Rory blew best chance for green jacket

playa

Rory's struggles at ANGC are well documented. Despite the course being set up for a bomber who hits draws, the greens have always been too much for him to handle. But last week the course was as soft as I can ever remember it, and as we saw Saturday it could be over powered by guys taking dead aim at flags and the ball stopping where it landed. This is the perfect scenario for Rory, as all his majors have come on rain softened courses that he could attack.

If ever Rory was gonna win a green jacket, last week was it.

rory is a somewhat better version of dj, imo ... can overpower a course when the driving is on, but if it's not spot on, doesn't have much to fall back on ... may be wrong in my assessment, but he doesn't have all the gear changes that tiger has ... or spieth, for that matter ...

meh...Rory no longer moves the needle for me. And it's not because Tiger is back in the spotlight. Something between the ears in him doesn't jive with me anymore like i remember when he went on a tear in 2014. There was definite fire in his eyes back then. He even admitted that golf isn't as fun anymore, and is more of a business than a game (or some form of that idea). Sponsor obligations, press tours, merch promo appearances, yada yada yada...too much of the business i think killed his enjoyment of the game. Then you add the Master's monkey every year, and tries to down-play the importance. When the pieces don't fall his way on Masters week, he waits a whole another year for another chance...and in the meantime, the rest of the year it feels like he's just going through the motions.

> @playa said:

> Rory's struggles at ANGC are well documented. Despite the course being set up for a bomber who hits draws, the greens have always been too much for him to handle. But last week the course was as soft as I can ever remember it, and as we saw Saturday it could be over powered by guys taking dead aim at flags and the ball stopping where it landed. This is the perfect scenario for Rory, as all his majors have come on rain softened courses that he could attack.

> If ever Rory was gonna win a green jacket, last week was it.

Does he only have a few days to live?

LOL, now the Tiger excitement means taking shots at other guys because they didn't win?

You wanted Rory to win last week? I don't think so!

His best chance will be when he least expects it, I know he says the pressure doesn't get to him but I'm sure the media attention each Masters can't be a positive especially in years like this when he comes in with peak form.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Yeah he wasn't even close either. He was hot coming into the tournament though. I'm surprised he didn't do better, but it's golf.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Here’s a theory. You don’t have to be a great putter to win the Masters.

Those greens make lots of players look silly. You just have to be an OK putter. Rory can do that. His time will come at Augusta.

The player who blew it this year was Day. That was his best chance to win but on Saturday his +1 while in the overnight lead was ??

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

I was surprised that Rory wasnt in the mix. This week was more like last year, well above the cut line without really being in the mix. Has been sharper this year, expected him to be a contender. Havent seen any comments by himself about his Masters performance and since he wasnt at the top, he was not much seen on TV. Maybe just didnt get the momentum.

I know this isn't the thread to post this in, but just talking about Rory got me really thinking about the other pros who are all playing well. And then, I thought again about the tournament 2 days ago. How many other people still feel like this never happened, like we're in a suspended dream-state? Seriously, I feel like I need a huge slap on the face to wake up from whatever fantasy world has just revealed itself on Sunday.

Carry on...

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

he actually drove the ball the worse i have seen him do. Draws were pull hooks...into trees, fades were pull hooks into trees. that's what undid him

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Winning majors is difficult. Something very few players achieve - even accomplished ones. Winning majors on demand is as good as impossible - even for someone as talented as Rory. And that is effectively what he is trying to do.

It appeared the burden of trying to win at Augusta to complete the career slam was just too much. His game was ragged from day one. I feel for him. As crazy as it sounds, he would probably have a better chance of a green jacket if he hadn't already got four majors in the bag.

Twenty years ago, it seemed only a matter of time before Ernie won a green jacket. It never happened. I fear the same will be said about Rory in twenty years from now.

> @playa said:

> Rory's struggles at ANGC are well documented. Despite the course being set up for a bomber who hits draws, the greens have always been too much for him to handle. But last week the course was as soft as I can ever remember it, and as we saw Saturday it could be over powered by guys taking dead aim at flags and the ball stopping where it landed. This is the perfect scenario for Rory, as all his majors have come on rain softened courses that he could attack.

> If ever Rory was gonna win a green jacket, last week was it.

Good lord.

Rory turns 30 this summer. Yeah, he's done. No chance.

> @tiderider said:

> rory is a somewhat better version of dj, imo ... can overpower a course when the driving is on, but if it's not spot on, doesn't have much to fall back on ... may be wrong in my assessment, but he doesn't have all the gear changes that tiger has ... or spieth, for that matter ...

Rory can take over a tournament and has a gear that not many golfers have. He drives with the best of them on tour nearly every tournament he enters. But his wedge game and putting is the deciding factor. DJ can drive average but has a wedge game to consistently give him looks at birdie or par saves. Rory will fly the green with 120yd left and have to battle to save par. I'd imagine for any golfer it is easier to get into a groove putting when you are lining up 15ft birdies instead of HAVING to make a 10ft par to get into a rhythm.

I am the opposite of a pro golfer so my opinion doesn't really matter, but to my untrained eye, Rory has so many moving parts that everything has to be in time and clicking. From his take away, to transition, to his legs, to the strike. It is a thing of beauty when it is on and he is an absolute machine. But when he is a little off, I'd imagine trouble shooting is difficult. However, he is a pro and I am a schmo.

From what I saw it’s the harder recovery shots that Rory’s excellent at (i.e. behind trees on left hole 15, and hits a daring/brilliant iron through trees over water for eagle op)… but he seemed to struggle hitting the greens when his ball was only just in the 1st/2nd cut. I believe Rory actually spoke to this point and the many uncontrollable “flyers” he kept getting.

The stats bare this out too… Rory is usually the far better driver compared to Tiger, but he wasn’t this week, and this week Rory was significantly poor in his approach play GIR, so Rory’s “flyer” comments stack up.

Rory 2019 Masters:

Fairways hit: 59% (Rd1=50% Rd2=64% Rd3=36% Rd4=86%)

Greens hit: 63% (Rd1=61% Rd2=50% Rd3=61% Rd4=78%)

Tiger 2019 Masters:

Fairways hit: 63% (Rd1=64% Rd2=50% Rd3=64% Rd4=71%)

Greens hit: 81% (Rd1=61% Rd2=89% Rd3=89% Rd4=83%)

> @MountainGoat said:

> It does't look to me as though Rory has the recovery shot prowess needed to be successful at the Masters. If you followed Tiger all four days, he hit some remarkable recovery shots from all sorts of weird places. I'm not convinced that Rory has those shot.

> @RuffingIt said:

> meh...Rory no longer moves the needle for me. And it's not because Tiger is back in the spotlight. Something between the ears in him doesn't jive with me anymore like i remember when he went on a tear in 2014. There was definite fire in his eyes back then. He even admitted that golf isn't as fun anymore, and is more of a business than a game (or some form of that idea). Sponsor obligations, press tours, merch promo appearances, yada yada yada...too much of the business i think killed his enjoyment of the game. Then you add the Master's monkey every year, and tries to down-play the importance. When the pieces don't fall his way on Masters week, he waits a whole another year for another chance...and in the meantime, the rest of the year it feels like he's just going through the motions.

Everyone misses 2014 Valhalla Rory. I hope we get him back for a Sunday showdown with Tiger someday.

> @golfandfishing said:

> I think his best chance was when he stood on 10 tee with a 4 shot lead.

It was actually just a 1 stroke lead by that point, but he did lead by 4 going into the final round. Missed 3 putts around the 5-8 foot range on the front at least 5 more on the back 9. From what I remember he didn't even putt that well in the first 3 rounds of the tournament (with the possible exception of round 1), but still had that sizable lead because of his ridiculous ball striking.

I think the course on paper looks like it fits Rory but in reality, you have to place your shots in certain spots so they roll to the right place meaning you need exceptional distance control and traj/spin control ... Rory has a lot of short wedges and does not appear to have mastered the control he needs with them.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

> @RuffingIt said:

> meh...Rory no longer moves the needle for me. And it's not because Tiger is back in the spotlight. Something between the ears in him doesn't jive with me anymore like i remember when he went on a tear in 2014. There was definite fire in his eyes back then. He even admitted that golf isn't as fun anymore, and is more of a business than a game (or some form of that idea). Sponsor obligations, press tours, merch promo appearances, yada yada yada...too much of the business i think killed his enjoyment of the game. Then you add the Master's monkey every year, and tries to down-play the importance. When the pieces don't fall his way on Masters week, he waits a whole another year for another chance...and in the meantime, the rest of the year it feels like he's just going through the motions.

For me it started when he said that s*** about the Olympics.

I was quite surprised that Rory hit 3-wood off the tee on 2 both Saturday and Sunday. That's a hole that he should hit driver and then a second shot close to, or on, the green. He looked out of sorts there. It happens.

I also think that he could use a caddy who would kick him in the rear end from time to time.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

A guy who can’t consistently putt is never winning the Masters. Rory needs to change up his putting stroke or use an arm lock or something. Also, his wedge game isn’t strong at all. Two of the biggest big keys to winning at ANGC are his two weakest points.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @ldchristopher said:

> A guy who can’t consistently putt is never winning the Masters. Rory needs to change up his putting stroke or use an arm lock or something. Also, his wedge game isn’t strong at all. Two of the biggest big keys to winning at ANGC are his two weakest points.

Couples and Sergio won it and was never known as a great putters just to name two.

He’ll win it when he finally thinks he can’t ala Sergio.

> @gvogel said:

> I was quite surprised that Rory hit 3-wood off the tee on 2 both Saturday and Sunday. That's a hole that he should hit driver and then a second shot close to, or on, the green. He looked out of sorts there. It happens.

>

>** I also think that he could use a caddy who would kick him in the rear end from time to time**.

I agree, but Rory obviously doesn't. I'd think JP Fitz also agrees.