2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New TP5 and TP5X

jwb10

Still cant decide if it is worth it to pay an extra $10 a dozen for the '19 TP5 over the '17's that are on sale right now. Appears its an evolution not a revolution of the TP5....may have to get a boat load more '17's while they still have them locally

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @agoodmanmbk said:

> Still cant decide if it is worth it to pay an extra $10 a dozen for the '19 TP5 over the '17's that are on sale right now. Appears its an evolution not a revolution of the TP5....may have to get a boat load more '17's while they still have them locally

It's not, and there are some serious deals on the '17 starting to pop up.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

> @Drudersh said:

> > @agoodmanmbk said:

> > Still cant decide if it is worth it to pay an extra $10 a dozen for the '19 TP5 over the '17's that are on sale right now. Appears its an evolution not a revolution of the TP5....may have to get a boat load more '17's while they still have them locally

>

> It's not, and there are some serious deals on the '17 starting to pop up.

Good to know thank you for the heads up. I will re-stock on the '17

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @Drudersh said:

> > @agoodmanmbk said:

> > Still cant decide if it is worth it to pay an extra $10 a dozen for the '19 TP5 over the '17's that are on sale right now. Appears its an evolution not a revolution of the TP5....may have to get a boat load more '17's while they still have them locally

>

> It's not, and there are some serious deals on the '17 starting to pop up.

Where have you seen the deals other than $34.99/doz?

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @agoodmanmbk said:

> > @Drudersh said:

> > > @agoodmanmbk said:

> > > Still cant decide if it is worth it to pay an extra $10 a dozen for the '19 TP5 over the '17's that are on sale right now. Appears its an evolution not a revolution of the TP5....may have to get a boat load more '17's while they still have them locally

> >

> > It's not, and there are some serious deals on the '17 starting to pop up.

>

> Where have you seen the deals other than $34.99/doz?

There are a few guys on the Bay selling 3 packs that work back to like $28/dozen.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

> @Drudersh said:

> > @agoodmanmbk said:

> > > @Drudersh said:

> > > > @agoodmanmbk said:

> > > > Still cant decide if it is worth it to pay an extra $10 a dozen for the '19 TP5 over the '17's that are on sale right now. Appears its an evolution not a revolution of the TP5....may have to get a boat load more '17's while they still have them locally

> > >

> > > It's not, and there are some serious deals on the '17 starting to pop up.

> >

> > Where have you seen the deals other than $34.99/doz?

>

> There are a few guys on the Bay selling 3 packs that work back to like $28/dozen.

>

Cool thanks

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @GolfTurkey said:

> > @Zakers23 said:

> > 19 TP5x has as much green side spin as a pinnacle

> Yep, I played a new course this week and couldn't stop chips. Took out a ProV1x and it stuck like Velcro on the first bounce. I don't like the V1x performance in the wind so the search continues...

>

I've done a couple rounds of testing with the '17 z star (my gamer), '19 z star xv, '19 TP5X and '17 ProV1x and I see minimal difference in any of them for greenside spin (I can feel softer or firmer off the putter though). For example, on a 20 yard pitch with my 54* I will fly any of them about 14-16 yards and get 3-6 yards roll out. I'm a 5 handicap, my short game is a strength and I struggle to hit the shots consistent enough to know if one balls rolls out 12-18 inches more than the other. If one does, that's about it, about 12-18 inches. Nothing that would take more than a couple practice sessions to dial in. I haven't gotten out on the course yet, I'm eager to see if any of them fly 3-8 yards further and/or have noticeably less stopping power on 150-200 yard approach shots.

• Like 1

> @BB28403 said:

> > @arzee2 said:

> > I play off a 6 and have a pretty good short game. I'm not long but can get it up and down from inside 75 yards pretty well. I typically play at a 9 hole course with split tees and fast greens. This is my TP5X experiment.

> >

> > I tried to like the TP5X. I bought a dozen when I ordered my spider X. Then a couple days later they started their promo so I ordered 4 dozen more for the season. Of course this was before it warmed up and I hadn't had a chance to try any from the first dozen. Liked the idea of the ball and thought I would give it a try. I have played Pro V1 or Pro V1x for as long as they have been out. It finally started to warm up and I got to play in a St Pats scramble. The ball performed fine. Good distance and decent spin on full shots. It was hard to gauge as it was the first round in a few months. I kept playing the ball and played it along side the pro v1 shot for shot for a few rounds. Everything seemed comparable to me except for shots from 60 yards and in. I couldn't seem to spin the ball the same as the pro v and it would consistently roll out 5 yards past my target. The pro v would hop and stop. The final straw for me was last weekend. I hit the ball better than I have in the last 5 years. Even with that I missed 3 greens on the front side. We have pretty small and undulating greens with false fronts and drop off on the sides. I could not get the feel for the ball. I would be long by 10 feet on one chip and short on the next. Then on a par 5 from 60 yards I hit a wedge that lands 10 yards short of the flag takes a big bounce and rolls to the back edge 25 feet past the hole. Two holes later the same thing. I switched to a pro v on the second 9. When I got to that par 5 I dropped a ball down in the same spot and hit a shot with similar flight that landed near the previous spot. It stops dead pin high. I also was able to chip the ball close when I missed the greens on the fringe.

> > I'm sure most of this is just comfort with the pro v. I am not knocking the TP5X at all. It just does not fit my game. That's my 2¢

> >

> > I forgot to add that I got lucky and found a college player that loves the TP5X and was happy to buy my stock at a very college friendly price. 4 dozen pro v1x on their way.

>

> Tests like yours do not make sense. Subconsciously your whole golf game rests on the ProV1, no matter what you will never like any other ball.

> The tests are tainted before they begin.

> Your subconscious will make you hit the competitor ball worse . And playing 2 balls in general is never a “Real” environment. 1 ball, 1 round is all that matters .

>

> To have a true test you would need a 3rd party company to send out unbranded balls, just identifying mark’s to plug into their App or website once your round is over.

I apologize for sharing my experience with a new golf ball on a golf enthusiast forum on a topic specifically talking about the golf ball I mentioned. Thank you for correcting me. I shall go sit in the corner and think about what I have done while considering your wise and thoughtful response.

• Like 1

[color=#0000cd]Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg w/HZRDUS Smoke
Callaway Epic Flash 15deg
Callaway Apex 3H
Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW
Vokey SM7 54S & 58D
Taylormade Spider X[/color]
[color=#0000cd]TP5X[/color]

> @Edward_Majorwin said:

> I sure hate the commercials :)

> ...but since our national golf retailer is currently blowing out the '17 TP5 and TP5x @ 29.98 CAD, I went ahead and picked up two boxes today. I love my yellows but I think these will be in my bag for opening league day next Saturday.

Ditto, grabbed a few boxes of the TP5x from Golftown today. Can't turn down $30 Cdn/dozen

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

> @Zakers23 said:

> 19 TP5x has as much green side spin as a pinnacle

Me too. Looooong off my M5 driver.10-15+ longer for me... Second shots? Rolling a few too many nicely landed shots off greens that usually stick with Chromesofts. Length or sticking? I want both....back to V1X or CS I guess.

The TP5x is for players who generate a lot of spin on approach shots. The TP5 has a lot more spin into and around the green and yet is still LONG off the tee. Sounds like a better fit for most of us.

I lifted this from a review:

There seems to be less of a trade off between the distance of the TP5x and the softer feel of the TP5. The TP5 seems to be longer and a better all round ball now, **with the TP5x offering high swing speed or high spin players an alternative option.**

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @arzee2 said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > > @arzee2 said:

> > > I play off a 6 and have a pretty good short game. I'm not long but can get it up and down from inside 75 yards pretty well. I typically play at a 9 hole course with split tees and fast greens. This is my TP5X experiment.

> > >

> > > I tried to like the TP5X. I bought a dozen when I ordered my spider X. Then a couple days later they started their promo so I ordered 4 dozen more for the season. Of course this was before it warmed up and I hadn't had a chance to try any from the first dozen. Liked the idea of the ball and thought I would give it a try. I have played Pro V1 or Pro V1x for as long as they have been out. It finally started to warm up and I got to play in a St Pats scramble. The ball performed fine. Good distance and decent spin on full shots. It was hard to gauge as it was the first round in a few months. I kept playing the ball and played it along side the pro v1 shot for shot for a few rounds. Everything seemed comparable to me except for shots from 60 yards and in. I couldn't seem to spin the ball the same as the pro v and it would consistently roll out 5 yards past my target. The pro v would hop and stop. The final straw for me was last weekend. I hit the ball better than I have in the last 5 years. Even with that I missed 3 greens on the front side. We have pretty small and undulating greens with false fronts and drop off on the sides. I could not get the feel for the ball. I would be long by 10 feet on one chip and short on the next. Then on a par 5 from 60 yards I hit a wedge that lands 10 yards short of the flag takes a big bounce and rolls to the back edge 25 feet past the hole. Two holes later the same thing. I switched to a pro v on the second 9. When I got to that par 5 I dropped a ball down in the same spot and hit a shot with similar flight that landed near the previous spot. It stops dead pin high. I also was able to chip the ball close when I missed the greens on the fringe.

> > > I'm sure most of this is just comfort with the pro v. I am not knocking the TP5X at all. It just does not fit my game. That's my 2¢

> > >

> > > I forgot to add that I got lucky and found a college player that loves the TP5X and was happy to buy my stock at a very college friendly price. 4 dozen pro v1x on their way.

> >

> > Tests like yours do not make sense. Subconsciously your whole golf game rests on the ProV1, no matter what you will never like any other ball.

> > The tests are tainted before they begin.

> > Your subconscious will make you hit the competitor ball worse . And playing 2 balls in general is never a “Real” environment. 1 ball, 1 round is all that matters .

> >

> > To have a true test you would need a 3rd party company to send out unbranded balls, just identifying mark’s to plug into their App or website once your round is over.

>

> I apologize for sharing my experience with a new golf ball on a golf enthusiast forum on a topic specifically talking about the golf ball I mentioned. Thank you for correcting me. I shall go sit in the corner and think about what I have done while considering your wise and thoughtful response.

I am glad I have shown you the light. Now drop and give me 20. Lol

> @Cruisin1966 said:

> > @Edward_Majorwin said:

> > I sure hate the commercials :)

> > ...but since our national golf retailer is currently blowing out the '17 TP5 and TP5x @ 29.98 CAD, I went ahead and picked up two boxes today. I love my yellows but I think these will be in my bag for opening league day next Saturday.

>

> Ditto, grabbed a few boxes of the TP5x from Golftown today. Can't turn down $30 Cdn/dozen

What is a Canadian dozen? 15?

Kidding

> @trackcoach13 said:

> The TP5x is for players who generate a lot of spin on approach shots. The TP5 has a lot more spin into and around the green and yet is still LONG off the tee. Sounds like a better fit for most of us.

>

> I lifted this from a review:

> There seems to be less of a trade off between the distance of the TP5x and the softer feel of the TP5. The TP5 seems to be longer and a better all round ball now, **with the TP5x offering high swing speed or high spin players an alternative option.**

I really like the TP5 ball. the only concern I have is that i found that it ballooned on iron shots. It could have just been the day, but it was pretty consistent.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Played my first round with the TP5 19 ball. I had no issues hitting low spinning shots into the greens and my iron play felt nice. Last year I tried the TP5x but I had problem just hitting the low and spinning wedge shots with it.

TaylorMade SIM2 Driver Tour-AD IZ 60X
TaylorMade M5 3-wood Tour-AD IZ 70X
Bridgestone Tour B Driving Iron #3 AD DI-85X
TaylorMade P7MB (4-PW) Project X LZ 6.5

TaylorMade MG3 50°/54°/58° Dynamic Gold S400

Nike Method #006 proto

Bridgestone Tour BX

So I was given a sleeve of the tp5's this weekend to test out at one of my local courses. Granted it was about 40 degrees and 20mph winds but the ball seemed to want to fly straight and long. The spin into the greens were ok. Like I said 20mph winds didn't help but there were a couple holes that were guarded by trees to help block the wind and my 110 wedge shots landed and stuck within about a foot of the mark. With it being cold out my swing was not the best and it showed on bad swings. I definitely lost quite a bit of yardage as it spun the ball up and into the air. Overall I was pretty impressed with the ball and I am looking forward to doing more testing with it and the new Wilson Professional once it gets a bit warmer

Where did you see the robot test? I haven’t seen anything that compared the 2 against each other for the 2019 versions. I would be interested in this.

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

> @Xdmike20 said:

> It's very interesting to see with the new golf ball test that with a robot, the TP5 carries further. It was my understanding that the X was the lower spinning higher carrying ball

To me on that review of the balls the TM balls didn't come out as I expected, nothing as bad as the Callaway balls.

Interesting that the two balls I have narrowed my search down today for the year(BX and Pro V) did very well.

Admittedly I would have been one under today if it was not for the BX going too straight off the tee and not coming out of hiding in the rough.

> @UnderParfect said:

> Where did you see the robot test? I haven’t seen anything that compared the 2 against each other for the 2019 versions. I would be interested in this.

The other site.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

How did the TM balls not fair well when the TP5 and TP5x were ranked in the very good category of the test?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @noodle3872 said:

> How did the TM balls not fair well when the TP5 and TP5x were ranked in the very good category of the test?

I think It was more they didn't perform like I thought they would. TP5X especially(edited). I thought it would be a fast ball and more much less spinning than the Pro V1 but it was very close. I guess I just think of what Mcilroy and Fowler said when they moved balls.

The offline figure for the TM balls with the driver, 5X especially with the shot area, why is that greater than the Bridgestone Titleist? The raised seem of the TP5 is not a good sign for consistency.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @noodle3872 said:

> How did the TM balls not fair well when the TP5 and TP5x were ranked in the very good category of the test?

I am not saying that they didn't fair well. I was just pointing out that according to TM, the 5x is supposed to be the lower spinning, longer ball but the test showed the opposite. I was about to buy some of the 5x balls but I may now continue to stick with my prov1x balls. According to the tests, it seems like it is the better ball for my game

I still cannot find this test. What should I be searching for?

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X