2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

11 yo Cobra Forged Irons Build

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1564614-11-yo-junior-forged-irons-project/

Posting this here as there seems to be a lot of talk about adult clubs for juniors here. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll update our experience with this little home project.

Specs:

AMP Forged 5-GW set. Built to USK 60" TS3 specs

5i- 26* 36"

6i- 29* 35.5"

7i- 33* 35"

8i- 37* 34.5"

9i- 41* 34"

PW- 45* 33.5"

GW- 50* 33.25"

Matrix 58+ graphite shafts, senior flex, tipped to factory instructions and butt trimmed to length.

Stock Cobra grips, with 2 wraps of painters tape in left hand, 4 wraps in lower hand.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Cobra cut those clubs down for your when you bought them or did you have that done? The reason I ask is Cobra always says the most they will cut clubs down is 2 inches. If you make them to US Kids specs, they will have to be cut down more than 2 inches.

OP built them himself. If you're worried about it being unbalanced you can always add a counterbalance grip like SwitchGrips and bring the SW back to where it needs to be.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I was just curious who cut the shafts down. I have spoken with Cobra before and they have always told me the most they would cut them down was 2 inches. I've seen several posters say that their kids have adult irons so I was curious who was cutting them down to the proper lengths.

In the other GolfWRX thread the OP linked, it looks like he got the Matix 58+ MFS shafts at golfdealsandsteals.com and then built them himself to the USKG TS 60 specs (on length). I'm interested to see how it works out as I will be doing something similar in a few years.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I was just curious who cut the shafts down. I have spoken with Cobra before and they have always told me the most they would cut them down was 2 inches. I've seen several posters say that their kids have adult irons so I was curious who was cutting them down to the proper lengths.

by the sounds of the it OP they did all the work. Got shafts, got the heads and grips and built them. Looks great if you ask me, although wrong flavor of orange if you ask me. Most OEM won't go more than 2", I know ping has told me they will go as far as 5".

AMP Forged came with KBS Tour S+ shafts from Cobra. Pulled the shafts on my bench and built these up myself. .370 tips sanded slightly to fit the .355 hosel, no tip weight. I believe they ended up being 3” shorter than stock.

Cobra does have some nice fuel jr graphite shafts, as well as the new KBS jr steel line. I bet Cobra will build whatever you want if you give them the length and SW specs you are looking for.

Ping will do a lot of custom work for Jr clubs with SW and length.

I do a lot of work on my own with building houses, rebuilding old cars, and reloading ammo. I have to say. Working on golf clubs is one of the easiest things I have done with my hands to date. Not sure why the shops get so much money for their work to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

Son got to play them today for the first time. He was hitting flush strikes like crazy and the minute I heard the strikes I knew he would have a smile on his face. He said about 4-5 times he is never playing non-forged clubs ever again. The difference of switching to graphite and forged made them so smooth he said. Looks like we have a winner. Now I have to get his F6 hybrid worked up and he is getting an LTD 5 wood to put on his old 39" driver shaft for his birthday in a few weeks. Not sure where the heavenwood will fall now. It may compete against the hybrid.

My brother is going to get my nephew the new King Forged Tec Black irons and have the Recoil shafts (A flex) put in them. He could have gone with the KBS junior shafts but he was worried about the weight being too much for my nephew. I spoke with Cobra and the rep that I talked to this time told me that they could could the clubs down to whatever specs we wanted.

My brother is going to get my nephew the new King Forged Tec Black irons and have the Recoil shafts (A flex) put in them. He could have gone with the KBS junior shafts but he was worried about the weight being too much for my nephew. I spoke with Cobra and the rep that I talked to this time told me that they could could the clubs down to whatever specs we wanted.

Man, what an awesome set for a Jr. I offered my son my old Forged TECs and he liked the fully forged AMP better. Personally I am glad he went with the more traditional loft set of AMPs as Jrs swings are slower and have less spin. I think they need more left for ball control on the green over distance that the FTec will give.

I just ordered my nephew a set of the new King Forged Tec Black irons with the recoil graphite shafts ( senior flex). Cobra is going to cut them down to the specs that I needed. I used the US kids fitting chart as a guide in picking the lengths that he needed. The Cobra rep did mention that I needed to get my nephew on a lie board once I got the new clubs. Cobra irons tend to be more upright than US Kids clubs so I may have to get them bent a little to flatten them out.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update on the set after playing the first part of the season as well as how we finished off the bag with other clubs. My son absolutely loves these irons and he is playing a lot more golf. Not sure if it’s the new clubs, or if he is just getting more interested in the game. The specs worked out perfect for him. The lighter shafts seem to be helping with contact, and the flight is not too high. He is stopping the ball much better now, but I think it is all do to better face contact, which results in more energy transfer and spin.

We adjusted his driver down to 10.5* with the 41” Cobra shaft and added a Cobra LTD Black 4W to the bag with his old 39” Cobra shaft. Replaced his GBB Heavenwood and Flynn shaft with a ladies Epic Heavenwood and Diamana shaft cut down 2”. Built a hybrid shaft from the Matrix shaft set for a 22* 4H using a Cobra F6 head. And rounded out the set with a custom Cleveland CBX 56* wedge. He still uses his TM Daytona putter that he won at age 8 and still plays it at that same length. He won’t let me touch the putter.

• 1 month later...

Another update after several rounds with the new clubs. We dropped the 5i again, as my son typically will go straight to his 4H and just hit it softer. He has gotten so attached to it that it is his go to club for a lot of shots. Also the Epic HW doesn't seem to be working out with the longer shaft. The 5W is great, and he can get some nice running shots with it, but the Epic has sat out for most rounds. I am thinking about building him two more hybrids with the same shafts for a 19*, 22*, and 25* 3h-5h. Get the gaps sorted and let him roll. Really didn't think he would grow so attached to the hybrids, but if it gives him confidence and keeps it fun, why not. I have a Cobra F7 and Fly Z that I will let him test first to see if he likes those over the F6, but if not will just order him two more F6s. Consistency is probably best, but I would like to see him give the F7 with rails a chance on the 19* 3H for those long fairway bunkers, and nasty recovery shots from bad lies. So we'll see.

Also, the CBX 56* jr wedge is money from the bunker. His wedge play around the green is much more consistent. Not seeing any skull or duffed wedges anymore. Highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Time for an update. My son grew 3” since these were built. He has gone/is going through puberty and his swing is so much faster/stronger. We have a couple of options. I have 2 extra shafts and can get him another 1” of length out of these and he would be fine through the fall, or we could get a new set and sell these. He was fit for a set of G400 Ping with ladies shafts and he loved them so much more. His flight was high, long, and a nice straight baby cut. He really wants the Pings and he said every shot felt like a flush. Which kind of worries me beacause with the AMPs he knew when he missed center. Any thoughts?

> @Belmont148 said:

> Time for an update. My son grew 3” since these were built. He has gone/is going through puberty and his swing is so much faster/stronger. We have a couple of options. I have 2 extra shafts and can get him another 1” of length out of these and he would be fine through the fall, or we could get a new set and sell these. He was fit for a set of G400 Ping with ladies shafts and he loved them so much more. His flight was high, long, and a nice straight baby cut. He really wants the Pings and he said every shot felt like a flush. Which kind of worries me beacause with the AMPs he knew when he missed center. Any thoughts?

Hey Belmont,

First off, great thread. I am looking ahead about 6 months since I do not dare do any equipment changes at this time but I have a few questions since I am looking at a very similar build (you can get those AMP Forged for a song used and they are such a great iron).

1) How tall was your son when you made the switch over?

2) What was his driver swing speed?

My son is already about 57" so we are thinking he will be close to 60" around this winter when he turns 10 and I am really thinking it might be better to go ahead and do a set like this as opposed to doing another US Kids TS set.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @Belmont148 said:

> > Time for an update. My son grew 3” since these were built. He has gone/is going through puberty and his swing is so much faster/stronger. We have a couple of options. I have 2 extra shafts and can get him another 1” of length out of these and he would be fine through the fall, or we could get a new set and sell these. He was fit for a set of G400 Ping with ladies shafts and he loved them so much more. His flight was high, long, and a nice straight baby cut. He really wants the Pings and he said every shot felt like a flush. Which kind of worries me beacause with the AMPs he knew when he missed center. Any thoughts?

>

> Hey Belmont,

>

> First off, great thread. I am looking ahead about 6 months since I do not dare do any equipment changes at this time but I have a few questions since I am looking at a very similar build (you can get those AMP Forged for a song used and they are such a great iron).

> 1) How tall was your son when you made the switch over?

> 2) What was his driver swing speed?

> My son is already about 57" so we are thinking he will be close to 60" around this winter when he turns 10 and I am really thinking it might be better to go ahead and do a set like this as opposed to doing another US Kids TS set.

My daughter is 11 and it was time to get her a new set of clubs. I opted to go with a ladies set of clubs and cut them down rather than go with a new junior set. I got her the Cobra F9 irons with recoil graphite shafts (ladies flex). It took her a few weeks to get used to the clubs last summer but she has done great with them. The key to the whole thing is making sure the weight of the club isn't too much for your kid to handle. My nephew was 12 and in the same situation. He is a smaller framed kid and my brother opted to go with the Cobra Forged Tec Black irons with recoil shafts. He loves the look and feel of the irons and has no issue with them. One thing that the Cobra rep did tell me is that the Forged clubs will be lighter than the cast clubs. They are less forgiving but they are lighter which is definitely something to consider.

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @Belmont148 said:

> > > Time for an update. My son grew 3” since these were built. He has gone/is going through puberty and his swing is so much faster/stronger. We have a couple of options. I have 2 extra shafts and can get him another 1” of length out of these and he would be fine through the fall, or we could get a new set and sell these. He was fit for a set of G400 Ping with ladies shafts and he loved them so much more. His flight was high, long, and a nice straight baby cut. He really wants the Pings and he said every shot felt like a flush. Which kind of worries me beacause with the AMPs he knew when he missed center. Any thoughts?

> >

> > Hey Belmont,

> >

> > First off, great thread. I am looking ahead about 6 months since I do not dare do any equipment changes at this time but I have a few questions since I am looking at a very similar build (you can get those AMP Forged for a song used and they are such a great iron).

> > 1) How tall was your son when you made the switch over?

> > 2) What was his driver swing speed?

> > My son is already about 57" so we are thinking he will be close to 60" around this winter when he turns 10 and I am really thinking it might be better to go ahead and do a set like this as opposed to doing another US Kids TS set.

>

> My daughter is 11 and it was time to get her a new set of clubs. I opted to go with a ladies set of clubs and cut them down rather than go with a new junior set. I got her the Cobra F9 irons with recoil graphite shafts (ladies flex). It took her a few weeks to get used to the clubs last summer but she has done great with them. The key to the whole thing is making sure the weight of the club isn't too much for your kid to handle. My nephew was 12 and in the same situation. He is a smaller framed kid and my brother opted to go with the Cobra Forged Tec Black irons with recoil shafts. He loves the look and feel of the irons and has no issue with them. One thing that the Cobra rep did tell me is that the Forged clubs will be lighter than the cast clubs. They are less forgiving but they are lighter which is definitely something to consider.

Sounds about right. My son is 9 but very tall for his age and his driver swing speed is consistently in the 63-68 range so I feel by winter, when we would want to do an equipment change he will be hitting 5 feet tall and definitely have the swing speed to handle some forged heads coupled to lighter shafts.

We got to hit the Pings on a monitor now after the driving range fitting. Old 7i went from 90yds to 100+ carry. Ping carried 125 steady and much more consistent. Pings are about 1.5” longer and stronger lofted so expected 1 club gain based on loft alone. We could make the Cobras works with some shaft changes, but I think he really wants so easier to hit clubs.

> @Belmont148 said:

> We got to hit the Pings on a monitor now after the driving range fitting. Old 7i went from 90yds to 100+ carry. Ping carried 125 steady and much more consistent. Pings are about 1.5” longer and stronger lofted so expected 1 club gain based on loft alone. We could make the Cobras works with some shaft changes, but I think he really wants so easier to hit clubs.

What pings?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great looking set of junior clubs! Hitting something that cool keeps them excited and wanting to play!

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x Odyssey O-Works #2