Chamber's Bay Green Re-sod Project

SuperPapaBear

• 3 weeks later...

> @Maximilian said:

> I'm going to Seattle in the end of May beginning of June, so I'm guessing the greens will be good by then. This course looks like so much fun, but not sure if it's worth dragging my clubs along from Europe just for one round of golf. Hmm... It's like a 45 minute drive from the city, right?

I had the same dilemma, so I just decided to Rent clubs. You could also use Ship Sticks, but they are expensive.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

> @knickerbocker said:

> > @Maximilian said:

> > I'm going to Seattle in the end of May beginning of June, so I'm guessing the greens will be good by then. This course looks like so much fun, but not sure if it's worth dragging my clubs along from Europe just for one round of golf. Hmm... It's like a 45 minute drive from the city, right?

>

> I had the same dilemma, so I just decided to Rent clubs. You could also use Ship Sticks, but they are expensive.

Yeah I guess I could rent. I'm sure they have good clubs at a place like that too. But at the same time, when playing such a nice course it's always more fun to have your own clubs... Will see, haven't completely made up my mind if I should play or not. Guess I'll see how my schedule looks when I get closer. I saw in the other thread that you are headed that way now. I look forward to hearing about your experience!

> @Maximilian said:

> I'm going to Seattle in the end of May beginning of June, so I'm guessing the greens will be good by then. This course looks like so much fun, but not sure if it's worth dragging my clubs along from Europe just for one round of golf. Hmm... It's like a 45 minute drive from the city, right?

Yeah, about 45 minutes without traffic on a good day from Downtown Seattle. But, typically there's traffic. Sometimes it can take up to 90 minutes depending on the time of the day and traffic incidents.

> @Maximilian said:

> > @knickerbocker said:

> > > @Maximilian said:

> > > I'm going to Seattle in the end of May beginning of June, so I'm guessing the greens will be good by then. This course looks like so much fun, but not sure if it's worth dragging my clubs along from Europe just for one round of golf. Hmm... It's like a 45 minute drive from the city, right?

> >

> > I had the same dilemma, so I just decided to Rent clubs. You could also use Ship Sticks, but they are expensive.

> Yeah I guess I could rent. I'm sure they have good clubs at a place like that too. But at the same time, when playing such a nice course it's always more fun to have your own clubs... Will see, haven't completely made up my mind if I should play or not. Guess I'll see how my schedule looks when I get closer. I saw in the other thread that you are headed that way now. I look forward to hearing about your experience!

It's hosted a US Open, it's one of the Top 25 Public Courses in the US... if the cost isn't too prohibitive, I'd saddle up and bring your clubs and snag a tee time. You can time traffic to keep it around 45 minutes- early on the weekend of mid-morning during the week after rush hour has died down and be set.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Local sportscaster had a couple segments last night on the course and the new greens. Apparently he got to play it the day before with a Chambers bigwig. They were both raving about how much better the ball rolls on the new greens. Showed a Tweet from Michael Putnam, local PGA guy, about how good the greens were as he got to play it also. Interested to hear some first hand experiences soon as I would like to play it in the next couple of months. I only live about :15 from the course but have only played it once due to the old greens being so terrible.

I played it this evening. I have never played the course before, so it is impossible for me to compare before and after. But I found the course in terrific condition. The greens were firm, but fair. They rolled true - not super fast, but fast enough. In talking with some locals that were playing they all said it wasn’t the best condition they had ever seen the course. The conditions were tough with severe winds and some rain and it played very much like a links course. I think a major could return back to the course no problem.

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Played it on Saturday. Echo knickerbockers statements- greens were really good. Once they mature a bit and they can roll them a few times/cut them down, they're going to be incredible. The rest of the course was in fantastic shape as well. At $99 for a twilight, it's a steal right now.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

I played on April 3rd when there was rain and strong winds. Balls rolled really well albeit a lot slower than what I had expected. Got to sit and chit chat with Robert Trent Jones Jr. as some of the local former pros I know were also playing it that day knew him quite well. Looking forward to playing in the Puget Sound Amateur next month.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

• 2 weeks later...

Played it last week and have to say that I was very impressed with how this project turned out. Greens were rolling as true as I have ever seen them out there, and I expect that the speed will only increase as the season progresses and weather improved. Kudos to Chambers for making the right call and restoring the course back to its intended form.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got back out to Chambers Bay last Saturday. It was a sunny 68* and absolutely beautiful. I had only played there one other time a few years ago and while I loved the course, I was not impressed by the greens. Even though I only live :15-20 away, it wasn't worth it to me for the quality of the greens. So I was excited when they decided to change all the greens and was awaiting the re-opening. I have to say the these greens are so much bettter and are probably what they should have done originally. The are smooth and the ball rolls very nice; I can only imagine how much better they will get in the coming years. It has now become a course I can see myself playing a handful of times a year, especially come fall/winter when the rates are the best for us locals.

Just booked a round for the 18th!

Chambers, Poppy Hills, and Alameda South are my favorite non-Bandon courses on the West Coast, so I'm really looking forward to Chambers finally having a full 18 greens rolling nicely, like the other two, to match up with the quality of the shot values on offer!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @bradski said:

> If they bought good poa turf they could be really good fast. Snoqualmie ridge did some greens years ago with good results.

My home course in Fort Collins, CO has Poa based greens. There's a little bent grass in it but it's pretty much Poa Annua. The greens are very well maintained and have been for decades. These greens are among the best in the state for a public course and can rival many private courses (assuming golfers fix their ball marks, a problem with public golf these days). During tournament play they dry the greens out a bit (not to the point of stressing them), roll them and double cut them and green speeds can approach 12 - 12.5 on the stimpmeter. Any faster then many of the greens become unplayable due to the slope and undulation.

I am pleased to see that Chamber's Bay is going to Poa. This is a terrific grass, especially for the PNW climate!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @mallrat said:

> Poa settles in over time and will stop producing a seed head. Look at Royal Oaks or Tacoma Country Club. When it changes from perennial to annual you are golden. There are some courses where there are 2 or 3 varietals of Poa per green.

>

>

>

> Another thing Matt touches on that those aren’t familiar with Poa is the way it grows makes a lot of people think it’s bad. Poa does not grow in a traditional blade it grows in more of a clump. Having a good top- dressing and verticutting program is essential with Poa.

>

>

>

> Also, all the knuckleheads you hear on the broadcasts about Poa getting bumpy in the afternoon, ha. Yes it can but the tour greens, nope. They get such a small amount of clip over the course of the week.

Oakmont Country Club, Pebble Beach Golf Links, Spyglass Hill Golf Club, Torrey Pines (both courses), Riveria Country Club, Shinnecock Hills Country Club, and Olympic Club are Poa Annua greens. I'd say Poa Annua greens are generally outstanding grass to putt on. It all depends on how they are taken care of and if allowed to mature. Personally, I love Poa Annua greens. My home course has them and they never seed. Then again the course is nearly 50 years old and the maintenance staff has done a stellar job with the greens, as well as the rest of the course.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Played on May 17 in the morning. The greens are doing very well. They are firm & it’s difficult to find your ball mark.

While not fast, they run mostly true.

Cosmetically, they look fine (except for the 17th, which has a darker upper third compared to the lower two-thirds.)

Had played the course in 2008 & 2012, & the improvement is quite striking.

• Like 1

Played Saturday afternoon, and was well impressed with the work.

Sure it's shaggy in spots and the speeds might not yet be consistent throughout, but wow what an improvement. Actually made some decent putts that held there line and everything.

Once they bed in it should be really good, as some of the ground game/playing the slopes into and around the greens isn't quite there at this point, as you can go more at the flags than before.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Played in the Puget Sound Am yesterday and am pleasantly surprised vs when I played it opening week. Greens have gotten faster and was softer (probably due to the rain the night before). Still bare patches but thats too be expected since the top grass hasn't fully grown into the soil. I imagine in about 4 years, these will be pristine greens.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

• 2 weeks later...

> @bird206 said:

> Played Chambers last Sunday and the greens are much better than the old greens. Rolling smooth and consistent. They were a little slower in my opinion. Maybe because it was an afternoon twilight round and the grass on the greens seemed a little fuzzy? Anyways, glad they did the new greens.r9rdb1nggljk.jpg

>

Looks good!

• 3 weeks later...

Just played Chambers today. Like others have said, they are a little fuzzy but smooth. I got the impression they're fuzzy because of how new they are, so the greens are being babied, but they'll be cut or rolled a little tighter with maturity. Massive improvement from the last time I played (2014 when they were kinda dirty pre Open) and I think this will be a positive for the course.

Side note: I played with a couple locals who said the upper tee on #9 is going away after this season because a new hotel is going in that spot. Too bad.

> @Edaw68 said:

> Just played Chambers today. Like others have said, they are a little fuzzy but smooth. I got the impression they're fuzzy because of how new they are, so the greens are being babied, but they'll be cut or rolled a little tighter with maturity. Massive improvement from the last time I played (2014 when they were kinda dirty pre Open) and I think this will be a positive for the course.

>

> Side note: I played with a couple locals who said the upper tee on #9 is going away after this season because a new hotel is going in that spot. Too bad.

I played on Sunday with two other buddies. I had not played since my one and only round after the US Open. That round was awful because we were putting on 50% dirt and vowed I would not come back. When I heard that they re-did all the greens with poa I decided to give it another try because I was going to be in Seattle.

All I can say is WOW, what a difference good greens can make for your impression of the golf course. The rest of the course was just the same as far as I could tell, but it was so nice to hit shots into greens with grass and putt on grass.

As others have said, the grass is a little on the longish side, but has to be just to protect them due to how young they are. When fixing divots you can tell the root system isn't very deep. But they did putt true, albeit a tad on the slow side, but putts would roll out going downhill (as I found out more than once). Uphill it was hard to get the ball to the hole if you were more than 10 feet away. But a SIGNIFICANTLY better putting experience than before and it will only get better with time as the greens mature and they can cut them shorter and shorter.

Due to the severe slopes on some of the greens you probably don't want to get them faster then about a 10 on the stimp otherwise there will be a lot of 4 putting going on. The pace of play was also fantastic. We teed off just after 11am and were done just after 330pm. We had to wait maybe a minute or two on every tee shot on the back but it wasn't bad. If there was no one in front of us we still couldn't have played in less than 4 hours. What I was most surprised with was how few steps I took to play the course. We played the sand tees and I took fewer steps compare to playing my home course which isn't very long

For those who had a really bad experience at Chambers with the old greens, they should give the course another chance. With the new greens the course is definitely worth playing now (I would never have said that under any circumstances with the old greens), and they will only get better with age.

• Like 1

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I'll be in Portland for meetings in September and decided to go up to Chambers for a round on the back end of the trip. They won't let you sign up for a tee time as a single, just have to wait until another group has signed up and has an open spot. I'm planning on playing early morning on 9/21, so if anyone would like to join up to help me get around this problem shoot me a PM.

• 1 year later...