Akshay Bhatia

In case you haven't been watching, high school junior (home schooled) Akshay is playing in this week's Valspar Championship and the kid played well in his first PGA event.  Started off with a pretty easy birdie on 10 but then something happened I didn't see and he ended up going three over in his next two holes.  Went two under through his next eleven holes but then three over again in his last four holes.  Ended up at +3 on the day sitting at T100.  Poor guy found himself in five bunkers today which isn't horrible but I'm sure added just a little more pressure for perfection from a guy that said he wanted to win this thing.

I fully expect him to settle down tomorrow and shoot a much better score.  Not sure if it will be good enough to make the cut but he'll play well and show these guys he's good enough to be out there.

Just for reference, he's ranked numero uno in JGS with a -7.23 differential and ranked number 8 in WAGR.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

CTgolf said:
Top player?  Home schooled?

WISE

He hates school.  I listened to a podcast interview with him and he is as dumb as a stump.  He is not attending college and will turn pro when he graduates from High School if not sooner.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Birdie on #1 today to start out second round.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

I thought he came off in the Golf Digest podcast as an immature teenager with limited social skills.  Which is quite common for home-school kids that don't get much social interaction with peers.  But I would challenge anyone to find a 16 year old kid who is polished or media savvy at that age and who wouldn't be somewhat awkward in that setting.  It certainly sounds like education isn't a priority within his family.   When asked to describe "a day in the life" he never mentioned school-work once.  He essentially wakes, goes to the gym, golf course and home for bed.  When the interviewer attempted to steer the conversation in an effort to offer some evidence of schoolwork, he doubled down that he hates school and doesn't see the benefit.  I doubt there is a lot of "home-schooling" going on within that household.

I wish the kid well but would be concerned if he were my child.  There is certainly no guarantee professional golf will pan out.  Thousands of exceptional players never reach Tour status.  If professional golf doesn't pan out, he will be ill equipped for the real world.

I don’t who is giving a lot these younger players advice but saying your not going to college when it clearly is on the table not the smartest move.

I get that when a player is good enough going to college is probably a stupid move. All it takes is 1 win on the PGA tour to more then make it worth a persons while.

The problem I see is winning is not as easy as people think especially on the PGA. It also is not just about winning either. College helps players learn how to raise sponsors , travel at higher intensity and just plain get along better with people.

I don’t think this kid is at that level yet and his parents should be helping him make smart desciscions for his future in some cases they probably should take the mic away and just let him play.

he's not ready for pros. simple as that. i honestly don't care what he shot this week --

nothing beats a free education, competitive knowledge and otherwise socialization since he was homeschooled. grow a bit more young man -- not just in your golf game.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Right now the cut is sitting at +1 and AB is at +4... looks like he's going to miss the cut which is a bummer but I'm sure he's learning a lot about himself.

As for the comments about his education, I tend to agree that college should be the route for most but we don't know his circumstances. Like a previous poster said, during his podcast he didn't mention school as part of his daily routine. He might just simply not have the grades to get in anywhere except for maybe Alabama.

Other than Tiger, has there ever been a junior with national exposure that has made a successful segue to the tour? I know that regionally you might have a group that were familiar with Cameron Champ or maybe even a Jordan Spieth but I can't think of a single #golfprodigy that has had national name recognition move on to success. I do see a lot more kids creating a brand around themselves now by throwing 58 #'s and 42 @'s on Instagram hoping to get reposted but that just seems weird to me. I even see some coaches doing this for their students hoping to get additional follows and likes... again, very weird to me.

If we were talking LPGA not PGA I would think the talking about not doing college is something that happens more frequently. It actually more stupid to do this to pursuer the LPGA considering the actual earnings but for what ever reason a lot girls will throw away a few hundred grand that they will never make turning pro.

He has a long way to go though to be a household name.

> @leezer99 said:

> Other than Tiger, has there ever been a junior with national exposure that has made a successful segue to the tour? I know that regionally you might have a group that were familiar with Cameron Champ or maybe even a Jordan Spieth but I can't think of a single #golfprodigy that has had national name recognition move on to success. I do see a lot more kids creating a brand around themselves now by throwing 58 #'s and 42 @'s on Instagram hoping to get reposted but that just seems weird to me. I even see some coaches doing this for their students hoping to get additional follows and likes... again, very weird to me.

Jordan had WAY more media exposure, he won multiple US Juniors. Kevin Na has done ok. So has Sergio. There’s plenty of top juniors that had huge exposure that have been successful

@iteachgolf I just read Na's wiki... for having grown up about an hour away I had no idea he left HS after his junior year to turn pro. I'm kind of guessing the year but that looks like it was in 2000 and he ended up getting his card in 2004.

I'd be interested in finding out how long the average Web.com player takes to get onto the big stage if at all. Seems like a pretty tough racket.

> @leezer99 said:

> @iteachgolf I just read Na's wiki... for having grown up about an hour away I had no idea he left HS after his junior year to turn pro. I'm kind of guessing the year but that looks like it was in 2000 and he ended up getting his card in 2004.

>

> I'd be interested in finding out how long the average Web.com player takes to get onto the big stage if at all. Seems like a pretty tough racket.

Na won Asian Tour championship at 18 years old iirc . Earned his PGA Tour card one year later right after his 20th birthday.

How long it takes depends on the player, the average Web.com Tour player never makes it to the PGA Tour

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

> @iteachgolf said:

> Guessing he will finish 35-45th

For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

>

> For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

> >

> > For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

>

> I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

• Like 1

> @kekoa said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

> > >

> > > For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

> >

> > I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

>

> So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

>

>

Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

> > > >

> > > > For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

> > >

> > > I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

> >

> > So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

> >

> >

>

> Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

I thought most of the Euro guys don't attend college. Rory, Rose, others?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

> > > > >

> > > > > For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

> > > >

> > > > I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

> > >

> > > So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

>

> I thought most of the Euro guys don't attend college. Rory, Rose, others?

Europe is completely different in how their schools are setup. Rose struggled massively until he figured it out. He’d probably admit he turned pro too early. Rory is a generational talent and it took him 2 years to win on the European Tour. Both had top finishes in majors while high school aged. Akshay has been trying to Monday qualify for PGA Tour event for years and hasn’t qualified for one. I think he will have some success on tour, but he’s not ready right now.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

> > > > > >

> > > > > > For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

> > > >

> > > > So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

> >

> > I thought most of the Euro guys don't attend college. Rory, Rose, others?

>

> Europe is completely different in how their schools are setup. Rose struggled massively until he figured it out. He’d probably admit he turned pro too early. Rory is a generational talent and it took him 2 years to win on the European Tour. Both had top finishes in majors while high school aged. Akshay has been trying to Monday qualify for PGA Tour event for years and hasn’t qualified for one. I think he will have some success on tour, but he’s not ready right now.

What score range does it take to Monday qualify for a Web? 2-3 under? I know for PGA events you have to go lights out at like 5-6 under and you are also going up against past PGA players for just 2-3 spots.

> @kekoa said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

> > >

> > > I thought most of the Euro guys don't attend college. Rory, Rose, others?

> >

> > Europe is completely different in how their schools are setup. Rose struggled massively until he figured it out. He’d probably admit he turned pro too early. Rory is a generational talent and it took him 2 years to win on the European Tour. Both had top finishes in majors while high school aged. Akshay has been trying to Monday qualify for PGA Tour event for years and hasn’t qualified for one. I think he will have some success on tour, but he’s not ready right now.

>

> What score range does it take to Monday qualify for a Web? 2-3 under? I know for PGA events you have to go lights out at like 5-6 under and you are also going up against past PGA players for just 2-3 spots.

He made it in on the number in a six person qualifier at 4 under. Qualifiers were -10, -7, -5, -5, -4, -4.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

> > > > > >

> > > > > > For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

> > > >

> > > > So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

> >

> > I thought most of the Euro guys don't attend college. Rory, Rose, others?

>

> Europe is completely different in how their schools are setup. Rose struggled massively until he figured it out. He’d probably admit he turned pro too early. Rory is a generational talent. Both had top finishes in majors while high school aged. Akshay has been trying to Monday qualify for PGA Tour event for years and hasn’t qualified for one. I think he will have some success on tour, but he’s not ready right now.

> @kekoa said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > > Guessing he will finish 35-45th

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > For me, this is super compelling to watch play out. I know there are lots of parents that want their kids to go on to become pros so being able to watch the success / struggles of the #1 ranked junior am with every resource available is a fantastic barometer to watch.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don’t think he’s close to ready for professional golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > So you think he should go to college and mature further while also sharpening his game? If my son was in his position, he would 100% go to college and hopefully get some pga exemptions along the way. If he proves himself then by all means turn pro later.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Nobody who’s done what he’s going to do has been successful so far. Including guys that finished top 10 in PGA Tour events in high school, and he hasn’t made a cut. He’s very talented but that alone isn’t going to be enough

> > >

> > > I thought most of the Euro guys don't attend college. Rory, Rose, others?

> >

> > Europe is completely different in how their schools are setup. Rose struggled massively until he figured it out. He’d probably admit he turned pro too early. Rory is a generational talent and it took him 2 years to win on the European Tour. Both had top finishes in majors while high school aged. Akshay has been trying to Monday qualify for PGA Tour event for years and hasn’t qualified for one. I think he will have some success on tour, but he’s not ready right now.

>

> What score range does it take to Monday qualify for a Web? 2-3 under? I know for PGA events you have to go lights out at like 5-6 under and you are also going up against past PGA players for just 2-3 spots.

Anywhere between -4 and -10 depending on number of spots.