Best Public Course Atlanta-1 round

rkrech

I know a lot of people have asked about public golf in ATL. I’ve searched the forums. Bears Best seems like the most common choice. But still needing a little more guidance.

A buddy and I are going to have time for 1 round in ATL after coming back from the Masters.

We are staying in midtown. We don’t have a car but can get one if needed. Price doesn’t matter. Just looking for a great round and great conditions. I would like to keep the commute on the shorter side. Say less than a hour.

We don’t know anyone in the region. So, private options seem out unless any fellow WRX friend wants to host and let us pay our guesties.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people have asked about public golf in ATL. I’ve searched the forums. Bears Best seems like the most common choice. But still needing a little more guidance.

A buddy and I are going to have time for 1 round in ATL after coming back from the Masters.

We are staying in midtown. We don’t have a car but can get one if needed. Price doesn’t matter. Just looking for a great round and great conditions. I would like to keep the commute on the shorter side. Say less than a hour.

We don’t know anyone in the region. So, private options seem out unless any fellow WRX friend wants to host and let us pay our guesties.

Thanks for the help.

Atlanta public golf truly sucks.

Play UGA.

Public golf in Atlanta definitely sucks. That being said if you’re just trying to get a round in close by I never mind playing Wolf Creek - it’s close to the airport too.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Staying is Midtown hurts your options since you’re looking for an hour or less of a commute. With that said, I agree with the suggestions of Heritage and Wolf Creek. They are great for what they are (close, above average public tracks close to the city). If you do Heritage, make sure you tell them you want play the Legacy/Heritage combo. Don’t let them talk you into doing the Traditions 9 (they have 27 holes). That’s the 9 holes locals play when they’re itching to play 18 but don’t want to wait 3 hours to play the Heritage 9 (which is the default back 9 to the Legacy 9).

Others to consider...

River Pines

Cherokee Run

Everything else worth mentioning might be more than an hour’s drive due to traffic.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Public golf in Atlanta definitely sucks. That being said if you’re just trying to get a round in close by I never mind playing Wolf Creek - it’s close to the airport too.

Cobblestone is the only public I will play. It's a great track, but definetely an hour solid from the airport.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

What day of the week will you be staying in midtown? Weekend? Weekday? This determines drive time, and courses that are worth the drive.

If you’re wanting an experience, echelon or bears best will give you that. Logistically, wolf creek makes the most sense.

Planning on playing Saturday. Hopefully being a weekend will be better for traffic.

What day of the week will you be staying in midtown? Weekend? Weekday? This determines drive time, and courses that are worth the drive.

If you’re wanting an experience, echelon or bears best will give you that. Logistically, wolf creek makes the most sense.

Planning on playing Saturday. Hopefully being a weekend will be better for traffic.

Don’t put too much hope in better traffic on a Saturday. If the sun is out and the temperature is pleasant, then Saturday traffic is very real here. I agree with GT that you should shoot for Bears Best or Echelon for the best public experience on a Saturday. You still may be just over an hour from your hotel, but it would be worth it. Just give yourself time to get there and don’t assume there won’t be traffic.

TaylorMade Spider Black

1. Echelon - private level conditions & rated the #1 or #2 hardest courses in the state. Brutal track to keep in check for 18 holes.

2. Bears Best - jacks favorite replica holes. Not hard, but really fun to play the replica holes. Conditioning is usually really good, although it gets a ton of traffic so the greens can get chewed up a bit.

3. Legacy on Lanier - 11 or 12 holes are on the water (lake). Quirky layout that’s a sh*t load of fun to play. Point and shoot. Always in good shape.

4. Cobblestone - same as above. Few holes on the water, and a fun play/layout.

These are all within an hour of midtown, which is pretty standard Atlanta drive times. All will give you a fun experience and are quality courses. Worth the $, as the rates will be jacked up due to masters week; when everyone comes out of the woodworks thinking they’re tiger. Lol

Thank you for all the recommendations. I will do some research. Looking at Echelon, UGA, or Bears Best.

From my understanding Midtown is the best for some nightlife. Not that we are gonna year it up. But we’re 35 year old guys away from the kids. Looking for bars not clubs. Seem like a reasonable destination or?

Thanks again.

Be careful of the bars in Midtown. You may end up in one where the women are all as tall and masculine as you and your buddies. Wouldn’t want you guys accidentally flirting with “ladies” that weren’t born that way.

TaylorMade Spider Black

Be careful of the bars in Midtown. You may end up in one where the women are all as tall and masculine as you and your buddies. Wouldn’t want you guys accidentally flirting with “ladies” that weren’t born that way.

Made me laugh. We don’t know the ATL at all. So, I guess it could happen. Sounded like midtown is the best area for walking to bars. Accommodations seem cheaper downtown though. How’s the bar scene down there?

We are more bar and good grub guys than 5* restaurants. We did place walking to food and booze as a premium.

Any advice is appreciated.

Made me laugh. We don’t know the ATL at all. So, I guess it could happen. Sounded like midtown is the best area for walking to bars. Accommodations seem cheaper downtown though. How’s the bar scene down there?

We are more bar and good grub guys than 5* restaurants. We did place walking to food and booze as a premium.

Any advice is appreciated.

Stay in Buckhead or the Vinings area since it’ll be your first visit. I’d avoid downtown unless you stay right near Centennial Park (the Westin, Marriott Marquis or The W). Some good bars within walking distance of those hotels going towards the park. There’s a large homeless population down there too, so just be aware. They’re harmless, just want you to know. The Vinings area I think is much nicer and still very close to the city,

TaylorMade Spider Black

West Midtown and to the east Virginia Highlands is where you want to go.

Northside Tavern, Smiths Old Bar, Park Tavern, Ormsbys, JCT Kitchen and Bar, Darkhorse, Neighbor's, Hand In Hand, Wrecking Bar Brewpub, Ladybird Grove and Mess Hall, and if you really want an experience go late night toThe Clermont Lounge.

You'll come across all types of people:hipsters, frat monsters, rich kids, poor kids, mixologists, PBR killers, hot girls, ugly girls, bachelorettes, hippies, gays, and golfers I guess.

Just do some google research on these.

Uber runs strong around here so just take that and back from Midtown proper to these places.

These are all just great bars--not nightclubs.

Northside Tavern, Smiths Old Bar, Park Tavern, Ormsbys, JCT Kitchen and Bar, Darkhorse, Neighbor's, Hand In Hand, Wrecking Bar Brewpub, Ladybird Grove and Mess Hall, and if you really want an experience go late night toThe Clermont Lounge.

You'll come across all types of people:hipsters, frat monsters, rich kids, poor kids, mixologists, PBR killers, hot girls, ugly girls, bachelorettes, hippies, gays, and golfers I guess.

Uber runs strong around here so just take that and back from Midtown proper to these places.

This is the young professional hangout.

10 years ago, I used to frequent Darkhorse, neighbors, Smith’s old bar, etc.

Was a regular at Highland Tap and Fontaine’s. Man I miss those single, childless days.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Bars not clubs. Thank you

• 1 month later...

If you decide on Echelon, ask them about their greens before you book. I played in the GSGA Atlanta Am Match play there in October and their greens were struggling a little. Not terrible but def not the condition we were expecting. They are probably back to normal now, but just in case. I played in the GSGA Pub Links Champ in Sept at Cherokee Run and it was in pretty good shape, fast greens and rolled true. It has a lot of fun holes on it, but 1-2 quirky ones. There is one hole in particular that is a crappy design. Cobblestone, Bridgemill, Riverpines, Bradshaw Farms, are decent. Bradshaw will be packed though. Stay away from Trophy Club, it sucks and you cant play in under 5 hours. Played a tourny at Bears Best last year also and it was in pretty good shape and a pretty fun course to play. You can get golf now deals every now and then and depending on what time you book. I agree that its not worth $120 to play. IMO its worth $65. Legacy on Lanier is a really unique course for Georgia and really fun to play, usually in good shape as well. Woodmont is a pretty fun track as well and usually in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen anyone suggest it yet, but if I were you I would drive up to Barnsley Gardens in Adairsville. It's never crowded and it's as nice or nicer than any courses mentioned so far. I would 100% avoid Heritage, especially on a Saturday. Also the RTJ courses in Auburn are only an hour or so west of ATL another good option if you want something really good. One of the courses there hosted the Barbasol PGA event a couple years. 

Echelon is top shelf, as is Bears Best. I lived in Suwanee for 10 yrs...was even at the grand opening and got to meet JN himself...very nice course, but there was a time and I think it still exists they have a special twilight time for Players Club members so it gets a lot of play at this reduced rate so play can be very slow unless you play early and pay full boat. For the money I like Echelon better. The GA Club out east towards Athens is also better imo, or head on into Athens and play UGA.

I saw Achasta mentioned...limited public play, but very nice. For me, I would consider the Frog. It's out west off I20.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everyone for the recommendations. Echelon was a good time and we enjoyed it. Bars were solid even though we didn’t hit as many as we hoped. Old guys get tired.

Also, midtown was well...you guys warned me. We got hit on a lot. Just not by the gender we planned on :). Still fun.

Thanks again! If you ever need Colorado recommendations send them my way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All of the prior comments are talking about courses north of the city. Cherokee Run and Heron Bay present decent options for public Atlanta golf to someone staying near the airport.

Driver:    Taylormade SIM2, Graphite Design ADVR

Fairway: Ping G410 Rogue Silver 110

Hybrid:   Ping G410 KBS Prototype

Irons:      Srixon ZX5 MKii, Accra iCWT115

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0, 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:    Kevin Burns

Ball:        Wilson Triad