Scotty Cameron Button Back Feel

drscott266

The studio stainless were mostly 330g so they were lighter than the Button Back. The feel of the BB is a muted click, if that makes sense. It feels very soft but you get an audible click sound. The Studio Stainless had a harder feel but I don't remember it exactly. I had a Newport Beach so it had a more high pitched sound than the solid face ones.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

> @collindm1 said:

> How does the button back feel compared to the 2014 lineup (last one piece milled lineup)? Would love to hit a button back someday, just curious as to the feedback and feel compared to what I currently have (newport 2014).

Those deep milled putters all felt softer but to me they also felt dead. I found the feedback on the button back to be similar but I didn't feel like I had to hit it harder to get it to the hole.

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

Comments are spot on. I'd go as far to say it's between the deep milled and the Studio Stainless. I've got a 303 stainless in another brand that's not deep milled, a 2012/13 Select and a Button Back. Out of those three, the BB gave the least feedback and also sees the least amount of bag time too. Xenon Element gets all the rounds these days.

> @8overpar said:

> Comments are spot on. I'd go as far to say it's between the deep milled and the Studio Stainless. I've got a 303 stainless in another brand that's not deep milled, a 2012/13 Select and a Button Back. Out of those three, the BB gave the least feedback and also sees the least amount of bag time too. Xenon Element gets all the rounds these days.

>

Thanks for the feedback, the more I think about it the more I think I might just be looking for ways to lighten my wallet for no reason. I had a Mil Spec last year that honestly didn’t feel much better if at all than my purely struck 2011 Studio Select. I wish I had pulled the trigger on a 2012-14 select for the deep milling... current Betti BB1 seems to be like that. How are the new Scotty Selects feeling?

Thanks for the insight 8over. I have long debated on purchasing a BB - but would never do it without rolling it first. I'm looking for something soft, yet firm with some feedback. Always have been curious about the feedback and if the BB had a "pure" feeling off of the face...I guess the question is - can you feel the off-center hits on the BB at all?

> @collindm1 said:

> Thanks for the insight 8over. I have long debated on purchasing a BB - but would never do it without rolling it first. I'm looking for something soft, yet firm with some feedback. Always have been curious about the feedback and if the BB had a "pure" feeling off of the face...I guess the question is - can you feel the off-center hits on the BB at all?

Sweet spot is about the size of a nickle. Mishits on the toe side go about 70% and you can feel it. Heel it and you get away with a few more putts. Tad hotter but could end up a foot or 2 short on a 10 footer.

I have a TeI3 but they never made the BB in lefty so I've never hit one. Most of the feedback sounds very similar to how I feel about the TeI3. It's very precise, lots of feedback, and lots of lost distance on mishits. Purely hit putts feel nice, but a VERY VERY small difference between the light milled carbon putters SC made. If anything a little more sound with a very similar feel due to the lack of any milling.

I have hit both, and while lighter; the Tel3 feels a little more 'solid' to me - like the earlier Carbons. The Buttonback is a beautiful putter, but to me has always seemed to play a little lighter than it's actual weight (I have mine weighted to 350g) if that makes sense to you. :-)

Rob

PS Edit - I took an original 1997 Tel3 Sole Stamp for a run on Sunday in honour of the Masters and Tiger being in the hunt and it was as good as I remembered and had no trouble getting the ball to the hole with the 330g head.

> @jokerusn said:

> > @collindm1 said:

> > How does the button back feel compared to the 2014 lineup (last one piece milled lineup)? Would love to hit a button back someday, just curious as to the feedback and feel compared to what I currently have (newport 2014).

>

So would you say the BB was better than dead feeling? I have stroked a Tei3 model in so long, but BB seems like it might be pretty cool.

S> @jokerusn said:

> > @collindm1 said:

> > How does the button back feel compared to the 2014 lineup (last one piece milled lineup)? Would love to hit a button back someday, just curious as to the feedback and feel compared to what I currently have (newport 2014).

>

> Those deep milled putters all felt softer but to me they also felt dead. I found the feedback on the button back to be similar but I didn't feel like I had to hit it harder to get it to the hole.

>

So would the BB be considered better feeling than dead to you? Have stroked a tei3 in forever but looking for a soft putter and thinking the deep milled or BB would be best choices for weight purposes.

> @drscott266 said:

> S> @jokerusn said:

> > > @collindm1 said:

> > > How does the button back feel compared to the 2014 lineup (last one piece milled lineup)? Would love to hit a button back someday, just curious as to the feedback and feel compared to what I currently have (newport 2014).

> >

> > Those deep milled putters all felt softer but to me they also felt dead. I found the feedback on the button back to be similar but I didn't feel like I had to hit it harder to get it to the hole.

> >

>

> So would the BB be considered better feeling than dead to you? Have stroked a tei3 in forever but looking for a soft putter and thinking the deep milled or BB would be best choices for weight purposes.

>

I prefer the Button Back feeling over the deep milled stainless. The deep milled is soft but I had trouble getting the speed right with it. It's all personal preference. The BB has the softness but also lets me control my speed better.

• Like 1

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

> @collindm1 said:

> Thanks for the insight 8over. I have long debated on purchasing a BB - but would never do it without rolling it first. I'm looking for something soft, yet firm with some feedback. Always have been curious about the feedback and if the BB had a "pure" feeling off of the face...I guess the question is - can you feel the off-center hits on the BB at all?

For me, this is exactly why I love the BB. The feel is soft, yet firm with some feedback

I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but you've got to roll one and you'll see what I mean

Also BB is probably the safest Cameron you can buy value wise. As long as you get one for a reasonable price, on the off chance you don't like it, you'll lose little if any money reselling it.

• Like 1

Yadi for President

@BYK That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm looking for that feel with some feedback. Currently game the 2014 deep milled newport but I think I want something more pure feeling off of the face, but with feedback. I'll be looking for one - I think that could be the exact feel I'm looking for. I've heard a few Brooks Koepka putts and I liked the sound it made on tv (from the 2018 US Open). Thanks again!

• Like 1

> @drscott266 said:

> How do you have to care for it, is the insert just very delicate?

No special care required. The insert doesn't need to be wiped down unless you want that shiny look. Mine has patina on it and I love it more than new. Same as any putter, don't hit rocks with it or the face will get dings.

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

• 3 years later...
On 4/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, 8overpar said:

Feels very nice. Soft for stainless due to the milling. Bought a used one and updated the paint and grip. It sits now too. 8sk52mrqkntu.jpeg

Which do you like better?

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

8 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Which do you like better?

If I had to pick one for the rest of my days, the Button Back would be it. I bought a Pro Platinum new in 2001 and I really enjoy that click. The Select really made the ball feel almost too soft. Feel and sound is an OCD thing for me. That leather grip and head cover only enjoys dry weather as well. Playing today in questionable sky's so the Black Lab BL-1 is getting used.

Edited by 8overpar

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, drscott266 said:

I hear that. People selling them seem to think they are end all be all at these prices. I literally have a Mil Spec 340g and a Select ‘12 in the mail as we speak, and I am still considering a BB.

Just grab a BB. It is a very nice putter! 

• Like 1
  1. Titleist TSR4 9º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 6X (A1) (Swing weight: D4)
  2. Titleist TSR2 15º w/ MCA Tensei Blue CK Pro Prototype 80TX (D1 setting) (43" (-4 weight) @ D4.1)
  3. Titliest TSR3 18º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 8X
  4. Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Fujikura Speeder EVO VII 757X
  5. Artisan HC 4-iron (23º) w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI
  6. Artisan MB 5-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (26º)
  7. Artisan MB 6-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI(30º)
  8. Artisan MB 7-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (34º)
  9. Artisan MB 8-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (38º)
  10. Artisan MB 9-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (42º)
  11. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (46.5º)
  12. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (51º)
  13. Artisan DS grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (56º)
  14. WM Tiger replica w/ Fujikura MC X-firm putter shaft & Ping grip (E1 @ 34 3/8")

2011 California Series and Studio Select feel is what you want. 

the deep milled feel starting in 2012 is great, but I think it lost its snap in favor of lower pitch.  When people say it feels dead, I can understand that sentiment. It’s still very good, however.  The 2011 Hollywood is quite possibly the best feeling putter ever made. Zero high pitch, super light fly milling, it just gives a perfect snappy sound with just the right amount of resonance.  It’s been a while since I hit a 2011 studio select, but I feel like it also has that same snap. 

• 3 months later...

how would you compare the feel of the '08 button back to the following??

- champion's choice bb (i rolled once in a store and felt much more solid in terms of weight hitting the ball but also soft)

- old Tei3 newport (felt very light and clicky to me)

- newer special select series (great blend of feels IMO, not too soft, not too firm, not too clicky)

- '08 range studio select (very pure and soft feel when hit on screws, a little light and clicky feel when off-center)

These are all the scotty's i'm familiar with.....trying to gauge how the BB will feel before pulling the trigger