2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Weight Loss Journey

tiger.19

Hi guys,

After some ongoing health concerns I have decided it’s time to tackle my issues and begin repairing my body. I need to loose at least 75lbs. Has anyone on here lost this amount of weight before and if so how did you start? What did breakfast /lunch/dinners. Look like. I’m not exactly sure where to start and it’s quite overwhelming. Thanks so much for your support.

I lost about 50lbs over 1-2 yrs. From 220 to 170. I am back up to 180 which was by choice. There's no real secrets or tricks, you just have to start eating better and exercising. Find healthy foods you like and eat them alot. Also you have to exercise regularly because diet alone is hard, too easy to have days where you lose your progress and get demoralized.

I gave up things like fries, ate healthy most of the time. Still made a point of eating junk here and there not to go crazy, but I was exercising a lot, 60mins or so a day

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My wife took a picture of me this past August teeing off, and I freaked out when I saw the belly poking through from under my untucked shirt.  That was the catalyst to my weight loss journey.

I had read about the keto diet and some of my friends tried it with much success.  I didn't do the crazy stuff like pee on strips to see if I was actually in a state of ketosis.  I cut down carb intake to an insanely low level.  I've heard that you should generally keep carbs to less than 50g per day.  I can tell you there were some days that I bet I had less than 15g or even 10g of carbs.

The changes were dramatic.  I lost 11lbs in 11 days.  I stood stupefied on the scale when I saw what it was reading.   I don't know how long you're "supposed" to do this, but low carb high fat moderate protein has been my lifestyle ever since.  I only let myself slide on Thanksgiving, and even then it wasn't crazy.

I equate these kinds of commitments to rolling a heavy boulder on grass;  it is likely hard at first, but once you get rolling it's much easier to maintain momentum.

I was at least 215lbs when I started.  Right now I hover around 186 or 187, and I've seen 185, which hasn't happened since college.  I just turned 40 and I can't believe how good I feel.  Clothes fit better, my triglyceride levels dropped like a sack of bricks...hell, I'm even faster.  I swear my hair is less oily, and my knees feel better.

Good luck no matter what you do.  I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have about it!! 

• Like 2

Intermittent fasting and exercise is working for me. The fasting can be hard some days due to working shifts. I try and only eat between Noon and 8pm but can eat what I like with moderation. Start with some fast walking 30 minutes a day every day, you'll be surprised how quickly this will turn into a gentle jog and walk and then jogging / running. Weight training will also help with weight loss or rather fat loss. Good luck its hard but worth it.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

I'm currently down about 80 lbs from my high. Two years ago I decided to start counting my calories and doing it vaguely properly. Here is what I suggest - download the myfitnesspal app to your phone. Put in your weight and height and age etc and set it to lose 2 lbs a week. It will tell you how many calories you should aim for. Then every time you put something in your mouth record it. I would suggest setting it not to adjust your goal for exercise, then any exercise you do is a bonus. 

Technically, you should probably weigh everything too, but if you have 75 lbs to lose, I don't think that's necessary. Just eyeball it and then track your weight. Weigh yourself every day. You should be losing right around 2 lbs a week. If you're only losing 1 lb a week, you're eating more than you think. So adjust up your portion sizes that you record in MFP. 1 lb is about 3,500 calories. 1 lb a week is therefore 500 calories a day. If you eat 1,000 calories below your maintenance every day, then you'll lose 2 lbs a week, and 9 months from now you'll hit your goal. Remember as you get lighter that your maintenance is going to come down. If you readjust your MFP weight from time to time it will recalibrate your daily goals. 

The other thing to remember is if you go back to your old habits once you get there, your weight will go back up again. Once you get to your goal weight, set MFP to maintain and keep recording. 

I personally find it very encouraging that this is all you have to do. You learn how much more filling it is to eat grilled chicken and broccoli, vs a pack of chips. The point of most of the diets that you see out there is to try to get you to feel full on fewer calories, so you don't have to count them. The other thing I have found is it's a good idea to shoot for under your goal on the days you're being good. That means that you can have a splurge every now and again. Let's say your maintenance is 3,000 calories (mine was higher than that when I started), so your goal is 2,000 calories a day. It's no good eating 2,000 calories a day and then eating 5,000 calories in one day on the weekend. You're giving back virtually all of it. But if you eat 1,800 calories a day, then 3,000 in one day on the weekend, you're at or around your goal for the week. Alcohol is not your friend - it's high calories and it reduces inhibitions, so it makes you more likely to snack on junk too. 

That's about it. Good luck!

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Good for you man. 

I've lost about 20-25 lbs since January 1 mainly by adjusting my diet.  I wasn't morbidly obese before, but I did weigh more than I've ever weighed in my life when I started.   Basically, I went low carb and have been eating a lot of  grilled meats and good veggies (not ones high in sugar, starches or beans).  I've also been drinking a lot of water.

As far as exercise, I've been doing about push ups and pull ups most every day.  I've also been walking, occasionally jogging and recently started adding sprints.

It'll take about 2 weeks to get through the detox phase and that can be pretty tough.  If you have to have some kind of sweets, I'd recommend stuff low in sugar (I typically try to stay less than 13-15g).  My go to tends to be chocolate that's more than 75% dark chocolate.  However, be warned, don't go with 100% dark chocolate...it's vile.

Keep us updated on your progress! 

I really appreciate all of the feedback. From what you guys have said and from what I’ve seen it looks like I’m going to begin to start to shop on the outside isles of the grocery ( meats, fruit, dairy,vegetables, some rice/ different things on various days to switch it up) I will also gladly take your favorite food choices/ recipes if you have any. Gotta try and kick this diet soda habit, it’s ridiculous.Thanks again.

> @"tiger.19" said:

> I really appreciate all of the feedback. From what you guys have said and from what I’ve seen it looks like I’m going to begin to start to shop on the outside isles of the grocery ( meats, fruit, dairy,vegetables, some rice/ different things on various days to switch it up) I will also gladly take your favorite food choices/ recipes if you have any. Gotta try and kick this diet soda habit, it’s ridiculous.Thanks again.

If you're drinking a bunch of soda, eliminating that alone will probably yield impressive results!

I looked like a pregnant gumby. 6ft., all arms and legs and 7 months pregnant. Not a beautiful thing. Stopped eating big meals, went to lean meats like chicken and ham. Cut out red meat for most part. Ate more veggies. Lost 20+ lbs. Two things I would recommend would be to eat your lightest meal at night. And take a walk afterwards if possible. Worst thing you can do is heavy evening meal and then vegetate. As far as exercise try starting out just walking, then add whatever you think works. Walking is one of the most beneficial things you can do. Super low impact and everything is moving. Kinda like golf. Good luck.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Good topic.

I've dropped 11 pounds in 2.5 weeks. I'm not dieting. All I did was stop drinking beer, stop eating in between meals, eat three decent balanced meals a day, and no desserts except for a grapefruit after dinner. I'm also at a point in my life where I can golf as much as I want provided the weather cooperates. I've played 12 rounds of golf in that time frame, walking whenever it's not too wet.

I'm sure the weight loss won't be as dramatic as time goes on but so far so good. The reason I eat three hearty balanced meals a day is so I won't be tempted to snack in between meals or to have seconds.

I estimate that I've eliminated over 15,000 calories a week. Beer, ice cream, other desserts, snacks, seconds, and "fourth meal" in the evening really added up. Much more than I would of thought.

40 pounds to go. I haven't been miserable or hungry yet.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Losing weight is a **decision based** mental process. Everyone always reiterates what to eat or how to work out or both. Most, if not all of the responses in this thread contain good advice. Stop eating this. Eat more of that. Eat less overall. Move more. Some people cut carbs. Some cut fat. Some just count calories. It is all easy to say but hard to do until you make a true, dedicating, all consuming effort to make the right decisions for a long stretch of time. Rather than diet books to read, I would suggest "The One Thing" by Gary Keller. It discusses ways to set your sites on very singular goals and hit them with gusto.

Just think of the number of food based decisions you make a day. I'm probably around at least 50, maybe even 100 already today. Post workout shake choice, do I sneak a slice of apple as I cut it up for my kid, do I eat the granola bar my 2 yo didn't touch, do I want eggs, should I stop for chick fil a breakfast, do I want string cheese, how about some tortilla chips, what to drink, I need to go to the store for cauliflower should I get a candy bar, back home what to eat for lunch, should I snack while lunch is cooking, what's for dinner, string cheese again, do I want a nutrigrain bar, etc, etc. Man that isn't even close to all the decisions I made today, that's the sampling I could dump from my brain in about 20 seconds.

If you can dial in that driving force to make the right decisions all the time, or really far more often than not, you will be successful. You can choose a diet and workout plan that works for you and makes decisions easier. If it's your big goal, you will make time to prioritize it and get it right. It is hard. Not gonna lie. You may fail a few times. Just need to catch yourself and reset.

• Like 1

I do 90-100 minutes of exercise every other night. Treadmill and weights - circuit training. 2-3 mins on the treadmill, do some sets or reps and back on the treadmill, rinse and repeat.

Between the nights including the weight lifting I do speed walking on a treadmill for 4 + miles .. 60-70 mins while working in some planks, squats and ab rollers

Lower the carbs dramatically or limit them to before 3pm

Less sugary drinks .. coffee, soda, iced tea etc

Took booze off the menu

I have not lost a ton of weight but I look way better and am picking up muscle mass

Like anything new, you just have to make it part of your routine and STICK WITH IT. It will suck at first but you will feel miles better as you progress

The hardest part, and my doctor warned me of this, when you are exercising a lot it will drive food and sugar cravings

NB :: I have met guys using the myfitness app and they lost mega weight simply by just tracking calories, no exercise

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Good luck with your journey! I lost 50 about 10 years ago using a plan that I can't find on the internet anymore. I've seen similar concepts in lots of different plans, so I don't think the plan was anything magical or groundbreaking.

The basic concepts were:

1) Increasing water and fruit (fiber) intake, which serve as appetite suppressants. Basically, if you drink 2 glasses of water and eat a piece of fruit 30 minutes before every meal, you'll eat less during the meal and it starts priming your "fullness" signals before your meal. Most of us have already overeaten by the time the "satisfied" or "full" signals start getting triggered.

2) Eat in the order of digestion time. Fruits/veggies first, meat last.

3) Fill up on veggies. Eat as much raw/steamed/boiled veggies (but not starchy veggies like potatoes, etc) as you want. When you meal prep, pack more veggies than you think you'll want to eat. Since you're eating in the order of digestion, if you over-eat the veggies you're more likely to under-eat everything after, and less likely to have snack/dessert cravings after the meal. The meats burn longer, so you're able to keep the metabolic process going most of the day.

4) Reduce carbs substantially. Use fruit juice and low-sugar options for dressing salads, avoid bread and croutons.

The goals were to improve metabolism and increase fast-digesting, high fiber, high nutrient foods and force your body to be too full for snacks. Then over time, you begin to lose your sweet tooth.

It worked great while I was disciplined because it wasn't unrealistically demanding and I could still get as "full" as I wanted.

In reality, the discipline is probably a more important trait than any specific plan. There are a thousand different diet plans that would work, you just have to find the one that allows you to be consistent. Bonus points if it becomes a permanent lifestyle-change for maintenance once you hit your desired weight. Any method of imposing will power over food intake or exercise is probably going to improve your caloric balance. I gained most of the weight back a few years later when I fell off the wagon, started having kids, and became sedentary, and haven't found the discipline since. I'm working on that part now, so hopefully in a few months we can both have new success stories.

One big key for me has been finding a replacement for my morning coffee/tea. I generally take in about 30 ounces of tea or coffee totaling about 400 calories of cream/sugar. I've recently moved to a tea that has as much caffeine as coffee, but is sweet enough to drink without any cream or sugar. That's the equivalent of 2 donuts/day that I'm not taking in. That is also allowing me to try Intermittent Fasting. I could never get to 11am without my coffee/tea, and I couldn't successfully find a way to replace the cream/sugar to stay under the 50 calorie limit to stay in fasting mode without using artificial sweeteners. So my goal is to do a 16/8 fast with reduced non-fruit sugar intake and daily exercise, and hopefully use that as the basis of a lifestyle change.

Again, good luck!

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

The hardest part is finding a place to start. Pick one food that you eat too much of or is the most unhealthy for you, and minimize/cut it out.

I have mixed IF with keto since my honeymoon in October, and was able to lose 15 pounds. Now that I'm in my goal range I'm allowing myself the indulgence here and there, but sticking to the diet during weekdays because I found that my energy levels at work improve with the food quality.

Bread and beer make me feel bloated and slow, I've cut them out for all but the rarest circumstances. Still have plenty of room for liquor and wine though!

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I’m not much of a weight worrier. But when my cholesterol started getting a little high, I just basically cut my portions back. Instead of a double cheeseburger, just a single. Don’t eat the entire pizza in one sitting, etc. That type of thing.

Doing that, along with trimming out some of fhe fast foods worked pretty well. I refuse to completely give up all my favorite foods, just have less of them.

If you want to make a lifestyle change then it has to be sustainable. If you have to call something a diet then it won't last.

Cut out the processed rubbish, switch beer to wine and reduce intake or give up entirely, and up your exercise levels. For me, I took up martial arts which burn insane amounts of calories for the amount of time spent (1,000 plus in one hour).

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Some great suggestions/stories here. All of them work for some of them. Like was hinted in several other posts you have to find what you are willing to accept. Any physician will tell you if you can lose 10% of your body weight in a 1 year time frame that is incredible. There are a lot of ways to do it much faster if you like, but again, what are you willing to accept. Set S.M.A.R.T. goals and work everyday towards those. When times get tough, and they will, remember that very first post you made. Remember your why!

Play more Golf (Walking) and replace 1 unhealthy meal a day for 1 healthy meal. You can do this!

Ping G LS Tec 9d w/ Graphite Design Tour AD S
Taylormade Rocketballz 3w w/ Graphite Design Tour AD s
TaylorMade RBZ TP 18.5* Stock
4-PW Srixon Z765 KBS C-Taper Lite Reg
50* 54* 58* Mizuno Mp-T5
Bettinardi Tiki

Recently lost 30lbs doing "lazy" keto. Cut out sugar, kept the carbs low. Tested my blood for a month to know if what I was eating would put me in ketosis. Went from 2-3 beers a day to 1-2 a week. Still keeping the carbs, sugar and beer low to maintain. Just spent a week in Jackson Hole skiing and ate pretty much whatever I wanted. Put about 4 pounds on, but I've pretty much taken it back off during the last week. You don't realize how bad carbs and sugar make you feel until you cut them out. Good luck!

• Like 1

I lost 140 lbs in a year with a 6-Day Cardio-Acceleration workout routine and spent a lot of my "rest" days playing basketball. Having a busy schedule, I found a program that was only 48 minutes to an hour tops using only adjustable dumbbells at home. Built a good amount of muscle and burned a lot of fat. The nutrition part was a vital part also. After injuring my back and losing all motivation for about 2 years, I started eating keto. Down 38 lbs in 2 months. It's pretty effortless. Starting to incorporate some light weight lifting now that the Chiropractor has fully released me. You should download the bodybuilding.com app! There are a ton of articles, nutrition plans, workout plans, etc. that cater to any and everyone! The easiest to incorporate into a busy lifestyle has got to be keto though, imo.

• Like 2

> @jaysno24 said:

> > @"Matt J" said:

> > In for the follow. Signed up for a 6 week challenge to drop 25 pounds.

>

> Best of luck!

Thanks!

Never tried something like this before. I've always been pretty stable around 15% body fat. But, over the last few years I've lost interest in the higher intensity activities like cycling and replaced them with golf. I walk all my rounds, but still my weight has risen. A local crossfit gym offers a 6 week program where you pay in advance, but if you can drop 6% of your body fat or 25 pounds then you get the money back. I did my first weigh-in yesterday, and I'm over 25% body fat and the analyzer encouraged me to lose half of the 50 lbs of fat I'm carrying. Most people looking at me wouldn't think I have 25 lbs to drop, but I'm going to try. If I can add about 10 lbs of lean muscle and lose 25 lbs of fat I'd weight about 165 lbs which would be perfect.

> @"Matt J" said:

> Never tried something like this before. I've always been pretty stable around 15% body fat. But, over the last few years I've lost interest in the higher intensity activities like cycling and replaced them with golf. I walk all my rounds, but still my weight has risen. A local crossfit gym offers a 6 week program where you pay in advance, but if you can drop 6% of your body fat or 25 pounds then you get the money back. I did my first weigh-in yesterday, and I'm over 25% body fat and the analyzer encouraged me to lose half of the 50 lbs of fat I'm carrying. Most people looking at me wouldn't think I have 25 lbs to drop, but I'm going to try. If I can add about 10 lbs of lean muscle and lose 25 lbs of fat I'd weight about 165 lbs which would be perfect.

I was the same way when I started in January. With my clothes on, no one could tell how chunky I'd gotten, but I weighed more than I ever have in my life. In about 4 months I have dropped about 20 lbs and reduced my body fat to about 11-12%. I have abs again. It's kind of cool.

> @bu11dog said:

> > @"Matt J" said:

>

> > Never tried something like this before. I've always been pretty stable around 15% body fat. But, over the last few years I've lost interest in the higher intensity activities like cycling and replaced them with golf. I walk all my rounds, but still my weight has risen. A local crossfit gym offers a 6 week program where you pay in advance, but if you can drop 6% of your body fat or 25 pounds then you get the money back. I did my first weigh-in yesterday, and I'm over 25% body fat and the analyzer encouraged me to lose half of the 50 lbs of fat I'm carrying. Most people looking at me wouldn't think I have 25 lbs to drop, but I'm going to try. If I can add about 10 lbs of lean muscle and lose 25 lbs of fat I'd weight about 165 lbs which would be perfect.

> I was the same way when I started in January. With my clothes on, no one could tell how chunky I'd gotten, but I weighed more than I ever have in my life. In about 4 months I have dropped about 20 lbs and reduced my body fat to about 11-12%. I have abs again. It's kind of cool.

>

I like it. Nice work!

I decided yesterday that I'm not going to talk about it with anyone outside of the gym, and simply give it 100% and see what happens. I think it would be fun to take a picture every couple of weeks and see if I can tell the difference. My own private Nutri Weight before and after :)

Sounds like we have similar builds. I gain the traditional donut of love handles and a pot belly very low over the bottom of my abs. I usually wear my pants pretty low and pull my shirt out of pants a little and you don't notice. I have gone from being a 32 or 33 waist to a 35 or 36. Pretty telling. My "fat" weight used to be 175 and now I'm at about 183 so I definitely have some fat to drop.

Talking to the gal yesterday I was actually pretty excited. I've lifted weights and understood the basics of nutrition for 30 years, but I've never had any real support with tweaking my diet or workouts to meet an exact goal. I had built event specific workout regiments to compete in cycling and skiing events but never had any success building much muscle mass. I tried a 5/3/1 program suggested by a local trainer for about 4 or 5 months about 4 years ago when I was 39 years old and staring down 40, but I think my body is way to slow twitch for that to work. I got a 23andMe for a present and it even said that, which I've always known, much better at endurance than speed. We'll see...

> @bekgolf said:

> Good topic.

> I've dropped 11 pounds in 2.5 weeks. I'm not dieting. All I did was stop drinking beer, stop eating in between meals, eat three decent balanced meals a day, and no desserts except for a grapefruit after dinner. I'm also at a point in my life where I can golf as much as I want provided the weather cooperates. I've played 12 rounds of golf in that time frame, walking whenever it's not too wet.

>

> I'm sure the weight loss won't be as dramatic as time goes on but so far so good. The reason I eat three hearty balanced meals a day is so I won't be tempted to snack in between meals or to have seconds.

>

> I estimate that I've eliminated over 15,000 calories a week. Beer, ice cream, other desserts, snacks, seconds, and "fourth meal" in the evening really added up. Much more than I would of thought.

> 40 pounds to go. I haven't been miserable or hungry yet.

>

How is everyone doing?

I'm now 6 weeks into it and down 23 pounds. I've been walking 18 holes carrying my bag at least 3 times a week. I feel a whole lot better, not huffing and puffing on the hills, and I'm sleeping better.

To put it in golf perspective I've lost almost as much weight as my bag weighs. Now when I walk 18 with the bag my legs are carrying almost the same amount of weight they did 6 weeks ago just doing normal things.

I haven't felt this good for at least 10 years. The next short term goal is to get below 210 pounds. I'm 53 years old, 6'1" with a normal to large frame. Currently at 219. All of this without dieting, just changing my eating habits.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter