A Different Take on Tiger Woods' Masters Victory - 'Revenge'

archer1

As background, Marina Hyde is one of the sharpest social and political commentators in the UK. She has a wonderful ability to skewer pomposity. What I never knew about her was that she is a huge Tiger Woods fan. I found this article by her to be a very enjoyable read. [theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/17/tiger-woods-masters-win-revenge-golf-old-guard](www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/17/tiger-woods-masters-win-revenge-golf-old-guard "theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/17/tiger-woods-masters-win-revenge-golf-old-guard")

There's a certain truth in this excerpt:

_Even now, there is no more skin-crawling sight in golf than the Green Jacket presentation in the wretched interior of Augusta’s Butler Cabin, a place of staggering charmlessness and aesthetic death. Here, competitors who have achieved sporting triumph have to sit obediently on twee dining chairs while some dreadful commercial real estate lawyer (the chairman) informs them at remorseless length that they have been a “worthy” champion over the past year, or that the club is pleased to confer upon them something they literally just won. (Incidentally, no Masters TV viewer can imagine giving a millionth of a toss what “the club” feels about anything – because the club certainly couldn’t give one about them. Augusta detests ordinary golf fans so much it can barely stand to give them a glimpse of its tournament. The sheer amount of time viewers are expected to spend watching a shrub or listening to birdsong, until they deign to show you some scores or even some actual golf, is the most naked illustration of elite contempt in all of world sport.)_

• Like 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

I’m not really surprised that these articles popped up. Just like last year with Patrick Reed it gives some the platform to knock a person down while others are lifting him up. There’s always another side. My question would be are they doing it because they really feel that way or are they doing it to get some needed attention. I read the espn article and there definitely seems to be some type of satisfaction she is deriving from being the opposing view. Much like the Masters Tiger Woods garners strong opinions on both sides. My feeling is both are trying to heal some of the past done wrongs and moving in the right direction. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

> @"Birdie Mac" said:

> Honestly, I wish Billy Payne had been in Butler Cabin for the ceremony. After that gratuitous dressing down he gave Tiger several years back, I'm sure Tiger would have gotten some less than guilty pleasure out of coming out on top again. Talk about glass houses.

Billy said enough and hardly went too far.

LOL, I doubt even Tiger will ever be dumb enough from a PR perspective (well, he still has Steiny) to suggest anyone that criticized him in '09, '10 for some obvious reasons had a comeuppance headed their way, especially Augusta National.

Putting anything that happened over the weekend in juxtaposition with his personal issues is probably the wrong approach. LOL, 9 + years later and you are looking for payback because Billy may have hurt Tiger's feelings (or yours)? Wrong tack to take.

• Like 3

> @"Birdie Mac" said:

> Honestly, I wish Billy Payne had been in Butler Cabin for the ceremony. After that gratuitous dressing down he gave Tiger several years back, I'm sure Tiger would have gotten some less than guilty pleasure out of coming out on top again. Talk about glass houses.

what i immediately thought ... gonna go out on a limb and assume there are angc members with as many - if not more - skeletons in their closet as tiger, ... i agree with much of what the writer said in her piece ...

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > Honestly, I wish Billy Payne had been in Butler Cabin for the ceremony. After that gratuitous dressing down he gave Tiger several years back, I'm sure Tiger would have gotten some less than guilty pleasure out of coming out on top again. Talk about glass houses.

>

> Billy said enough and hardly went too far.

>

> LOL, I doubt even Tiger will ever be dumb enough from a PR perspective (well, he still has Steiny) to suggest anyone that criticized him in '09, '10 for some obvious reasons had a comeuppance headed their way, especially Augusta National.

>

> Putting anything that happened over the weekend in juxtaposition with his personal issues is probably the wrong approach. LOL, 9 + years later and you are looking for payback because Billy may have hurt Tiger's feelings (or yours)? Wrong tack to take.

Tiger would never make a public statement about the criticism he got from Payne, but I would guarantee he would have enjoyed sitting across from him. I'm not convinced Payne's comments were necessary. Tiger is not an ANGC employee, and as such owes them nothing but playing his best. To me it felt like kicking a man while he's down. Water under the bridge now though.

Wow. It’s as if she read my mind.

No shocker to most. I’m the oddball. I agree with her 99.9%.

The butler cabin bit is old and tired. But. I can stomach it once a year for tradition vs some new , worse , nonsense.

Other wise I agree completely. And tiger gave clues that it was a bit of revenge. Or at least not “ salvation “.

In the presser afterwards some member of the media asks him “ why didn’t you tell us tiger. “ speaking of his back issues , ( severity) before the fusion. His response “ no. I just .... no. “. And stone stared the person down. As of to say “ F you , I’ll never trust or open up when I’m down again “.

If you don’t think this has been about putting a middle finger in the face of doubters , critics , judgement filled hypocrites etc you’re nuts. Him ending on top and taking jacks record will be the biggest middle finger ever rolled up in this sport.

I’m born and raised in the Deep South. I hear , I see I know that what this lady writes about is still real today.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Augusta detests ordinary golf fans because they barely give them a glimpse of the tournament? Pretty sure there is more coverage of the Masters than any other tournament in golf. Maybe she should have downloaded the app. Did this lady do any research before writing the article?

And I don’t know where she got her information that the “old guard” at Augusta wasn’t happy when Tiger won in 1997. I’ve had the privilege of playing golf (not at Aug Nat, very sore subject) with a few members that were there in 1997 and they all say that Tiger winning was one of the best things to happen not only to the Masters but golf in general. And one of those happy members was thick as thieves with Cliff. It doesn’t get anymore old guard than that.

Again, I don’t think she did any research or interviews for this article.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > Honestly, I wish Billy Payne had been in Butler Cabin for the ceremony. After that gratuitous dressing down he gave Tiger several years back, I'm sure Tiger would have gotten some less than guilty pleasure out of coming out on top again. Talk about glass houses.

>

> Billy said enough and hardly went too far.

>

> LOL, I doubt even Tiger will ever be dumb enough from a PR perspective (well, he still has Steiny) to suggest anyone that criticized him in '09, '10 for some obvious reasons had a comeuppance headed their way, especially Augusta National.

>

> Putting anything that happened over the weekend in juxtaposition with his personal issues is probably the wrong approach. LOL, 9 + years later and you are looking for payback because Billy may have hurt Tiger's feelings (or yours)? Wrong tack to take.

9+ years later you guys are still talking about his personal issues? You should all let it go.. I am certain many of you float while you pontificate because of your saintly nature..

Titleist....

I don't see where it was Payne's business.

And I really don't think anyone at AGNC is capable of "hurting TW's feelings."

The club itself is a silly. The tournament though, is great. Because of the players. And history of the players. Not because of the club or the members.

Don't let anyone tell them that, though.

And that ceremony is ridiculous and always has been. Like the esteemed grandma-haired equire millionaire Chairman of the club patting the little golfer boy on the head in a funeral parlor. So silly.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

It’s odd how some can see such negativity in tradition and one of the most coveted wins in the golf world. I don’t see it from her perspective in any way and Tiger will let his clubs do all the talking going forward.

• Like 2

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @mosesgolf said:

> It’s odd how some can see such negativity in tradition and one of the most coveted wins in the golf world. I don’t see it from her perspective in any way and Tiger will let his clubs do all the talking going forward.

Elitism, racism, sexism... these are traditions, too. Having an awkward ceremony conducted by folks ill-suited to it and who appear to be unprepared for it is a tradition. Sooner or later, you gotta stop doing dumb things even if you've done it forever. This kind of behavior and conduct seems to carry forth the aura of Clifford Roberts, one of the world's biggest true word not alloweds and who embodied everything people dislike about that place. Bobby Jones represent what was special, and loved about it. How those two ever got together and along is still a mystery.

That said.. no one has directed any negativity toward the win, the tournament or the participants.

• Like 1

Titleist 818 H2 21*
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

I think her thesis is wrong but this was funny

"How about Woods’s comeback being one in the eye for all those horrendous golfing conservatives – I use the term euphemistically – who were only too pleased to write him off once his Hooters habit was discovered? As a matter of personal taste, I would have preferred it if he had been greeted off the 18th on Sunday by a couple of cocktail waitresses. But you can’t have it all."

Before throwing traditions like the Butler Cabin under the bus, I suggest she look at some of the traditions of her home country. Years ago I was privileged to have dinner with Prince Andrew of the Royal Family. Prior to dinner, I had to go through "protocol training" with a staff member who supported the Royal Family. It covered what we could and couldn't do, could and couldn't say, etc. We were given scripted questions to ask. When it was my "turn" to ask him the scripted question, I asked him if..."he ever just got to be a regular guy and just go have beers with his mates in London without all the pretentious bull ****."

Fortunately, it didn't start an international incident and he and I ended up having beers in a pub in Boston after I received a verbal thrashing from the Head of Protocol.

• Like 1

> @bscinstnct said:

> I think her thesis is wrong but this was funny

>

> "How about Woods’s comeback being one in the eye for all those horrendous golfing conservatives – I use the term euphemistically – who were only too pleased to write him off once his Hooters habit was discovered? As a matter of personal taste, I would have preferred it if he had been greeted off the 18th on Sunday by a couple of cocktail waitresses. But you can’t have it all."

+1 for your new avatar! Would have been epic if Tom Brady and MJ would have been behind Phelps.

• Like 1

> @mosesgolf said:

> It’s odd how some can see such negativity in tradition and one of the most coveted wins in the golf world. I don’t see it from her perspective in any way and Tiger will let his clubs do all the talking going forward.

Tiger has always let his clubs do the talking, to the tune of 81 wins and 15 majors. I love the Masters tournament, but I'm certainly not a fan of the baggage that goes along with the 'tradition unlike any other'. And 3jacker was correct about Clifford Roberts being a world class word not allowed. Not negativity, just fact.

> @MelloYello said:

> Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

>

> That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

>

> And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

I don't like any of them as commentators, but Faldo is probably the worst commentator in the history of golf. I seriously hope this is trolling.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @bscinstnct said:

> I think her thesis is wrong but this was funny

>

> "How about Woods’s comeback being one in the eye for all those horrendous golfing conservatives – I use the term euphemistically – who were only too pleased to write him off once his Hooters habit was discovered? As a matter of personal taste, I would have preferred it if he had been greeted off the 18th on Sunday by a couple of cocktail waitresses. But you can’t have it all."

I almost said this in The Masters thread Sunday, so I'll say it here. It is rather interesting to note that the first major contested after the death of Dan Jenkins was won by Tiger Woods.

> @"sui generis" said:

> There's a certain truth in this excerpt:

>

> _Even now, there is no more skin-crawling sight in golf than the Green Jacket presentation in the wretched interior of Augusta’s Butler Cabin, a place of staggering charmlessness and aesthetic death. Here, competitors who have achieved sporting triumph have to sit obediently on twee dining chairs while some dreadful commercial real estate lawyer (the chairman) informs them at remorseless length that they have been a “worthy” champion over the past year, or that the club is pleased to confer upon them something they literally just won. (Incidentally, no Masters TV viewer can imagine giving a millionth of a toss what “the club” feels about anything – because the club certainly couldn’t give one about them. Augusta detests ordinary golf fans so much it can barely stand to give them a glimpse of its tournament. The sheer amount of time viewers are expected to spend watching a shrub or listening to birdsong, until they deign to show you some scores or even some actual golf, is the most naked illustration of elite contempt in all of world sport.)_

By a certain truth, I assume you're referencing that the green jacket presentation occurs in the Butler Cabin? The rest is Ms. Hyde's tortured opinion.

I just read it again but can't find any opinion in it just irrefutable facts.

Titleist 818 H2 21*
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1