Wilson Milled 8802 - Going back in time sort of!

theothertwo

Such a simple and classic design but with some modern modifications. This putter is so sweet, never really used one before. I learned with a Bullseye and then moved to a Ping Anser 3. This kinda reminds me of the Bullseye I had. No alignment aid, find the sweet spot.

Why does this design work so well?

Also experimenting with a Best Grips leather grip, a little fatter and less tackier than my usual Ping Man grip so it takes getting used to. Good quality leather grip.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

It works for me because you stop thinking about stance, grip, alignment etc, and start thinking about how to use this stick to hit that ball into the hole. It seems to let your natural physical ability take over.

And then I give up on these things because everything inside 5 feet is freaking impossible to make without some kind of alignment aide. They sure do look sweet though and for some reason I keep buying them.

It works for me because you stop thinking about stance, grip, alignment etc, and start thinking about how to use this stick to hit that ball into the hole. It seems to let your natural physical ability take over.

And then I give up on these things because everything inside 5 feet is freaking impossible to make without some kind of alignment aide. They sure do look sweet though and for some reason I keep buying them.

Good enough for Ben Crenshaw, hold it lightly and let it swing back and forth. Thanks for the feedback.

I spent a lot of years and money trying a ton of putters, before I realized the Cleveland Designed By that was in my basement was the putter I should be using. To me, it’s just simpler. Everything is easier for me with a blade. Distance control, accuracy. I still try other putters, because that’s just the nature of the beast. But I always go back to the blade. It fits my stroke. I tend to leave the face open with a mallet or any of the bigger spaceship looking putters. Long live the blade.

Such a simple and classic design but with some modern modifications. This putter is so sweet, never really used one before. I learned with a Bullseye and then moved to a Ping Anser 3. This kinda reminds me of the Bullseye I had. No alignment aid, find the sweet spot.

Why does this design work so well?

I bought that same putter when they released it four or five years ago. I love the feel and the look but I just didn’t make many putts with it. Switched to a 50 year old Bullseye for a while and then snagged an Odyssey O-works #7. I make a lot more 6-10 footers than I used to and my lag putting has improved considerably.

I play one and I know there is not a putter I could putt better with

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

I used the copy of this Yonex made for Phil Mickelson for about 20 years on and off, only reason I changed was the polished carbon steel was a bit reflective for sunny days.

I've gone to a Del Mar now, as I get a similar feel with a bit more help on mishits.

On fast greens though, there is nothing better than an 8802.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I have an 8882 that was made when this one was made.

It's one of the best putters I've ever had. I feel like these should have been way more popular than they were. I got mine for $35 on discount. Lost the head over as it never stayed on right.

Any time I swap it out for something else I always go back to it. It just putts so smoothly.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Love these milled ones, add nice style on an older proven shape. I've only got an old AP personal Campbell putter in this shape, love to have an 8802.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

You should probably use another club out of that St. Augustine and other assorted cabbage.

Southern California weeds pretending to be grass.....a bit of St. Augustine over seed so you're right.

I used the copy of this Yonex made for Phil Mickelson for about 20 years on and off, only reason I changed was the polished carbon steel was a bit reflective for sunny days.

I've gone to a Del Mar now, as I get a similar feel with a bit more help on mishits.

Yeah, I have that Yonex and I use it on cloudy days because the shiney chrome is blinding sometimes.

Yeah, I have that Yonex and I use it on cloudy days because the shiny chrome is blinding sometimes. Super solid feel even with the graphite shaft.

I collect these 8802's. I've got the one in the OP, plus that Yonex (doesn't get out much in the Queensland sun).

The new Wilson milled 8802 is great if you want a heavier 8802. Most of the early ones are very light.

I'm no great putter (hang on.... yes I am. I am a great putter, I am a great putter...) but these work just as well or better than any other styles.

And they all look absolutely beautiful.

Here's some of mine. And the Rife Bimini in the bottom picture is my current "in use". She's gorgeous.

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

• Like 1

I collect these 8802's. I've got the one in the OP, plus that Yonex (doesn't get out much in the Queensland sun).

The new Wilson milled 8802 is great if you want a heavier 8802. Most of the early ones are very light.

I'm no great putter (hang on.... yes I am. I am a great putter, I am a great putter...) but these work just as well or better than any other styles.

Here's some of mine. And the Rife Bimini in the bottom picture is my current "in use". She's gorgeous.

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

Great collection. So good. What is the weight of the Rife Bimini? I believe the Milled 8802 is 335 grams, cut it down to 33.5" and love it.

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

Great collection. So good. What is the weight of the Rife Bimini? I believe the Milled 8802 is 335 grams, cut it down to 33.5" and love it.

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

I am always on the look out for a Tropical Bimini, just perfect!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

Love this style putter. My dad got the same one in the OP 2 years ago and loves it. I got Ping's version of the 8802 with the Sigma G Tess and it's perfect for me. I don't need the fancy alignment aids because I look at the hole when I putt. I paired it with the Flat Cat grip and I have a lot more confidence in my putting.

Adding one to my collection of "cheap" milled putters. Shockingly, that will be my 11th Wilson Staff club, if it makes it into the bag! Unbelievable.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Yeppers, the dual milled circa 2014 8802 is SAAAAWEEEET??!!!

Having used “The Wilson 8802” for 33-34 years of my last 36 years in the game, it’s the sh**, though Madison getting Mr. Palmer’s signature on it put the kabosh on rollin it again, and I retired it, lol

Mitch came through big time with a pristine “The Wilson 8802” and then Maddie surprised me a few weeks ago with a blackened “The Wilson 8802,” which since my stroke and loss of sight in my left eye does make it easier to align the ball and cuts down on the glare, though that stuff never even entered my mind prior to all this medical stuff, lol.

My mental game ain’t what it used to be, haha

I have all of the subsequent 8802 renditions & reissues and the 8843 that is pictured was a gift some years ago from Sam.

It was the last blade in his bag before he switched styles and of course, putters.

I had my initials stamped in it and rolled it for two seasons before going back to my 8802. The 8843 is the MP-14 of the Wilson/Staff putter blades and damn is it sweet, however you better have a lot confidence in your stroke, hahaha. It makes the 8802 look like a mallet putter, lol

All told, of my 137 putters, 79 are heel shafted blades, so it’s safe to say that if it appeared in a pro shop or a Pro’s bag, I’ve either got it, had it, or traded it away.

The latest edition dual milled 8802 is as fine a blade as I own and I prefer it over my KM-008 & even my Mac VIP TFP 90-1, on which the Miura KM-350 & 008 were based, and that Mac is the real deal!!

The latest edition 8802 versus my Napas??

Paaaleeease, lol

Seriously, not even close~

Ask Maddie, those Scottie Napas, including a custom and 2 T’s, haven’t left the cedar closet in years, lolol

The only putter that I own that comes close to the dual milled 8802 is of course The Wilson 8802 & Mac, and the Odyssey Black Tour #8, which is right there with the Wilsons and Mac.

You got a great blade, and I wish ya all the best with it!!

And your grip??

They don’t get any better than Best Grips or Zach!!

He’s as Classy as they come!!

Damn, you’re one of the Plank Owners!!

Hats off ? Brother?

Thanks for posting!

Fairways & Grerns 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Putted with it on my Pelz Truth Board and it is very sweet feeling. It’ll definitely be in contention for my putter this season. I’ll have to take it to the greens where it will be up against a Seemore PTM1, Bettinardi BB1F, and (amazingly) a MacGregor Bobby Grace M5K. The Seemore is a great putter, I like the looks of the Bettinardi and the MacG has the high-moi-thing going for it. But, just maybe, the 8802 can drop some putts and earn the nod.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

We keep buying them because they look sweet.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

Dang dude, some would say you have a problem, I’m not one of those people but wow, that’s a collection right there is serious putter degenerate action. Mad respect

• Like 1

Yeppers, the dual milled circa 2016 8802 is SAAAAWEEEET����!!!

Having used "The Wilson 8802" for 33-34 years of my last 36 years in the game, it's the sh**, though Madison getting Mr. Palmer's signature on it put the kabosh on rollin it again, and I retired it, lol

Mitch came through big time with a pristine "The Wilson 8802" and then Maddie surprised me a few weeks ago with a blackened "The Wilson 8802," which since my stroke and loss of sight in my left eye does make it easier to align the ball and cuts down on the glare, though that stuff never even entered my mind prior to all this medical stuff, lol.

My mental game ain't what it used to be, haha

I have all of the subsequent 8802 renditions & reissues and the 8843 that is pictured was a gift some years ago from Sam.

It was the last blade in his bag before he switched styles and of course, putters.

I had my initials stamped in it and rolled it for two seasons before going back to my 8802. The 8843 is the MP-14 of the Wilson/Staff putter blades and damn is it sweet, however you better have a lot confidence in your stroke, hahaha. It makes the 8802 look like a mallet putter, lol

All told, of my 137 putters, 79 are heel shafted blades, so it's safe to say that if it appeared in a pro shop or a Pro's bag, I've either got it, had it, or traded it away.

The latest edition dual milled 8802 is as fine a blade as I own and I prefer it over my KM-008 & even my Mac VIP TFP 90-1, on which the Miura KM-350 & 008 were based, and that Mac is the real deal!!

The latest edition 8802 versus my Napas??

Paaaleeease, lol

Seriously, not even close~

Ask Maddie, those Scottie Napas, including a custom and 2 T's, haven't left the cedar closet in years, lolol

The only putter that I own that comes close to the dual milled 8802 is of course The Wilson 8802, and the Odyssey Black Tour #8, which is right there with the Wilsons and Mac.

You got a great blade, and I wish ya all the best with it!!

And your grip??

They don't get any better than Best Grips or Zach!!

He's as Classy as they come!!

Damn, you're one of the Plank Owners!!

Hats off �� Brother��

Thanks for posting!

Fairways & Grerns 4ever My Friend

RP

Wow, nice collection, the Miura and MacGregor look great as well. Thanks, coming from a collector and a user like you, I am really glad I have this milled 8802. Getting used to the leather grip, good combo.

The new ones are too heavy, imo.

The Wilson 8802 pictured in my post above, the first 8802 produced, has a head weight of 330gr(35”) and the circa 2014 model pictured in this thread has a 335gr(35”) head weight.

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 1 month later...