So what’s your most deflated hole in one

Tommix

Around ten years ago ,in my md sixties , I was having a quiet 18 holes by myself at my home club when at the par three of 118 yds to centre near the club house I pulled out my Hogan Apex edge pro ( or was it my mp60 can’t remember) 9 iron and hit a high ball straight at the flag. Can’t see the bottom of flag from the tee so was not happy to not see the ball on the green until I looked in the hole. OMG my first ( and only HIO). I was quite excited and as no body was around to share my good fortune I wandered over to the pro shop and told the old pro whom I knew . He congratulated me and said words to effect “ hang on a minute and I’ll come with you “

I thought wow do I get my name on a board or prize? Perhaps mention in the monthly newsletter.

He came outside with me and said

“Now do it again so I can ratify it “

I found a Nike one platinum on the course once. Some one had marked it up with crude drawings, one particularly of a phallic symbol. Well it just so happens some time later that became the last ball in my bag during a casual round. I guess it got buried in the bag and never made the proper transition to the shag bag. Instead of asking my buddies for another ball, I pulled it out and we had a good laugh. The very next whole I made a hole in one with it. So now I have one of my hole in one golf balls with a giant, erect Richard and balls drawn on the cover. It’s bad enough that the ball was a Nike. That’s the only hole in one I wish I hadn’t made.

• Like 3

Several years ago I was playing a round with one of my buddies and his son. His son did not play golf very often and you could tell. We were on the 3rd tee box, par 3 205 yds and I pulled my 4 iron out. It's a hole with an elevated tee so I could see the entire green surface. I hit my shot and could see it was on a good line. It hit the front of the green, released, and rolled about 15 feet on a break and fell in the cup. Here's the funky part. When we got to the green in our carts, before I knew what was happening my buddies son ran up to the hole, plucked the ball out and tossed it to me. I didn't say anything but was freaked out that this kids inexperience robbed me of the pleasure of removing my hole-in-one ball from the cup. I will be much more alert in the event I get another one.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

> @Tommix said:

> Around ten years ago ,in my md sixties , I was having a quiet 18 holes by myself at my home club when at the par three of 118 yds to centre near the club house I pulled out my Hogan Apex edge pro ( or was it my mp60 can’t remember) 9 iron and hit a high ball straight at the flag. Can’t see the bottom of flag from the tee so was not happy to not see the ball on the green until I looked in the hole. OMG my first ( and only HIO). I was quite excited and as no body was around to share my good fortune I wandered over to the pro shop and told the old pro whom I knew . He congratulated me and said words to effect “ hang on a minute and I’ll come with you “

> I thought wow do I get my name on a board or prize? Perhaps mention in the monthly newsletter.

> He came outside with me and said

> “Now do it again so I can ratify it “

>

Your pro is a jackwagon ... Every time I saw him, I'd reach into my pocket and say "let me get you a little something for all your hard work" and flip him a nickel ... And then tell him to get the dirt out of my spike and make sure the shirts were aligned on the racks right.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Not my hole in one but I was a witness.

About 10 years ago I'm playing on a Saturday with my brother in law while visiting Southern California. We got matched up with two singles (I'll call them Player A and Player B ) who did not know each other. Player A was not local--he had driven about an hour to get to this particular course and had never played there before. And based on what transpired he probably never played there again.

The round was brutally long--it lasted at least 5.5 hours and we were waiting on every tee. On about the 15th or 16th hole (don't remember which), we were playing a par 3 of about 140 yards. Player A hits his tee shot and it hits the green and then disappears because you couldn't see the entire green from the tee box and you could not see the hole. After we all hit our tee shots we pull up to the green and Player A is looking for his ball and is getting pissed because he can't find it. And based on trajectory it should be on the green. Then Player B looks in the hole and asks Player A if he is playing a (fill in the blank ball brand--I don't remember). Player A says yes and we all congratulate him for getting a hole in one.

I laugh and say, "Well looks like we'll be getting a free drink on you." Player A gets a quizzical look on his face and says that we should be buying him a drink. I tell him, no the tradition is that you buy the drinks. Player A starts getting agitated and insisted we buy him a drink. At this point I'm just like, hey buddy, you don't need to buy me a drink, no big deal, I'm just telling you what the tradition is. Then Player B starts getting ticked off and says Player A better be buying him a drink and its going to be top shelf liquor. The two got in a face off and start yelling expletives at each other and I'm thinking "good grief, get me out of here." I interceded and got the two separated. I had Player A put his bag on my cart and my brother in law put his bag on Player B's cart just to keep them apart.

We played out the last couple of holes with barely a word being said. After 18, when I pulled up to the club house Player A jumped off the cart, grabbed his bag and started running for the parking lot. Player B sees this and once again starts yelling expletives at Player A. I am, once again, thinking "what the (bleep) is wrong with people from around here?" Player A gets to his car, throws his clubs in the back and peels rubber up toward the club house. Player B was near the club house at this point and Player A pulled up, put his window down, and threw a half empy bottle of Gatorade out (it was the orange flavor--some things you don't forget) and shouts, "There's your free drink." Then he burned rubber out of the parking lot never to be seen again.

All the while I'm thinking "I'm glad I don't live here."

Side note - these guys otherwise seemed pretty normal. Late 20's or early 30's. Decently dressed with decent clubs. Gainfully employed. They definitely did not seem like the type to act like this.

Second side note - This is the only hole in one I've ever witnessed.

• Like 2

> @Mathwiz said:

> Several years ago I was playing a round with one of my buddies and his son. His son did not play golf very often and you could tell. We were on the 3rd tee box, par 3 205 yds and I pulled my 4 iron out. It's a hole with an elevated tee so I could see the entire green surface. I hit my shot and could see it was on a good line. It hit the front of the green, released, and rolled about 15 feet on a break and fell in the cup. Here's the funky part. When we got to the green in our carts, before I knew what was happening my buddies son ran up to the hole, plucked the ball out and tossed it to me. I didn't say anything but was freaked out that this kids inexperience robbed me of the pleasure of removing my hole-in-one ball from the cup. I will be much more alert in the event I get another one.

My brother did the same thing following my first hole in one and he’s an experienced player. I was just as stunned by that as I was by the ball going in.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Like OP short hole, wedge, and could not see bottom third of flag. Was great to get one, my only one, but deflating not to see it go in.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

This wasn't mine bud a great buds. Playing a short par 3 and he blades a wedge. It didn't get more than a couple of inches off the ground. As he turned his head in disgust and muttered something that you shouldn't repeat, the ball struck the perfect center of the flagstick and dropped in the hole for his only ace.

Over our years of playing together, I saw him skip a ball 5 times off the water on another thin tee shot, hit the bank of the lake, pop up and roll to within a couple of inches for a tap in birdie.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> This wasn't mine bud a great buds. Playing a short par 3 and he blades a wedge. It didn't get more than a couple of inches off the ground. As he turned his head in disgust and muttered something that you shouldn't repeat, the ball struck the perfect center of the flagstick and dropped in the hole for his only ace.

>

> Over our years of playing together, I saw him skip a ball 5 times off the water on another thin tee shot, hit the bank of the lake, pop up and roll to within a couple of inches for a tap in birdie.

Lol, same deal here. A buddy of my dad's did that. Hit it right in the forehead, threw his club and walked back to the cart. Bounced about 6 times, then the 7th hit the pin about a foot above the cup and dropped. He swears that he saw it go in but he most definitely had no idea. If it is at least on line, don't give up on it.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Only hole in one I ever had was at an executive course for a company I worked for. Holed it out on the first par 3 ,threw my arms up in the air and started looking around... no one. They have a plaque on that tee box with the names of everyone who has had a hole in one on that hole, but I wouldn't have felt right about my name being there without a witness so I never told them. I left the company since then so now I'll never get my name up there.

I've seen about a dozen

Two of them were rancid skulls that managed to go in

Funnily, both my ace and my albatross shots were uphillers and I never saw the ball go in

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

My first hole in one was at Pacific Dunes in Bandon in 2004. 14th hole playing about 125 into a huge gale of a wind, probably about 30 mph. I hit a little punch 5 iron that lands on the front of the green and rolls into the hole. (side note it was my first shot with that 5 iron which was the first ever set of Scratch irons)

The next day in the paper it says:

Ari Techner hole in one 14th hole Pacific Dunes 125 yards with a 5 iron. It was HER first hole in one. LOL. I still have a big stack of those newspapers.

• Like 1

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

My one and only "ace"....

Executive course and the first hole was a temp green. Had been for quite some time and since my wife and I were members of this executive course with a nice range, I was a little frustrated to see that it was still a temp green. (Had been all summer)

So it's playing like only 50 yards or so. I drop my ball on the ground and, with no practice swing or even lining up, I take my lob wedge and just pop the ball figuring I will just get past this hole and enjoy the others.

Ball takes one hop and flops right into the hole.

I wasn't even going to consider this an ace but I asked here some years back and the other members basically said it was.

I have had a lot of near misses but that's the only one. Not exactly bragging rights.....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Same thing happened to me but it was actually a caddy that did it! I was playing Coeur d’Alene resort with my dad when I was 14...hit it in the hole on #3 and the caddy took it out of the cup and gave it to me! Haha I didn’t care really care because I was so excited and I’ve had two since and I realized the thrill of getting it out of the cup!! I definitely thought my dad was going to punch the caddy out haha my dad was definitely super pissed at him. At the end of the round we get back to the clubhouse and they had a red carpet rolled out for me, a cake, and already had a trophy engraved with my name and hole details...definitely top notch. I’ll never forget my dad saying “wtf are you doing?” To the caddy and the caddy saying “sorry but I’ve never seen a hole in one before” my dad: “well do you think we’ve seen one either you dumb f***” Hahahaha. It was all good a few holes later but a funny story.

> @Mathwiz said:

> Several years ago I was playing a round with one of my buddies and his son. His son did not play golf very often and you could tell. We were on the 3rd tee box, par 3 205 yds and I pulled my 4 iron out. It's a hole with an elevated tee so I could see the entire green surface. I hit my shot and could see it was on a good line. It hit the front of the green, released, and rolled about 15 feet on a break and fell in the cup. Here's the funky part. When we got to the green in our carts, before I knew what was happening my buddies son ran up to the hole, plucked the ball out and tossed it to me. I didn't say anything but was freaked out that this kids inexperience robbed me of the pleasure of removing my hole-in-one ball from the cup. I will be much more alert in the event I get another one.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

As a single digit who plays a lot of golf without an ace I'm offended you guys are on here calling any of them deflating ?

One time I almost made a hole in 3 with a crowd. I thinned a 9 iron from 135 into a pond short. Another group then pulls up to the adjacent green. I took one in that sides sound to hole and lips out. They applauded.

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R*

Epic Speed 16.5 4w 21 7w IM10 60 5.5*

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5*

Stealth DHY 17 20 23 AV Raw Blue 70R*

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R*

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon  Star XV

I have never had a HIO and have related this story on here before about a friends dad. We were playing one Saturday and my bud brings his dad, Richard, who is a former member at the course. He was 76 years old at the time, walks 18 at least 3 days a week and consistently shoots below his age. He also happens to be a really calm individual that doesn't get excited over much. Number 11 is something like 135 from the senior tees. Richard hits his tee shot and immediately starts walking towards the cart and isn't even looking at the green. The rest of us watched it 2 hop right into the hole and we went crazy, while he never saw it! Richard never even smiled (I think it was his 6th) ! I asked him was he going to tell the pro when we got through and he said "Heck no! All my old buddies here will come out the woodwork to get a free drink!"

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Playing in a scramble and it is a par three with water around three sides of the green. We all hit our tee shots and dunked them in the water. We flipped a coin and I was picked to hit our third shot to the green because there was no drop zone by the green as you can probably guess I hit the shot and put it in for a three. Closest to a hole in one I ever came.

The first one I ever witnessed was in 1976, at Ohio State, on the Gray Course. IT was autumn with leaves all over the ground and a low glaring sun. I couldn't see well. It was a short par 3, elevated tee, maybe #17.. My buddy cold topped it. All we could see were leaves moving as it skittered towards the green, then appeared on the green. It got closer and closer to the pin, hit it and disappeared. The light was so bad we weren't sure until we got up there. Sure enough, it was in the cup. I don't think the ball travelled 20 feet in the air.

I know a young lady, former NY State Womens Amateur Champ, who was teaching golf to kids at summer camp. She had a few kids in tow, they sprayed a few, then she demonstrated a shot and knocked in the hole. She was dancing around and when she looked down, all of her playing companions were totally unimpressed.

Me personally? I've had 6. They were all magnificent and, like my children, I love them all the same.

My mom had 5, including one, her last, which she had 2 months after she had to have her heart jump started with the defribbilator in the ER. I'm not making that up.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just played a little 4 hole practice course with a SW and a LW. Two holes were too long to hit off the tee (135 yards and 200 yards) with my sand wedge. One hole was about 90 yards and the other was probably 110.

Hitting 4 balls per hole I start playing. I stick a few inside two feet. I hit the flagstick on the 110 yarder on my 2nd time thru the 4 holes. On the 4th go around I hit four good shots on the 110 yarder and guy playing ahead of me gives me a wave after the 4th shot (half the green is blocked and hidden from the tee box.). I get to the green and there is a ball in the hole. Pretty cool. I had a witness even though I didn’t see the ball drop.

I go around one more time and on the 90 yard hole I “aced” another one. This time with no witness but I saw it go in unlike the previous “HIO.”

I know these aren’t real holes in one, but it was pretty neat doing it twice in about 20 minutes.

Also, I loved the little 4 hole practice course. I wish I had a 9 iron and a 6 iron so I could shoot at the other two holes.

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

I don't have an Ace so yeah.... BUT... I've witnessed 3 hole outs from the Tee box on a Par 3.

Of those 3... Only one was a legit Ace during a round. My dad and I were playing in a gale force wind about 10 years ago. 6 iron starts about 50 yards left of the green and cuts back to the center of the green and rolls in. I've played as many rounds so far this year as he has in the last 10 years.... Dad still has bragging rights.

One was after a round and me and my golf buddies were getting a few extra holes of practice in. One buddy put a ball in the water and threw down another one--back door hole out.

The third was just the other day... Playing a muni par 3 course... Buddy pull chunks his tee shot. Plops down another. It lands left of the green, catches a slope and rolls in.

July 26, 1997 I am playing in a charity event for a local food kitchen. It’s a shotgun start and our group starts on the 17th hole. Its been a long day and we’ve made our way around to the 14th hole which is a 154 yard par 3. This hole has a 50/50, all cash, nearest to the pin at $10 per player. One of the girls at the table knows me and tells me to save my $10 because some guy has hit it to 7-inches. I figured it’s for charity so I grab my wallet from my golf bag only to discover, $10 is all I have. No one in my group lays down the $10 and I followed suit. You guessed it. I hit an 8-iron that takes one hop and into the jar! At the post round dinner, they announce the winner of the 50/50 wins $420 for his beautiful shot that won because some cheapskate aced the hole, but didn’t contribute to the cause. Ouch! I stood up and proclaimed, “I’m the cheapskate”. A local florist, playing in the event, handed me a $50 certificate to his floral shop and said, buy your wife some flowers before she finds out you blew $420.

• Like 1

I've made 1 hole in 1..... it was the worst or best

Skulled tee shot runs along ground hits bunker lip goes perpendicular hits flag at full speed and somehow goes in...cherry on top it was dark so couldn't see it go in.... worst in my opinion lol! Hole in 1 is about hitting perfect shot which I have not done yet...lame

Can't figure how to like my own posts

My first one. Played golf for 15 years and had 100 near misses by that point. Playing nine holes with my girlfriend and her parents and hit a flush 8 iron and my first thought is...You gotta be kidding me!! I knew it was in and it took one hop and disappeared. They didn’t even notice. Of all the tournaments and golf I’d played with good players I make my first in silence. Hahaha. Luckily have made 5 more since.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

My hole in one was my senior year in HS. I was playing July 3rd with my buddies in the early evening. On a super easy par 5 I had like 220 from the middle of the fairway and pulled my 2nd shot OB. I was fuming.... went to look for my ball and found a pink pinnacle. Dropped that ball and played the hole out.... The tee box on the next hole is down a hill so I punted my pink pinnacle onto that tee box... walked up all pissed off and thinned a 7 iron. The ball landed in front of the green... rolled up, hit the flag and dropped in. I couldn't believe it ! I have a pink pinnacle on my mantle at home. Even better was my only albatross was somewhat similar. Par 5 I nuke a drive.... and have 230 yards down wind... into a green surrounded by a creek. I pulled out a Pro V 1 practice ball with drawings all over it. I hit a 5 iron as hard as I could and it barely makes it over the creek.. lands on the other side of the green side bunker guarding the green. Bounces a good 20 -30 yards forward and drops in the cup. Maybe I should stop buying good balls and play the bargain bin.