We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

New TP5 and TP5X

Comments

• scratchswingerscratchswinger  16332Members Posts: 16,332
    Played the TP5X in a tourney with some wind recently. It’s a good ball, I still don’t think it feels as good as the PV1 but it definitely performs well.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • cjmeis26cjmeis26  3Members Posts: 3
    The covers on the balls feel totally different
    Posted:
  • KC4441KC4441 KC 750ClubWRX Posts: 750
    I was really excited to finally try the TP5 and TP5X this past week....but probably not a good test as I tried playing on a rain soaked course with sustained 25-30 mph winds, gusting up to 50 at times. It was so windy even down wind shots were getting knocked out of the air.
    Posted:
    M5 9.0 
    M3 T3 3 wood 
    P790 3 and 4 iron
    P770 4-9
    TM MG 48, 50, 
    Hi Toe 54/58
    MySpider X 
    TP5
    TMAG Tour Preferred Locker
  • laxbc101laxbc101  609Members Posts: 609
    KC4441 wrote:

I was really excited to finally try the TP5 and TP5X this past week....but probably not a good test as I tried playing on a rain soaked course with sustained 25-30 mph winds, gusting up to 50 at times. It was so windy even down wind shots were getting knocked out of the air.

Thanks for the on-course review
    Posted:
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND. 1881Members Posts: 1,881

Late to the party,but:

First time out with the 2019 TP5 yesterday. And I like ! Convinced already that I made the right choice In not getting the X version - as this feels firm enough for me.

Good flight with zero ballooning issues (Not hugely windy yesterday though), plenty of distance and no issues with too much spin on short irons - but the greens had clearly been sanded reasonably recently and weren’t 100%.

Longevity seems pretty good too. Ball deffo had one bounce off a tree, and went into the woods once too. Also saw plenty of 8 iron down action in its 18 holes. Still looks pretty fresh though - with only two significant scuffs / scuff areas of any sort and just one tiny slightly discoloured area of ‘tree rub’....

The fact I birdied the last; for -1 on the first of a 3 day trip away in the Kent area of the U.K. might be clouding my judgement though :D
    But with two more days golf ahead - I will use this one until ‘destruction’ to see how it lasts ! Hopefully can get more pics later - although I’m not sure how many golfers using premium balls like this would reasonably use for more than 18 holes in competitive circumstances anyway - so not sure if it’s truly relevant as such. Possibly interesting though....

Posted:
    Post edited by sevenfourate on
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    ODYSSEY White Hot Pro 2 - (Rossie) - 343g  / 34.5"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/

36 holes in and the TP5 still miraculously survives. Goodness knows how - as it seen some action today inc quite a few wedges, more than a couple of trees and a solid landing on a concrete cart path.

Likely looks better in pics than reality. The two large scuff areas either side of the TP5 logo (I align wherever possible - and it’s still pick and place in the fairway here in the UK) are more than I’d care for even as a casual play ball.

I’d be using this for shag-bag only. Still flew ok though to be fair: and I think it’s more than you could expect from a premium ‘soft’ ball.

I love it. TP Red LDP good ? Steady on ! :D

Posted:
    Post edited by sevenfourate on
    Regards - 'Shuv'

Advertisement
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8086Members Posts: 8,086

played the new TP5x this past weekend -- while not a huge jump from last model, it felt a bit firmer off putter and driver. could've been the weather but, i'm glad i bought a few dozen from last year.

Posted:

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• c50soonerc50sooner  87Members Posts: 87

First round with new TP5x today. Having played TP5x for last couple years, was a little worried about a whim 2 box purchase. Fortunately the new model still has all the same great qualities. Wonderful putter feel, soft feel on full shots, nice sound off driver, great distance. Impressive durability, quality look. Holds the line in wind. Nice spin into greens. If you like the old model, see no reason why you won't like the new.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Aldila NK2V Green S / Callaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi R / Callaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black S / Srixon Z355 5-PW - NS Pro 950GH S / Callaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300 / Odyssey Rossie 2 / TaylorMade TP5x
  • cubuffscubuffs Franklin, TN 410Members Posts: 410

On -, @gioguy21 said:

played the new TP5x this past weekend -- while not a huge jump from last model, it felt a bit firmer off putter and driver. could've been the weather but, i'm glad i bought a few dozen from last year.

Played for the first time today with the 2019 model, and couldn’t agree more. The performance seemed to be there, but I did seem to have more green side spin with mid and short iron approaches which I actually am trying to avoid. That, and completely agree with the firmer feeling as I much prefer the 2018 model.

Posted:
  • Tanner25Tanner25  6464Members Posts: 6,464

On -, @sevenfourate said:

Late to the party,but:

First time out with the 2019 TP5 yesterday. And I like ! Convinced already that I made the right choice In not getting the X version - as this feels firm enough for me.

Good flight with zero ballooning issues (Not hugely windy yesterday though), plenty of distance and no issues with too much spin on short irons - but the greens had clearly been sanded reasonably recently and weren’t 100%.

Longevity seems pretty good too. Ball deffo had one bounce off a tree, and went into the woods once too. Also saw plenty of 8 iron down action in its 18 holes. Still looks pretty fresh though - with only two significant scuffs / scuff areas of any sort and just one tiny slightly discoloured area of ‘tree rub’....

The fact I birdied the last; for -1 on the first of a 3 day trip away in the Kent area of the U.K. might be clouding my judgement though :D
    But with two more days golf ahead - I will use this one until ‘destruction’ to see how it lasts ! Hopefully can get more pics later - although I’m not sure how many golfers using premium balls like this would reasonably use for more than 18 holes in competitive circumstances anyway - so not sure if it’s truly relevant as such. Possibly interesting though....

Nice photo - what course?

Posted:
  • Willian70Willian70  408Members Posts: 408

I’m in the same situation as most. Played some tp5x balls TMAG gave away a few months back. Two balls for nine holes and the covers were damaged pretty badly. I cant only use a ball a few holes and then have to ditch it because of damage. However, it is long!!

Posted:
    Ping 410 LST Tour 75x
    Cobra Baffler 16* Tour Ad Di 7x
    Callaway X HOT PRO 19* V2
    Titleist 910h 23* Diamana
    PING g25 5-UW Tour Elevate x100
    Ping Glide 54, 58 s400
    Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Advertisement

On -, @Tanner25 said:

On -, @sevenfourate said:

Late to the party,but:

Nice photo - what course?

Westerham, Kent, England.

Yes it was really nice for early season.......

Posted:
    Regards - 'Shuv'

• jwb10jwb10 Major Winner Mars 1032Members Posts: 1,032

Still too cold here to use them...weird question, anybody know how I get rid of the goofy avatar ?

Posted:
  • ZNDavisZNDavis  87Members Posts: 87

On -, @jwb10 said:

Still too cold here to use them...weird question, anybody know how I get rid of the goofy avatar ?

Assuming you're using a laptop/pc/tablet -- go to the top right, click your goofy avatar, then click edit profile. On the right side of the page that comes up, click "change my picture"

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 • Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood • Titleist T-MB 2 iron • Bridgestone J40 DPC
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54° wedges • Taylormade Hi-Toe 58° wedge • Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bridgestone Tour B XS / Kirkland Tour Performance
  • BB28403BB28403  3949Members Posts: 3,949

Hey Guys using a Microscope Camera at 1 million x 1 million picture ratio. Stop. Too Close! I don't need to see your cells divide. not before fifth cup of coffee

Posted:
  • UnderParfectUnderParfect Farmington Hills MI 89Members Posts: 89

I got a chance to test the new 2019 TP5x vs old 2017 TP5x version on the course today. I played both balls side by side on each shot. It was 50 degree with 15-17mph winds, so it was not very warm, but I got to see how they performed in the wind. I don’t have my TS3 yet so of the tee I used my 917 4 wood. I’m a 5 hdcp for reference.

Feel - woods/hybrids 2019 feels more solid almost a hotter, like the ball is coming back to its shape faster. The 2017 I could feel it was softer but not as hot off the face. Irons the 2019 again feels more solid but could not feel a ton of difference here. Wedges, again solid and softer feel. The 2017 here seem to jump off of the face on chips around the green, where the 2019 didn’t have a jump so i was able to control it better. Never did the 2019 feel hard by any means.

The putter again it just feels more solid than the 2017. The 2017 feels lighter and a little harder to control. I had to hit the putt a little softer because it would jump off the face faster. The 2019 I could put a normal stroke on the putt and it came off feeling exactly how I hit it. I feel like I could be more aggressive with the 2019 and not feel like I was going to blow it by the hole.

Distance - woods/hybrid the 2019 was consistently further but only by 3-5 yards. I think this was from the faster ball speed and having that feeling if like the ball was coming back to shape faster. Irons, only saw a few more yards on good strikes but this was hard to really tell. Into the wind with irons the 2019 did seem to loose a little distance, like before it’s really hard to tell.

Launch/spin - launch was lower on the 2019 off of everything but not a lot. Woods/hybrids the spin did seem lower but no data to back it up. Irons, again no data but measuring from the ball mark to the ball the 2019 was stopping faster. I had three greens I hit with difference clubs for each hole and both balls hit right near each other and I could clearly see that the 2019 stopped faster. Wedges around the green the 2019 stopped a little faster but not like higher spin ball, so don’t expect this ball to have a hard check like the TP5. I play for more run out and these still stopped a little faster which was something I did enjoy. Wind play, it does seem like the 2019 spins more into the wind, side wind both 2017 and 2019 moved about the same.

Durability is never really a check point I look for in ball. I buy 3 dozen a year and unless it has a major gash in it then I will still play it. The rough ones will go into play in a non-competitive rounds or long carry par 3 that I might loose a ball. None of the balls I played today had any issues. I mostly look for feel and how it fits my game durability is not important to me.

If you want to know anything more let me know.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 Evenflow White 65g 6.0
    Titleist TS2 16.5 Evenflow White 75g 6.0
    Titleist 915H 18 & 24 - Dia Blue 70S
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW - Steelfiber i95 Stiff
    Vokey SM5 49, 54, 59 - Steelfiber i125 Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black T-Line / SS GT1.0 CC
    Titleist 2019 ProV1x

Advertisement
  • mb889mb889  156Members Posts: 156

UnderParfect

Thank you, great review. Looks like I need to try some 2019’s. I loved the X, but just always wanted a little more short game spin.

Posted:
    M5 10.5 Diamana B
    M2 16.5 AD DI7
    915 19* diamond blue
    PXG gen1 5-pw
    SM6 50, 54, 60
    Odyssey 7s
  • Smitty120Smitty120 MD 506Members Posts: 506

My thoughts without leaving a long review at this time. Been using the 17’ TP5X since it has been out. Just recently tried the the new ball. I can say it is a better version in my opinion. It may be just a touch firmer than previous but I do see more short game spin. I do not see any visual launch or spin differences. Slightly tweaked and better imho.

Posted:
    • M5 10.5 TI - Tensei PW 70TX
    • M5 15* TI - Tensei PW 70TX
    • Callaway 18'  UT 20* - ADDI 95X
    • Callaway 19'  Apex Pro DOT 4-PW - Tour X100
    • Callaway MD4 Raw 52 & 58 - Tour S400
    • Toulon Garage Atlanta Stroke Lab
    • 19' TP5
  • bonescubonescu  239ClubWRX Posts: 239

I played the new ball today for the second full 18. Full disclosure I have been a long time Titleist player and came in with a predetermined bias to not like the ball. 36 holes in and today was 16 of the 18 in a 2-3 club wind. Needless to say I will be ordering the 3-1 today. Won me over

Posted:
  • jbole267jbole267 Calgary 366Members Posts: 366

I gamed the new 19 TP5X this weekend for the first time and tied the course record.
    Therefore, I will be gaming these this year now lol....

Hard to tell a noticeable difference from the 17 TP5x to be honest, for me anyway.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 - Hzrdus T1100 6.5
    Srixon Z745 Project x 6.0
    Titleist Vokey Sm7 50-54-58
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 64
    Taylormade Spider X
    Taylormade TP5X
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 2919Members Posts: 2,919

Agreed, the only thing left to do to the TP5 balls is to make them in yellow.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5° driver MCA Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood MCA Diamana BF 60 S Flex

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Titleist Yellow Pro V1x

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° driver MCA Diamana DF 50 S Flex

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang

Advertisement
  • arzee2arzee2  225Members Posts: 225

I play off a 6 and have a pretty good short game. I'm not long but can get it up and down from inside 75 yards pretty well. I typically play at a 9 hole course with split tees and fast greens. This is my TP5X experiment.

I tried to like the TP5X. I bought a dozen when I ordered my spider X. Then a couple days later they started their promo so I ordered 4 dozen more for the season. Of course this was before it warmed up and I hadn't had a chance to try any from the first dozen. Liked the idea of the ball and thought I would give it a try. I have played Pro V1 or Pro V1x for as long as they have been out. It finally started to warm up and I got to play in a St Pats scramble. The ball performed fine. Good distance and decent spin on full shots. It was hard to gauge as it was the first round in a few months. I kept playing the ball and played it along side the pro v1 shot for shot for a few rounds. Everything seemed comparable to me except for shots from 60 yards and in. I couldn't seem to spin the ball the same as the pro v and it would consistently roll out 5 yards past my target. The pro v would hop and stop. The final straw for me was last weekend. I hit the ball better than I have in the last 5 years. Even with that I missed 3 greens on the front side. We have pretty small and undulating greens with false fronts and drop off on the sides. I could not get the feel for the ball. I would be long by 10 feet on one chip and short on the next. Then on a par 5 from 60 yards I hit a wedge that lands 10 yards short of the flag takes a big bounce and rolls to the back edge 25 feet past the hole. Two holes later the same thing. I switched to a pro v on the second 9. When I got to that par 5 I dropped a ball down in the same spot and hit a shot with similar flight that landed near the previous spot. It stops dead pin high. I also was able to chip the ball close when I missed the greens on the fringe.
    I'm sure most of this is just comfort with the pro v. I am not knocking the TP5X at all. It just does not fit my game. That's my 2¢

I forgot to add that I got lucky and found a college player that loves the TP5X and was happy to buy my stock at a very college friendly price. 4 dozen pro v1x on their way.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Callaway Epic Flash 15deg
    Callaway Apex 3H
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW
    Vokey SM7 54S & 58D
    Taylormade Spider X

TP5X
  • MinaretsMinarets Nashville, TN 4154Members Posts: 4,154

I’m confused. Are the ProV1 = TP5x? And ProV1x= TP5?

I swear I saw that on the Snell sight

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 2919Members Posts: 2,919

On -, @Minarets said:

I’m confused. Are the ProV1 = TP5x? And ProV1x= TP5?

I swear I saw that on the Snell sight

Yeah, that’s how the balls seem to be matching up this generation.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5° driver MCA Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood MCA Diamana BF 60 S Flex

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Titleist Yellow Pro V1x

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° driver MCA Diamana DF 50 S Flex

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang

• c50soonerc50sooner  87Members Posts: 87

Except TP5x is the high trajectory straighter flight model. I think ProV1x is still in that role for Titleist.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Aldila NK2V Green S / Callaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi R / Callaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black S / Srixon Z355 5-PW - NS Pro 950GH S / Callaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300 / Odyssey Rossie 2 / TaylorMade TP5x
  • BB28403BB28403  3949Members Posts: 3,949

On -, @arzee2 said:

I play off a 6 and have a pretty good short game. I'm not long but can get it up and down from inside 75 yards pretty well. I typically play at a 9 hole course with split tees and fast greens. This is my TP5X experiment.

I tried to like the TP5X. I bought a dozen when I ordered my spider X. Then a couple days later they started their promo so I ordered 4 dozen more for the season. Of course this was before it warmed up and I hadn't had a chance to try any from the first dozen. Liked the idea of the ball and thought I would give it a try. I have played Pro V1 or Pro V1x for as long as they have been out. It finally started to warm up and I got to play in a St Pats scramble. The ball performed fine. Good distance and decent spin on full shots. It was hard to gauge as it was the first round in a few months. I kept playing the ball and played it along side the pro v1 shot for shot for a few rounds. Everything seemed comparable to me except for shots from 60 yards and in. I couldn't seem to spin the ball the same as the pro v and it would consistently roll out 5 yards past my target. The pro v would hop and stop. The final straw for me was last weekend. I hit the ball better than I have in the last 5 years. Even with that I missed 3 greens on the front side. We have pretty small and undulating greens with false fronts and drop off on the sides. I could not get the feel for the ball. I would be long by 10 feet on one chip and short on the next. Then on a par 5 from 60 yards I hit a wedge that lands 10 yards short of the flag takes a big bounce and rolls to the back edge 25 feet past the hole. Two holes later the same thing. I switched to a pro v on the second 9. When I got to that par 5 I dropped a ball down in the same spot and hit a shot with similar flight that landed near the previous spot. It stops dead pin high. I also was able to chip the ball close when I missed the greens on the fringe.
    I'm sure most of this is just comfort with the pro v. I am not knocking the TP5X at all. It just does not fit my game. That's my 2¢

I forgot to add that I got lucky and found a college player that loves the TP5X and was happy to buy my stock at a very college friendly price. 4 dozen pro v1x on their way.

Tests like yours do not make sense. Subconsciously your whole golf game rests on the ProV1, no matter what you will never like any other ball.
    The tests are tainted before they begin.
    Your subconscious will make you hit the competitor ball worse . And playing 2 balls in general is never a “Real” environment. 1 ball, 1 round is all that matters .

To have a true test you would need a 3rd party company to send out unbranded balls, just identifying mark’s to plug into their App or website once your round is over.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • AG12AG12  1584Members Posts: 1,584

Still cant decide if it is worth it to pay an extra $10 a dozen for the '19 TP5 over the '17's that are on sale right now. Appears its an evolution not a revolution of the TP5....may have to get a boat load more '17's while they still have them locally

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS2 18* Tensei Pro White 70S
    TaylorMade P790 '19 4-PW Project X LZ 120
    PING Glide 3.0 50SS/54SS/58SS DG S200
    PING Vault 2.0 Voss
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.