2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Gardens

CHuntsman

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @GTgolf said:

> I have a customer that plays regular games there. He told me just a week ago that the place has gone to sh*t. They’re not investing any cash into the property.

That's what I was afraid of. 2 Trip Advisor reviews within the last 3 weeks gave 1 star reviews.

Review #1: "Golf course is a great layout but was in bad shape. Was held up by fivesomes and sixsomes. Even pro shop did nothing after we called from course because sixome soul not let us through. Ever since Wyatt detmer left as pro organization gone down hill. Run like a muni course."

Date of experience: April 2019

Review #2: Abandoned Golf Courses

"Just returned from a golf getaway with my local group and I must say that we really were looking forward to playing the 2 courses there , but little did we know that this whole golf facility has been let go due to lack of maintenance and care, What you will find are fairways that are not dormant but in need of a complete reseeding and overhaul. the greens show signs of neglect and some are no more than a painted piece of dead turf. Hard to imagine this property once hosted the PGA Buick tourney and once was a beautiful property that has been left to deteriorate to the state of a bad municipal course.

Take notice and be prepared"

Date of experience: March 2019

• 2 weeks later...

> @CHuntsman said:

> I am playing in a tournament for work at Callaway Gardens the first part of May. Has anyone played either course recently? I haven't been there in several years. We played Mountain View last time, I thought it was somewhat over hyped. It was in good shape, but nothing to brag about.

The mountain course was the former PGAT stop for the Buick open...like most tour courses I've played...it's a WYSIWYG off the tee. Played it most recently over the Xmas holidays and it was in good shape for the time period...greens were really fast.

So I'm going to disagree on the comments that it's going to crap...at least when we were there, I didn't see that.

> @whynotgolf said:

> > @CHuntsman said:

> > I am playing in a tournament for work at Callaway Gardens the first part of May. Has anyone played either course recently? I haven't been there in several years. We played Mountain View last time, I thought it was somewhat over hyped. It was in good shape, but nothing to brag about.

>

> The mountain course was the former PGAT stop for the Buick open...like most tour courses I've played...it's a WYSIWYG off the tee. Played it most recently over the Xmas holidays and it was in good shape for the time period...greens were really fast.

> So I'm going to disagree on the comments that it's going to ****...at least when we were there, I didn't see that.

I’m just going by what I was told by a guy who plays there weekly. It could be a few things to consider:

1. You played the course in the beginning of winter - in that area, it’s still pretty warm at that time of year.

2. January-feb saw record breaking amounts of rain in Georgia. Most courses were under water.

3. The Bermuda grass just now flipped and is recovering. So I’m sure it’s in better shape now.

4. My source said it’s a known fact that the course has been slowly declining over the past year or two. He’s played there for years. “Gone to sh*t” is all relative. I’m sure it’s not a dump, just not what it used to be.

> @GTgolf said:

> > @whynotgolf said:

> > > @CHuntsman said:

> > > I am playing in a tournament for work at Callaway Gardens the first part of May. Has anyone played either course recently? I haven't been there in several years. We played Mountain View last time, I thought it was somewhat over hyped. It was in good shape, but nothing to brag about.

> >

> > The mountain course was the former PGAT stop for the Buick open...like most tour courses I've played...it's a WYSIWYG off the tee. Played it most recently over the Xmas holidays and it was in good shape for the time period...greens were really fast.

> > So I'm going to disagree on the comments that it's going to ****...at least when we were there, I didn't see that.

>

> I’m just going by what I was told by a guy who plays there weekly. It could be a few things to consider:

>

> 1. You played the course in the beginning of winter - in that area, it’s still pretty warm at that time of year.

>

> 2. January-feb saw record breaking amounts of rain in Georgia. Most courses were under water.

>

> 3. The Bermuda grass just now flipped and is recovering. So I’m sure it’s in better shape now.

>

> 4. My source said it’s a known fact that the course has been slowly declining over the past year or two. He’s played there for years. “Gone to sh*t” is all relative. I’m sure it’s not a dump, just not what it used to be.

>

>

I'm not doubting any of your post, but only have my playing experience to go on...we all felt it was in good shape when we played it. Of course it was dormant grass, not soft, wet fairways, and the greens were really quick.

FWIW, we heard some of the same comments as yours prior to going to so we were skeptical, but generally pleased when we got there.

> @whynotgolf said:

> > @GTgolf said:

> > > @whynotgolf said:

> > > > @CHuntsman said:

> > > > I am playing in a tournament for work at Callaway Gardens the first part of May. Has anyone played either course recently? I haven't been there in several years. We played Mountain View last time, I thought it was somewhat over hyped. It was in good shape, but nothing to brag about.

> > >

> > > The mountain course was the former PGAT stop for the Buick open...like most tour courses I've played...it's a WYSIWYG off the tee. Played it most recently over the Xmas holidays and it was in good shape for the time period...greens were really fast.

> > > So I'm going to disagree on the comments that it's going to ****...at least when we were there, I didn't see that.

> >

> > I’m just going by what I was told by a guy who plays there weekly. It could be a few things to consider:

> >

> > 1. You played the course in the beginning of winter - in that area, it’s still pretty warm at that time of year.

> >

> > 2. January-feb saw record breaking amounts of rain in Georgia. Most courses were under water.

> >

> > 3. The Bermuda grass just now flipped and is recovering. So I’m sure it’s in better shape now.

> >

> > 4. My source said it’s a known fact that the course has been slowly declining over the past year or two. He’s played there for years. “Gone to sh*t” is all relative. I’m sure it’s not a dump, just not what it used to be.

> >

> >

>

> I'm not doubting any of your post, but only have my playing experience to go on...we all felt it was in good shape when we played it. Of course it was dormant grass, not soft, wet fairways, and the greens were really quick.

>

> FWIW, we heard some of the same comments as yours prior to going to so we were skeptical, but generally pleased when we got there.

Another review from 3 weeks ago.

__"Do not play this course unless it is summer or early fall. I just played in April and it is hitting off of hard dirt. It was worse than hitting off of bare mats. Paying even $20 for a round is not worth it. It is abundantly clear that they did not water the fairways for at least a few days. There is no green grass on the fairways. The greens were fast, bumpy, and dying. I did not know where the putt would bounce. It was luck to sink a putt farther than 4 ft. I asked for my money back at the starter and all I got was, "we are in transition and it will get better". This is an unacceptable answer from a course that markets the fact that it was a PGA Tour site. No wonder it is no longer on the schedule."_

_

I will find out on the 10th and check back with my thoughts and some pics as well.

> Another review from 3 weeks ago.

>

> __"Do not play this course unless it is summer or early fall. I just played in April and it is hitting off of hard dirt. It was worse than hitting off of bare mats. Paying even $20 for a round is not worth it. It is abundantly clear that they did not water the fairways for at least a few days. There is no green grass on the fairways. The greens were fast, bumpy, and dying. I did not know where the putt would bounce. It was luck to sink a putt farther than 4 ft. I asked for my money back at the starter and all I got was, "we are in transition and it will get better". This is an unacceptable answer from a course that markets the fact that it was a PGA Tour site. No wonder it is no longer on the schedule."_

> _

>

> I will find out on the 10th and check back with my thoughts and some pics as well.

Again, my experience was what it was...but 3 weeks ago vs 4+ months ago ...no brainer. I feel fortunate to play it when we did.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great time at the 17th annual Neil L. Pruitt Sr. Classic. We played extremely well and finished a legitimate -14 (No-pencil whipping). With handicaps, we finished -22. Overall, I thought the course was OK. Nothing to brag about, but nothing to lead me to leave a bad review. There were a few greens that needed work, but nothing that couldn't be saved. See below for the few pictures I took of the Mountain View course.

ruct928xo274.jpg

6b59dih59v86.jpg

c3pesuelzbhc.jpg

paq0b992kjab.jpg

s2xbcsayef31.jpg