulation of the greens. Under the original criteria, a scratch playing Sunday Masters tournament tees and conditions for the first time without a caddy and only 1 hour to warm up is asking an awful lot. Especially when some landing areas on certain pins are measured in feet. I seriously doubt it.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @Murv said:

> A true scratch should be able to average 110% of the course rating his best 10 out of 20 rounds. Everybody is talking like a scratch shoots 72 every day no matter where he is. Course rating of AN being 77 10 years ago with a slope of probably 150. A USGA scratch his first time, no caddie, no practice has 0 chance of breaking 85.

>

Thank you

100% correct. Without high level college golf or amateur experience. There is no way an 85 happens. My father was a head pro at a tough highly rated course, and guests would show up all the time talking about how well they would play only to be completely humbled.

> @RobotDoctor said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > Where is the "beating a dead horse" imoji when you need one?

> > >

> > >

> > > The answer is still NO!

> >

> > Your opinion is still no. The numbers still say yes.

> >

>

> Who’s numbers? An estimated slope rating based on speculation outside the ropes without so much as seeing the greens first hand? Those who have been to Augusta National Golf Club during the Masters can attest to the undulation of the greens. Under the original criteria, a scratch playing Sunday Masters tournament tees and conditions for the first time without a caddy and only 1 hour to warm up is asking an awful lot. Especially when some landing areas on certain pins are measured in feet. I seriously doubt it.

>

The inventor of the handicap system and the inventor of strokes gained. Go back and review the posts from last year.

> @cdnglf said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > > Where is the "beating a dead horse" imoji when you need one?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > The answer is still NO!

> > >

> > > Your opinion is still no. The numbers still say yes.

> > >

> >

> > Who’s numbers? An estimated slope rating based on speculation outside the ropes without so much as seeing the greens first hand? Those who have been to Augusta National Golf Club during the Masters can attest to the undulation of the greens. Under the original criteria, a scratch playing Sunday Masters tournament tees and conditions for the first time without a caddy and only 1 hour to warm up is asking an awful lot. Especially when some landing areas on certain pins are measured in feet. I seriously doubt it.

> >

>

> The inventor of the handicap system and the inventor of strokes gained. Go back and review the posts from last year.

>

Why don’t you review my stance on that issue since it was brought up. Read lowheel ‘s comments as well. I know what I said then and I know what I said now. Of course I didn’t realize that you’re good enough to take 2nd in the 1960 Open Championship. I bow to you!

:D

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

My grandpa was a scratch golfer. He played Augusta a few times (he knew a member) and the lowest score he had was a 77. But that was from the old 6905 yard set-up. I'm not sure what tees he played from.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Kevin O'Connell an amateur in this years Masters shot 77-71 with 8 birdies and an eagle in two rounds. He missed the cut. He was our club champion two years ago. His last handicap on GHIN is +3.0. I believe a scratch who has tournaments rounds posted in the last 12 months would break 85 often at ANGC.

• Like 1

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I'm sure all scratch golfers would be willing to participate in a test. Just set up a time.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Emcdade said:

> Yes. **** the amateurs played right around par or under for the entire week.

>

> I shot an 80 at Rich Harvest Farms from 7,000 yards (course rating 76) with greens firm as **** and rolling 13 on stimp, and I stink (probably 5 handicap or worse).

These weren’t scratch amateurs. The amateurs who qualify for major championships are tournament tested players all with + handicaps, generally +3 or better. These amateurs would simply dust a mere scratch amateur on any course.

You ever been to The Masters? If so how can you rate Rich Harvest Farms to Augusta National Golf Club? While Rich Harvest Farms is a very nice course, it’s relatively flat compared to ANGC. If you haven’t been to The Masters let me know what you think when you see the course during tournament conditions. I’m not putting RHFGC down but trying to keep comparisons in perspective.

• Like 1

> @farmer said:

> We're being awfully tough on our scratch player. Give him a normal round, not Sunday at the Master's, and even from the tips, a genuine scratch should be better than 85.

That’s moving the goal posts. Read the criteria that started this preposterous thread. Some people are so willing to change the criteria.

> @golfer929 said:

>Stipulations are no caddie, no cart, no walking the course beforehand, and 1 hour warmup before the round. Sunday tournament conditions, from the back tees.

> @grm24 said:

> Just for you @dvdt

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-eddie-pepperell-shared-some-fun-details-from-his-duel-with-famed-masters-marker-jeff-knox

That's a very poor reference. First of all, Jeff Knox is a member of Augusta National and knows the greens very, very well. Even Tiger Woods has acknowledged about Knox's vast knowledge. Second, Knox I believe is a + handicap. Third, he doesn't fit the initial criteria.

> @RobotDoctor said:

> > @farmer said:

> > We're being awfully tough on our scratch player. Give him a normal round, not Sunday at the Master's, and even from the tips, a genuine scratch should be better than 85.

>

>

> That’s moving the goal posts. Read the criteria that started this preposterous thread. Some people are so willing to change the criteria.

>

>

> > @golfer929 said:

> >Stipulations are no caddie, no cart, no walking the course beforehand, and 1 hour warmup before the round. Sunday tournament conditions, from the back tees.

I understand that I moved the goalposts, but no one, not a competitor, not a member, would ever play under those stipulations. The question is made meaningless by the requirements.

• Like 1

> @smashdn said:

> Was going to mention Knox myself. Not sure of his handicap, it can be looked up by I ain't got the want to (its about lunch time here). I also didn't read the OP since we are pushing 45 pages.

>

> What is more likely, a scratch breaking 85 or a +4 shooting 63? I would think the former.

Knox is a very good player. Probably somewhere in the +1 to +3 range most months.

He recently played a senior amateur event here in Southern California, I think. Let me look up some results...

Edit: Was not in SoCal. Was the Jones Cup Senior. He finished T2 with a buddy of mine. Knox has also won the Crump Cup before. He is a top am in his age bracket. He's probably a +1 to +3 pretty much all year -- and he has tons of tournament experience.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Knox is currently a +0.7.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @farmer said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > > @farmer said:

> > > We're being awfully tough on our scratch player. Give him a normal round, not Sunday at the Master's, and even from the tips, a genuine scratch should be better than 85.

> >

> >

> > That’s moving the goal posts. Read the criteria that started this preposterous thread. Some people are so willing to change the criteria.

> >

> >

> > > @golfer929 said:

> > >Stipulations are no caddie, no cart, no walking the course beforehand, and 1 hour warmup before the round. Sunday tournament conditions, from the back tees.

>

> I understand that I moved the goalposts, but no one, not a competitor, not a member, would ever play under those stipulations. The question is made meaningless by the requirements.

That's been my point, along with several other people, since the beginning of this ridiculous thread. :)

With all of my experience watching it on TV, I'm fairly confident I could get round in 75 or less.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

No practice walk and no caddy? Not happening.

The greens would eat him alive.

The Women playing the am had a practice round and used local caddies. Major difference

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R*

Epic Speed 16.5 4w 21 7w IM10 60 5.5*

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5*

Stealth DHY 17 20 23 AV Raw Blue 70R*

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R*

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon  Star XV

Having played AN twice, once away from tourney conditions as a +1 high schooler and a second time as a +3.2 D1 college player at close to tourney conditions at under 7k both times, I can tell you that your scratch has no chance of breaking 80 at AN the first time he plays it and without a caddie.

Second time, with a caddie, he has probably a 50% chance that goes up or down depending upon the type of scratch player he is.

Remember all scratch players are not equal. A guy used to playing really tight courses with OB close by(loses strokes off the tee) that is a good putter and iron player that is scratch, has a better chance than a guy that is a horrible putter, but great tee to green, and loses shots on or around the green. Not only are the greens fast and firm for most Masters, the complexes and drop offs around the greens are just nasty in some places.

The second guys wipes the first guy off the planet at Torrey Pines and the opposite at AN.

• Like 3
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I’ve posted this before. I was a country club scratch at a course i knew like the back of my hand when i got to play. My butt stayed puckered the entire time as my head was on a swivel at the trees and the hills and the grass (and i worked every masters in high school, so I’d been there plenty.) It was an awesome day. I was so giddy that each of my 87 shots was fun and every shot was terrifying knowing what can happen. Walking across the bridge to 12 green is as religious an experience as any golfer can get west of St. Andrews and I’m lucky to pics with my Dad on both bridges.

If you’re playing in US am’s and qualifying for Opens, sure, you can post a good round. If you’re a country club kid with an appreciation and reverence for where you are (and you’re accustomed to slowish bermuda) then enjoy your day, enjoy the walk & enjoy all the 85+ shots you’re fixing to card..... i did

• Like 1

A true tourney scratch, easy peasy. Big city and regional and national events type of player. I know many guys personally that could do that. With a month of practice I think I could handle it myself

A zero playing at a 6,000 to 6,400 yard home course rated 120 has no chance

As a 2 cap, I broke 80 at Muirfield Village from tips with two water balls = double. I'd never seen the place. Similar track with lots of water and insane greens

To be fair, I play a very hard home course with very nutso greens (7000, 74 144) and used to be a scratch university golfer. Funny story, Gary Player said our greens are too severe, and he's always positive

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> A true tourney scratch, easy peasy. Big city and regional and national events type of player. I know many guys personally that could do that. With a month of practice I think I could handle it myself

> A zero playing at a 6,000 to 6,400 yard home course rated 120 has no chance

> As a 2 cap, I broke 80 at Muirfield Village from tips with two water balls = double. I'd never seen the place. Similar track with lots of water and insane greens

> To be fair, I play a very hard home course with very nutso greens (7000, 74 144) and used to be a scratch university golfer. Funny story, Gary Player said our greens are too severe, and he's always positive

No practice before hand. Just a one hour warm up.

This thread is pure speculation because it's never going to happen.