GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

S vs. S+ vs X Flexes

 CardsChamps11 ·  
CardsChamps11CardsChamps11 Members  682WRX Points: 145Posts: 682 Golden Tee
Joined:  in WRX Club Techs #1

I'm sure this has been answered before and I could only find a comparison of different shafts not the same shaft.

How much difference will someone notice from Stiff to Stiff Plus to X-Stiff. The reason I ask is I am currently playing a set of S-Tapers in X-Flex. I swing 95 mph with a 7 iron but it sometimes feels a touch rigid. I assume that means I am not loading the shaft correctly on all my swings. So would I notice any difference if I dropped to a Stiff Plus or Stiff flex in the same shaft?

Posted:
1

Comments

  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members  8783WRX Points: 305Posts: 8,783 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2

    best bet would be to hit up a shop that can put a demo together for you in your desired head and shaft - then go hit some balls. See what you think. That is what Ive done. G luck.

    Posted:
    M5 - UST V2 6f5
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jshuffjshuff Members  113WRX Points: 83Posts: 113 Fairways
    Joined:  #3

    The main difference I’ve noted is height of my shots. I’ve played KBS Tours in X (soft stepped), S+ and S and the height has increased as I went softer. Also, when I got down to S I also lost more shots to the left. I agree with Lord Helmet, find a local club fitter to test it with.

    Posted:
  • CardsChamps11CardsChamps11 Members  682WRX Points: 145Posts: 682 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #4

    On -, @jshuff said:

    The main difference I’ve noted is height of my shots. I’ve played KBS Tours in X (soft stepped), S+ and S and the height has increased as I went softer. Also, when I got down to S I also lost more shots to the left. I agree with Lord Helmet, find a local club fitter to test it with.

    Did they feel "softer" or did the feel not change?

    Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4519WRX Points: 898Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,519 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    On -, @Lord Helmet said:

    best bet would be to hit up a shop that can put a demo together for you in your desired head and shaft - then go hit some balls. See what you think. That is what Ive done. G luck.

    What were you looking for when you did the fitting? What were the results? I love a good fitting description

    Posted:
  • burns9304burns9304 Members  368WRX Points: 105Posts: 368 Greens
    Joined:  #6

    The thing I notice the most in shafts that have the designations of S, S+ and X (KBS Tour, C-Taper) is the change in the weight. I notice the 10 grams weight difference from S to X way more than stiffness of the shaft.

    I'm at the same speed as you are on the 7 iron, but to me it sounds more like you have a shaft profile that just doesn't fit your swing. Most people say the Nippon Modus 120 X play soft but I can just never feel it load in my swing, but I have no problem loading a Project X 7.0. That's more of the route I would look at if I was in your situation.

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* Graphite Design Tour IZ 6
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Graphite Design Tour IZ 7
    PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* Project X HC1
    PXG 0311T Gen 3 Dynamic Gold 120
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 55*M, 60*M Shimada Tour Wedge
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow DASS
  • SuperBombinSuperBombin Members  228WRX Points: 113Posts: 228 Fairways
    Joined:  #7

    I have s taper x and my 7 iron is 98-100 topping at 105 if I go at it hard. I tried modus 120x and it felt like a wet noodle but somehow stable. I get along better with s taper x and I also tried the stiff as well and I notice the weight difference but I like the heavier feel to slow me down a bit.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX  2391WRX Points: 688Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,391 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @burns9304 said:

    The thing I notice the most in shafts that have the designations of S, S+ and X (KBS Tour, C-Taper) is the change in the weight. I notice the 10 grams weight difference from S to X way more than stiffness of the shaft.

    I'm at the same speed as you are on the 7 iron, but to me it sounds more like you have a shaft profile that just doesn't fit your swing. Most people say the Nippon Modus 120 X play soft but I can just never feel it load in my swing, but I have no problem loading a Project X 7.0. That's more of the route I would look at if I was in your situation.

    Yep, the different weight increments are the biggest thing I notice also. On paper, I fit into C-Taper S (120g), but from a weight perspective I fit far more comfortably into S+ at 125g, even though I can tell it's more stiff.

    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 3, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade P750 4-PW, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy JDay Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

    jll62's WITB
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members  8783WRX Points: 305Posts: 8,783 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @BB28403 said:

    On -, @Lord Helmet said:

    best bet would be to hit up a shop that can put a demo together for you in your desired head and shaft - then go hit some balls. See what you think. That is what Ive done. G luck.

    What were you looking for when you did the fitting? What were the results? I love a good fitting description

    I dont get properly fit that much. I usually just go in and see if there is anything that can beat my current setup. This year it was drivers and fairways. The guys at Miles of Golf are great about allowing me to demo a club if I want to - to hit on the range, etc. then I go from there. For example, I know project X shafts work for me in my irons, so no matter what, I try to hit anything new with the PX shaft. I know that typically, anything Fujikura or UST jives with me in driver and fairway. The oddball in my set is the Tmb 3i. I demo'ed that last year at an event (Miles of Golf) with the DG AMT White s300 and loved it - got good data, and went with it. Sorry Im not more help. I also tend to absolutely suck when on a monitor and knowing data is being recorded - evaluated. I get stage fright.

    Posted:
    M5 - UST V2 6f5
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4519WRX Points: 898Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,519 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10

    On -, @Lord Helmet said:

    On -, @BB28403 said:

    On -, @Lord Helmet said:

    best bet would be to hit up a shop that can put a demo together for you in your desired head and shaft - then go hit some balls. See what you think. That is what Ive done. G luck.

    What were you looking for when you did the fitting? What were the results? I love a good fitting description

    I dont get properly fit that much. I usually just go in and see if there is anything that can beat my current setup. This year it was drivers and fairways. The guys at Miles of Golf are great about allowing me to demo a club if I want to - to hit on the range, etc. then I go from there. For example, I know project X shafts work for me in my irons, so no matter what, I try to hit anything new with the PX shaft. I know that typically, anything Fujikura or UST jives with me in driver and fairway. The oddball in my set is the Tmb 3i. I demo'ed that last year at an event (Miles of Golf) with the DG AMT White s300 and loved it - got good data, and went with it. Sorry Im not more help. I also tend to absolutely suck when on a monitor and knowing data is being recorded - evaluated. I get stage fright.

    I feel you man! I myself have not been on the monitors much either. Just old school Range time! I have been working on getting nervous in person, the vision 54 mental stuff helps a lot. You have to get your focus away from what others may be thinking about you and more into what you are doing, shot shape, Target.
    That’s stuff that has helped me.

    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.