Help Me Choose: Vice Tour or Kirkland Signature (3-piece)

gatorman2k6

Hey everyone - as the season starts up, want to put an order in for golf balls and was wondering which one everyone recommends. Vice's ball selector chose the Tour for me, but I wasn't sure how it stacked up against the 3-piece KSig. For reference, I know people have been disappointed by the new KSigs, but after 2 rounds, I haven't noticed a huge difference - maybe a little loss in distance.

Just want to see what everyone thinks before I put in my order. Thanks for all the help!

Instagram: @rsolson617

Any specific reason you're limiting to these two? Never heard of the K3 being described as hard TBH but I agree with checking out the deals on 4A or 5A balls from one of the used sites. Golf Balls Direct has been the highest quality for me so far, I just ordered 4doz K-sigs and 4doz Tour B XS for ~85 shipped and will be set for a while.

No real reason for limiting to these two, other than price. Hadn't really thought about getting used golf balls since I've never done it in the past. Would you all say that a recycled golf balls are higher quality than these 3-piece ones? I'm an 11 handicap and have never placed much importance on what golf ball I use. Loved the old Kirkland 4-piece for performance AND price, so just trying to find something comparable to that (~$15-20/dozen). Open to any suggestions with that in mind.

Sure thing! As long as you don't get refinished golf balls, I wouldn't shy away from the used market. You can get late-model (ie 2017-18) tour level balls like the ProV1, Chrome Soft, TP5, Tour B, etc in 5A condition, basically mint, for ~$20-25/dozen. If you wanted to get some more of the Kirkland 4 piece, you can get 4A from GBD for like $7 per dozen: https://www.golfballsdirect.com/Kirkland_Signature_Used_Golf_Balls_AAAA_p/608-gkirk12vm.htm

I just got those delivered today and TBH they all look mostly new. Some had some marker / alignment drawn on them but pretty solid for that price.

Edit: to answer your question, the Kirkland 3-piece is a really fine ball. Urethane cover so you'll be able to get plenty of spin around the greens. The main criticism I've seemed to see is that they even spin too much (ie tend to balloon into the wind) and are not very durable at all. If those are limiting factors for you, probably worth looking at other options. If you can live with those things, their value absolutely can't be beat.

> @ZNDavis said:

> Sure thing! As long as you don't get refinished golf balls, I wouldn't shy away from the used market. You can get late-model (ie 2017-18) tour level balls like the ProV1, Chrome Soft, TP5, Tour B, etc in 5A condition, basically mint, for ~$20-25/dozen. If you wanted to get some more of the Kirkland 4 piece, you can get 4A from GBD for like $7 per dozen: https://www.golfballsdirect.com/Kirkland_Signature_Used_Golf_Balls_AAAA_p/608-gkirk12vm.htm

>

> I just got those delivered today and TBH they all look mostly new. Some had some marker / alignment drawn on them but pretty solid for that price.

>

> Edit: to answer your question, the Kirkland 3-piece is a really fine ball. Urethane cover so you'll be able to get plenty of spin around the greens. The main criticism I've seemed to see is that they even spin too much (ie tend to balloon into the wind) and are not very durable at all. If those are limiting factors for you, probably worth looking at other options. If you can live with those things, their value absolutely can't be beat.

I really appreciate the recommendations! So it's funny you mention it, but the one thing I've noticed was that my iron shots have ballooned a lot more than when I used the 4-piece Kirklands. I think I'm going to look into trying out some of the used ones you recommended. I'm assuming these would also be better than the Wilson Duo/Titleist NXT logo overruns? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sure I get the right ones.

After some searching, I'm leaning towards the TP5x "Practice" balls from RBG, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the Titleist Pro V1 "Test" balls from lostgolfballs? Which of these two will be closer to the "normal" version of the ball? Also, if there is a ball I'm overlooking, staying in that price point ($15-20/dozen), please let me know!! Thanks again for all the help!

My only concern with the Kirkland ball would be availability. Costco makes changes all the time when something hits a particular price point; they sold Kirkland gloves for a couple of year, and they were the best I'd ever seen at that time, then they were gone, never to reappear. The difficulties getting the Kirkland ball have been legendary, and I'd be worried that at some point the factory Costco is working with changes the price and that's the end of that.

I'm really anal about this stuff, and I believe that it doesn't so much matter which ball you play as much as it matters that you play the same ball all the time. I don't want balls labeled "practice", I don't want used golf balls, and I don't want to change brands. Vice makes a great ball; order the sample pack for $17 that has two of each ball they sell, and then go to it.

> @gatorman2k6 said:

> Hey everyone - as the season starts up, want to put an order in for golf balls and was wondering which one everyone recommends. Vice's ball selector chose the Tour for me, but I wasn't sure how it stacked up against the 3-piece KSig. For reference, I know people have been disappointed by the new KSigs, but after 2 rounds, I haven't noticed a huge difference - maybe a little loss in distance.

>

> Just want to see what everyone thinks before I put in my order. Thanks for all the help!

Wrong Forum. I've reported this to the powers that be.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

> @gatorman2k6 said:

> After some searching, I'm leaning towards the TP5x "Practice" balls from RBG, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the Titleist Pro V1 "Test" balls from lostgolfballs? Which of these two will be closer to the "normal" version of the ball? Also, if there is a ball I'm overlooking, staying in that price point ($15-20/dozen), please let me know!! Thanks again for all the help!

All the practice balls are brand new balls that are no different than other balls. They make huge batches with the practice stamp for high end ranges and tour events. I've been playing them for years. I'm finally almost out of all the lethal practice balls and am going to transition to tp5.

Can't comment on the pro v test as I've never looked into them or played them.

• Like 1

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

> @soregongolfer said:

> Kirkland's three piece is hard as a rock? Be honest, you've never even seen the ball let alone hit it.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @soregongolfer said:

> Kirkland's three piece is hard as a rock? Be honest, you've never even seen the ball let alone hit it.

I'd never call it hard as a rock, but I find it and the Cut Blue to be much harder than I prefer. It's more along the lines of a Z Star XV. The covers are really soft, but the overall compression is still pretty high. If you have a slower swing speed and are used to something softer, it's going to feel really hard.

> @arbeck said:

> > @soregongolfer said:

> > Kirkland's three piece is hard as a rock? Be honest, you've never even seen the ball let alone hit it.

>

> I'd never call it hard as a rock, but I find it and the Cut Blue to be much harder than I prefer. It's more along the lines of a Z Star XV. The covers are really soft, but the overall compression is still pretty high. If you have a slower swing speed and are used to something softer, it's going to feel really hard.

The K3 is a lower compression than both the Z-Star XV and the Cut Blue. To me it is similar to a Pro V1 in compression. It is definitely not a lower compression ball like AVX, Q-Star Tour, Wilson Duo Professional, etc.

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @arbeck said:

> > > @soregongolfer said:

> > > Kirkland's three piece is hard as a rock? Be honest, you've never even seen the ball let alone hit it.

> >

> > I'd never call it hard as a rock, but I find it and the Cut Blue to be much harder than I prefer. It's more along the lines of a Z Star XV. The covers are really soft, but the overall compression is still pretty high. If you have a slower swing speed and are used to something softer, it's going to feel really hard.

>

> The K3 is a lower compression than both the Z-Star XV and the Cut Blue. To me it is similar to a Pro V1 in compression. It is definitely not a lower compression ball like AVX, Q-Star Tour, Wilson Duo Professional, etc.

The K3 feels harder to me than a Pro V1 (but mainly off the putter and chipping). It's probably not as hard as the XV or the Cut, but it's closer to a Pro V1x and the other X balls.

> @arbeck said:

> > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > @arbeck said:

> > > > @soregongolfer said:

> > > > Kirkland's three piece is hard as a rock? Be honest, you've never even seen the ball let alone hit it.

> > >

> > > I'd never call it hard as a rock, but I find it and the Cut Blue to be much harder than I prefer. It's more along the lines of a Z Star XV. The covers are really soft, but the overall compression is still pretty high. If you have a slower swing speed and are used to something softer, it's going to feel really hard.

> >

> > The K3 is a lower compression than both the Z-Star XV and the Cut Blue. To me it is similar to a Pro V1 in compression. It is definitely not a lower compression ball like AVX, Q-Star Tour, Wilson Duo Professional, etc.

>

> The K3 feels harder to me than a Pro V1 (but mainly off the putter and chipping). It's probably not as hard as the XV or the Cut, but it's closer to a Pro V1x and the other X balls.

What you feel when putting and chipping is the cover/mantle layer. The hard mantle layer on the K3 is also why it spins so much on short/mid iron shots. When I evaluate a golf balls feel I use the driver which reflects the compression of the ball.

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @arbeck said:

> > > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > > @arbeck said:

> > > > > @soregongolfer said:

> > > > > Kirkland's three piece is hard as a rock? Be honest, you've never even seen the ball let alone hit it.

> > > >

> > > > I'd never call it hard as a rock, but I find it and the Cut Blue to be much harder than I prefer. It's more along the lines of a Z Star XV. The covers are really soft, but the overall compression is still pretty high. If you have a slower swing speed and are used to something softer, it's going to feel really hard.

> > >

> > > The K3 is a lower compression than both the Z-Star XV and the Cut Blue. To me it is similar to a Pro V1 in compression. It is definitely not a lower compression ball like AVX, Q-Star Tour, Wilson Duo Professional, etc.

> >

> > The K3 feels harder to me than a Pro V1 (but mainly off the putter and chipping). It's probably not as hard as the XV or the Cut, but it's closer to a Pro V1x and the other X balls.

>

> What you feel when putting and chipping is the cover/mantle layer. The hard mantle layer on the K3 is also why it spins so much on short/mid iron shots. When I evaluate a golf balls feel I use the driver which reflects the compression of the ball.

Unless the ball is super hard, they all feel about the same off the driver to me.

There is no reason to limit yourself to just one ball unless your ball striking is more consistent than the performance range of the typical tour ball, which is quite small. I've got about 20 dozen balls in the cabinet, none of which I paid more than $20/dozen for, and frankly I use them interchangeably depending on mood. My favorite is the Z Star, but I also play and like the Duo U, B330 RX, Kirkland 3 piece, and Maxfli U6 toursoft. The K3 is in the same firmness range as the others balls mentioned, other than the Duo U which is a marshmallow. I think it's slightly inferior in terms of feel but the performance is fine. At any rate, keep your eyes open and you will find lots of deals on good urethane tour balls at the $20/dozen price point.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @arbeck said:

> > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > @arbeck said:

> > > > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > > > @arbeck said:

> > > > > > @soregongolfer said:

> > > > > > Kirkland's three piece is hard as a rock? Be honest, you've never even seen the ball let alone hit it.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'd never call it hard as a rock, but I find it and the Cut Blue to be much harder than I prefer. It's more along the lines of a Z Star XV. The covers are really soft, but the overall compression is still pretty high. If you have a slower swing speed and are used to something softer, it's going to feel really hard.

> > > >

> > > > The K3 is a lower compression than both the Z-Star XV and the Cut Blue. To me it is similar to a Pro V1 in compression. It is definitely not a lower compression ball like AVX, Q-Star Tour, Wilson Duo Professional, etc.

> > >

> > > The K3 feels harder to me than a Pro V1 (but mainly off the putter and chipping). It's probably not as hard as the XV or the Cut, but it's closer to a Pro V1x and the other X balls.

> >

> > What you feel when putting and chipping is the cover/mantle layer. The hard mantle layer on the K3 is also why it spins so much on short/mid iron shots. When I evaluate a golf balls feel I use the driver which reflects the compression of the ball.

>

> Unless the ball is super hard, they all feel about the same off the driver to me.

That is a ridiculous statement.

> @arbeck said:

> > @soregongolfer said:

> > Kirkland's three piece is hard as a rock? Be honest, you've never even seen the ball let alone hit it.

>

> I'd never call it hard as a rock, but I find it and the Cut Blue to be much harder than I prefer. It's more along the lines of a Z Star XV. The covers are really soft, but the overall compression is still pretty high. If you have a slower swing speed and are used to something softer, it's going to feel really hard.

I can't agree. The XV is my primary ball and it's much harder IMHO than the K3, but I'm a WRXer with amazing clubhead speed ;)