Best Rain gear

chbrake

Does anyone have experience with the GG Angelo jacket? What are your thoughts? There are so many GG styles it is difficult to differentiate without seeing any in person.

I haven't owned that specific model of Galvin Green, but having owned/still owning a lot of their models from each year, I can tell you that it's a GoreTex Paclite model, and typically all of their Paclite models fit and function the same. It just comes down to what style/look you're going for. Anything specific that you're wanting answered or feedback on?

Looking for a good all purpose rain jacket. Something that will keep out some really bad rain on a golf trip, but something I can also wear as an extra layer/ wind proof in the spring and fall. I've thought about the ProQuip PX6 because of all of the rave reviews on here, but the branding all over the jacket makes it less versatile in my opinion.

If you're wanting to stick with GoreTex, then a GoreTex Paclite like the Angelo would be your best bet for that use case. It's a lightweight (for GoreTex, there are plenty of lighter competitors out there however) shell with only the waterproof membrane on the inside and a very thin face fabric bonded to the exterior. Four seasons type use, as it's thin enough to wear in a summer rain (GoreTex doesn't breathe well, but this is the thinnest, most breathable golf application of GoreTex), yet can also be a water and wind proof layer in colder temps, provided you layer appropriately underneath.

I will add that although Galvin Green is a great label, and I have several pieces from them, GoreTex Paclite (like the Angelo) is not exclusive to them, and is honestly priced much higher with them than what you can find most competitors' GT PacLite pieces for. Actually my favorite PacLite jackets are several models of Under Armour's PacLite golf jackets. They use the material really well in terms of constructing it for movement in the golf swing, better than Galvin Green in my opinion from testing several PacLite models of each manufacturer. Good fits, not '"loose trashcan liner" fit like FootJoy USA, yet not quite as slim cut as most Euro fits. Hits a sweet spot right in between.

Thanks Chris. Ill check out the UA Paclite, but maybe go with one of the other non- Gore-Tex competitors that seem to be getting a lot of love for all purpose rain jackets.

You can definitely find better performing products than GoreTex, but the caveat with that is that you have to do more “work” (research, reviews, reading here on the forums) to find out what’s good, what works, etc. The main benefit to GoreTex is that, for people who don’t want to do that or don’t know where to find the info, Gore Industries has set a minimum standard of performance (mainly in waterproofing) of any garment with Gore on it...meaning you know it’s at least as good as all other Gore-containing garments. Different manufacturers can add to design and functionality, but you at least know the base level performance you’re going to get.

just received the PX6 jacket and PX1 pants (no PX5's were in my size were available), they look and feel great! Hoping it rains in LA asap!

any glove recommendations?

played a few weeks ago in the rain with my Titliest players and I could feel it slip and ultimately ruined my glove.

Footjoy rainglove is the best one I've found. Gets grippier when it gets wet and doesn't stretch. I sometimes wear it in the middle of summer too if I'm getting very sweaty.

Thank you Ty! Going to pick some up ASAP to complete my rain bag. Do you have any hat recommendations?

I would think a bucket hat would be best in rain.

The Imperial bucket rain hats sold at Bandon are the best I’ve found. They have an extended brim on the backside to keep rain from dripping down the back of your neck when bent forward at address, fold nicely to store in the bag, and have a detachable chin strap for windy days. I’ve use mine even when not golfing, and combined with a good jacket and rain pants I stay very dry, even in downpours. They’re available on their website, or just plan a quick trip to Oregon to pick one up.

The Imperial bucket rain hats sold at Bandon are the best I’ve found. They have an extended brim on the backside to keep rain from dripping down the back of your neck when bent forward at address, fold nicely to store in the bag, and have a detachable chin strap for windy days. I’ve use mine even when not golfing, and combined with a good jacket and rain pants I stay very dry, even in downpours. They’re available on their website, or just plan a quick trip to Oregon to pick one up.

Thank you so much Clambake! You finished my rain bag!

Chris- rain jacket/ bottom

Ty - rain gloves

Clambakes- hat

will never forget you guys :)

For anyone wondering about the FJ Hydroknit sizing: finally got a chance to try these on today. I wear a medium in almost every golf shirt brand except Footjoy. Small fits me better, unless I buy the athletic cut. For this jacket, the Medium fits much better than the small. These fit me more like UA and Adidas jackets, which I wear a medium. So, if you a Footjoy guy (non athletic style) you may need to size up like I need.

Golfsupport has the proquip px5 (last years model) tops and pants on clearance for anyone looking. If you buy together it comes out to be around $215 with the bundle deal

https://golfsupport.com/golf-waterproofs/mens-waterproof-jackets/proquip-stormforce-px5-waterproof-jackets

Golfsupport is legit! I ordered this PX5 set on Sunday afternoon. I received it on Tuesday at lunch.

Regarding those Galway Bay pants, I think they need to have some zip vents in them.  I think a better solution if you're going to be out all day in below 50 rainy weather is to wear a base layer under rain pants with side zips.  That way, if you get hot you can partially unzip the side zips and dump heat quickly.  If I wear a WPB pant for a while and start to sweat...well that's when the chafing can start.  So venting is important.  

jwortsman said:
Golfsupport has the proquip px5 (last years model) tops and pants on clearance for anyone looking. If you buy together it comes out to be around $215 with the bundle deal

https://golfsupport.com/golf-waterproofs/mens-waterproof-jackets/proquip-stormforce-px5-waterproof-jackets

Golfsupport is legit! I ordered this PX5 set on Sunday afternoon. I received it on Tuesday at lunch.How do the pants fit? Slim or baggy?

jwortsman said:

Golfsupport is legit! I ordered this PX5 set on Sunday afternoon. I received it on Tuesday at lunch.
How do the pants fit? Slim or baggy?I actually found them to fit perfectly. I'm a bigger guy, 6'1", 230 and wear a 38x33 in jeans (prefer the Lucky Brand 181). I was scared in getting the XL, just because of the euro cut, but fits perfectly through the legs and doesn't stretch the waist much at all. I went XXL in the jacket b/c I'm a 46-48L suit jacket and I actually wish I had gone with the XL. It's a little big, not too bad and there are adjustable velcro straps on the sides to make the fit better. My only negative on the suit is the branding.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who bought a proquip jacket. I am interested in the tourlitr model. I am located in canada. Where do you buy yours? What website did you use?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I just bought an under armour goretex running jacket , 400 price tag for 75 at winners. paper thin, it's designed to breath. seems nice. goes along with the 10 other rain jackets I seem to have!!

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Not sure if it has been said in this thread or not and its not golf only but Arc'teryx rain gear is BY FAR the best you can buy with a lifetime warranty. Ranger buddy of mine turned be onto it when he did a no questions asked warranty claim on a 6 year old jacket that did 2 tours and the sleeves (cuffs) were fraying.

I've since bought a pull over and jacket that I used for fishing, golfing and normal wear and couldn't be happier. Its a little pricy but you get what you pay for.

> @NDefer said:

> Im a 34 waist and typically between a L or M shirt

>

> Should I go for M or L Px6 jacket/pants?

>

> Thanks ,

go Medium if your into the clean cut fitted look.

go Large if you need the extra room up top.

I'm 170 pounds at 5' 10" with a 33" waist On the slim side... wish I got a med but it’s rain gear so all good... it's a roomy fit..

I found this interesting. GoreTex is introducing their new “ShakeDry” tech with Galvin Green Monday.

https://www.golfposer.com/catalog/product/view/id/65720/s/galvin-green-shakedry-limited-edition-waterproof-golf-jacket-2019/category/57

I’m pretty sure we have mentioned Columbia’s OutDry tech in this thread (or one of the other rain gear threads). It’s where you take the interior waterproof membrane and make it the exterior face fabric, eliminating the cloth exterior fabric and giving the garment a plasticy, slick look. It eliminates the “wetting out” problem of traditional rain gear altogether. It’s interesting to me in that you don’t normally see GoreTex copying a competitor’s technology, but the OutDry garments are pretty darn good. Only knock to OutDry so far has been the shiny/plasticy look (looks like traditional yellow rain slicker in terms of finish, only much thinner and breathable). I’m curious to see if being duplicated by GoreTex will make the look/style more acceptable fashion-wise. If so, I could see Columbia getting a big boost in OutDry sales, as it is much cheaper than GoreTex.

> @DrDon said:

> Anyone with experience golfing in the Columbia OutdDry hybrid jacket? For much less the cost than GorTex, it seems like an interesting comparison.

I have the OutDry reversible and have used it for golf many times. There's no issues with it at all. I like the reversible one specifically as it has a side that looks like a normal jacket, so that you don't have to hear people asking all the time "why is your jacket so shiny/slick?"...which they do, a lot. Plus, when you put the OutDry (shiny) side out, like the rest of the OutDry line, the cloth side is against your skin, keeping you from experiencing that clammy/sticky feeling you get when wearing a waterproof that has the membrane directly against your skin...like say, GoreTex Paclite.

I got myself the Kjus Pro 2.0 3L jacket and pants. They are outstanding. Comfortably the best raingear I've used. Kept me warm and dry inside them. Strongly recommended!

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I had the OutDry jacket and pants in my possession for a few weeks. I never had a chance to use them so I can't comment on performance, though. I just couldn't get into the shiny/wet look so I ended up returning them. I will say that they fit well and were comfortable. The material has a bit of stretch to it and I was able to swing a club with no issues. I had a Nike gift card to burn so I ended up buying the HyperShield HydroAdapt jacket and pants. I have played two rainy rounds (one walking) and one very cold and windy round with them. Each time I was dry and warm. So far, I am very impressed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just adding something that's just been pointed out to me. When you try to buy the PX6 through golfsupport.com, and you are in the US, at checkout it will make you remove the items and gives a pop up stating that they can't be shipped to your country. So it looks like this loophole to buy PX6 cheap may be closed. Which, honestly...makes sense. Golfsupport.com's price is cheaper than the US wholesale price, so it had to be stealing a lot of US sales from ProQuip direct.

Nooooooooooooooooooo

I never move fast enough.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

So now what is recommended as the best buy?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS