Looking for slightly more forgiving "player irons"

Z1ggy16

PXG 0311T !!! I played Titleist CB's for years and, like you, I got to a point where i just wanted a little more help but still need the players look - even the AP2's are too big for my eye. The shape of the Gen 1 T irons is almost identical to the recent Titleist CB lines and the performance is unreal. The thing I benefit from most is that the distance on off center hits isn't punished like with other forged irons... shot shape and direction obviously aren't going to be similar to a pured shot but the ball still ends up around pin high. PXG gets a bad rap, but these irons are NO JOKE!!!

> @moadhia said:

> Jpx 919 tour fits the bill. They feel as forgiving as the mp54s with the added look and feel of a Mizuno blade

Dont want to disagree because i havent hit the 919t, but everyone is saying they are mp18bladeish. The word forgiving cant be used with those irons!

• Like 1

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Always looking for the same thing...forgiving irons for the single-digit player.

I'm partial to the Ping I series. They feel great, they're forgiving enough, but still really workable. I'm on my 3rd set of Ping I series, although I've tried TMs, Titleists, and Cobras.

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

I have a set of 900 tours and Wilson FG Tour V6's. The V6s get the edge from a forgiveness standpoint. The v4s are just as good IMO and can be found for like $250 on WRX.

G430 LST 10.5* - Tensei Pro White 60X
SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
MP18 MMC FLIHI 23* + New Level CB 623CB 5-PW- AMT TI X100
SM9 50.08, 54.10*, & SM8 58.12D*-DG S200
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

> @bradroche18 said:

> P750 and 790 made the short list but no love for the P770? That's what I play and they are very forgiving and feel really soft to me. Can sub in a couple of P790s in the longer clubs too.

Solid point. I was actually fit into 760's last year and liked them but finding used sets right now is tough. Tons of used 770 sets online.... Might actually bid on one. See them go from $300-400 with KBS Tour shafts. Not my shaft of choice but I can find used modus 120 for like $150 online, too.

Only thing is they seem a little larger in top line then my current favorite, Apex Pro. AP2 was also very very nice, but spun quite a lot. I'm fairly shallow when it comes to my irons so I don't really need tons of spin.

> @Rig14Port said:

> PXG 0311T !!! I played Titleist CB's for years and, like you, I got to a point where i just wanted a little more help but still need the players look - even the AP2's are too big for my eye. The shape of the Gen 1 T irons is almost identical to the recent Titleist CB lines and the performance is unreal. The thing I benefit from most is that the distance on off center hits isn't punished like with other forged irons... shot shape and direction obviously aren't going to be similar to a pured shot but the ball still ends up around pin high. PXG gets a bad rap, but these irons are NO JOKE!!!

The 0311T looks more like the i200 than it does the CB... 716 and earlier AP2s looked almost GI with shorter blade 718 has much better top line.

> @lordemsworth said:

> I have played the JPX 919 Tours for a couple of rounds. They are not as forgiving as the MP54. The 919 Tour are more forgiving than their predecessor, the 900 Tour, but that's as far as I would go.

How much forgiveness does a guy need?

The 900T with its offset are super easy to hit compared to my 18MB. The 919 is comical easy with its fat sole and wider blade length.

OP mentioned about 18SC, I wouldn’t bother. The MB are easier to hit.

Cobra Forged Tour irons could fit the bill for you. Still $1,000+ new from Cobra but nice used sets can be found under $500 (I found a mint 4-GW set for $359 on eBay). Feel great and look the part of a players iron, but definitely a bit more forgiveness.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

This may be too late to help op, but I had a similar hunt a couple years ago. I'd been playing the original AP2s since '09 or '10, occasionally going back to the trusty MP-32s. Decided to try and find the best forgiving players iron preconceived notions be damned, went on a search and ended up getting a fitting at club champion. Numbers came down to the Apex Pro '16 or the Z765s solely based on feel and the sense that the bigger footprint would provide a bit more confidence and forgiveness.

Fast forward two months and I couldn't find the middle of the face to save my life, and never really could from day 1 truth be told. Ended up saying screw it, and went back to the MP-32s while I looked for a decent set of JPX 900 tours just because they looked so good. Ended up buying a set having never hit them, but trusting that so many tour players without contracts couldn't be wrong. Best decision I've made as far as golf clubs go in about 8 years. Basically what I took away from that was if you don't love the look of something when you are standing over the ball, your confidence will take a hit and so will your ball striking. Long story short, pick the one that fills you with the most confidence on the golf course, even if it happens to be a "less-forgiving" option. :)

> @C-rad said:

> > @moadhia said:

> > Jpx 919 tour fits the bill. They feel as forgiving as the mp54s with the added look and feel of a Mizuno blade

>

> Dont want to disagree because i havent hit the 919t, but everyone is saying they are mp18bladeish. The word forgiving cant be used with those irons!

You obviously haven't: "everyone" isn't saying that and they are forgiving for a players iron. Not not GI forgiving, but there is help there.

I had the MP18s and currently have the 919Ts and they are definitely more forgiving. I think the S55s are more so, but the Mizzies are not ninja-like death sticks.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Chuck905 said:

> > @lordemsworth said:

> > I have played the JPX 919 Tours for a couple of rounds. They are not as forgiving as the MP54. The 919 Tour are more forgiving than their predecessor, the 900 Tour, but that's as far as I would go.

>

> How much forgiveness does a guy need?

>

> The 900T with its offset are super easy to hit compared to my 18MB. The 919 is comical easy with its fat sole and wider blade length.

>

> OP mentioned about 18SC, I wouldn’t bother. The MB are easier to hit.

>

>

Good question - how about, 'as much as they think they need'? The 900 Tour may be easier to hit than the MP18 MB, but they are not as forgiving as other clubs.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @bradroche18 said:

> > P750 and 790 made the short list but no love for the P770? That's what I play and they are very forgiving and feel really soft to me. Can sub in a couple of P790s in the longer clubs too.

>

> Solid point. I was actually fit into 760's last year and liked them but finding used sets right now is tough. Tons of used 770 sets online.... Might actually bid on one. See them go from $300-400 with KBS Tour shafts. Not my shaft of choice but I can find used modus 120 for like $150 online, too.

>

> Only thing is they seem a little larger in top line then my current favorite, Apex Pro. AP2 was also very very nice, but spun quite a lot. I'm fairly shallow when it comes to my irons so I don't really need tons of spin.

Relatively safe investment. If you don't like them you can shake them again easily for what you paid.

The shafts I have are the KBS Tour Flt which I find really good. They almost feel soft stepped in the longer irons but the short irons don't seem to balloon. I like them so much I swapped them into my milled grind 56 and my hi toe 60 as well.

Thread got way more responses than I had imagined. Guess this is a passionate subject here, rightly so.

I picked up barely used P770's for $300. I'm going to rock these for now and maybe I'll report back after a while to say how "forgiving" they feel compared to my very thin and narrow Miura's.

Absolutely, great topic Ziggy. My take is that forgiveness refers to more equalized ball speed across the face, so less distance loss on mishits. So for me, almost all MP irons are designed for distance control such that mishits usually result in distance loss. I’m not wildly consistent in my delivery of the club face, so it’s good for me to work that out with the MP-54s I’m gaming currently. (owned 15s and H5s previously).

JPX-850 Forged were probably the most consistent front-back irons for me. Nice compact-ish look, and very playable sole. Later iterations of the JPX Forged have had too wide a sole for me. Kinda wish I’d just held on to those 850s.

The other sets I have played in the last several years include:

Ping S-56: not forgiving, slick package, very durable and playable

X-Forged/Apex MB combo: XFs are as forgiving as JPX-850 Forged, a little wider sole and noticeable offset; MBs add too much sidespin for me at 7i and above (hence the combo set)

Hogan PTx/FW 15/SCOR combo: PTx are forgiving but a bit clicky, never hit a good shot with the FW15s during a round, SCOR wedges are awesome

Srixon Z745: another great feeling, quite forgiving option, equal to 850F; gaps were too wide for me at the 8i-PW, wish I’d have combined that with 945s or something

Ok, I’m done rambling about my recent history with irons now. Look forward to reading more comments.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

> @jbrunk said:

> Absolutely, great topic Ziggy. My take is that forgiveness refers to more equalized ball speed across the face, so less distance loss on mishits. So for me, almost all MP irons are designed for distance control such that mishits usually result in distance loss. I’m not wildly consistent in my delivery of the club face, so it’s good for me to work that out with the MP-54s I’m gaming currently. (owned 15s and H5s previously).

> JPX-850 Forged were probably the most consistent front-back irons for me. Nice compact-ish look, and very playable sole. Later iterations of the JPX Forged have had too wide a sole for me. Kinda wish I’d just held on to those 850s.

> The other sets I have played in the last several years include:

> Ping S-56: not forgiving, slick package, very durable and playable

> X-Forged/Apex MB combo: XFs are as forgiving as JPX-850 Forged, a little wider sole and noticeable offset; MBs add too much sidespin for me at 7i and above (hence the combo set)

> Hogan PTx/FW 15/SCOR combo: PTx are forgiving but a bit clicky, never hit a good shot with the FW15s during a round, SCOR wedges are awesome

> Srixon Z745: another great feeling, quite forgiving option, equal to 850F; gaps were too wide for me at the 8i-PW, wish I’d have combined that with 945s or something

> Ok, I’m done rambling about my recent history with irons now. Look forward to reading more comments.

Are you referring to the 2018 xforged in your comparisons?

> @" SwooshLT" said:

>

> Are you referring to the 2018 xforged in your comparisons?

Yes, X-Forged & Apex MB both 2018 models; sorry I wasn’t clear!

• Like 1

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Got my 770's Friday, took them to the range immediately. Gotta say, very impressed. Looks wise, not all that much larger than the Miura's maybe a hair thicker but I wasn't like OMG SUCH SHOVELZZZZZ UGHH. It was most noticeable in the PW and 9i.

Feel wise, even on the crap range balls the feel was great. Soft but still I could tell when I missed it. Maybe not as precise on telling the exact spot on the face like Miura but they were way more forgiving, especially on bottom strikes. I caught a couple pretty thin and the ball seemed to get up in the air enough and while it was obvious spin had tanked, I didn't lose much carry distance.

Overall for $300, this seems to have been a solid call.

Mizuno MP-15

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I just got the Titleist 718 AP3s. I have to say I have been highly impressed with them. I played my first round with them today, and all I can say is that they are effortless. They are forgiving, feel great, and look nice behind the ball without having too thick of a topline. They also seem to cut through the rough easily. All in all, so far I am highly impressed.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X