Rebuilding my bag - Need suggestions

Myherobobhope

I want to rebuild my bag this season, and I want to get fitted across the board... I want to do it in an efficient manner, but stagger the costs so as not to overwhelm the wife... I need a new driver, new three wood, new hybrid, new irons and new wedges... My putter is fine. I have a D: Fast 12 LS, 3wd - Adams Fast 12, Hybrid: Bridgestone J30, Irons: Taylor Made Oversize from 1996, Wedges - Clevelands 49, 52, 56, 60... I get along fine with the 60 and 56 but can't hit the 49 or 52 to save my life.

On my current course, I've decided a 250 yard 3w is a better tool than a driver for the majority of holes (I hit driver on 3 of the par fives, and 2 of the par fours... 250 yards leaves me with between 170-130 on all the other holes).

My current thought on the fitting process and purchasing process is:

* 3w first. Fit and buy. I don't love my current 3 wood, and think this will be the biggest upgrade in my bag.

* Fit for irons 2nd: Figure out my gaps, and whether or not I want the sets PW and GW, or if I want to go with another brand for PW and GW.

* Buy PW or GW next: assuming I'm not going with the matching iron

* Buy SW or Lob Wedge if I like the GW and PW in the iron set I get my heart set on

* Buy Irons -These are my oldest clubs to replace, but are not holding me back, really

* Buy Hybrid - I struggle with my hybrid more than my driver

* Buy new Driver - Hopefully towards end of season, when prices have dropped...

I'd love any thoughts from people who have rebuilt bags over the course of a season... My cash flow isn't great right now, so I have to do this slowly... if that changes, I'll do 3w, then wedges and irons all at once, then driver and hybrid.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

If you want to be efficient with your money then I would get the irons first as they will impact the rest of the bag. Once that is settled, then you move on to the wedges when you've determined what you need. Unless you are buying SGI irons it's likely that you will be fine with both the set PW and GW.

I would go to driver next as that is the club that will have the biggest impact on your scoring of what is left, but I would be careful to compare new to what you have to see if you're really gaining anything in terms of total driving (ie. distance plus accuracy). The last things that I would change are the long clubs (fairway, hybrid) to fit the gaps correctly.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

If you're going to have to build in pieces over time (vs buying it all at once), then dial your exact budget and then really assess what area of your bag has the biggest need. I replaced my driver (2007 TM Burner TP with TS3), 3 wood (2013 Callaway XR with Callaway Epic Flash), hybrid ( 2008 Adams IDEA Gold 19 with Callaway Apex 19), and putter (2000 SC Studio Stainless insert with Bettinardi Inovai Mallet). Irons remained in the bag and I've always loved them (Mizuno MP54s). Replacing all of my woods/hybrid ate up a healthy amount. I

> @PNWGLFR said:

> If you're going to have to build in pieces over time (vs buying it all at once), then dial your exact budget and then really assess what area of your bag has the biggest need. I replaced my driver (2007 TM Burner TP with TS3), 3 wood (2013 Callaway XR with Callaway Epic Flash), hybrid ( 2008 Adams IDEA Gold 19 with Callaway Apex 19), and putter (2000 SC Studio Stainless insert with Bettinardi Inovai Mallet). Irons remained in the bag and I've always loved them (Mizuno MP54s). Replacing all of my woods/hybrid ate up a healthy amount. I

Thanks! Over the course of the season, I should have the ability to replace everything... my main problem is the two clubs I want to replace most (PW and GW) require me to commit to an iron set, which is my lowest priority otherwise... I could possibly figure out which irons I want, buy the PW and GW separately and go back and figure out the iron parts down the road... Just go PW, GW first, then Sand Wedge, Lodge wedge (likely not from the same set), then 3w (which I use to tee off 7 holes on my current course, vs 5 driver holes)... Then irons, then hybrids, finally driver.

Maybe I just need to talk to the people doing the fitting.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I would start fitting with irons. New irons go so much farther and depending on what you decide, you need to know what distance your longest iron goes and your shortest goes. This will determine what to buy hybrid or fairway and wedges. Otherwise your gaps could get really screwed.

Try to demo new clubs outside, launch monitors are cool but sometimes you will hit a club inside that looks amazing but outside the ball flight will never work to play good golf.

Also, dont count out used stuff. Tons of like new clubs out there for steep discounts if you know what specs you need.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Get fit on a set of irons first that include a good PW & GW. As motioned above, everything tends to fall into place after the irons are fit properly.

Pretty sure there are a few threads on here that talk about the difference between a true Wedge and the PW included in the set. I for one tend to favor the PW in the set.

SIM 10.5

Ai Smoke TD 18 | Apex UW 21

T100 4-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

> @Myherobobhope said:

> I want to rebuild my bag this season, and I want to get fitted across the board... I want to do it in an efficient manner, but stagger the costs so as not to overwhelm the wife... I need a new driver, new three wood, new hybrid, new irons and new wedges... My putter is fine. I have a D: Fast 12 LS, 3wd - Adams Fast 12, Hybrid: Bridgestone J30, Irons: Taylor Made Oversize from 1996, Wedges - Clevelands 49, 52, 56, 60... I get along fine with the 60 and 56 but can't hit the 49 or 52 to save my life.

> On my current course, I've decided a 250 yard 3w is a better tool than a driver for the majority of holes (I hit driver on 3 of the par fives, and 2 of the par fours... 250 yards leaves me with between 170-130 on all the other holes).

> My current thought on the fitting process and purchasing process is:

> * 3w first. Fit and buy. I don't love my current 3 wood, and think this will be the biggest upgrade in my bag.

> * Fit for irons 2nd: Figure out my gaps, and whether or not I want the sets PW and GW, or if I want to go with another brand for PW and GW.

> * Buy PW or GW next: assuming I'm not going with the matching iron

> * Buy SW or Lob Wedge if I like the GW and PW in the iron set I get my heart set on

> * Buy Irons -These are my oldest clubs to replace, but are not holding me back, really

> * Buy Hybrid - I struggle with my hybrid more than my driver

> * Buy new Driver - Hopefully towards end of season, when prices have dropped...

>

> I'd love any thoughts from people who have rebuilt bags over the course of a season... My cash flow isn't great right now, so I have to do this slowly... if that changes, I'll do 3w, then wedges and irons all at once, then driver and hybrid.

Good plan! Maybe a lil daunting because it's big, and there are some unknowns. I tend to agree with you. 3wd, PW, GW... Makes most sense impacts score the most. Only objective weakness is that a well driver can/will replace 3wd. But you know yr course game so I defer there. At this point Id say: regrip driver, irons, go hard after PW, SW, explore optimal 3wd fitting. 95% of time best 3wd is a 4wd 1/2" short with a mid price shaft. Straighter just as far.

> @JAMH03 said:

> Good plan! Maybe a lil daunting because it's big, and there are some unknowns. I tend to agree with you. 3wd, PW, GW... Makes most sense impacts score the most. Only objective weakness is that a well driver can/will replace 3wd. But you know yr course game so I defer there. At this point Id say: regrip driver, irons, go hard after PW, SW, explore optimal 3wd fitting. 95% of time best 3wd is a 4wd 1/2" short with a mid price shaft. Straighter just as far.

Thanks! I think my current plan is to bring my bag to the place I'm getting fitted, and basically explain where I am and what I want to do... hopefully they can talk through everything and we can develop a plan together to move forward (if not, they aren't the right fitting location).

I want to go all in on getting properly fitted for once, just to see what happens.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I don’t really see the problem with picking up a bomber 3W and specialty 50° wedge, then fitting for irons later. There are countless ways to transition in and out of irons.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Just something to consider, I’ve always favored having the pw & gw match the irons. You typically tend to hit fuller shots with these two wedges and I feel it gives more consistency throughout the set if they are the same. Then you can add any other lofted wedges you like as long as they fit you’re gapping needs.

Driver: GBB 9* 
3wd: GBB 15*  
Hybrid: Big Bertha 3hy
Irons: Apex cf 16 4-AW  
Wedges: MD4 54 & 58 W grind  
Putter: O-Works 7 black

Looks like a great plan!!

You know your game and strength.

One tip: Do not rush the process.

Good luck!

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

> @backspin26 said:

> Just something to consider, I’ve always favored having the pw & gw match the irons. You typically tend to hit fuller shots with these two wedges and I feel it gives more consistency throughout the set if they are the same. Then you can add any other lofted wedges you like as long as they fit you’re gapping needs.

Yeah, this is my main concern with the process and plan I have... I really don't like my Cleveland wedges for full swings and would love to have my old PW and GW... especially considering that's the majority of shots I hit on the course. I'm just not prepared to drop $1000 on a new set of irons today. I can swing new wedges and a new 3w fairly easily, I'm just trying to figure out how I want to do it...

Currently have time and not much money, soon I'll hopefully have money but not much time...

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

What were your old PW and GW @Myherobobhope ? I think that info could help a lot it could be the grinds, bounce or the shafts or the shaft lengths but we may be able to identify something closer to what you like than what you game currently?

PS if you have time but not money now definitely make some time to practice you'll wish you had later.

> @JAMH03 said:

> What were your old PW and GW @Myherobobhope ? I think that info could help a lot it could be the grinds, bounce or the shafts or the shaft lengths but we may be able to identify something closer to what you like than what you game currently?

>

> PS if you have time but not money now definitely make some time to practice you'll wish you had later.

I'm definitely practicing now... though my course is currently mats only, so I haven't gotten to put in the full swing time I'd like to... Should be opened up next week, hopefully! I'd have to look at the wedges... They are both the old school Cleveland design, I think they are a little short and upright for me... My old wedges were just my Taylor Made Oversize wedges that came with the set.

My current plan is to wait for some demo days and keep practicing... I have an itch to buy SOMETHING golf related, and don't have a range finder, so i think I'm going to pull the trigger on that first. It will help me dial in distances now and in the future, so I think it's the smartest investment (and I've wanted one for ages)... Then, once I have the money, I will rebuild the bag.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

So went to a custom fitter yesterday (shout out to Golf Headquarters and Greg! great facility, great people!). I told him I had never gotten along with Mizuno, so I ended up in a Mizuno Hot Metal Pro iron with DG120s. Ordered a PW and a Vokey 50 degree with the same shaft. This eliminates the biggest hole in my bag. Went from 8.5k and 145 foot apex to 7k and 130 foot apex... still some work to go on getting the ball flight down!

I'll probably end up stepping my iron shafts on the full set, as stiff gave me lower spin numbers than X stiff did... My second lowest spinning shaft was one the fitter thought I'd spin the most (Something 95?). C-tapers felt great but spun more than than the DG120s, which also felt great...

He's excited to fit me for a three wood soon!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58