Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

S vs. S+ vs X Flexes

CardsChamps11CardsChamps11 Members Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been answered before and I could only find a comparison of different shafts not the same shaft.

How much difference will someone notice from Stiff to Stiff Plus to X-Stiff. The reason I ask is I am currently playing a set of S-Tapers in X-Flex. I swing 95 mph with a 7 iron but it sometimes feels a touch rigid. I assume that means I am not loading the shaft correctly on all my swings. So would I notice any difference if I dropped to a Stiff Plus or Stiff flex in the same shaft?

Comments

• Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

best bet would be to hit up a shop that can put a demo together for you in your desired head and shaft - then go hit some balls. See what you think. That is what Ive done. G luck.

M5 - UST V2 6f5
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • jshuffjshuff Members Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

The main difference I’ve noted is height of my shots. I’ve played KBS Tours in X (soft stepped), S+ and S and the height has increased as I went softer. Also, when I got down to S I also lost more shots to the left. I agree with Lord Helmet, find a local club fitter to test it with.

• CardsChamps11CardsChamps11 Members Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jshuff said:
    The main difference I’ve noted is height of my shots. I’ve played KBS Tours in X (soft stepped), S+ and S and the height has increased as I went softer. Also, when I got down to S I also lost more shots to the left. I agree with Lord Helmet, find a local club fitter to test it with.

Did they feel "softer" or did the feel not change?

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lord Helmet said:
    best bet would be to hit up a shop that can put a demo together for you in your desired head and shaft - then go hit some balls. See what you think. That is what Ive done. G luck.

What were you looking for when you did the fitting? What were the results? I love a good fitting description

• burns9304burns9304 Members Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭

The thing I notice the most in shafts that have the designations of S, S+ and X (KBS Tour, C-Taper) is the change in the weight. I notice the 10 grams weight difference from S to X way more than stiffness of the shaft.

I'm at the same speed as you are on the 7 iron, but to me it sounds more like you have a shaft profile that just doesn't fit your swing. Most people say the Nippon Modus 120 X play soft but I can just never feel it load in my swing, but I have no problem loading a Project X 7.0. That's more of the route I would look at if I was in your situation.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* Graphite Design Tour IZ 6
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Graphite Design Tour IZ 7
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Graphite Design Tour IZ 95
    Callaway X Forged UT H 24* Graphite Design Tour DI 95
    Callaway Apex Pro DOT 5-PW Oban CT-115 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 54*M, 60*M Shimada Tour Wedge
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow DASS
  • SuperBombinSuperBombin Members Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I have s taper x and my 7 iron is 98-100 topping at 105 if I go at it hard. I tried modus 120x and it felt like a wet noodle but somehow stable. I get along better with s taper x and I also tried the stiff as well and I notice the weight difference but I like the heavier feel to slow me down a bit.

• jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX Posts: 2,197 ClubWRX

@burns9304 said:
    The thing I notice the most in shafts that have the designations of S, S+ and X (KBS Tour, C-Taper) is the change in the weight. I notice the 10 grams weight difference from S to X way more than stiffness of the shaft.

I'm at the same speed as you are on the 7 iron, but to me it sounds more like you have a shaft profile that just doesn't fit your swing. Most people say the Nippon Modus 120 X play soft but I can just never feel it load in my swing, but I have no problem loading a Project X 7.0. That's more of the route I would look at if I was in your situation.

Yep, the different weight increments are the biggest thing I notice also. On paper, I fit into C-Taper S (120g), but from a weight perspective I fit far more comfortably into S+ at 125g, even though I can tell it's more stiff.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BB28403 said:

@Lord Helmet said:

What were you looking for when you did the fitting? What were the results? I love a good fitting description

I dont get properly fit that much. I usually just go in and see if there is anything that can beat my current setup. This year it was drivers and fairways. The guys at Miles of Golf are great about allowing me to demo a club if I want to - to hit on the range, etc. then I go from there. For example, I know project X shafts work for me in my irons, so no matter what, I try to hit anything new with the PX shaft. I know that typically, anything Fujikura or UST jives with me in driver and fairway. The oddball in my set is the Tmb 3i. I demo'ed that last year at an event (Miles of Golf) with the DG AMT White s300 and loved it - got good data, and went with it. Sorry Im not more help. I also tend to absolutely suck when on a monitor and knowing data is being recorded - evaluated. I get stage fright.

M5 - UST V2 6f5
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lord Helmet said:

@BB28403 said:

@Lord Helmet said:

I dont get properly fit that much. I usually just go in and see if there is anything that can beat my current setup. This year it was drivers and fairways. The guys at Miles of Golf are great about allowing me to demo a club if I want to - to hit on the range, etc. then I go from there. For example, I know project X shafts work for me in my irons, so no matter what, I try to hit anything new with the PX shaft. I know that typically, anything Fujikura or UST jives with me in driver and fairway. The oddball in my set is the Tmb 3i. I demo'ed that last year at an event (Miles of Golf) with the DG AMT White s300 and loved it - got good data, and went with it. Sorry Im not more help. I also tend to absolutely suck when on a monitor and knowing data is being recorded - evaluated. I get stage fright.

I feel you man! I myself have not been on the monitors much either. Just old school Range time! I have been working on getting nervous in person, the vision 54 mental stuff helps a lot. You have to get your focus away from what others may be thinking about you and more into what you are doing, shot shape, Target.
    That’s stuff that has helped me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file