2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Playing Hickory Golf

The seventh and last course of my holiday on the Isle of Arran, I played hickory at Shiskine as above and classics at the other 5 but today was hickory again at Corrie Golf Club. Another 9 hole course which I’m sure I found a website for earlier in the year but doesn’t seem to be up anymore. From the outside this is a humble course but it delivers in so many ways. Established in 1892, there are half a dozen old pictures in the tea room attached and a Captain’s board dating back to the turn of the last century. The clubhouse is fantastic and looks like an old railway station.

I was playing a set of six hickory clubs again, as per picture below, driver, jigger, mashie, mashie niblick, niblick and putter.

I got there just after 9.30 am and nobody was on the course, I asked the guy in the tea room if I’d be able to play from the white tees and he said yes, but half way down the third hole I was told by the greenkeeper that it was yellows only outside of competitions, not to worry, I’d teed off from the whites on the first and second, the two holes I’d been visualising for months. The yardage for the mixed tees I used was 1,712 yards, par 31, SSS from the yellows 30. A short course by any measure and one that would be overpowered by today’s equipment but perfect for hickory play, even then I only used the driver on two holes.

As soon as I got there I felt that the course was going to live up to my expectations and the fact that I made my best score of the week was the icing on the cake!

First hole I hit a soft mashie to pin high 15 feet left, the birdie putt just tailed off on the low side but a nice par start. Even my short game behaved itself and I went round in 34 gross, 3 over par, 4 or 5 under my hickory handicap.

The course was in great condition and the greens were amazing for such a small club, in fact I’d say that they were the best I played on all week. Everything about the round was a delight, even the weather stayed dry bar a very few drops of rain around the 5th hole. It was so good to finish my Arran golf experience on such a high note and I drove away from the course grinning from ear to ear.

I rate this course as equal first for the most beautiful that I’ve played, sharing the position with Traigh GC on the west coast of Scotland, another 9 hole course funnily enough.

If you’re ever on Arran, make sure you find the time to play this course.

Pictures below:

- Clubs for the day, apologies for the non-period bag!

- The clubhouse complete with seagull

- 1st hole, the closer green is the 9th hole

- From the 3rd tee

- 3rd green, one of two old fashioned square greens which you just don’t see anymore.

- 4th hole

- 5th green with a bit of weather threatening but it passed me by.

- 6th green and another square one, the 7th tee was just to the right with a downhill drive to the left of the greenkeeper's tractor.

• Like 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

• 3 weeks later...

I have been interested in trying hickory for a while. Does anyone know where a I can get a budget starter set?

Max Hill is recommended on SoHG for putting together starter sets. [email protected]

These will be ready to play for sure. Otherwise craigslist for clubs, and youtube for learning how to get them playable if they arent tight.

• 1 month later...

The traditionalists are going to scoff...

But I have been having a really good time playing a Ping mini driver, Ping 5-wood, and Tad Moore Victor 3, 5, 7, 8 and Star OA niblick. Chicopee putter. Scoring just about as well as with my modern set, sometimes better, and having more fun.

I had to quit playing hickory tournaments because the hickory driver was causing back problems. Playing a practice round and two tournament rounds was too much; I could hardly swing on the third day. I don't play 2 days in a row anymore; my non-traditional hickory set seems to be just fine for the back.

I do miss the hickory golfers that I came to know at tournaments.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

The traditionalists are going to scoff...

But I have been having a really good time playing a Ping mini driver, Ping 5-wood, and Tad Moore Victor 3, 5, 7, 8 and Star OA niblick. Chicopee putter. Scoring just about as well as with my modern set, sometimes better, and having more fun.

my non-traditional hickory set seems to be just fine for the back.

I have thought about doing the same thing. I don't have and hickory woods, so I have had to substitute when I go out with them. I either take two MacGregor woods that were given to me by Baloo, or a Louisville Golf Smart Persimmon driver with a very old Wilson 3 wood with a checkered face. If I could find a decent looking hickory wood I would probably get one, but so far I haven't even seen any locally. So, I play with what I got. But yeah, scoring has been just about the same regardless. Fun factor is a little higher too.

I know guys who compete in NCGA and club tournaments with their hickory irons and a modern driver. Is what it is. Clearly the biggest difference between hickory and modern play is the tee club. Today's tee technology simply enables significantly longer drives with greater control. If you enjoy playing hickory irons, then rock 'em. If the brassie it too difficult, then play something else. Golf should be about what makes you happy.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

• 1 month later...

Snuck out this afternoon for a quick walking nine with my son before the 5-8 inches of snow comes tonight. Short set of Nicoll Braids (Iron, Mashie, Niblick) and Spalding mallet putter. 38 degrees but no wind. Soggy grounds. Eight bogies and a par. Fairly typical scoring. If the weather forecast holds it’ll be a while before I play again. Was nice to get out in late November here in Michigan.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know guys who compete in NCGA and club tournaments with their hickory irons and a modern driver. Is what it is. Clearly the biggest difference between hickory and modern play is the tee club. Today's tee technology simply enables significantly longer drives with greater control. If you enjoy playing hickory irons, then rock 'em. If the brassie it too difficult, then play something else. Golf should be about what makes you happy.

I have been doing just that with the odd number Tad Moore Victor irons, Star OA niblick, Chicopee putter, and a modern mini driver (Ping Rapture) and 5-wood. I score just about the same as with my modern set, and have more fun. Especially when playing competitors figure out what I'm doing!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Just reading that makes me happy...same applies to rocking your P&Bs.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the afternoon off from work to bolster my December Golf Warrior rep. High 30s, wind at 20, rain, sleet and snow (Michigan of course). Hickory kit was Hagen driving iron, Macgregor Mashie and misc Nicolls (Spade Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick and putter). Walked 9 at little exec course and then drove to another nearby course for a second 9. Will shoot for at least one more 2018 round over the weekend. Take that Mother Nature!

Took the afternoon off from work to bolster my December Golf Warrior rep. High 30s, wind at 20, rain, sleet and snow (Michigan of course). Hickory kit was Hagen driving iron, Macgregor Mashie and misc Nicolls (Spade Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick and putter). Walked 9 at little exec course and then drove to another nearby course for a second 9. Will shoot for at least one more 2018 round over the weekend. Take that Mother Nature!

Great job handling the weather. Not too different here in Chicago but I've decided to put the hickories away after a 9 hole round last week (mid-40s). Hope to be out on the course by mid-January if possible.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

• 2 months later...

My first hickory game of the year, with the British Golf Collectors Society.

Played foursomes against and at Royal Worlington & Newmarket, 18 holes in the morning and 9 in the afternoon.

I had one of my best putting days for a while but we still lost the morning match after a match play moment on the 16th.

We were on the fringe in two and they were 120 yards out after having to hack out from under a tree, they then hit a good shot into the teeth of the wind (which was strong today!) and holed from 20 feet for par, we took three from the fringe and lost the hole to go dormey 2 down and a half on the 17th sealed our fate.

After a fine lunch, a 3 and 1 win in the afternoon rounded off a very enjoyable day.

• Like 1

I'm after some club ID help please. When we were kids we had a couple of hickory clubs to play with in the garden, I thought they’d long since disappeared but my brother mentioned to me the other day that he’d still got the putter and did I want it? “W. Park Musselburgh” he said. Definitely! I replied.

I collected it today and I’m not sure now if it is a putter, can anybody confirm or otherwise please?

What makes me suspect it might not be a putter is the lie angle which seems far too flat for a putter, everything else suggests putter though.

Pictures below.

Lie angle is approx 58 degrees

The face measures 3 3/8” from the hosel to toe.

The face is flat.

Hosel length is 4”

Shaft length 35 ¼”

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Played in the Welsh Hickory Open today at Aberdovey, a round of two halves if ever there was one.

Going out with the wind behind I played half decent to score 16 points, even with a 4 putt from about 25 feet....

Coming in against the wind I completely lost my swing and score one point! I thought I wasn't going to score anything at one stage but a tricky 4 footer on the 17th saved the day!

Like many links courses in the UK the fairways are still way behind after last year's very dry summer and I was often hitting off bare ground. I could have done with a fairway wood for a bit of margin instead of the irons I was hitting where anything other than a clean strike resulted in a poor shot, and with my swing having gone west that was a lot of poor shots. :o

• Like 1

> @Jiggered said:

> Played in the Welsh Hickory Open today at Aberdovey, a round of two halves if ever there was one.

>

> Going out with the wind behind I played half decent to score 16 points, even with a 4 putt from about 25 feet....

> Coming in against the wind I completely lost my swing and score one point! I thought I wasn't going to score anything at one stage but a tricky 4 footer on the 17th saved the day!

>

> Like many links courses in the UK the fairways are still way behind after last year's very dry summer and I was often hitting off bare ground. I could have done with a fairway wood for a bit of margin instead of the irons I was hitting where anything other than a clean strike resulted in a poor shot, and with my swing having gone west that was a lot of poor shots. :o

Same in Scotland. It was evident that replica iron clubs designed with a level of bounce not available with originals had a distinct advantage over our old 'diggers'.

• 2 weeks later...

I played my first round of hickory in quite some time last Sunday. The front nine was a real struggle, I couldn't make anything work and shot 46. Then something clicked (short game, mostly) and I started turning those bogies into pars on the back. Shot 39 coming in.

As for the attire, I always dress 'hickory' for church, [smiley face], so this is what I wore that morning. Church is the one place where this is not only acceptable, it is generally well received. Every Sunday I get stopped by several ladies who compliment me. Yes, chicks dig the bowtie.

Here are some action pics:

hxq70fw3mzak.jpg

hisemfhtrgf8.jpg

Three observations about my swing:

1) I've lost a lot of weight since I posted my last swing pics about five months ago (25 pounds, +/-), which is a good thing.

2) I'm still losing my lag too early in my swing, a not so good thing.

3) With the hickory driver I have to strengthen my grip considerably in order to square the clubface at impact. Its not pretty but it works.

• Like 2

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Looks good Kevin. It seems like you have a Tad driver there. Hope it’s working better for you than the old one (which works really well for me) that I now bag since I bought it from Tim. The hickory world is so small we can track individual clubs, lol.

Have fun!

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

Just heard this during the golf coverage. Hideki Matsuyama with a driver hits a flare to the right:

Faldo: "He needs to go and try to play with hickory, Dottie -- doesn't he?"

Dottie: "It would help the tempo..."

Faldo: "Yeah, seriously --"

Dottie: "Yeah, absolutely, great idea."

Faldo: "Get something super soft, get a couple of practice clubs with that have got, y'know, Tagliatelle as a shaft, that's what he needs, so he can just, got to swing it that smoothly, you can't force it."

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

I have been searching what balls most of you hickory players who play a modern, non-replica ball prefer, but most topics are a few years old now and the models have been replaced.

So far I have been playing the Wilson DX2 Soft ball exclusively, but been wondering if I’m loosing out on not playing a Urethane ball? On a few occasions when I have found a soft Urethane ball, I can’t say I’ve noticed a positive difference, but that has only been on a hole here or there so it’s difficult to know.

Everyone seems to measure compression differently, but what I’ve gathered is that for overall compression (not just core compression), the Bridgestone Tour B RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft and Srixon Q Star Tour seem to be the softest current Urethane balls with almost identical compression, with the Wilson Duo Professional right behind them just ever so slightly harder.

Doubt I would notice much difference between any of them (the list was more just a for your information type of thing, which I believe is true, but not even a 100% sure), but I’m more interested in hearing what type of ball most of you are playing and prefer now? The softest you can get, a Urethane covered ball, or some other charicaristics you look for?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

//M

• Like 1

Play whatever you like, but generally, a low compression of 35-50 gives a soft feel, a straighter ball flight, and is a bit gentler over time if you play with hickory often. I have tried just about every soft golf ball on the market, including a bunch of lady branded balls. In the end, I play a period accurate mesh pattern ball. From my view this is the only option to fully compliment a hickory golf club.

• Like 1
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a hickory tee club which I knew had a good weight to it but measuring it all up, the swing weight seems excessive. The head is stamped " Cochrane's Ltd, Edinburgh, PROFESSIONAL".

I'm wondering if clubs that were intended for use by professionals might have been made a bit heavier than for the average club golfer, does anyone have any information on this?

The club has a shaft length of 44.25", weighs 425 grams, has a balance point of 30 15/16" from the grip end, using the Excel spreadsheet swing weight calculator it comes in at F3!

Looking down on it, the head measures 2 1/2" from the top of the face to the back of the head. The sole has a triangular brass plate.

9ky0i2z1i2v1.png

oltxred8ix4j.png

• Like 1

I'm certain that golfers from the hickory era experimented with clubs just as golfers do today. At that SW, I'm guessing if you pull off the brass plate on the bottom you'll find a massive cavity full of lead. Unlikely, though not implausible, the weighting is not original for from the hickory era. I've seen a ton of hickory tee clubs, and they do vary in weighting, but it's rare to find one in the mid D range. The heaviest I've ever made a hickory tee club is E1. The weight helps distance, but requires some swing discipline. There is just no room for anything more than a long, smooth swing. Any attempt to influence the shot will twist and torque that shaft like Charles Barley swinging a ladies club.

Jiggered,

I've found that the modern swingweight scale just doesn't work for hickory clubs. Especially when calculated using a calculator vs a scale. The dispersion of weight it just too different to make them apply properly. For example. When I build out a hickory set I'll take the hickories and hit them in comparison to my modern clubs. I'll apply lead tape to the hickories until the two sets feel the same. I'll then measure the swingweights of the two sets to see where they fall and adjust the weighting on the hickories so they end up in a nice progression with each other. Inevitably I find that the hickory irons are 3-5 points heavier on the SW scale than the modern clubs and I end up playing a set of hickory irons that are around D9-E1. Woods on the other hand are a very different animal. To me a wood that weighs in at a standard SW will feel super light and unplayable. After playing with my current Driving Brassie for a few rounds I ended up putting ~20-25 grams of Tungsten under the sole plate to make it feel correct, that would have raised the swingweight by one full scale.

• Like 2

ebeer, hollabachgt, many thanks for your comments, most appreciated and food for thought.

Tad Moore made a good suggestion on another forum that the club might have been reshafted in its recent history by someone wishing to achieve a more modern driver length, although the grip looks pretty old and the shaft shows signs of being re-gripped during its life.

I think I'm just going to have to get this one out on the course and see how it behaves, I'm playing in a hickory event mid October so it would be nice to trial it before then. I've given it a few swings in the garden and it certainly feels like a club that can't be forced!