Tips for attending first tour event

AFcelica

I bought tickets for Sunday at the PGA at bethpage and have never been to a tour event before. Obviously we wont know if tiger, rory, and DJ will be there or not on Sunday but I would like to follow them for a while if possible then find a good spot to watch the leaders come down the stretch.

Has anyone been to bethpage or other events and have any good tips to make my experience a good one?

I've never attended a tournament as big as the PGA before, but I have been to tournaments where Tiger played. Following him is almost impossible with the size of the crowds he brings. My best experience with seeing him up close was accomplished by getting a good spot right up against the ropes near a green several holes in front of him and then waiting for him to come through that hole. I was in front of the big crowd and was able to have an unobstructed view of his second shot into the green and then him playing the green. I then tried to follow him for a few holes, but getting more than a glimpse through the crowds was very difficult.

My advice from other tournaments I have been to: 1) Get there early and go to the range for a bit. Watching the way these guys practice is really eye opening. (2) Find an early group that looks somewhat interesting and follow them for a few holes until you get to a spot where you feel like you want to stay and watch several groups play. (3) Stay at that spot until Tiger's group comes through and then try to walk with them for as long as you can stand the crowd.

• Like 4

> @helper_monkey said:

> I've never attended a tournament as big as the PGA before, but I have been to tournaments where Tiger played. Following him is almost impossible with the size of the crowds he brings. My best experience with seeing him up close was accomplished by getting a good spot right up against the ropes near a green several holes in front of him and then waiting for him to come through that hole. I was in front of the big crowd and was able to have an unobstructed view of his second shot into the green and then him playing the green. I then tried to follow him for a few holes, but getting more than a glimpse through the crowds was very difficult.

> My advice from other tournaments I have been to: 1) Get there early and go to the range for a bit. Watching the way these guys practice is really eye opening. (2) Find an early group that looks somewhat interesting and follow them for a few holes until you get to a spot where you feel like you want to stay and watch several groups play. (3) Stay at that spot until Tiger's group comes through and then try to walk with them for as long as you can stand the crowd.

This is excellent advice, and is pretty much my plan when I attend these.

Usually, someone heats up in the early rounds, before the leaders tee off, so you get to see some great golf. In all honesty, following the big guys, or leaders gets tricky because EVERYONE is doing the same. I usually walk the course for a bit, picking a group to latch onto, and then camping out near the finish and just watch them come in..

I was at the Sunday round for the 2002 US Open so long time ago and I was living in Manhattan at that time. I'm not sure where you are coming from but I'd take LIRR and then take advantage of the shuttles they run to/from. This will help and if this is like back in the early 2000's, it's extremely efficient. The course is long so I would not try to see everything. Pick your spots to get the best views. I think following the Tiger crowd will be hard because the front spots are taken by the one's that chose to pick their spots and stay put. IIRC, my group did just that but still ended up on the 18th green in site of Tiger's last put so it worked out for us. Good luck!

> @howaboutme said:

> I was at the Sunday round for the 2002 US Open so long time ago and I was living in Manhattan at that time. I'm not sure where you are coming from but I'd take LIRR and then take advantage of the shuttles they run to/from. This will help and if this is like back in the early 2000's, it's extremely efficient. The course is long so I would not try to see everything. Pick your spots to get the best views. I think following the Tiger crowd will be hard because the front spots are taken by the one's that chose to pick their spots and stay put. IIRC, my group did just that but still ended up on the 18th green in site of Tiger's last put so it worked out for us. Good luck!

Will be driving up from outside philly. Do you remember any good viewing points where you can see more than one little spot at a time?

> @helper_monkey said:

> I've never attended a tournament as big as the PGA before, but I have been to tournaments where Tiger played. Following him is almost impossible with the size of the crowds he brings. My best experience with seeing him up close was accomplished by getting a good spot right up against the ropes near a green several holes in front of him and then waiting for him to come through that hole. I was in front of the big crowd and was able to have an unobstructed view of his second shot into the green and then him playing the green. I then tried to follow him for a few holes, but getting more than a glimpse through the crowds was very difficult.

> My advice from other tournaments I have been to: 1) Get there early and go to the range for a bit. Watching the way these guys practice is really eye opening. (2) Find an early group that looks somewhat interesting and follow them for a few holes until you get to a spot where you feel like you want to stay and watch several groups play. (3) Stay at that spot until Tiger's group comes through and then try to walk with them for as long as you can stand the crowd.

Good stuff, thank you!

> @shanx said:

> > @helper_monkey said:

> > I've never attended a tournament as big as the PGA before, but I have been to tournaments where Tiger played. Following him is almost impossible with the size of the crowds he brings. My best experience with seeing him up close was accomplished by getting a good spot right up against the ropes near a green several holes in front of him and then waiting for him to come through that hole. I was in front of the big crowd and was able to have an unobstructed view of his second shot into the green and then him playing the green. I then tried to follow him for a few holes, but getting more than a glimpse through the crowds was very difficult.

> > My advice from other tournaments I have been to: 1) Get there early and go to the range for a bit. Watching the way these guys practice is really eye opening. (2) Find an early group that looks somewhat interesting and follow them for a few holes until you get to a spot where you feel like you want to stay and watch several groups play. (3) Stay at that spot until Tiger's group comes through and then try to walk with them for as long as you can stand the crowd.

>

> This is excellent advice, and is pretty much my plan when I attend these.

>

> Usually, someone heats up in the early rounds, before the leaders tee off, so you get to see some great golf. In all honesty, following the big guys, or leaders gets tricky because EVERYONE is doing the same. I usually walk the course for a bit, picking a group to latch onto, and then camping out near the finish and just watch them come in..

>

>

yea that would be good advice. I've been to majors like the PGA and it's just soooo many people. Like a small city and it's nearly impossible to get a decent angle to watch Tiger if you follow him. Can possibly if you get way ahead and wait in a spot. I like smaller tournaments that he plays because you have better chance to view him hit shots.

Following Tiger or Rory will be tough. As others have said the crowds are insane. To be honest I don’t know why people even bother, no chance you’re getting that great of a view doing that. Way too much work.

Haven’t been to Bethpage so not sure of how “spectator friendly” the layout is compared to Augusta National, TPC Sawgrass, etc where the mounds and hills around greens make it much easier to see the action even if there are people in front of you.

Since so many people follow Tiger’s every shot you don’t even need to go too far ahead to see him from a good vantage point. If while he’s teeing off on 1, I’d bet you could get a very good spot behind 2 green or 3 tee. Repeat multiple times throughout the round and you can easily catch him hit a few tee shots and on the greens. Far more enjoyable.

Even at East Lake last year when Tiger won, with a much smaller field, you could see a lot of him if you just bounced a hole or two ahead.

> @AFcelica said:

> I bought tickets for Sunday at the PGA at bethpage and have never been to a tour event before. Obviously we wont know if tiger, rory, and DJ will be there or not on Sunday but I would like to follow them for a while if possible then find a good spot to watch the leaders come down the stretch.

>

> Has anyone been to bethpage or other events and have any good tips to make my experience a good one?

My #1 advice, especially if it's sunny/warm is DRINK TONS OF WATER. You have no idea how much you'll actually walk/move/sweat over the course of 8-10 hours of watching golf. Even if you park your @$$ in some bleachers for 2-3 hours, that sun will bake you. Luckily in May, the sun won't be horrible, but last year at the US Open, I got murdered by the sun and I am 50% latino.

That brings me to advice #2 and that's SUN SCREEN (and a hat). Again, you don't realize how much sun you'll actually be getting until you're already burned. Wear it.

If I can help it, I try to get the best of all worlds; I will get there as early as possible and walk the entire course with one of the first few groups, to experience each hole. . Then, when I get back to #1, I will try my best to post up either in the tee box bleachers (if they exist) or as close to the box as possible and just hang out and watch guys coming through for a while. If #1 isn't a driver hole, a lot of times I'll get up and walk to the nearest one after my favorite guys come thru. Watching the big boys pound the big stick is a lot of fun and is way better in person than anything on TV. Then from there I tend to putz around the next few closest greens to watch guys hit approaches and putt. I'll stop for food and drink between moving around holes. Having a course/grounds map is crucial.

It's a long, but fun day.

> @Ferguson said:

> Get your purchases done on arrival and check them so you don't have to carry them around.

> Eat before the noon hour to avoid the crowds.

> Make sure to yell at Phil and tell him how great he is. You'll get at thumbs up.

>

:D roflmao

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @AFcelica said:

> > I bought tickets for Sunday at the PGA at bethpage and have never been to a tour event before. Obviously we wont know if tiger, rory, and DJ will be there or not on Sunday but I would like to follow them for a while if possible then find a good spot to watch the leaders come down the stretch.

> >

> > Has anyone been to bethpage or other events and have any good tips to make my experience a good one?

>

> My #1 advice, especially if it's sunny/warm is DRINK TONS OF WATER. You have no idea how much you'll actually walk/move/sweat over the course of 8-10 hours of watching golf. Even if you park your @$$ in some bleachers for 2-3 hours, that sun will bake you. Luckily in May, the sun won't be horrible, but last year at the US Open, I got murdered by the sun and I am 50% latino.

>

> That brings me to advice #2 and that's SUN SCREEN (and a hat). Again, you don't realize how much sun you'll actually be getting until you're already burned. Wear it.

>

> If I can help it, I try to get the best of all worlds; I will get there as early as possible and walk the entire course with one of the first few groups, to experience each hole. . Then, when I get back to #1, I will try my best to post up either in the tee box bleachers (if they exist) or as close to the box as possible and just hang out and watch guys coming through for a while. If #1 isn't a driver hole, a lot of times I'll get up and walk to the nearest one after my favorite guys come thru. Watching the big boys pound the big stick is a lot of fun and is way better in person than anything on TV. Then from there I tend to putz around the next few closest greens to watch guys hit approaches and putt. I'll stop for food and drink between moving around holes. Having a course/grounds map is crucial.

>

> It's a long, but fun day.

Spot on point about seeing these guys mash drives up close. If you’ve never been to a tournament before this needs to be on your list of musts. If you can get on the ropes for a drive from one of the bombers - it is almost an out of body experience lol

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Seeing Phil swing for the fences last year was nuts. He literally holds nothing back.

>

> Other fun one was Louis. Smooooooth swing and the ball FLEW off the face and didn't seem to curve an inch. It was unreal.

Yeah seeing Louis hit driver up closer is a good one as well. Silky smooth.

I’m a huge DJ fan, so some bias in here, but when you watch the flight is his ball compared to others it’s insane. So high and so far compared to his playing partners. Bubba is cool to watch hit driver too up close considering his funky swing and obviously he can launch it with crazy spin.

Plenty of guys are cool to see. Another one who sticks out was Cantlay. Seeing a guy swing who barely seems like they put in effort then the ball goes a mile is such a pleasure to see.

Also if you can get on a hole where they might hit long irons is awesome, especially when Henrik hits a 3 or 4i off the tee. The sound his iron contact makes is like nothing else I've heard. Closest to it was probably DJ, Brooks and oddly enough Rickie.

> @Joebirds55 said:

> Following Tiger or Rory will be tough. As others have said the crowds are insane. To be honest I don’t know why people even bother, no chance you’re getting that great of a view doing that. Way too much work.

>

> Haven’t been to Bethpage so not sure of how “spectator friendly” the layout is compared to Augusta National, TPC Sawgrass, etc where the mounds and hills around greens make it much easier to see the action even if there are people in front of you.

>

> Since so many people follow Tiger’s every shot you don’t even need to go too far ahead to see him from a good vantage point. If while he’s teeing off on 1, I’d bet you could get a very good spot behind 2 green or 3 tee. Repeat multiple times throughout the round and you can easily catch him hit a few tee shots and on the greens. Far more enjoyable.

>

> Even at East Lake last year when Tiger won, with a much smaller field, you could see a lot of him if you just bounced a hole or two ahead.

Great advice, may go to the PGA, so good to know.

Oh, you can update your avatar now ; )

97a6bi6axqcs.png

• Like 1

> @AFcelica said:

> I bought tickets for Sunday at the PGA at bethpage and have never been to a tour event before. Obviously we wont know if tiger, rory, and DJ will be there or not on Sunday but I would like to follow them for a while if possible then find a good spot to watch the leaders come down the stretch.

>

> Has anyone been to bethpage or other events and have any good tips to make my experience a good one?

If you really want to follow those guys you will have better luck Thursday and Friday.

If you are trying to follow Tiger on a weekend your best bet is to stay ahead of him. When I have followed him I didn't bother watching him putt, I would go to the next tee to get a good spot.

A lot depends on the course and how it is roped off. Some courses aren't spectator friendly and if that is the case you will really struggle trying to follow Tiger.

> @AFcelica said:

> > @howaboutme said:

> > I was at the Sunday round for the 2002 US Open so long time ago and I was living in Manhattan at that time. I'm not sure where you are coming from but I'd take LIRR and then take advantage of the shuttles they run to/from. This will help and if this is like back in the early 2000's, it's extremely efficient. The course is long so I would not try to see everything. Pick your spots to get the best views. I think following the Tiger crowd will be hard because the front spots are taken by the one's that chose to pick their spots and stay put. IIRC, my group did just that but still ended up on the 18th green in site of Tiger's last put so it worked out for us. Good luck!

>

> Will be driving up from outside philly. Do you remember any good viewing points where you can see more than one little spot at a time?

Sorry, been too long to know exacts but as others have mentioned there are opportunities because of geography. We spent time on the bleachers a lot. If you pick the right time, you will have a never ending supply of talent coming through, especially on Sunday. Then make your way to nearby tees/greens to limit walking (unless you want to walk of course). I also remember enjoying hanging along the fairway at approximately where the guys drive the ball. You should get a good vantage point there.

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @Joebirds55 said:

> > Following Tiger or Rory will be tough. As others have said the crowds are insane. To be honest I don’t know why people even bother, no chance you’re getting that great of a view doing that. Way too much work.

> >

> > Haven’t been to Bethpage so not sure of how “spectator friendly” the layout is compared to Augusta National, TPC Sawgrass, etc where the mounds and hills around greens make it much easier to see the action even if there are people in front of you.

> >

> > Since so many people follow Tiger’s every shot you don’t even need to go too far ahead to see him from a good vantage point. If while he’s teeing off on 1, I’d bet you could get a very good spot behind 2 green or 3 tee. Repeat multiple times throughout the round and you can easily catch him hit a few tee shots and on the greens. Far more enjoyable.

> >

> > Even at East Lake last year when Tiger won, with a much smaller field, you could see a lot of him if you just bounced a hole or two ahead.

>

> Great advice, may go to the PGA, so good to know.

>

> Oh, you can update your avatar now ; )

>

> 97a6bi6axqcs.png

>

No joke when I logged in earlier today I thought to myself “Yes, I believe it might be time...”. Just need to find the right replacement.

Honestly, practice rounds are really the best way to watch these guys. They are much looser, interact with the gallery more. I followed Jack and Lee Trevino years ago when I went to a practice round at Baltrusol, they were yukking it up the whole day, Lee was taking bets from the gallery, Jack pulled a guy out of the crowd to try a putt that he missed to shut Lee up (the guy missed too).

Attended a couple senior majors back when Jack and Arnie were playing. The days before smart phones so may not translate well to modern times. Basically be prepared to walk a lot unless you are parking at the clubhouse. Sunscreen, hat, fluids, snacks, folding chair with a strap for carrying. Hard to see much unless you pick a (preferably shady) spot before the stars arrive and just stay put.

Get to Jones Beach early. That's the staging area for the buses. Played Bethpage today course is in amazing shape. If you can get in the bleachers on 17 you'll have an awesome view of 15 tee. 16 green and 17(par 3). The driving range is also a great area to see player's of course. The two practice putting greens are really accessible too. They said they've sold an additional 18,000 tickets since Tiger won the Master's ..it's going to be crowded LOL!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I went to the PGA up here that Vijay won. 98 I think. I always enjoy the range. It's hypnotizing watching golfers who put the ball seemingly exactly where they want to swing after swing after swing. I basically jumped around randomly. It was a bit disappointing realizing that the best place to watch a golf tournament wasn't AT the golf tournament. I'm still glad I went. Sahalee wasn't the best course for spectators.

Went to the Boeing Classic Senior event a couple of times and that was a much better viewing experience (from a pure golf watching standpoint) with the sparse crowd. Went to the Waste Management 12 years ago or so and that was excellent because we had private grandstand/box seats on 18 green. Being able to get up and walk the course and having a reserved seat back at 18 was perfect! The Hooters girls doling out Jager shots didn't hurt.

A lot of good advice so far that I wish I would have received before I went.