A Different Take on Tiger Woods' Masters Victory - 'Revenge'

archer1

> @bladehunter said:

> Wow. It’s as if she read my mind.

>

> No shocker to most. I’m the oddball. I agree with her 99.9%.

>

> The butler cabin bit is old and tired. But. I can stomach it once a year for tradition vs some new , worse , nonsense.

>

> Other wise I agree completely. And tiger gave clues that it was a bit of revenge. Or at least not “ salvation “.

>

> In the presser afterwards some member of the media asks him “ why didn’t you tell us tiger. “ speaking of his back issues , ( severity) before the fusion. His response “ no. I just .... no. “. And stone stared the person down. As of to say “ F you , I’ll never trust or open up when I’m down again “.

>

> If you don’t think this has been about putting a middle finger in the face of doubters , critics , judgement filled hypocrites etc you’re nuts. Him ending on top and taking jacks record will be the biggest middle finger ever rolled up in this sport.

> I’m born and raised in the Deep South. I hear , I see I know that what this lady writes about is still real today.

Well said and 100% on point.

Whatever Tiger uses for motivation, real or imagined, is probably not what this pompous, self-righteous, delusional twit thinks it is. Could it be? sure. Competitors like Tiger, most great athletes, look for any source of motivation to keep them focused on winning. Tom Brady did it with deflate-gate or whatever else he can find to continue his fight against the hand that feeds him. It's really nothing more than self-psychology. I mean I think most people do it to some degree, whether it's your boss at work or they guy in your golf league who did something questionable after work the other day.

This article is really nothing more than someone screaming for attention when they have no real clue what they are talking about.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @bscinstnct said:

> I think her thesis is wrong but this was funny

>

> "How about Woods’s comeback being one in the eye for all those horrendous golfing conservatives – I use the term euphemistically – who were only too pleased to write him off once his Hooters habit was discovered? As a matter of personal taste, I would have preferred it if he had been greeted off the 18th on Sunday by a couple of cocktail waitresses. But you can’t have it all."

IMO, it says something about the author as a person that her "personal taste" is to disdain Tiger being greeted on the 18th by his children, mother and girlfriend, and to root for Tiger to assume the mantle of antihero. It's fine to attack the Masters traditions, Augusta National can take the heat, but what's the point of calling Ridley "some dreadful commercial real estate lawyer"? I'm sure she's doing it to be flippant, but it cheapens her message, to the extent there is one.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

> >

> > That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

> >

> > And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

>

> I don't like any of them as commentators, but Faldo is probably the worst commentator in the history of golf. I seriously hope this is trolling.

A relatively young guy with a handful of majors and an English wit?

If you don't dig him, golf might not be for you bud.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @bladehunter said:

> I’m born and raised in the Deep South. I hear , I see I know that what this lady writes about is still real today.

Man, straight up...some of the best of this country and some of the worst--people, places...everything.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

> > >

> > > That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

> > >

> > > And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

> >

> > I don't like any of them as commentators, but Faldo is probably the worst commentator in the history of golf. I seriously hope this is trolling.

>

> A relatively young guy with a handful of majors and an English wit?

>

> If you don't dig him, golf might not be for you bud.

Faldo was my idol. I acted like an idiot nervous fanboy the first time I got to meet him when I worked at the Golf Channel. I still stand by my opinion, he is a horrible commentator (though Zinger is giving him a run for his money to be the worst).

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @dropkicked said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Well, I'm sure all the Tiger Woods fans the OP was hoping to lure by saying she's a huge Tiger Woods fan will feel just a little cheated, lol.

> >

> >

>

> LoL.. bud, you take every opportunity you can to needle fan's who openly support Tiger...

Key word = "needle"! Know lots of great Tiger fans on here and they've got tremendous senses of humor! Don't have time for either the Tiger haters or the must love anything and everything about Tiger or you suck folks, but that's usually just noise more than anything, they just ramp up whenever there is word he went to the bathroom under his own power. ;-) We all have our favorites.

Taken a lot of grief on here for defending Tiger (a lot) over the years - whether its in relation to Chamblee's cheap shots and advancing his career taking after Tiger from 2009 until pretty much the last very few years because he sensed he better change his narrative (Chamblee was vicious when Tiger was having his "troubles" physical and mental, plus the cheating crap Brandel ended up having to apologize for), defending Tiger's drop on 15 (a topic not for the faint of heart on here, lol), believing his personal life is his business, you name it. Have a dyed in the wool Tiger fan for an oldest daughter, supported her in that - we all spent a week at Hazeltine in 2009 so she could see him win the PGA (damn) - she also enjoyed meeting a young Rory, lol.

Anyway, he's kind of a complicated, enigmatic guy - brings out all sorts of interesting reactions.

• Like 1

> @dropkicked said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @"Birdie Mac" said:

> > > Honestly, I wish Billy Payne had been in Butler Cabin for the ceremony. After that gratuitous dressing down he gave Tiger several years back, I'm sure Tiger would have gotten some less than guilty pleasure out of coming out on top again. Talk about glass houses.

> >

> > Billy said enough and hardly went too far.

> >

> > LOL, I doubt even Tiger will ever be dumb enough from a PR perspective (well, he still has Steiny) to suggest anyone that criticized him in '09, '10 for some obvious reasons had a comeuppance headed their way, especially Augusta National.

> >

> > Putting anything that happened over the weekend in juxtaposition with his personal issues is probably the wrong approach. LOL, 9 + years later and you are looking for payback because Billy may have hurt Tiger's feelings (or yours)? Wrong tack to take.

>

> 9+ years later you guys are still talking about his personal issues? You should all let it go.. I am certain many of you float while you pontificate because of your saintly nature..

Pretty sure what you just quoted while taking me to task was me saying his personal issues should be kept out of the narrative. ;-)

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

> > > >

> > > > That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

> > > >

> > > > And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

> > >

> > > I don't like any of them as commentators, but Faldo is probably the worst commentator in the history of golf. I seriously hope this is trolling.

> >

> > A relatively young guy with a handful of majors and an English wit?

> >

> > If you don't dig him, golf might not be for you bud.

>

> Faldo was my idol. I acted like an idiot nervous fanboy the first time I got to meet him when I worked at the Golf Channel. I still stand by my opinion, he is a horrible commentator (though Zinger is giving him a run for his money to be the worst).

I think he's great, just awkward - I didn't get to meet him, but almost - we were walking up the path leaving the par 3 course after putting out our chairs in the morning at The Masters 3 years ago and he was coming down the hill toward us but over a ways, inside the rope - just me and my daughter and him and a lady who seemed like a nice person - I said, in a friendly way, "Sir Nick Faldo" thinking he might say hello and walk about 15 feet over or just say hi - he looked at us with some kind of almost frightened expression and then just kept walking - my daughter and I just laughed as we walked. It was a little odd, lol.

He has a lot of great insights in and around some of the goofy stuff he says.

Although I like him more as a panelist kind of guy, the person who is simply brilliant just about every time I hear him is Colin Montgomerie.

> @"sui generis" said:

> There's a certain truth in this excerpt:

>

> _Even now, there is no more skin-crawling sight in golf than the Green Jacket presentation in the wretched interior of Augusta’s Butler Cabin, a place of staggering charmlessness and aesthetic death. Here, competitors who have achieved sporting triumph have to sit obediently on twee dining chairs while some dreadful commercial real estate lawyer (the chairman) informs them at remorseless length that they have been a “worthy” champion over the past year, or that the club is pleased to confer upon them something they literally just won. (Incidentally, no Masters TV viewer can imagine giving a millionth of a toss what “the club” feels about anything – because the club certainly couldn’t give one about them. Augusta detests ordinary golf fans so much it can barely stand to give them a glimpse of its tournament. The sheer amount of time viewers are expected to spend watching a shrub or listening to birdsong, until they deign to show you some scores or even some actual golf, is the most naked illustration of elite contempt in all of world sport.)_

There is little truth in that excerpt; only opinionated, negative and tasteless hyperbole.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @dropkicked said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > Well, I'm sure all the Tiger Woods fans the OP was hoping to lure by saying she's a huge Tiger Woods fan will feel just a little cheated, lol.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > LoL.. bud, you take every opportunity you can to needle fan's who openly support Tiger...

>

> Key word = "needle"! Know lots of great Tiger fans on here and they've got tremendous senses of humor! Don't have time for either the Tiger haters or the must love anything and everything about Tiger or you suck folks, but that's usually just noise more than anything, they just ramp up whenever there is word he went to the bathroom under his own power. ;-) We all have our favorites.

>

> Taken a lot of grief on here for defending Tiger (a lot) over the years - whether its in relation to Chamblee's cheap shots and advancing his career taking after Tiger from 2009 until pretty much the last very few years because he sensed he better change his narrative (Chamblee was vicious when Tiger was having his "troubles" physical and mental, plus the cheating **** Brandel ended up having to apologize for), defending Tiger's drop on 15 (a topic not for the faint of heart on here, lol), believing his personal life is his business, you name it. Have a dyed in the wool Tiger fan for an oldest daughter, supported her in that - we all spent a week at Hazeltine in 2009 so she could see him win the PGA (****) - she also enjoyed meeting a young Rory, lol.

>

> Anyway, he's kind of a complicated, enigmatic guy - brings out all sorts of interesting reactions.

>

>

>

>

Simply an observation. Thanks for reply. I'm guessing scar tissue. :)

Your last sentence is spot on.

Titleist....

Tiger's first win at Augusta was iconic. One of the truly great sports stories of the ages.

I highly doubt he's harboring some secret hatred towards that place or the membership there. He didn't win out of anger or malice or revenge, he won because he played better than anyone else - something he's being trying to do for a decade now and it finally came together for him.

What a bunch of drivel and hyperbole that article is. So bad it made me wince to read it. It certainly is more opinion than fact - the line about the waitresses being just one example. The best thing about it was it was short.

If Tiger or any other pros find the green jacket ceremony distasteful, they're free to skip it. From what I've seen on tv, they all seem to like it. REALLY like it. Sure it's old-fashioned and stuffy and awkward - that's part of sticking to tradition and part of its charm. Not everything gets better by being modernized. That claret jug is a pretty small trophy, when you think about it, but I don't see it being replaced with something bigger or flashier any time soon.....

> @bladehunter said:

> Wow. It’s as if she read my mind.

>

> No shocker to most. I’m the oddball. I agree with her 99.9%.

>

> The butler cabin bit is old and tired. But. I can stomach it once a year for tradition vs some new , worse , nonsense.

>

> Other wise I agree completely. And tiger gave clues that it was a bit of revenge. Or at least not “ salvation “.

>

> In the presser afterwards some member of the media asks him “ why didn’t you tell us tiger. “ speaking of his back issues , ( severity) before the fusion. His response “ no. I just .... no. “. And stone stared the person down. As of to say “ F you , I’ll never trust or open up when I’m down again “.

>

> If you don’t think this has been about putting a middle finger in the face of doubters , critics , judgement filled hypocrites etc you’re nuts. Him ending on top and taking jacks record will be the biggest middle finger ever rolled up in this sport.

Well, I hope you are wrong. It would make him much smaller than I believe him to be.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

> > > > >

> > > > > That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

> > > > >

> > > > > And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

> > > >

> > > > I don't like any of them as commentators, but Faldo is probably the worst commentator in the history of golf. I seriously hope this is trolling.

> > >

> > > A relatively young guy with a handful of majors and an English wit?

> > >

> > > If you don't dig him, golf might not be for you bud.

> >

> > Faldo was my idol. I acted like an idiot nervous fanboy the first time I got to meet him when I worked at the Golf Channel. I still stand by my opinion, he is a horrible commentator (though Zinger is giving him a run for his money to be the worst).

>

> I think he's great, just awkward - I didn't get to meet him, but almost - we were walking up the path leaving the par 3 course after putting out our chairs in the morning at The Masters 3 years ago and he was coming down the hill toward us but over a ways, inside the rope - just me and my daughter and him and a lady who seemed like a nice person - I said, in a friendly way, "Sir Nick Faldo" thinking he might say hello and walk about 15 feet over or just say hi - he looked at us with some kind of almost frightened expression and then just kept walking - my daughter and I just laughed as we walked. It was a little odd, lol.

>

> He has a lot of great insights in and around some of the goofy stuff he says.

>

> Although I like him more as a panelist kind of guy, the person who is simply brilliant just about every time I hear him is Colin Montgomerie.

Re: he looked at us with some kind of almost frightened expression and then just kept walking.

Perhaps it was your "kiss my bass" golf shirt.

Welp, I’m a little dumber after reading that.

No politics on WRX makes it hard to comment on the article in which the author clearly exposes her own political leanings.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I liked it and agreed with it, all except for ".....until they deign to show you some scores or even some actual golf, is the most naked illustration of elite contempt in all of world sport."

Augusta actually deserves credit for the amount of actual golf they show and how accessible they make it via their online broadcasts, and their history of innovation there. At least in the last decade or so.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

> @Ferguson said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > > Yeah, I definitely get it. In 2019, the stuffy, low-energy way that ANGC chooses to present itself can easily seem dense and even downright pompous.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That whole Butler Cabin thing is just awkward AF.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And IMHO it's about time Jim Nantz got put out to pasture. I find the Miller/Faldo types entertaining. To me, so many of these commentators like Nantz are just unnatural and annoying.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't like any of them as commentators, but Faldo is probably the worst commentator in the history of golf. I seriously hope this is trolling.

> > > >

> > > > A relatively young guy with a handful of majors and an English wit?

> > > >

> > > > If you don't dig him, golf might not be for you bud.

> > >

> > > Faldo was my idol. I acted like an idiot nervous fanboy the first time I got to meet him when I worked at the Golf Channel. I still stand by my opinion, he is a horrible commentator (though Zinger is giving him a run for his money to be the worst).

> >

> > I think he's great, just awkward - I didn't get to meet him, but almost - we were walking up the path leaving the par 3 course after putting out our chairs in the morning at The Masters 3 years ago and he was coming down the hill toward us but over a ways, inside the rope - just me and my daughter and him and a lady who seemed like a nice person - I said, in a friendly way, "Sir Nick Faldo" thinking he might say hello and walk about 15 feet over or just say hi - he looked at us with some kind of almost frightened expression and then just kept walking - my daughter and I just laughed as we walked. It was a little odd, lol.

> >

> > He has a lot of great insights in and around some of the goofy stuff he says.

> >

> > Although I like him more as a panelist kind of guy, the person who is simply brilliant just about every time I hear him is Colin Montgomerie.

>

> Re: he looked at us with some kind of almost frightened expression and then just kept walking.

>

> Perhaps it was your "kiss my bass" golf shirt.

>

LOL! Had to hide it just to get in the parking lot!

• Like 1