2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Putting: Mike Malaska video on eye line. Agree or disagree?

Normally, I don't like Malaska's stuff. However, found this video and after trying it, I'm starting to think this is very helpful advice for putting. Maybe it's because for me, I've had issues in the past getting my eye line right, even after trying alignment aids (such as the putting mirror).

Curious to hear what others think.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree that it is NOT a case of everyone should line up with their eyes directly over the ball - so, to see a straight putt as straight, you may need to be closer or further away ( and adjust the putter lie to suit). Many years ago Gel golf by Paul Hurrion was keen on this aspect of putter fitting

I'd also say that having a putter shape that 'fits' your eyes, your alignment, is important and goes along with the above - I've never had an Edel putter fitting, but the concept of finding what putter shape and aligment makr works for you is vital... personally, i do know that a plumber's neck hosel is a disaster for me.

I stumbled on the realisation that a very rectangular shape and centre shaft seems best for me... basically like a Seemore FGP.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

> @coops said:

> I'd agree that it is NOT a case of everyone should line up with their eyes directly over the ball - so, to see a straight putt as straight, you may need to be closer or further away ( and adjust the putter lie to suit). Many years ago Gel golf by Paul Hurrion was keen on this aspect of putter fitting

>

> I'd also say that having a putter shape that 'fits' your eyes, your alignment, is important and goes along with the above - I've never had an Edel putter fitting, but the concept of finding what putter shape and aligment makr works for you is vital... personally, i do know that a plumber's neck hosel is a disaster for me.

>

> I stumbled on the realisation that a very rectangular shape and centre shaft seems best for me... basically like a Seemore FGP.

100% agree on choosing a shape that fits your eye. i'm in love with my scotty newport 2, so I'm just going to keep working on maintaining the visual of the line of the putt pre-set up and post-set up. Has done wonders for my putting in the past few days. just now need to work on controlling speed to be able to play the breaks properly

I messed with Mike's concept last night. At 15 to 20 feet from the pin there was no place I could move my head, up/down/forward/back I mean NOWHERE that I could make it so it didn't look like I was lined up left. So for kicks I set-up to the ball then reach down and moved the line until it looked like it was aimed at the hole. Then I went behind the ball and looked where the line was aiming. Almost 3 feet to the right. Not sure what to make of that, maybe it explains why I never feel like I have a clue, maybe not.

I discovered this exact video before last season, and it changed my setup completely. I'm right eye dominant, and the only thing that allowed me to see the line accurately was to position the ball back in my stance, not so coincidentally more under my right eye. I find that playing with ball position forward and back felt more natural than moving the ball closer or further away from me. But as Mike indicates, it will be different for everyone. I couldn't really dial it in until I marked an alignment line on my ball and positioned myself until it looked and felt accurate.

> @Aquila said:

> I discovered this exact video before last season, and it changed my setup completely. I'm right eye dominant, and the only thing that allowed me to see the line accurately was to position the ball back in my stance, not so coincidentally more under my right eye. I find that playing with ball position forward and back felt more natural than moving the ball closer or further away from me. But as Mike indicates, it will be different for everyone. I couldn't really dial it in until I marked an alignment line on my ball and positioned myself until it looked and felt accurate.

have you been putting better after making the adjustment? any noticeable diff in results inside 10 ft vs outside 10 ft?

> @"mchung.nyc212" said:

>

> Normally, I don't like Malaska's stuff. However, found this video and after trying it, I'm starting to think this is very helpful advice for putting. Maybe it's because for me, I've had issues in the past getting my eye line right, even after trying alignment aids (such as the putting mirror).

>

> Curious to hear what others think.

I started a thread about this problem a few weeks ago. Below is a video someone posted that does a good job of explaining why things look different from over the ball vs behind.

I also found a video that explains this as it pertains to putting.

I have been working on this and it seems my putting has improved but I still don't "see the line" when over the ball so it's possible my subconscious overrides my swing. Next time I am out on the putting green I will have to work on Mr Malaska's tip to see if I can find a position where I see the line over the ball.

If it helps I will take it as I am looking for anything that will help me with my putting.

> @"mchung.nyc212" said:

> > @Aquila said:

> > I discovered this exact video before last season, and it changed my setup completely. I'm right eye dominant, and the only thing that allowed me to see the line accurately was to position the ball back in my stance, not so coincidentally more under my right eye. I find that playing with ball position forward and back felt more natural than moving the ball closer or further away from me. But as Mike indicates, it will be different for everyone. I couldn't really dial it in until I marked an alignment line on my ball and positioned myself until it looked and felt accurate.

>

> have you been putting better after making the adjustment? any noticeable diff in results inside 10 ft vs outside 10 ft?

Yes, my putting got better, less of a guessing game. Not sure the distance of the putt is the issue.

> @b_f_c_99 said:

> I messed with Mike's concept last night. At 15 to 20 feet from the pin there was no place I could move my head, up/down/forward/back I mean NOWHERE that I could make it so it didn't look like I was lined up left. So for kicks I set-up to the ball then reach down and moved the line until it looked like it was aimed at the hole. Then I went behind the ball and looked where the line was aiming. Almost 3 feet to the right. Not sure what to make of that, maybe it explains why I never feel like I have a clue, maybe not.

The Hurrion tip/method is to line up several balls in a straight line - and then see how far inside/outside/on the line your eyeline needs to be to see that line of balls as straight... and then you adjust the putter lie to get your eyeline that far from the target line.

But there's more - after that, if I put a 'plumber's neck' type putter down, it will look to me wildly wrong and there's no way my subconscious can ignore something that looks that far off. Much more square type shapes suit me - whether old style blade or better a rectangular block like a Seemore FGP... And i've seen the Edel Brick in person and that would suit me just nicely too...

And then how far to put the ball back or forward in your stance.... as someone above mentions who is right eye dominant. Well, putting the ball in the centre also doesn't suit me... I'm LEFT eye dominant so have finally realised I need to put the ball much more forward to suit my personal preferences...

Next trip to the US I'd actually like to try out the L.A.B golf/directed force 'Blad' ;-)

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

> @coops said:

> > @b_f_c_99 said:

> > I messed with Mike's concept last night. At 15 to 20 feet from the pin there was no place I could move my head, up/down/forward/back I mean NOWHERE that I could make it so it didn't look like I was lined up left. So for kicks I set-up to the ball then reach down and moved the line until it looked like it was aimed at the hole. Then I went behind the ball and looked where the line was aiming. Almost 3 feet to the right. Not sure what to make of that, maybe it explains why I never feel like I have a clue, maybe not.

>

> The Hurrion tip/method is to line up several balls in a straight line - and then see how far inside/outside/on the line your eyeline needs to be to see that line of balls as straight... and then you adjust the putter lie to get your eyeline that far from the target line.

>

> But there's more - after that, if I put a 'plumber's neck' type putter down, it will look to me wildly wrong and there's no way my subconscious can ignore something that looks that far off. Much more square type shapes suit me - whether old style blade or better a rectangular block like a Seemore FGP... And i've seen the Edel Brick in person and that would suit me just nicely too...

>

> And then how far to put the ball back or forward in your stance.... as someone above mentions who is right eye dominant. Well, putting the ball in the centre also doesn't suit me... I'm LEFT eye dominant so have finally realised I need to put the ball much more forward to suit my personal preferences...

>

> Next trip to the US I'd actually like to try out the L.A.B golf/directed force 'Blad' ;-)

I have some other putters sitting around. I’ll see if any of them look better so to speak!

just an update here. spent some time on the practice greens and on the course today trying this and for me it's working. It was nice to make a few 8-10 footers to save par. I think like some of you said, the subconscious overriding the visual of what "should look" correct is still an issue. But I've found that once I commit to the line, the putts drop or very close to dropping. The ones that don't drop might just be a misread (or overreading a break). Will have to keep at it and see what real results they bring

Im a guy who doesn’t see the line correctly over putts. I found this video to be extremely interesting. I’ll post again after some practice today.

I already know that the days where I make them all I know that I see the line . The days where I can’t. I rarely make a single putt all round.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 7 months later...

Reviving this old thread as I've spent most of the summer trying to incorporate it. While overall I've managed to get in a position which allows the ball line and hole to match up comfortably on longer putts. However over short putts I've never managed to get comfortable with the line looking correct. My solution for this is to simply not look at the hole while over the ball. My process over short putts (10feet and less) is as below

Read the putt.

Set the ball down with the line aiming at my start point.

Stand behind the ball (facing the target) and make my practice stroke(s) while looking at the hole

Walk to the ball

Set the putter down first so the line on my putter matches the line on the ball

Do NOT take my eyes of the ball

Make the stroke.

Invariably this has worked for me, other than when I make a bad stroke or miss read. The ball will normally start and roll on the intended line and since the putt is short enough that pace is not a large issue they usually go in or leave a tap in.

I used this approach for a while with some moderate success, but I have gone back to just using the line on the ball for alignment.

I have found no better training method of trust for an alignment line on the ball than missing a bunch of putts that would have gone in based on the line but I convinced myself the line was wrong while standing over it.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Interesting stuff

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Best putting aid I’ve found is the pelz mickelson one. Helps with learning eye line and cannot hit through the marbles unless it’s a sold strike. Used to be about 20% without knocking the marbles now I’m around 90%. Weird thing is I learned I naturally closed my shoulders to the line so figured that out and when shoulders are square almost have to feel OTT to get a straight solid strike. Putting is a strength now

Its an interesting theory and it makes alot of sense. I messed around with it some, and found that if i set up with my eyes looking straight down on top of the ball, and slightly open body alignment, the line will look correct.

The hard part for me was, swinging the putter on the line the ball was lined up with, and not on the line my body was lined up with, since i started setting up slightly open. I pulled alot of putts left. I have since gone back to lining my body up square to the target line.