2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

40th birthday trip October 2019

A few of my buddies and I have been planning trips to celebrate our milestone birthdays. For instance we're going to Lake Tahoe in September for one guy's 40th and the Bettinardi studio in Chicago for another guy's.

My criteria include:

- a fun town with some type of bar scene; I'm not looking for clubs per se; just some cool bar/restaurant options or a good cigar bar. Also this will be a couple's trip so we need to keep the wives happy.

- good public golf that isn't an hour away. We will probably play 36-54 holes over the course of four days so it isn't a full-on golf trip, but we will play at least every other day

- good weather; late October is too sketchy in the Midwest/Northeast so I'm ruling out those areas.

- stuff for the wives to do; they will golf a little bit, but not nearly as much as the guys

- reasonably short flights; I'd like to keep the flights to 3 hrs tops from Detroit, so L.A., San Diego, Seattle, etc. are out of the mix as well as anything outside of the U.S.

- lodging options; I'm pretty open here, but a rental house for the 6-8 of us would be preferred over a hotel

- not Orlando or Vegas; I've been to those places too many times already

Any advice is appreciated!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Maui on my 40th. It was fantastic.

If you want to stay contiguous ... how about

Destin area in the Florida Panhandle. Golf and restos and beaches are solid

Palm Springs CA - awesome golf and weather

Myrtle Beach SC is solid in October, has all you need at a good price

Hilton Head and Kiawah may be too quiet

Miami is a lot of fun with some top golf in the area

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Tampa area. Stayed in a wicked house there just North of the city with 8 guys. Lots of good golf that is 20-45 mins away. World Woods. Streamsong !! etc etc

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

You might consider Whistling Straits. A myriad of courses to choose from, an hour flight across the lake, lots of things to do for the ladies, great food, etc. The only thing I'm not sure on is the house.

Id be less sure on the weather than the house.

Pinehurst area could be a good fit. Also Charleston is a fun city for the wives, with fantastic food etc. Kiawah is not that far away with lost of public golf there. If you want to drop some cash and stay at the Sanctuary, there are a lot of activities on the island and you could take a trip or two into Charleston, there are huge rentals homes on Kiawah as well. That would get my vote. I took my wife a few years ago and she really loved it.

https://www.vrbo.com/results?q=Kiawah%20Island%2C%20SC%2C%20USA&Property%20Type=house

One I would consider. Coeur d'Alene Resort Golf Course

I did this and really had a great time....brats and beer on 1st and 9th hole. Swag(when I did it). Then played other golf courses in the area that were all great. If you have a connection for private courses, it gets even better.

GolfToberFest at the CDA Golf Course: https://www.facebook.com/events/208938066299501/

October 13 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm

12th Annual GolfToberFest Package

Saturday, October 13th | 11:00 AM Shotgun Start

Taste the flavors of unique harvest crafted seasonal micro-beers and ales throughout the golf course with complimentary Bavarian style Bratwurst, Sausages and Hotdogs grilled to perfection and served all day. The package also includes a special souvenir gift presented at registration to commemorate the day.

Starting at only *$149 per player with resort accommodation

You might consider Whistling Straits. A myriad of courses to choose from, an hour flight across the lake, lots of things to do for the ladies, great food, etc. The only thing I'm not sure on is the house.

Pinehurst area could be a good fit. Also Charleston is a fun city for the wives, with fantastic food etc. Kiawah is not that far away with lost of public golf there. If you want to drop some cash and stay at the Sanctuary, there are a lot of activities on the island and you could take a trip or two into Charleston, there are huge rentals homes on Kiawah as well. That would get my vote. I took my wife a few years ago and she really loved it.

https://www.vrbo.com/results?q=Kiawah%20Island%2C%20SC%2C%20USA&Property%20Type=house

These are under strong consideration. My wife and I stayed on Kiawah last October for our 10 year and loved it including the day we spent in downtown Charleston. Unfortunately we got rained out on the day we were supposed to play golf, but that's all the more reason to go back.

A few of my buddies and I have been planning trips to celebrate our milestone birthdays. For instance we're going to Lake Tahoe in September for one guy's 40th and the Bettinardi studio in Chicago for another guy's.

My criteria include:

- a fun town with some type of bar scene; I'm not looking for clubs per se; just some cool bar/restaurant options or a good cigar bar. Also this will be a couple's trip so we need to keep the wives happy.

- good public golf that isn't an hour away. We will probably play 36-54 holes over the course of four days so it isn't a full-on golf trip, but we will play at least every other day

- good weather; late October is too sketchy in the Midwest/Northeast so I'm ruling out those areas.

- stuff for the wives to do; they will golf a little bit, but not nearly as much as the guys

- reasonably short flights; I'd like to keep the flights to 3 hrs tops from Detroit, so L.A., San Diego, Seattle, etc. are out of the mix as well as anything outside of the U.S.

- lodging options; I'm pretty open here, but a rental house for the 6-8 of us would be preferred over a hotel

Late October is not the least bit sketchy in most of the Northeast!

Somewhere like Newport would be a ton of fun. Off peak crowds, but everything will still be open.

https://www.vrbo.com...erty Type=house

These are under strong consideration. My wife and I stayed on Kiawah last October for our 10 year and loved it including the day we spent in downtown Charleston. Unfortunately we got rained out on the day we were supposed to play golf, but that's all the more reason to go back.

make sure you look at the drive time from charleston to the golf course ... solid hour, almost regardless of traffic ... if you've never been to savannah, you might consider staying there for the trip ... can drive over to kiawah after a couple of nights (2 hour drive) or to charleston and stay for a couple of nights ... or go to hilton head for golf during the day ... or play one of the 2 courses near savannah ... savannah's a bit more subdued then charleston, imo, but with more character ... no knock on charleston ...

I'd agree with one of the earlier replies, Destin could be a really solid choice. It's pretty compact with a solid array of courses near each other and the housing options may very well be the best in the country when you factor in size, price, location relative to courses/bars/restaurants, and quality (jump on any home rental sites and it's stunning what you can get for $800 a night).

Another option would be St. George, UT. It's a little over an hour from Las Vegas airport (all highway as soon as you leave the airport). A bunch of good to great courses all within 15 mins of each other with draw dropping views, plethora of rental houses with many being on courses, and easy to get a direct flight to LV from Detroit.

Lastly look at the Rockies outside Denver along the I70 corridor. There's about 10 really great courses within ~20 or so mins, pick your poison in terms of hotel housing from base hotel to well into the millions of dollar lodges that can be had for a song during summer, along with a treasure trove of bars and restaurants. An added bonus (not sure what summer schedules look like) they have shuttles that are completely free and run between each village area.

I'd agree with one of the earlier replies, Destin could be a really solid choice. It's pretty compact with a solid array of courses near each other and the housing options may very well be the best in the country when you factor in size, price, location relative to courses/bars/restaurants, and quality (jump on any home rental sites and it's stunning what you can get for $800 a night).

Another option would be St. George, UT. It's a little over an hour from Las Vegas airport (all highway as soon as you leave the airport). A bunch of good to great courses all within 15 mins of each other with draw dropping views, plethora of rental houses with many being on courses, and easy to get a direct flight to LV from Detroit.

Lastly look at the Rockies outside Denver along the I70 corridor. There's about 10 really great courses within ~20 or so mins, pick your poison in terms of hotel housing from base hotel to well into the millions of dollar lodges that can be had for a song during summer, along with a treasure trove of bars and restaurants. An added bonus (not sure what summer schedules look like) they have shuttles that are completely free and run between each village area.

Denver is probably fine weather-wise, but anything at higher altitude has a real chance to snow in late October.

make sure you look at the drive time from charleston to the golf course ... solid hour, almost regardless of traffic ... if you've never been to savannah, you might consider staying there for the trip ... can drive over to kiawah after a couple of nights (2 hour drive) or to charleston and stay for a couple of nights ... or go to hilton head for golf during the day ... or play one of the 2 courses near savannah ... savannah's a bit more subdued then charleston, imo, but with more character ... no knock on charleston ...

I've been to Savannah but never played any golf while I was there.

My criteria include:

Somewhere like Newport would be a ton of fun. Off peak crowds, but everything will still be open.

I don't believe you lol. If you're telling me there's no way it could be 45 and rainy up there in late October I call BS.

I've been to Savannah but never played any golf while I was there.

savannah harbor and wilmington ... close to the city ... won't break the bank ... spa stuff to do, and you're back in savannah within the hour ...

My criteria include:

I don't believe you lol. If you're telling me there's no way it could be 45 and rainy up there in late October I call BS.

Anything’s possible; but October is generally one of the consistently good weather months.

You are wise to reject all northern locations due to risky weather.

Focus on areas that are hot in the summer. They are usually quite nice in Oct - Nov. Here are some I would suggest;

Cabo

Dominican Republic

San Antonio

Austin

RTJ trail - Birmingham

Charleston

Pinehurst

Houston

Dallas

Scottsdale

Palm Springs

Yeah, Houston was a great destination last fall!

• 2 weeks later...

San Diego?

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale’s v*****.

Veronica Corningstone: No, there’s no way that’s correct.

Ron Burgundy: I’m sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don’t know what it means. I’ll be honest, I don’t think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Veronica Corningstone: Doesn’t it mean Saint Diego?

Ron Burgundy: No. No.

Veronica Corningstone: No, that’s – that’s what it means. Really.

Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

New Orleans.

Within 30 minutes of the French Quarter / Marigny are two great tracks: TPC Louisiana and English Turn (which held the Zurich up until Katrina hit). Audobon is a great shorter course in the Garden District. Drive an hour out over the lake to Carter Plantation. My group had been to Vegas and Myrtle and Pinehurst and West Palm Beach and then went here and kept going back every year (I even joined TPC as a national member for the year).

Night life can't be beat. Go to Bacchanal in the Bywater--my happy place in this world. You and the wives won't be disappointed.

I played in Cabo with my dad a few weeks ago and commented to a buddy how cool a guy's trip it would be. There's terrific golf, you're guaranteed good weather, and there's fun to be had. Was only about a 3 hour flight even from Atlanta.

You do not want to go to Cabo in October. Late August-Mid October are the worst weather of the year. Hot and Humid. Courses will be in off season condistions. Thanksgiving to Memorial Day, or even through June would be prime season for Cabo Golf.

Come to Denver... plenty of good golf and things too do. Take the wives up to the mountains one day/night and hang out. Great food and beverages too.

I really like Denver. I've been there probably 15-20 times, but it's still a bit risky weather-wise and the golf scene is kinda meh.

Come to Denver... plenty of good golf and things too do. Take the wives up to the mountains one day/night and hang out. Great food and beverages too.

I really like Denver. I've been there probably 15-20 times, but it's still a bit risky weather-wise and the golf scene is kinda meh.

I agree. It is risky that time of year. Can be down right amazing weather....or complete nasty.

• 11 months later...

I decided to go to Asheville. The non-golfers will absolutely love it. Good courses require some windshield time but we won't be in any rush. Scored a huge rental house in the mountains only 10 min from downtown. We have 10 people total attending. Now we just need good weather ?