Private Club for Young Professionals in Metro Detroit Area (Golf Focused)

hanse2rhanse2r Members Posts: 2

Hey Guys,
I am looking for a private club in the metro Detroit area. I have read many of the older threads regarding private clubs and am looking for updated information. I am a young professional and want to join a club with a strong golf culture. I have Detroit roots and plan on staying in the area so I would like to join a club long term. I have done some research on most of the clubs in the area so I am looking for opinions regarding facilities and culture rather than generic information.
Thanks!

Comments

• backhillbackhill Members Posts: 104 ✭✭

What general area do you reside in, or are you willing to drive potentially 1.5 hours across the metro area?

• keeponlivinkeeponlivin Members Posts: 64 ✭✭

Detroit Golf Club, OLCC, or Meadowbrook CC

• hanse2rhanse2r Members Posts: 2

@backhill said:
    What general area do you reside in, or are you willing to drive potentially 1.5 hours across the metro area?

The Royal Oak area but work in the Farmington Hills area so within 30 mins within those areas are idea.

• jefftomahawkjefftomahawk Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭

Red Run C.C. +1

• bnfrostbnfrost Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

Similar boat as the OP. Have played OLCC with quite a few times over the last couple years. Amazing course and a really nice staff. It’s too expensive and a little strict for me - but hard pressed to find a better course in the area outside of Oakland imo. They’re pretty strict on guests, jeans, jacket, etc. I’m looking for something more relaxed and budget friendly where I can find a game and bet a few bucks. Am looking at Oak Pointe and Walnut Creek, but haven’t visited yet.

• FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,078 ✭✭

I'd highly recommend Meadowbrook especially if your working in FH. If you like classic architecture the course is simply amazing and fun and they have a young, golf focused membership. If your serious let me know and I'd host you anytime for a round. I've been a member at Franklin Hills and OLCC and I am enjoying Meadowbrook by far the most of the 3. Also there is no course in the state I'd rather play all the time.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,078 ✭✭

@bnfrost said:
    Similar boat as the OP. Have played OLCC with quite a few times over the last couple years. Amazing course and a really nice staff. It’s too expensive and a little strict for me - but hard pressed to find a better course in the area outside of Oakland imo. They’re pretty strict on guests, jeans, jacket, etc. I’m looking for something more relaxed and budget friendly where I can find a game and bet a few bucks. Am looking at Oak Pointe and Walnut Creek, but haven’t visited yet.

I was a member at OLCC for a number of years and I didn't find it strict at all. If anything more casual than most clubs I've been at. I have 2 young kids who came with me on the course regularly and a wife who doesn't play, almost always wears jeans and is not really into country club life. She loved OLCC due to the casual and friendly atmosphere.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Members Posts: 364 ✭✭

Dearborn country club is looking for members I'm pretty sure. The member I know has been there 70 years. Meadowbrook when I went last year was top notch and much younger. The bartender was a trip.

Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • kgeisler13kgeisler13 ClubWRX Posts: 349 ClubWRX

Red Run, Pine Lake, OLCC, and Walnut Creek.

KG
  • El GringoEl Gringo Members Posts: 92 ✭✭

@hanse2r said:
    Hey Guys,
    I am looking for a private club in the metro Detroit area. I have read many of the older threads regarding private clubs and am looking for updated information. I am a young professional and want to join a club with a strong golf culture. I have Detroit roots and plan on staying in the area so I would like to join a club long term. I have done some research on most of the clubs in the area so I am looking for opinions regarding facilities and culture rather than generic information.
    Thanks!

Have you considered Birmingham CC?
    Ciao

El Gringo's GB&I Golf Course Tours

http://www.google.co...2499999965&z=11
  • backhillbackhill Members Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 12:27pm #12

Plum Hollow CC is right between FH and Royal Oak. I was hosted there last year and had a great experience.

• DTWEagleDTWEagle Members Posts: 1

Considering RO area and strong golf culture your bets are Red Run $10-20k and Detroit GC$10-20k. Next would be Oakland Hills $80k
    You could look at BHam CC $42+, which is nice, but that is very family focused and golf culture is less than the 3 above.
    Walnut, Meadowbrook $50k and Orchard Lake $45k are all great places, but I think you would be challenged by lack of proximity to RO.

• postfoldpostfold oh how I LOVE putting Members Posts: 390 ✭✭

DGC is that low?

• tbccgolfertbccgolfer tbccgolfer Members Posts: 82 ✭✭

If you are just looking for a good golf course check out Twin Beach Country Club in West Bloomfield. We have a lot of new junior members and most are single digit handicappers. Very challenging and tight layout and you won’t break the bank with dues and initiation fees.

• NatsFan2013NatsFan2013 Southeast MichiganMembers Posts: 68 ✭✭

Edgewood CC in Commerce. I just joined there in April and I am having a great time. Awesome bunch of guys with an endless supply of tournaments to play in.

• jcorna01jcorna01 Members Posts: 634 ✭✭

@NatsFan2013 said:
    Edgewood CC in Commerce. I just joined there in April and I am having a great time. Awesome bunch of guys with an endless supply of tournaments to play in.

My kids daycare is across the street. Looks like a nice place and never overly congested.