2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone still playing Ping Eye 2?

iomarkoi

Just gave up the eye 2s after almost 30 years with them for a set of mizuno mp 25s. Matching serial 1-SW red dot 580xxx, the illegal groove ones. I still use the SW one of the best wedges ever IMHO a sand beast. The Mizzies are about a club better down the line but not nearly as forgiving. I miss the stopping power too there wasn't a pin I wouldn't go after with the e2s one bounce then cold stop. It was just time to move on from them but they will stay in my possession despite my wife's objections. A timeless set of clubs.

I picked up a set of eye2+ orange dot zz-lite shaft yesterday. I don't get to play much anymore and have been struggling with toe hits when I do. I've also changed to a picker from a digger. 1 small bucket with the Pings and lots of nice divots with center face strikes. Even a few strikes toward the heel. Maybe my lack of play prefers the lighter swingweight.

• 1 year later...

I have a set of Ping Eye2 BECU that I bought in 1995 from a woman who had them in her attic. They are NEVER USED, never hit not even one shot mint! They are 2-SW. I have been using another Eye2 BECU SW wedge for quite a while, which I absolutely love . The thought just struck me that if I love the Sandwedge so much maybe I should start gaming the full set. However if I start playing them then they won’t be unhit, never played mint anymore. I doubt there are very many of these irons that are sold mint around Anymore and I am afraid they will lose value if used even for one round . What would you guys do ? I could always pick up a set of stainless steel Eye2s for a few hundred bucks and keep my unhit ones just that, unhit! Any thoughts?

I have a set of Ping Eye2 BECU that I bought in 1995 from a woman who had them in her attic. They are NEVER USED, never hit not even one shot mint! They are 2-SW. I have been using another Eye2 BECU SW wedge for quite a while, which I absolutely love . The thought just struck me that if I love the Sandwedge so much maybe I should start gaming the full set. However if I start playing them then they won't be unhit, never played mint anymore. I doubt there are very many of these irons that are sold mint around Anymore and I am afraid they will lose value if used even for one round . What would you guys do ? I could always pick up a set of stainless steel Eye2s for a few hundred bucks and keep my unhit ones just that, unhit! Any thoughts?

Two schools of thought on this one. Put me in line with the folks who say, "Those dogs were made to run!!!". I mean unless you see a situation, where you are really going to need the money, then sell them. But if you really want to appreciate them for what they were intended for...play em. Other than hitting a rock or something, you really can't hurt a ping club anyway. You can always sell them later still get good money for them. But if you never hit them, its a pleasure you will never know. Its like hanging on to a valuable bottle of wine so long that it turns bad and you never got to enjoy it.

Or, in the immortal words of Walter Mathau: "Listen, Lupus...you didn't come into this life just to sit around on a dugout bench did, did you?"

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Back when the BECU EYE2s were at the height of their popularity, I saw a set in a shop where a previous customer had handled them and left permanent fingerprints etched in the metal. I've never seen that happen to a steel clubhead.

Too bad that customer didn't buy those. That set had a unique degree of personalization to say the least.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

I have a set of Ping Eye2 BECU that I bought in 1995 from a woman who had them in her attic. They are NEVER USED, never hit not even one shot mint! They are 2-SW. I have been using another Eye2 BECU SW wedge for quite a while, which I absolutely love . The thought just struck me that if I love the Sandwedge so much maybe I should start gaming the full set. However if I start playing them then they won't be unhit, never played mint anymore. I doubt there are very many of these irons that are sold mint around Anymore and I am afraid they will lose value if used even for one round . What would you guys do ? I could always pick up a set of stainless steel Eye2s for a few hundred bucks and keep my unhit ones just that, unhit! Any thoughts?

I play Eye 2 Stainless.. have 2 - LW.. but if I had NEW BeCus I know what I would do with them.... check this out.....https://www.2ndswing.com/pv-697557140-mint-ping-eye-2-beryllium-copper-iron-set-1-sw-ping-zz-lite-steel-stiff-right-handed-black-dot-3775-in.aspx.... unbelievable what those things bring.....

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

I play Eye 2 Stainless.. have 2 - LW.. but if I had NEW BeCus I know what I would do with them.... check this out.....https://www.2ndswing.com/pv-697557140-mint-ping-eye-2-beryllium-copper-iron-set-1-sw-ping-zz-lite-steel-stiff-right-handed-black-dot-3775-in.aspx.... unbelievable what those things bring.....

They may have never been hit, but they are showing signs of age. That may or may not be desirable depending upon what you view as mint condition. The asking price seems more like a fishing expedition than an honest attempt at selling, but I just don't know. I would think that if they were offered on auction that the $899.99 retail price would be closer to the selling price than what is being asked.

I have a set of BeCu irons myself and they're pretty neat things to own and play, but I'm not a collector, so maintaining pristine condition is not something that really matters to me. I always figured that the point of any collection was to monetize it at some point because you just never know when things will lose their collectible value. Happens all the time as tastes change.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks for your feedback. Yea, the asking price is insane, but as I said, I have no interest in selling them but I have no interest in playing them either. Why play them and decide not to use them and lose their unhit condition. I love the fact that there are only perhaps a handful of these sets that have never even touched athe turf or a golf ball, for that fact. I will just get a display rack and place them in my home.

Thanks for your feedback. Yea, the asking price is insane, but as I said, I have no interest in selling them but I have no interest in playing them either. Why play them and decide not to use them and lose their unhit condition. I love the fact that there are only perhaps a handful of these sets that have never even touched athe turf or a golf ball, for that fact. I will just get a display rack and place them in my home.

Works for me.....

Peace

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

Lol! Thanks for the reply. I have no intention of selling them but I love the fact that they have never even struck a ball or the turf . I willed them to my friend if I happen to die . He is always so disappointed when I go on vacation and I call him and tell him I landed safely ! Lol

If you have no intention of selling them, no intention of playing them, and have willed them to a friend who obviously must covet them, then why not give them to him now and let him enjoy them? Don't get me wrong - I do understand the idea of keeping and displaying them, but if they're just sitting in the corner collecting dust why not give your buddy some huge joy and move them on?

Just my 2 cents. Personally id play them, or sell them for profit and then buy a used set to play.

• 4 weeks later...

Wonder what they would give me for my new unhit stainless 3-L blue dot matching number set that I bought when they announced they would no longer make them. Some have the stickers on the club face. Also have a mint set of 3-L orange dot BeCu Zings that are matching serial numbers and plastic on the grips don't look like they've ever been hit. Bought a lot of L and SWs about 25 yrs ago.

My dad has a 1-L set that he bought when they were new and a dozen or so of the SW and LW that he still uses. I learned on them after he’d long stopped using them and have since moved on. He hasn’t been fit in close to ten years and is ready to get into some modern clubs now that he’s playing much more often. He’s getting fit for new woods, sending the Scotty off for reconditioning and insists on bringing the eye 2s to the fitter with the intention of getting them fit up with a shaft that works for his current game. I should probably hijack them for a round while I still have the chance.

Anyone have/seen/can show a pic of Eye2 Lite irons?  They were the second edition of the Eye 2 irons (the first were V grooves and the upside down Karsten line and PAT PENDING in the cavity).  The Eye2 Lite irons were the same, but the Karsten line was right side up.  They were also V groove. 

In other news...I picked up a set of G25s a few months back.  Loved loved loved them on the range.  Went out with them in the bag and shot my highest round in many years.  Now I've got the Eye 2 and Eye 2+ irons out, and they're feeling gooooood.....

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Update on my post above.  From Ping:

The NZ+ shafts were very similar to the ZZ-65 or ZZ-lite steel shafts.  The NZ+ shafts were stiff steel flex shafts and the gram weight was about 110 grams.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

• 2 weeks later...

Well you guys got something started with me--- Everyone here knows I am a confirmed Mac and Hogan blade man

A few weeks ago I found a full set of Eye2s 3 thru PW on the pile with Apollo Multi Flex shafts. Frankly I saved them for the shafts. Now as I do with any shafts I will hit them some to evaluate how the shafts react. Sorta liked the way the clubs hit anyhow. Now I have been experimenting with an old Eye 2 wedge head I had laying around. I had installed a stock Cleveland wedge shaft in it and loved it for a Lob wedge at 52* in fact that one had been in the bag for several weeks now. I ended up after a lengthy conversation on the phone with Augie bending them up for me. They were supposedly Red dots which are 1* up on Ping specs. I bent them to Stu specs which starts with the PW at 65* and goes 1/2 * back from there. I got to messing with those clubs and someone had literally messed them up lies were all over the place. I even checked the SN# and they are a matched set. Lofts were pretty much to the same specs I set all my blades starting with a PW of 47 or 48*. The 3 iron to that set was the only iron not molested as in it had the stock shaft and grip. I do not carry it anyhow since I do carry a Karsten II 2 iron that I can flat cook. Those irons hit well yesterday especially the 6 iron. Took me 9 holes to get used to the way they hit and the distance but did manage to shoot +4 with them. Back side was another story as I shot 36 with them ( even) Part of it was I was driving the ball well and the old Adams hybrid I had slipped in the bag was working well. My putting which was always my strong point has been slacking lately. I had tried another putter I had found a while back which is an old Spalding T P Mills #3 and I got my feel back. I think for me it is the shafts in those clubs. Yep I may front line them again this week torn between them and the set of forged KZGs with Rifle 5.5s I picked up a few weeks ago and of course I have about 9 sets of Mac blades.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @rockadoo22 said:

> I have a set of Ping Eye2 BECU that I bought in 1995 from a woman who had them in her attic. They are NEVER USED, never hit not even one shot mint! They are 2-SW. I have been using another Eye2 BECU SW wedge for quite a while, which I absolutely love . The thought just struck me that if I love the Sandwedge so much maybe I should start gaming the full set. However if I start playing them then they won’t be unhit, never played mint anymore. I doubt there are very many of these irons that are sold mint around Anymore and I am afraid they will lose value if used even for one round . What would you guys do ? I could always pick up a set of stainless steel Eye2s for a few hundred bucks and keep my unhit ones just that, unhit! Any thoughts?

Play them and enjoy the experience.......or sell them to me!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• 2 weeks later...

I now play Ping G25 irons. They are great, but I bought them cheap and because they had graphite shafts (bad wrists). I would love to play the Eye 2 or + irons if I can find them with graphite. Not even sure if that is possible. Let me know if you see a set or have some advice. Thanks!

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

> @"Tim Schoch" said:

> I now play Ping G25 irons. They are great, but I bought them cheap and because they had graphite shafts (bad wrists). I would love to play the Eye 2 or + irons if I can find them with graphite. Not even sure if that is possible. Let me know if you see a set or have some advice. Thanks!

I had eye2s in regular graphite shafts. You can't put them in from steel as mine were created by ping in Gainsborough in the early 90s....wish I'd kept them. But they are around on ebay from time to time

• Like 1

Just bought a couple Eye2's yesterday. A driver and 3 wood. Intend to play them at some point.

:)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 3 weeks later...

Tim Scooch,

I just pulled the ZZ Lites out of my green dot SS Eye 2 set and put a set of PING TFC 169 graphite pulls in them. They play and feel great and ease the pain on my old wrists and elbows. I have installed graphites in MANY sets of Eye 2 irons. I usually hand-taper .370 shafts and install.

8vgtzff5y14h.jpg

ws5ai3kjmsdn.jpg

rxnkef99ntkv.jpg

• Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• 2 weeks later...

> @gsea33 said:

> Been going totally Ping. Thats a Ping My Day putter. Just need a staff bag, need to find one cheap lol

> ahv74gzv2njy.jpg

> magcvnr3pjla.jpg

> aszzi8c07vnb.jpg

>

You have the staff bag!

• Like 1

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

Such as it seems to me, it might be a resale issue. If I had a set that didn't have matching serials, it wouldn't bother me, so long as they were all matching Eye2 variants.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors