The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

Boyz and girls, I believe the Fusion is now officially relegated to the backup bag. OK, the closet since I don't keep a backup bag. LOL

Had a really good 2.5 years run with it though. Best driver I ever owned. 'Til now ?

After much testing of all the new drivers I've settled on the Epic Flash Sub Zero, 10.5 with Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0 at 44.75" (had the Black in my Fusion).

Getting pretty much exactly what the sim was showing me. The sim testing showed the spin rate lower and the carry further (about 10 yards on average). And while we don't get much roll out in SoFla no matter what time of year it appears there seems to be a bit more roll out as well.

The club overall has a little bit heftier feel to it as well and i think my swing has stabilized a bit. I'd occasionally get into a little trouble with the lighter feeling/swinging Fusion and get out of sync (the Fusion usually saved me though LOL).

Played with the EFSZ about 6 rounds now. First 4 were excellent, then 1 bad one, and today, another very good one.

The King is dead. Long live the King !!!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> Boyz and girls, I believe the Fusion is now officially relegated to the backup bag. OK, the closet since I don't keep a backup bag. LOL

>

> Had a really good 2.5 years run with it though. Best driver I ever owned. 'Til now ?

>

> After much testing of all the new drivers I've settled on the Epic Flash Sub Zero, 10.5 with Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0 at 44.75" (had the Black in my Fusion).

>

> Getting pretty much exactly what the sim was showing me. The sim testing showed the spin rate lower and the carry further (about 10 yards on average). And while we don't get much roll out in SoFla no matter what time of year it appears there seems to be a bit more roll out as well.

>

> The club overall has a little bit heftier feel to it as well and i think my swing has stabilized a bit. I'd occasionally get into a little trouble with the lighter feeling/swinging Fusion and get out of sync (the Fusion usually saved me though LOL).

>

> Played with the EFSZ about 6 rounds now. First 4 were excellent, then 1 bad one, and today, another very good one.

>

> The King is dead. Long live the King !!!

You'll be back...

I tried the 44 1/2" driver and it was okay after I made adjustments, but no adjustments needed with the 45" driver. For some reason 45 and 12 gram are money. I was pulling it left with the 44 1/2. That is with a 16 gram weight, maybe 12 would be better, but the 45 is just plain awesome!!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Fusion is still in the bag at 10.5 with 14 gram weight playing a 45 but with Venus 5 regular replacing the Fuji evo 661 III Stiff but it is seriously being challenged by the Mizuno st 190 with Fuji evo V 661 Stiff-Regular flex.

My old cobra encore lasted 3 years in the bag before the fusion replaced it.

Sooner or later it will be replaced but great club.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

> @johnnythunders said:

> Sooner or later it will be replaced but great club.

Lol, I'm not so sure (on the replacing), so I've bought a backup of my set-up. Being on or close to the fairway off the tee this year with the BB Fusion has been big for my scores and enjoyment. It wasn't fun for me, or my playing partners, spraying the ball off the tee. Much more enjoyable being in a good position. And I am not hitting it short--this still gets it out there. There will always be the latest and greatest, and a few yards to grab, but I am probably good staying where I am. YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

i fit my buddy for one of these; 9* head with HZRDUS Black 63g 6.5 tipped 1", playing 45.25" with some lead tape added parallel to the face (about 5g worth) . he absolutely pounds the thing and hasn't hit it as straight or long in his life.

this was hands down the most underrated driver for callaway in a long time.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Shoot. I've been wanting the Srixon Z785 to work for me since testing it out at a demo day back in sept/oct 2018. The Srixon felt great off the face and during the demo day, it seemed like it was very consistent. I bought the driver off the Bay, played it for the last 4-5 months trying to make it work and it's still broken, lol. Hit some great shots when flushed, best distance ever type shots, but that's like 10% of the time maybe at most; I suck, but that's besides the point. I just can't get consistent with it. Today, put the trusty old set up back in the bag, BB Fusion with Paderson VMT shaft, and all those misses and headaches were gone! This setup, for me, just works magic. It maybe 10 yards or so shorter, based on potential, but the feel, and for me, probably the most important aspect of it all, the BB Fusion looks and feels perfect at address for me. I set up how it feels, look down, looks perfect, hit the ball. I had to do a lot of maneveuring with the Srixon (and Cobra f9 test drive) to make it feel and look 'right' at address for me. Guess no more cheating on the Fusion, renew the vows and time to run with it for the next 5 years+.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Original poster back again.

I tried to cheat on my Fusion with a Ping G400, a PXG 0811XF and then a Taylormade M4.

None of them were any better on the course or on the monitor.

And none of them sounded, felt or looked as good.

So I sold them and bought yet another Fusion.

Best driver since the R7 Superquad.

• Like 2

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

> @sfdoddsy said:

> Original poster back again.

> I tried to cheat on my Fusion with a Ping G400, a PXG 0811XF and then a Taylormade M4.

> None of them were any better on the course or on the monitor.

> And none of them sounded, felt or looked as good.

> So I sold them and bought yet another Fusion.

> Best driver since the R7 Superquad.

The OP, in the flesh... ;) Glad to see you're still on the Fusion train. It really is still that good. I've hit G400 SFT and Max, M2, M4, plenty of Cobras and the like. Even other Callaways--Rogue, Epic, etc. The Fusion is more forgiving, and has better sound and feel than most. Plus, it simply offers plenty of tweaking, with the shaft options (and loft and draw settings), and the ability to easily change the head-weight to account for shorter shafts, etc. I've picked up a number of different weights off ebay to have around.

And the Fusion flat-out performs. The only driver that has really put it to the test for me is the G400 Max, which is such a good driver, but still doesn't quite put me in as many fairways as the Fusion, or keep me out of trouble as much as the Fusion. I've said before, that the 13.5* Fusion plays more like a 10.5* from other companies, maybe due to lower spin. And I have back-ups of the 13.5*. But I did recently pick up a 10.5* head to give it a run. Never know.

Great driver.

> @ewe8523 said:

> Looking at this as a possibility for my dad. What are some shaft recommendations for someone who is 60 years old?

What is your dad's swing like? I'm north of 60 and did not like the stock Recoil shaft. For me it was too light. I have a quick transition and needed a heavier shaft. Went with a Evenflow shaft I purchased from Callaway preowned.

If your dad has a smooth swing the recoil might work.

15 hcp

> @ewe8523 said:

> Looking at this as a possibility for my dad. What are some shaft recommendations for someone who is 60 years old?

I’m the same age. Swing speed in the high 80’s. Smooth transition. I find the stock Recoil shaft in Reg flex works great.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

I have a funky swing and a very heavy (but consistent) draw that seems to be corrected a bit by adjustments but it's been really hit or miss.

I'm wondering how have other draw-drivers out there been approaching the adjustment procedure?

If I just keep making slight adjustments at this rate it'll take me the whole year to start getting consistent drives.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently purchased an Epic Flash and initially it didn't replace my Fusion but as my swing has gotten better the Fusion is now in the back up bag. The Epic Flash is not as forgiving but definitely quite a bit longer. The fusion was one of the best drivers I have ever owned and I'll keep it as a back up as I feel if I ever have issues with hitting the fairway, I can drop it back into the bag with a high degree of confidence that I can hit fairways with it by sacrificing some yardage. A seriously under-rated club and prob the best cost/benefit driver out there.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a fusion 9 from callaway preowned and gamed it twice this week. Initial results are promising, launches high with slight draw ( my shot shape) and no propensity to the dreaded low left quacking miss. I am using an over length RIP alpha green eyes stiff playing near 48". I am able to swing this combo pretty consistently . I'm planning to test this evening on skytrak against my current gamer GBB Epic 9 using the same shaft.

• Like 1

Driver: Sim 8 Tensei Pro White 60S
FW/Hybrid: CB Pro LTD 16.5, Sim Max 19
Irons: Adams MB2 7 plug 4-G Recoil 95 proto F4/ P-790 Recoil
Mizuno MP-R12 56/60
Putter: evnroll tour stroke

I got one on a whim 2 weeks ago with no intention of really gaming it, was cheap and remembered all the good stuff about it in here. Well M3 is now history, this thing is awesome. Paired it with an Aldila Rogue 60X and love it. Compared to the M3, maybe 5 yards shorter on best v best hits but I'm happy to give that up for how predictable it is, just point and shoot and the M3 was not bad.

I was able to take some swings with the fusion on the skytrak last night, short on time but the fusion matched the GBB Epic, launched a bit higher with perhaps a few more hundred rpm spin, but all below 3000 and generally in the 2400-2600 rpm range. I did feel like I could go after it without concern for it going off line. I'm pretty old (61) with arthritic thumbs so swing speed is below 100. Last night I was swinging around 95 mph with ball speeds 140-142, launching at 16-18. This matches what I get on good swings with the Epic, but without fear of the low left runner.

If you're on the fence I would recommend trying the head, I'll be gaming it in remaining tournament rounds this year.

Mizuno MP-R12 56/60

One last thought, mine came with the recoil F3 shaft and the genuine fusion headcover in like new condition to my door for $142. The recoil is great shaft for my irons, but I would have to add an extension for it compete with the aldila green eyes stiff.

Mizuno MP-R12 56/60

The Fusion is solidly back in the bag and I tried to knock it out with everything this year

Titleist TS3 and TS2 ( good drivers )

Taylormade M5. ( very very nice )

PXG 0811X and 0811XF, both are Gen2s and I liked these as well, but feel super heavy

Mizuno ST 190 and 190G, these have high ball speeds but feel really light

Cobra F9 Avalanche ( this driver looked great on Trackman but I couldn't reproduce the results outdoor)

Callaway Flash Triple Diamond ( didn't like it at all )

Ping 410LST ( currently in testing )

I used Ventus and HZRDUS Green for all my testing and testing involved at least 10 rounds of play and multiple range sessions and trackman sessions.

* I would still be playing the Fusion if it costs 3X as much as any driver on this list. It really is that good.

Still loving mine. 13.5* head, 44.5” shaft, 12g weight, -1/D setting. Dabbled with multiple shafts this season because I can’t leave well enough alone, but back with the stock stiff UST recoil and not messing around the rest of this season.

Like any driver, the BB Fusion is not idiot-proof, but it has great feel, finds a lot of fairways, and helps avoid big trouble on less than stellar swings. Just an amazing driver. Only driver I would seriously consider in its place is the G400 Max.

I tried an F8 driver, and no go. The Fusion kicked it squarely in the a.. I give up, I just cannot find a better driver, and the stock shaft is awesome. I was playing with some older gentleman and one of them asked me; what driver is that. I was knocking it out there.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me the stock head weight? What weights can be bought to add weight? I'm interested in trying to get this to D5/D6 at 45". Does the face sit square or open if the 9* is lofted down to 8*? Love the head shape.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.