Hole No. 12 at ANGC

3jacker

So my thoughts on 12, and the number of times we have seen leaders fail by hitting tee shots short...

1. There is a phenomenon with the wind down there (it is the lowest part of one of the hilliest golf courses you have ever seen) where it can puff into your face without your realizing it.

2. We see a lot of memorable misses short, and since they are seen so dramatically on television, we remember them. But players have also missed long. ANGC has tried to trim up the garden of azaleas and forsythia (aka "Golden Bell," giving the hole its name) behind the green but it is still an unplayable jungle. We think of a ball going short and into Rae's Creek as the worst outcome but it isn't. Plugged and unplayable in the hillside behind the green is the worst. Next worst, or at least equal to the water hazard, is a lie behind the green where the ball stays on grass but is on the beginning of the upslope of the hill. Which is a downhill lie to the hole. That is an almost guaranteed bogey. Worse, if you blade it across the green and down into the creek. So there is a reason why Masters competitors are playing it so cozy with the water. Nobody wants to hit it long.

I hate to nitpick what was a perfectly good OP. And it is not personal; everyone including television announcers (I am looking at you Peter Kostis) does this. But when you are in match play, the guy you are playing with is your "opponent." When you are in medal/stroke play, the guy(s) you are playing with are "fellow competitors." Other guys in the competition are "competitors." I don't know where"playing partner," "playing companion" and "playing competitor" ever came from.

> @Rig14Port said:

> see: http://www.golfwrx.com/554246/no-12-at-augusta-national-the-golden-bell-tolls-for-koepka-molinari/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Sub&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=sub

> It was designed to visually lure players into making a mistake. This is what Robert Trent Jones was known for with his course architecture. Probably the best designed hole in golf for the drama it can create late in a Sunday major.

Not sure the Robert Trent Jones Jr. had much impact on 12. The green has been raised 18", the bunkering changed a bit, and the right side of the green was enlarged by Perry Maxwell. But the original work by Alistair MacKenzie of the basic layout and angle from the tee remains.

Trent Jones was responsible for changing the angle of play at 16, lengthening the hole, and introducing the pont.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @manku said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > I think Ray Floyd said he *never shoots at that pin on Sunday.

>

> Unfortunately he forgot to never shoot at the pin on 11 either ?

he wasn't shooting at the pin...that's why he missed.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

While we have seen other leaders hit the water on #12 on Sunday, we haven't seen 4 leaders out

of 6 be short and in the water. They must have all been fooled by the wind, either wind they didn't

get of wind they didn't expect. All 4 couldn't have miss hit it. It sounded like Molinari might have

miss hit it. You still have to hit the correct club when hitting over the bunker, so Tiger got the

wind correct.

When the pin is way left on Saturday, it's a similar shot but 10-15 yards less and we almost never see

a shot short and in the water.

> @gvogel said:

> > @Rig14Port said:

> > see: http://www.golfwrx.com/554246/no-12-at-augusta-national-the-golden-bell-tolls-for-koepka-molinari/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Sub&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=sub

> > It was designed to visually lure players into making a mistake. This is what Robert Trent Jones was known for with his course architecture. Probably the best designed hole in golf for the drama it can create late in a Sunday major.

>

> Not sure the Robert Trent Jones Jr. had much impact on 12. The green has been raised 18", the bunkering changed a bit, and the right side of the green was enlarged by Perry Maxwell. But the original work by Alistair MacKenzie of the basic layout and angle from the tee remains.

>

> Trent Jones was responsible for changing the angle of play at 16, lengthening the hole, and introducing the pont.

Yes that tee box angle is tricky

DJ hit it 9 feet behind the pin .... baller

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @Handfull said:

> Also keep in mind the distance from the Sunday pin and the slope to a watery grave is only 8-9 yards. So even though it seemed odd so many went in the drink, the shots were not really that short. Every other green 8-9yds short of the pin results in a make-able putt.

8-9 yards is a pretty big miss for a pro from that yardage. I love #12, truly the most exciting hole to watch on a Sunday.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

> @cardoza said:

> > @Handfull said:

> > Also keep in mind the distance from the Sunday pin and the slope to a watery grave is only 8-9 yards. So even though it seemed odd so many went in the drink, the shots were not really that short. Every other green 8-9yds short of the pin results in a make-able putt.

>

>** 8-9 yards is a pretty big miss for a pro from that yardage**. I love #12, truly the most exciting hole to watch on a Sunday.

If there is a bit of wind above the trees and you are playing a high fade, that's plenty - about 15mph into you is going to take that amount of yardage off. I would imagine that most people want to hit it over the bunker, but subconsciously they manipulate the club face to aim more at the flag (which is a natural instinct) add a degree of loft, hit some wind they can't feel, and splosh!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Everyone knows not to go for that pin. My dog knows not to go for that pin. The problem appears to be that you just can't get the flag out of your head. You aim for the center of the green, and right before contact a little piece of your brain tries to feather the ball to the right. One of the commentators (I think it was Faldo) said that if they took the pin out of the hole, no one would hit in the water.

Going for the middle -left of the green is the only play on Sunday unless you want to risk leaving a week's work in the pond. However,although it may be the only play, it isn't an easy shot. It's still a demanding shot that needs to be executed precisely, distance-wise, and under the toughest pressure a golfer is likely to face. I remember one year Greg Norman goosed it long and left and basically left his week's work up in those pretty bushes behind the green. Also, the putt that Tiger left himself after his smart play was still no easy putt under tournament conditions. And he left it considerably short of where he wanted it. He had to make a very dicey putt for his par. It may have been an even tougher putt if the greens were their usual Sunday speed. It's a tough hole, perfectly positioned for maximum drama.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @3jacker said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > It's a bad decision that leads to a ball in the water. Experience wins every single time.

> > Been watching the Masters since 1976. It's always been said, "Forget the flag, take the yardage over the right portion of the bunker and add 3."

>

> So if a bunch of internet golf forum goobs like us know that, why don't Young Jordan, Frankie, Tony et al know this?

> Seems like someone should tell them.

Like the WRX'ers, there's theory and then reality. As the pros plan their rounds or as we goobs plan a hole, we know what we SHOULD do. But as was the case with Molinari, when you're hitting the ball well and your confidence is high, you say F the theory because you can hit the shot. Molinari was between an 8 and 9, tried to hit an easy 8 when he should have hit the stock 8 and voila, a watery grave.

I don't question that the wind swirls but these guys have played there for years, have played competitive rounds and practice rounds and they **_should_** know what to do. Ego takes over and the results speak for themselves.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @3jacker said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > It's a bad decision that leads to a ball in the water. Experience wins every single time.

> > > Been watching the Masters since 1976. It's always been said, "Forget the flag, take the yardage over the right portion of the bunker and add 3."

> >

> > So if a bunch of internet golf forum goobs like us know that, why don't Young Jordan, Frankie, Tony et al know this?

> > Seems like someone should tell them.

>

> Like the WRX'ers, there's theory and then reality. As the pros plan their rounds or as we goobs plan a hole, we know what we SHOULD do. But as was the case with Molinari, when you're hitting the ball well and your confidence is high, you say F the theory because you can hit the shot. Molinari was between an 8 and 9, tried to hit an easy 8 when he should have hit the stock 8 and voila, a watery grave.

>

> I don't question that the wind swirls but these guys have played there for years, have played competitive rounds and practice rounds and they **_should_** know what to do. Ego takes over and the results speak for themselves.

The mistake was **making the decision** despite just watching Bruce and Poulter come up short.

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @3jacker said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > It's a bad decision that leads to a ball in the water. Experience wins every single time.

> > > > Been watching the Masters since 1976. It's always been said, "Forget the flag, take the yardage over the right portion of the bunker and add 3."

> > >

> > > So if a bunch of internet golf forum goobs like us know that, why don't Young Jordan, Frankie, Tony et al know this?

> > > Seems like someone should tell them.

> >

> > Like the WRX'ers, there's theory and then reality. As the pros plan their rounds or as we goobs plan a hole, we know what we SHOULD do. But as was the case with Molinari, when you're hitting the ball well and your confidence is high, you say F the theory because you can hit the shot. Molinari was between an 8 and 9, tried to hit an easy 8 when he should have hit the stock 8 and voila, a watery grave.

> >

> > I don't question that the wind swirls but these guys have played there for years, have played competitive rounds and practice rounds and they **_should_** know what to do. Ego takes over and the results speak for themselves.

>

> The mistake was **making the decision** despite just watching Bruce and Poulter come up short.

Isn't that Ego Sir?

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @3jacker said:

> > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > It's a bad decision that leads to a ball in the water. Experience wins every single time.

> > > > > Been watching the Masters since 1976. It's always been said, "Forget the flag, take the yardage over the right portion of the bunker and add 3."

> > > >

> > > > So if a bunch of internet golf forum goobs like us know that, why don't Young Jordan, Frankie, Tony et al know this?

> > > > Seems like someone should tell them.

> > >

> > > Like the WRX'ers, there's theory and then reality. As the pros plan their rounds or as we goobs plan a hole, we know what we SHOULD do. But as was the case with Molinari, when you're hitting the ball well and your confidence is high, you say F the theory because you can hit the shot. Molinari was between an 8 and 9, tried to hit an easy 8 when he should have hit the stock 8 and voila, a watery grave.

> > >

> > > I don't question that the wind swirls but these guys have played there for years, have played competitive rounds and practice rounds and they **_should_** know what to do. Ego takes over and the results speak for themselves.

> >

> > The mistake was **making the decision** despite just watching Bruce and Poulter come up short.

>

> Isn't that Ego Sir?

No. The decision had ZERO to do with esteem or confidence.

He simply made an error in judgement due to lack of playing experience. This assertion of mine is based on FM making the cut only six times in his career. It boils down to not having enough Sundays at # 12 under his belt, sir.

fuvustzqca9w.png

Hang on Ferg...he made the cut in 5 of 7 Masters. Not all bad. That would mean prior to Sunday, Frankie has played that hole 23 times and caddied on that hole 2-4 times.He's probably seen 100+ tee shots on 12 with the pin in a multitude of positions. Surely (sorry for calling you surely) that's enough experience to make a non-ego decision?

Do you guys think it is more execution (ie miss hit) or WIND

I think it is more of miss hit under pressure

Surprised we don't see more players hitting knockdowns here

And I know guys talking about long left as dead but long right seems OK on Sunday

We have a 210 yard downhill par 3 with a water feature like this. Carry is 12 yards less on the left. Anything high and weak right is wet. It's so hard that the CDN tour played it from 190 all week when they had the tour championship here. Weir won it btw, Stricker 2nd.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Aside from the obvious tee shot debacles on 12 what I found equally amazing mentally is that both Moli and Finau blew very make able bogey saving putts. Meanwhile Tiger left a miss able 4-5 footer and buried it. I had my own golf tourney on Sunday and I stayed to watch these guys play 12 and told my wife if Moli stays dry on 12 he will win. I was shocked that 4 of the last 6 guys rinsed it. I think the hole can be arbitrary due to the wind but the player and caddie can always aim over the bunker and yet rarely do. I think Tom Lehman had the longest dry streak there and the shot shouldn't fit him. But he traps it and keep the ball down and aims properly. Simple on paper- not easy apparently when you think you have a chance at the jacket.

• Like 1

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Hang on Ferg...he made the cut in 5 of 7 Masters. Not all bad. That would mean prior to Sunday, Frankie has played that hole 23 times and caddied on that hole 2-4 times.He's probably seen 100+ tee shots on 12 with the pin in a multitude of positions. Surely (sorry for calling you surely) that's enough experience to make a non-ego decision?

Ego had nothing to do with it, my friend.

In his history of seeing ~ 100+ shots and playing that hole 23 times, he never once had to face Tiger, swirling winds and the lead concurrently. He didn't have the experience to back away, look to the left and take an extra bat. Instead, he used what limited experience he had and made a bad choice. Happens to the best of us.

> @Ferguson said:

>

>

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Hang on Ferg...he made the cut in 5 of 7 Masters. Not all bad. That would mean prior to Sunday, Frankie has played that hole 23 times and caddied on that hole 2-4 times.He's probably seen 100+ tee shots on 12 with the pin in a multitude of positions. Surely (sorry for calling you surely) that's enough experience to make a non-ego decision?

>

> Ego had nothing to do with it, my friend.

>

> In his history of seeing ~ 100+ shots and playing that hole 23 times, he never once had to face Tiger, swirling winds and the lead concurrently. He didn't have the experience to back away, look to the left and take an extra bat. Instead, he used what limited experience he had and made a bad choice. Happens to the best of us.

>

Fair enough. In the words of Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, Base Commander at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba, where he is stationed only several hundred yards away from 4,000 men that are trained to kill him, "I don't know the pre-shot routine or mental process of Francisco Molinari."

> @ex0dus said:

> I saw a comment from Nicklaus that he always aimed at the front bunker, maybe shading it left side or right side of the trap.

I don't get why every guy isn't doing this - especially a guy with a 2 shot lead. Worst case, if you come up short, is that you're probably in the bunker and have a decent chance to get up and down. Nobody should be hunting that Sunday pin unless they are 2-3 back.

I played a competitive round yesterday with a friend who has had the opportunity to play Augusta National. Thinking of this thread, I asked him directly if the hole was as intimidating from the tee box as it appears on the television. He commented that it was one of only two bogies he made that day. He also said that some of the member tee boxes are 100 yards in front of the tournament tees, but that the 12th pretty much plays the same as it does during the tournament. We spoke about it for about 5 minutes and my thoughts were as many of you have written: the pros are simply so good they cannot aim away from the pin. The logic that so many green jacket dreams have died on that hole still will not sway them to simply hit it in between the bunkers and hope for a two putt. Spieth's epic collapse was one thing, but that many top players making double on that hole on Sunday was almost unfathomable to me.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> >

> >

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > Hang on Ferg...he made the cut in 5 of 7 Masters. Not all bad. That would mean prior to Sunday, Frankie has played that hole 23 times and caddied on that hole 2-4 times.He's probably seen 100+ tee shots on 12 with the pin in a multitude of positions. Surely (sorry for calling you surely) that's enough experience to make a non-ego decision?

> >

> > Ego had nothing to do with it, my friend.

> >

> > In his history of seeing ~ 100+ shots and playing that hole 23 times, he never once had to face Tiger, swirling winds and the lead concurrently. He didn't have the experience to back away, look to the left and take an extra bat. Instead, he used what limited experience he had and made a bad choice. Happens to the best of us.

> >

>

> Fair enough. In the words of Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, Base Commander at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba, where he is stationed only several hundred yards away from 4,000 men that are trained to kill him, "I don't know the pre-shot routine or mental process of Francisco Molinari."

I am almost finished with my examination, Colonel. Just one more thing..................if you felt it was an ego thing that caused him to miss that shot, and it was the ego thing that got him into the lead, how can the ego thing be the thing that caused the missed shot?

> @cardoustie said:

> Do you guys think it is more execution (ie miss hit) or WIND

> I think it is more of miss hit under pressure

> Surprised we don't see more players hitting knockdowns here

> And I know guys talking about long left as dead but long right seems OK on Sunday

> We have a 210 yard downhill par 3 with a water feature like this. Carry is 12 yards less on the left. Anything high and weak right is wet. It's so hard that the CDN tour played it from 190 all week when they had the tour championship here. Weir won it btw, Stricker 2nd.

I think these guys just need to listen to Jack's advice and play for middle of green. That front bunker (and back bunker) is a nice cushion in case you under-club or over-club.

• Like 1

> @3jacker said:

> Obviously TW played it smart. Amazes me how many of these other guys don't.

>

> I'll keep that in mind if I ever find myself in contention for the Master's on Sunday.

I'll be pulling for you. Just make sure to shave, you look a little rough in that avatar self photo. Good luck. :D