Your "Go-To" Course Strategies

Ivyguy

Howdy Y'all!

I played in a big get together this past weekend (4 rounds, 8 players) and I played OK, but i didn't score very well.

My pops, who is a good player, told me that i wasn't really golfing but just "hitting shots"... i was a bit taken back, but then i tried to describe my strategy and could not do it...

I have realized that i have never had a strategy. As the Joker said, "I just do things".

While I am still licking my wounds, what are your Go-To strategies on the course?

I'm thinking, if the par 5 is over 550 yards i will be better off hitting a 3 wood off the tee (as a 300 yard drive and a 250 3 wood are not in my arsenal).

These will differ for each player, but I'm trying to get smarter on the course... and you all are the smartest group of people I know.

Not really a strategy, but I just make sure I am picking a reasonable target and taking a moment to properly align my setup to the shot I am going to hit to get there.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I try to always get as close to the hole as I can, without taking undue risks. I try to hit the middle of every green unless I'm within wedge or 9-iron range That it in a nutshell. One good resource for on-course decision-making is a book called Lowest Score Wins.

Take your 550-yard par 5. I can't get there in two shots either. But unless there's a real problem, maybe penalty area or OB or bunkers that cut into the fairway at driver range, I'm hitting driver. I'm not appreciably straighter with my 3-wood, so why should I voluntarily sacrifice distance? Similarly on the second shot, if there's no special reason to play shorter, I'll try to get as close to the green as possible. I'll get closer, on average, with a 50-yard pitch than I sill with a 90-yard full wedge. Now there are all kinds of things that might make me choose a different plan, terrain, nasty rough, penalty areas, green contours, speed, receptiveness, bunkers, all of that has to be considered, but my basic plan is to get as close as possible, and hit the middle of the green.

• Like 1

I approach every shot and say, "where do I NOT want to go here?". I'm a fader and my miss is right, so if there is water right of the fairway, I know to play up the left side. If there is pot bunker left of the green and the right is clear, I know I can be agressive. If I'm between numbers on an approach, I'll pick the club which puts me in a better position long/short. This works for me, but seeing and reacting to possible negative outcomes is not for everybody.

I used to basically just hit whatever club would get me closest to the hole, always. I'm sure that most duffers play this way. I'm 230 yards out, better hit my 3-wood. I'm 180 out in the rough, with an awful lie, ball way below my feet... well, I guess I should play my 190 club.

My scores improved literally overnight by just... not doing that anymore. If I think there's less than, say, a 50% chance of reaching the green, I just play to be 100 yards out. My math is this:

I'm 235 yards out. I can reach that with a really good 3-wood, which I give myself a 5-10% chance of actually happening. There's probably 40% chance I hit a TERRIBLE shot (top, fat, wicked hook), and 40% chance I hit an acceptable shot that's not on the green and maybe not particularly close (say, 35 yards out). Rather than playing that awful gamble, I'm going to instead hit my 135-yard club to get to 100 yards out. I have probably a 90% chance of hitting a good shot with my PW that will put me around 100 yards out. Then there's a similarly good chance that I'll hit my next shot with a wedge somewhere on the green so that I can 2-putt, if not 1-putt.

That small calculus converted those 7's and 8's on par 5's into 4, 5's, and 6's, pretty easily. It's basically the same logic that says that you'll shoot as good, if not better, if you played a full round with just a 7-iron and a putter.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

You live in a world of endless information, use it. For example, Google Earth:

I use it to work on my hole routing before I get to the course so I have a game plan prior to even reaching the course. I know if I played well or not given how close I stayed to my intended plan. Usually my worst rounds are when I decide to use my instincts versus what I logically and methodically created.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Avoid trouble.

I play a lot of tight courses, so staying in-bounds is a key to good scoring. I will take a fairway wood or less off the tee to stay in play, even if it leaves me hitting a 8 or 7i rather than a PW~gap wedge.

Avoid shots I don't like. I prefer hitting a fuller wedge shot than a tricky half wedge shot, so I take that into account on lay-ups. Avoid the chance of going into a fairway bunker 40~70 yards or so short of the flag because those shots SUCK! Also, If I my only chance of getting on the green is to hit a high-flighted fade with a fairway wood off the deck....I don't hit it, because I can't.

It's been said here many times, but the most important thing is to hit the shot you know you can hit, rather than the shot you think you can hit. That's been good advice for me.

It also translates well to practice, because it means finding which shots I know I can hit, and which shots I can't!

> @MaineMariner said:

> I used to basically just hit whatever club would get me closest to the hole, always. I'm sure that most duffers play this way. I'm 230 yards out, better hit my 3-wood. I'm 180 out in the rough, with an awful lie, ball way below my feet... well, I guess I should play my 190 club.

>

> My scores improved literally overnight by just... not doing that anymore. If I think there's less than, say, a 50% chance of reaching the green, I just play to be 100 yards out. My math is this:

>

> I'm 235 yards out. I can reach that with a really good 3-wood, which I give myself a 5-10% chance of actually happening. There's probably 40% chance I hit a TERRIBLE shot (top, fat, wicked hook), and 40% chance I hit an acceptable shot that's not on the green and maybe not particularly close (say, 35 yards out). Rather than playing that awful gamble, I'm going to instead hit my 135-yard club to get to 100 yards out.** I have probably a 90% chance of hitting a good shot with my PW** that will put me around 100 yards out. Then there's a similarly good chance that I'll hit my next shot with a wedge somewhere on the green so that I can 2-putt, if not 1-putt.

>

> That small calculus converted those 7's and 8's on par 5's into 4, 5's, and 6's, pretty easily. It's basically the same logic that says that you'll shoot as good, if not better, if you played a full round with just a 7-iron and a putter.

It might surprise you to know that the average GIR for the PGA Tour, from 100 to 125 yards, is somewhere around 75%. I'm guessing that your estimate, 90% chance of hitting a good pitching wedge to the fairway, and 90% chance of hitting the green, are both a little high. If you drop your chances of success on each shot to 75% (assuming you're on par with an average Tour pro), your chance of hitting two consecutive good shots to hit the green are only about 50-50. I have no problem with the general concept, weight the risks in each shot and make your choice to maximize the benefit while minimizing risks. I just have a quibble with the numbers. Using better numbers might just change the decisions a bit sometimes.

My biggest strategy is that if it would take a hero shot to get on the green (for me, basically anything over 200 yards), I lay up to 80 yards. That is my money lob wedge distance. I try to avoid ever having to hit a 40-60 yard awkward shot if at all possible. If I try to get on from over 200 and don't, I generally end up short siding myself either right or left and have to hit an awkward shot over a bunker. Laying up to 80 yards in the fairway and I generally put it close enough that I can one putt and save par (can, definitely does not always mean it actually happens).

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

my strategy is to eliminate double boogies. I gave up trying to force shots that I don't have. I work on my strengths (which seem to change from time to time) Right now I'm playing to my putting strength.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

These are all great, I have been taking screenshots so I can start this whole "aiming before shooting" thing.

Over the 4 rounds played last weekend, I had 9 holes that were played at 22 over... YIKES! Granted the other 63 were a different story, but those are situations that I didn't find OB, put myself in an awful situation or made a 10 footer for par.

Obviously, I have some technical issues to solve too, but by playing smarter I can cut that 22 over in half (potentially).

Thanks for the recommendations on the books, I will be snagging those, Fo'Sho.

The saddest part is that i was told that i have game, but for an hour long period for each round my technique would leave me... add being a bonehead on top of it and I turned rounds that were aiming for a sub 80 round and turned them into a mid 80 card.

Too much Swashbuckling and not enough thought. Gotta find the happy medium between Phil and Bryson lol.

> @Ferguson said:

> Good thread.

>

> I try to make 4 on every hole. 72 is never a bad score for 18.

> I play 5-par holes in 3 shots.

> I play the percentage shot.

> I really concentrate on speed for birdie putts.

> I deal with what's in front of me.

> I never get food at the turn.

A bit intrigued by your approach Fergie...but then again, you're always intriguing. So playing a 140 yard par 3 and a 540 yard par 5 and you're trying to make 4 on both? I'm thinking you're looking for a 2 and no worse than a 3 with a short iron in hand.

> @SnapHooker_605 said:

> My biggest strategy is that if it would take a hero shot to get on the green (for me, basically anything over 200 yards), I lay up to 80 yards. That is my money lob wedge distance. I try to avoid ever having to hit a 40-60 yard awkward shot if at all possible. If I try to get on from over 200 and don't, I generally end up short siding myself either right or left and have to hit an awkward shot over a bunker. _Laying up to 80 yards in the fairway and I generally put it close enough that I can one putt_ and save par (can, definitely does not always mean it actually happens).

There's a difference between "can" hit it close enough and "generally" hit it close enough. An average PGA Tour player averages around 15 feet, from 75 to 100 yards in the fairway. Those same pros make around 25% from 15 feet. If a PGA Tour pro doesn't "generally hit it close enough" to save par most of the time, you probably don't either. You might try hitting it closer, say 20 or 30 yards, especially if the fairway is still reasonably wide and there are no bunker or water issues in that area. You can avoid the foolish hero shot without laying so far back.

• Like 1

> @davep043 said:

> > @MaineMariner said:

> > I used to basically just hit whatever club would get me closest to the hole, always. I'm sure that most duffers play this way. I'm 230 yards out, better hit my 3-wood. I'm 180 out in the rough, with an awful lie, ball way below my feet... well, I guess I should play my 190 club.

> >

> > My scores improved literally overnight by just... not doing that anymore. If I think there's less than, say, a 50% chance of reaching the green, I just play to be 100 yards out. My math is this:

> >

> > I'm 235 yards out. I can reach that with a really good 3-wood, which I give myself a 5-10% chance of actually happening. There's probably 40% chance I hit a TERRIBLE shot (top, fat, wicked hook), and 40% chance I hit an acceptable shot that's not on the green and maybe not particularly close (say, 35 yards out). Rather than playing that awful gamble, I'm going to instead hit my 135-yard club to get to 100 yards out.** I have probably a 90% chance of hitting a good shot with my PW** that will put me around 100 yards out. Then there's a similarly good chance that I'll hit my next shot with a wedge somewhere on the green so that I can 2-putt, if not 1-putt.

> >

> > That small calculus converted those 7's and 8's on par 5's into 4, 5's, and 6's, pretty easily. It's basically the same logic that says that you'll shoot as good, if not better, if you played a full round with just a 7-iron and a putter.

>

> It might surprise you to know that the average GIR for the PGA Tour, from 100 to 125 yards, is somewhere around 75%. I'm guessing that your estimate, 90% chance of hitting a good pitching wedge to the fairway, and 90% chance of hitting the green, are both a little high. If you drop your chances of success on each shot to 75% (assuming you're on par with an average Tour pro), your chance of hitting two consecutive good shots to hit the green are only about 50-50. I have no problem with the general concept, weight the risks in each shot and make your choice to maximize the benefit while minimizing risks. I just have a quibble with the numbers. Using better numbers might just change the decisions a bit sometimes.

Hey, don't harsh my buzz!

Seriously, though, you have a good point. I'm being optimistic with my numbers, but the general concept (in my head), as you point out, is that I'm more likely to string together two higher percentage shots than I am one low percentage shot.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

> @MaineMariner said:

> I used to basically just hit whatever club would get me closest to the hole, always. I'm sure that most duffers play this way. I'm 230 yards out, better hit my 3-wood. I'm 180 out in the rough, with an awful lie, ball way below my feet... well, I guess I should play my 190 club.

>

> My scores improved literally overnight by just... not doing that anymore. If I think there's less than, say, a 50% chance of reaching the green, I just play to be 100 yards out. My math is this:

>

> I'm 235 yards out. I can reach that with a really good 3-wood, which I give myself a 5-10% chance of actually happening. There's probably 40% chance I hit a TERRIBLE shot (top, fat, wicked hook), and 40% chance I hit an acceptable shot that's not on the green and maybe not particularly close (say, 35 yards out). Rather than playing that awful gamble, I'm going to instead hit my 135-yard club to get to 100 yards out. I have probably a 90% chance of hitting a good shot with my PW that will put me around 100 yards out. Then there's a similarly good chance that I'll hit my next shot with a wedge somewhere on the green so that I can 2-putt, if not 1-putt.

>

> That small calculus converted those 7's and 8's on par 5's into 4, 5's, and 6's, pretty easily. It's basically the same logic that says that you'll shoot as good, if not better, if you played a full round with just a 7-iron and a putter.

Thanks for your post MM. Your thought process is exactly what I think about during the week, but on the course it all goes away. I guess my warped thinking is I have a better chance of getting home with one 3 wood than two irons; this, despite the fact I generally hit my irons better than my 3 wood. I'm also planning better before I tee up. Can't tell you how many times I've teed up with no idea if it's a par four or five, where the hazards are to avoid, etc. Ridiculous.

I really like Scott Fawcett's stuff on this. There's a video on youtube that covers the numbers for driver, but the gist of it is go check out Google Earth before you play. If there are 65 yards between penalty hazards, then check how far it is between bunkers and tree canopies. If that's at least 40 yards, hit driver. If it's not, and if 3 wood leaves you with 40 yards between canopies/bunkers, hit 3 wood. If it doesn't, hit driver. If it's less than 65 yards between penalty hazards, then come down until you hit a club you know you can hit between those penalty hazards.

Basically it's hit a lot of drivers. Aim such that your shot pattern will wind up 95% of the time on the golf course and 60% of the time with a clear shot from grass. For the most part, forget about the flag. Aim for the middle of the green and if you are playing a hole with water or OB close to the green, you may potentially want to aim at or off the other edge of the green away from the trouble.

Last one is don't compound errors. If you hit it in the woods off the tee, get it out is first priority. Don't try to play the hero shot and bring double or worse into play. You're allowed to hit bad shots, but do whatever you can to stop hitting two bad shots in a row. And definitely don't follow a bad shot with a stupid one.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

i’m going to hang around this thread i like where it’s heading. i posted 2 good scores the past week a 79 and a 81 the 79 came first on a warmer afternoon that had rained the onight before. balls were sticking to the green, i played out of my comfort by going for it on the first hole a par 5 with a tee shot sitting out like 250 and about 220 to the green across a lake. if you lay up and hit up the lake you are about 140. i went for which i never do, it landed about 20 feet from the pin like a rocket, bounced up and landed 5 feet and stopped from the original mark. i sunk the put and played aggressive from there out it was just my dad, made a eagle putt for my first time ever and a super weird par 5 and until this day i never thought about trying to clear trees to go for the green, anyway hit my 3 hybrid just because i know i can get it air born vs 3 wood, all i knew about the shot was i had to hit 200 to the center as i was sitting at the 200 marker. i walked up the hill like 40 yards and i saw the pin and how clear it was that this was always the shot but never thought to try and clear a 100 foot wide forest to get there. anyway i made eagle there.

kinda got off topic but my opinion for getting around the course is if you believe in yourself that day more then usual and hit an inspiring shot somewhere keep getting after it. it’s only a game and you will be able to play tomorrow and try again. it’s always a possibility to chunk your shot to where you want to lay up then if you were going to go for.

my 81 i played the same way and went for it all day, got ruined on the front one par 4, 3, and a 5 that i think my ball is still in the fairway just think it sunk in. the back 9 i still went for it and shot 2 over with another chance at eagle. confidence is key for me and i can’t wait to get out again to see what type of game i will play that day, strategic or out of my shoes.

kttlkombbsql.png

hdfreg4e04nx.png

> @GolfChannel said:

> You live in a world of endless information, use it. For example, Google Earth:

>

> I use it to work on my hole routing before I get to the course so I have a game plan prior to even reaching the course. I know if I played well or not given how close I stayed to my intended plan. Usually my worst rounds are when I decide to use my instincts versus what I logically and methodically created.

Bluegolf is better, I'd think, and the courses are loaded on the website.

6 months ago I added Arccos for tracking shot data and it's been really helpful. You know factually how far you hit each club, what's the max you've gotten out of it and their algorithm tell you the most likely distance. It's great pre-round to have an idea of what you should be doing on each hole and like someone else mentioned, nothing wrong with Google maps, too.

• Like 1

> @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > You live in a world of endless information, use it. For example, Google Earth:

> >

> > I use it to work on my hole routing before I get to the course so I have a game plan prior to even reaching the course. I know if I played well or not given how close I stayed to my intended plan. Usually my worst rounds are when I decide to use my instincts versus what I logically and methodically created.

> Bluegolf is better, I'd think, and the courses are loaded on the website.

>

Never heard of it, but if the reviews are any indication I’ll stick with Google Earth which has far more Golf functionality if you’re technologically savvy. You can also use one of the many golf apps (18Birdies) and just do a virtual round and delete it so it doesn’t apply to your statistics.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

My introduction to course strategy was some thirty years ago when I had the fortune to play

Royal Melbourne West Course with an ex pro. golfer who took an interest in golf course designs . Prior to this I realised I used to just ‘hit shots’.

He explained why the designer Dr. Alister MacKenzie designed each hole the way it was and how it was meant to be played dependant on pin placement. A lesson worth a thousand pictures. Naturally the modern ball has changed this UNLESS your a hacker like me who still has trouble hitting as far as scratch golfers did fifty years ago.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > You live in a world of endless information, use it. For example, Google Earth:

> > >

> > > I use it to work on my hole routing before I get to the course so I have a game plan prior to even reaching the course. I know if I played well or not given how close I stayed to my intended plan. Usually my worst rounds are when I decide to use my instincts versus what I logically and methodically created.

> > Bluegolf is better, I'd think, and the courses are loaded on the website.

> >

>

> Never heard of it, but if the reviews are any indication I’ll stick with Google Earth which has far more Golf functionality if you’re technologically savvy. You can also use one of the many golf apps (18Birdies) and just do a virtual round and delete it so it doesn’t apply to your statistics.

Never occurred to me to use Google Earth for golf purposes. I'll check it out. Thanks GC.

Course strategy = Red light, yellow light, green light. And not just on shots to the green.

If I couldn't possibly get TO a par 5, I used to lay up to a full wedge or 9 thinking that would give me the best shot at a birdie.

On these very pages, about 8 months or so ago, I was told that as a low single digit I should be trying to get as close to the green as possible with my 2nd shot, assuming of course there wasn't any serious trouble (other than a bunker) between myself and the green, and the birdie opportunities (and therefore successes of course) would be more plentiful.

I figured it was worth a try.

It was true. That is EXACTLY what has happened.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Ivyguy said:

> Howdy Y'all!

>

> I played in a big get together this past weekend (4 rounds, 8 players) and I played OK, but i didn't score very well.

>

> My pops, who is a good player, told me that i wasn't really golfing but just "hitting shots"... i was a bit taken back, but then i tried to describe my strategy and could not do it...

>

> I have realized that i have never had a strategy. As the Joker said, "I just do things".

>

> While I am still licking my wounds, what are your Go-To strategies on the course?

>

> I'm thinking, if the par 5 is over 550 yards i will be better off hitting a 3 wood off the tee (as a 300 yard drive and a 250 3 wood are not in my arsenal).

>

> These will differ for each player, but I'm trying to get smarter on the course... and you all are the smartest group of people I know.

I'm in the same boat as you OP. I basically show up at the golf course, and I take it one shot at a time. I don't even think about my next shot until I get up to the ball, and even then I'm not thinking about it too hard.

Watching Tiger Woods dissect that back 9 on Sunday at the Masters really made me re-think how I need to approach this game. Everything was so strategic with how he played, and he knew how he was going to play every shot on that course before he teed off. I really appreciated how he tackled that back nine, as it couldn't have been more polar opposite of my game. I didn't even fully realize I did this until this past Sunday.

Going forward, I'm going to learn my golf game inside and out. I'm going to play out each hole in my head prior to teeing off. I'm going to analyze every potential consequence of each shot I take, and use that information to strategically plan the placement of each stroke, knowing what will happen if I pure it or mishit it, if I hit it long or shot, left or right of my intended placement.

My ball striking is decent, but my strategy (or lack thereof) is really hurting my game. I want to change that this year.

I think a lot depends on what type of shots I'm hitting that day. I'm still an amateur at the end of the day. I know my course very well and where the problems are. At 6700 yes there's lots of options to hit drivers and and 3 woods....there's a lot of angled greens so if your iron play is a little off you might want to take less chances. If I'm really on I'll take more chances.

I think there's few holes that I'll really play the same way every time. They have to be pretty bad, boring holes if so .

I might hit driver on a 350yd par 4 if I'm feeling good, the next day if I'm playing the same hole and hitting driver poorly, I might hit hybrid or even iron.

I try to play smart golf but I don't have a strategy ahead of time. I develop it as I go

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Ferguson said:

> Good thread.

>

> I try to make 4 on every hole. 72 is never a bad score for 18.

> I play 5-par holes in 3 shots.

> I play the percentage shot.

> I really concentrate on speed for birdie putts.

> I deal with what's in front of me.

> I never get food at the turn.

Good strategy, similar to mine.

Keep the ball in front of me, lay up on par 5's 85% of the time or more, avoid 3 putts and hazards.

About the food, though: I always bring a snack for the turn. Carne Seca, macadamia, pecans or a protein bar. Water bottle with BCAA or electrolyte drink. I live in the desert, hydration is key. Don't eat crappy food while playing.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20