2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Akshay Bhatia

> @leezer99 said:

> > @kcap said:

> > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way tongo

>

> I think he just decided this year... he's a 17 year old.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/fast-track-pro-aspirations-separate-akshay-bhatia-17-junior-pack

Possible I just referenced this story.

> @kcap said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @kcap said:

> > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way tongo

> >

> > I think he just decided this year... he's a 17 year old.

>

> https://www.golfchannel.com/news/fast-track-pro-aspirations-separate-akshay-bhatia-17-junior-pack

>

> Possible I just referenced this story.

Oh man, that's crazy...

Looks like his first WEB.com round ended at +1 with 5 birdies (a stretch of 3 in a row), 4 bogies and one double. Clean up a couple of those holes and he's got a decent round. Currently T104 but can make it tomorrow with a low round in the morning!

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @kcap said:

> I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> @airjammer said:

> > @kcap said:

> > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

>

> If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

>

> If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

>

>

It’s not the degree that would be beneficial for him in college. It’d be the golf experience and maturing that would happen. I 100% agree a degree isn’t necessary but playing 2 years of college golf certainly wouldn’t hurt him

> @airjammer said:

> > @kcap said:

> > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

>

> If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

>

> If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

>

>

I am going to assume that the top JR golf in the country that decides he will be good enough to play professional golf at grade 8 would have got the pick of colleges and likely a full ride.. I mean if he can’t get it then which poor golfer has a shot at getting college money.

That assumption takes away the full argument of time value of money.. infact college becomes a free option and finance guy will tell you that you don’t refuse a free option . Golf is not like

Football or basketball where he might get injured and that impacts his professional career. You play a couple of years, if you are crushing it then leave early and enjoy life on the tour and if not then take a few more years to develop.. in the unlikely chance your game falls apart then you have a degree and something that hold value.

He might turn out to be the next Tiger or Rory.. I still don’t think it is the right decision to make.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @airjammer said:

> > > @kcap said:

> > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> >

> > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> >

> > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> >

> >

>

> It’s not the degree that would be beneficial for him in college. It’d be the golf experience and maturing that would happen. I 100% agree a degree isn’t necessary but playing 2 years of college golf certainly wouldn’t hurt him

Do coaches like recruiting kids they know are going to bail in a year or two?

> @leezer99 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @airjammer said:

> > > > @kcap said:

> > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > >

> > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > >

> > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > It’s not the degree that would be beneficial for him in college. It’d be the golf experience and maturing that would happen. I 100% agree a degree isn’t necessary but playing 2 years of college golf certainly wouldn’t hurt him

>

> Do coaches like recruiting kids they know are going to bail in a year or two?

Depends. If you’re going to recruit the best of the best it’s simply part of the deal. Texas, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Florida, USC, Oklahoma, Oregon, Alabama, etc know there’s a chance it’ll happen with top recruits. Actually talked to a top SEC coach about it for a few hours the other day that has had 3 leave early in the last few years. Viewed it as part of being a top program

> @kekoa said:

> Only time will tell, but when you start talking about top ams who are ready for the big leagues, viktor hovland, wolffe, and Suh come to mind. All 3 are in college and will probably say they are better because of it.

>

I followed Hovland a lot at The Amateur championship last summer and he was impressive hits a low fade nicely, got beat by the eventual finalist then went on to the win the US in the summer. He seemed a very nice guy as the Friday before he was chipping next to me on the practice green. I commented saying very jealous of all your Nike kit, interesting to see him using 60* for all his chips etc on links style course. Seems to have ` great head on is shoulders and hope he does well in the Pros.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @airjammer said:

> > @kcap said:

>

>

>

>

Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @kcap said:

> > @airjammer said:

> > > @kcap said:

> > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> >

> > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> >

> > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> >

> >

> I am going to assume that the top JR golf in the country that decides he will be good enough to play professional golf at grade 8 would have got the pick of colleges and likely a full ride.. I mean if he can’t get it then which poor golfer has a shot at getting college money.

>

> That assumption takes away the full argument of time value of money.. infact college becomes a free option and finance guy will tell you that you don’t refuse a free option . Golf is not like

> Football or basketball where he might get injured and that impacts his professional career. You play a couple of years, if you are crushing it then leave early and enjoy life on the tour and if not then take a few more years to develop.. in the unlikely chance your game falls apart then you have a degree and something that hold value.

>

> He might turn out to be the next Tiger or Rory.. I still don’t think it is the right decision to make.

No doubt he would be offered a full ride but college scholarship are not a guaranteed thing as we all know. So only count on one year of free tuition. He doesn’t want to be there so attendance may be a problem and he’s been home schooled so no telling where he may be on the scholastic level.

There are too many temptations in college that he probably hasn’t been exposed to already. Since he has been almost solely focusing on golf for years and he’s flourished under those conditions I would continue that path until a better path shows itself.

This way may not potentially make him a well rounded individual...his parents already started this process but this may make him the most successful golfer.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @airjammer said:

> > > @kcap said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @airjammer said:

> > > > @kcap said:

> > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > >

> > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > >

> > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

>

> You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

>

> Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > >

> > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > >

> > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> >

> > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> >

> > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

>

> I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > > >

> > > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > > >

> > > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> > >

> > > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> > >

> > > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> >

> > I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

>

> I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

>

> Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

Will be absolutely shocked if it’s even close to “more money than his parents have ever seen”.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> > > >

> > > > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> > > >

> > > > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> > >

> > > I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

> >

> > I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

> >

> > Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

>

> Will be absolutely shocked if it’s even close to “more money than his parents have ever seen”.

Seriously. Do you think his sponsorship offers right now are anywhere near the $250-400k that a 4-year scholarship would be worth had he gone to a top program with access to all the things that’s a heavy has mentioned? And how many golf teachers make $300K+? That’s what any specialized doctors make (usually a lot more). What about being in finance. Or other career paths. Well over $300k. Multiples of $300k. Tell me about Butch Harmon and I’ll show you the Butch Harmon in business and it’s not even close.

Again we aren’t talking about a valedictorian here...he doesn’t have at those ambitions at this moment in time.

If he gets is name known well enough he can go into real estate or insurance ala jason gore.

The only thing he is missing is the competition of college golf and all that comes with that. He’s proven he is better than almost all of them already at this point. He could go to college get distracted and lose his edge. He could get beaten down by the day to day grind of min tour golf. Either way it’s interesting to talk about and follow the story.

> @yellowlover519 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> > > > >

> > > > > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> > > > >

> > > > > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> > > >

> > > > I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

> > >

> > > I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

> > >

> > > Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

> >

> > Will be absolutely shocked if it’s even close to “more money than his parents have ever seen”.

>

> Seriously. Do you think his sponsorship offers right now are anywhere near the $250-400k that a 4-year scholarship would be worth had he gone to a top program with access to all the things that’s a heavy has mentioned? And how many golf teachers make $300K+? That’s what any specialized doctors make (usually a lot more). What about being in finance. Or other career paths. Well over $300k. Multiples of $300k. Tell me about Butch Harmon and I’ll show you the Butch Harmon in business and it’s not even close.

>

>

Yes, I do think his sponsorship offers would be at, or north of $500K. He’s the #9 ranked Amateur in the world and has had as dominant a junior career as anyone in the last 10-15 years—maybe since Tiger. The top Am’s Garner 7 figures+ when they turn pro so it isn’t unreasonable to think he’s in the $500k-$1M range in terms of sponsorship opportunities.

And let’s be honest about what he’s doing. He’s going to play Amateur golf for 15 months. He’s going to compete at the collegiate level even though he isn’t going to college. I’m not sure I would have announced the plan cause you look stupid if you fail. But I don’t think it’s a bad plan either

> @yellowlover519 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> > > > >

> > > > > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> > > > >

> > > > > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> > > >

> > > > I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

> > >

> > > I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

> > >

> > > Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

> >

> > Will be absolutely shocked if it’s even close to “more money than his parents have ever seen”.

>

> Seriously. Do you think his sponsorship offers right now are anywhere near the $250-400k that a 4-year scholarship would be worth had he gone to a top program with access to all the things that’s a heavy has mentioned? And how many golf teachers make $300K+? That’s what any specialized doctors make (usually a lot more). What about being in finance. Or other career paths. Well over $300k. Multiples of $300k. Tell me about Butch Harmon and I’ll show you the Butch Harmon in business and it’s not even close.

>

>

Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if his sponsorship offers are in the $250-400k range. But that’s not “more money than they’ve ever seen” money. With expenses of trying to play professional golf that money can disappear quite fast

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

> > > >

> > > > I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

> > > >

> > > > Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

> > >

> > > Will be absolutely shocked if it’s even close to “more money than his parents have ever seen”.

> >

> > Seriously. Do you think his sponsorship offers right now are anywhere near the $250-400k that a 4-year scholarship would be worth had he gone to a top program with access to all the things that’s a heavy has mentioned? And how many golf teachers make $300K+? That’s what any specialized doctors make (usually a lot more). What about being in finance. Or other career paths. Well over $300k. Multiples of $300k. Tell me about Butch Harmon and I’ll show you the Butch Harmon in business and it’s not even close.

> >

> >

>

> Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if his sponsorship offers are in the $250-400k range. But that’s not “more money than they’ve ever seen” money. With expenses of trying to play professional golf that money can disappear quite fast

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

> > > >

> > > > I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

> > > >

> > > > Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

> > >

> > > Will be absolutely shocked if it’s even close to “more money than his parents have ever seen”.

> >

> > Seriously. Do you think his sponsorship offers right now are anywhere near the $250-400k that a 4-year scholarship would be worth had he gone to a top program with access to all the things that’s a heavy has mentioned? And how many golf teachers make $300K+? That’s what any specialized doctors make (usually a lot more). What about being in finance. Or other career paths. Well over $300k. Multiples of $300k. Tell me about Butch Harmon and I’ll show you the Butch Harmon in business and it’s not even close.

> >

> >

>

> Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if his sponsorship offers are in the $250-400k range. But that’s not “more money than they’ve ever seen” money. With expenses of trying to play professional golf that money can disappear quite fast

That would surprise me. I think it would be in line with Titleist’s minimum:

https://golftips.golfweek.com/much-sponsor-pga-players-hat-20726.html

He doesn’t even have his tour card yet.

Looks like he's going to make the cut this time out! [GolfWeek](https://golfweek.com/2019/04/19/17-year-old-amateur-akshay-bhatia-expected-to-make-cut/)

All depends on what happens after the guys that didn't get to finish today get back out tomorrow. If anything he will be right on the cut line.

> @yellowlover519 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > > > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > > > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

> > > > >

> > > > > I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

> > > > >

> > > > > Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

> > > >

> > > > Will be absolutely shocked if it’s even close to “more money than his parents have ever seen”.

> > >

> > > Seriously. Do you think his sponsorship offers right now are anywhere near the $250-400k that a 4-year scholarship would be worth had he gone to a top program with access to all the things that’s a heavy has mentioned? And how many golf teachers make $300K+? That’s what any specialized doctors make (usually a lot more). What about being in finance. Or other career paths. Well over $300k. Multiples of $300k. Tell me about Butch Harmon and I’ll show you the Butch Harmon in business and it’s not even close.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if his sponsorship offers are in the $250-400k range. But that’s not “more money than they’ve ever seen” money. With expenses of trying to play professional golf that money can disappear quite fast

>

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > > @airjammer said:

> > > > > > > > > > @kcap said:

> > > > > > > > > > I just think it is amazing that he/ family would decide as 8 grader that turning pro and skipping college is the way to go

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If he’s not interested in anything that college will provide absolutely no reason to potentially waste that money. Depending on what rate of return you can achieve, the time value of money really makes going to college a hard decision. So many kids are going to college that a 4 year degree doesn’t set you apart anymore so they are setting you up to go for 8 years to set yourself apart. More than likely you aren’t earning good money during most of that time and probably saddled with debt. Unless you really have something that you really want to do that absolutely needs a degree it probably won’t pay to go to college in the long run.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If he flames out at being a professional golfer he can become a teacher and if he’s any good he can earn better money than a doctor.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Free access to quality courses across the country, quality competition, trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You don't know if he is not being offered that already by sponsors or paid enough to afford it. Number 1 junior who is going pro has a good chance he is already has sponsors lined up the minute he goes pro. At certain point this makes turning pro much more lucrative.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Obviously college makes sense to a lot of people and not something anyone should turn down lightly. To me it looks like a stupid move but all he needs to do is win one PGA tournament to make it look very smart.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don't, but from a pure business standpoint, what would a sponsor gain from giving a junior golfer trainers, physical therapists, sports psychologists, psychologists, nutritionists? They don't even supply those things to guys on the PGA tour.

> > > > >

> > > > > I would think it depends on the sponsor and how stiff the competition is for players they want. Obviously offering extra perks to a player help entice players to sign up. Even if they don't the amount money is going to be more money then he or his parents has seen in their life and more then enough to pay for what ever he needs. Every sponsor wants the next superstar before they are a household name I believe Tiger was the first one to see that happen in the 90's. So a number 1 junior is very marketable out there and I am sure a lot of money is being thrown at him.

> > > > >

> > > > > Of course if he doesn't perform that money will go away but the same thing could happen in college. Hard to be in his shoes for sure.

> > > >

> > > > Will be absolutely shocked if it’s even close to “more money than his parents have ever seen”.

> > >

> > > Seriously. Do you think his sponsorship offers right now are anywhere near the $250-400k that a 4-year scholarship would be worth had he gone to a top program with access to all the things that’s a heavy has mentioned? And how many golf teachers make $300K+? That’s what any specialized doctors make (usually a lot more). What about being in finance. Or other career paths. Well over $300k. Multiples of $300k. Tell me about Butch Harmon and I’ll show you the Butch Harmon in business and it’s not even close.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if his sponsorship offers are in the $250-400k range. But that’s not “more money than they’ve ever seen” money. With expenses of trying to play professional golf that money can disappear quite fast

>

> That would surprise me. I think it would be in line with Titleist’s minimum:

>

> https://golftips.golfweek.com/much-sponsor-pga-players-hat-20726.html

>

> He doesn’t even have his tour card yet.

>

Ive worked with a good number of players who got “young gun” deals out of college before they had a Tour card, and some haven’t got a PGA Tour card yet. Includes several who had similar WAGR ranking to his. Titleist pays the least, but you are free to have multiple sponsors with them, clothing deals, watch deal, car deal, etc. I’m basing my opinion on experience and first hand knowledge of similar players situations.

He will be getting more than $200k the moment he turns pro.

> @tiger1873 said:

> There is a lot money given out in golf and sponsorship deals. With tiger winning the masters he is going be north of 7 figures with the correct agent.

>

> https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/golf/article151949137.html

I assume you meant Akshay since Tiger already makes north of that. If Akshay can sign a multi-year deal anywhere close to 7 figures, he made the right financial decision IMO. We can debate golf maturity, but foregoing college and taking a shot with that kind of sponsorship money is a no brainer.