PGA championship in MAY!!!?????

Man_O_War

> @bladehunter said:

> > @firstbatch said:

> > I know it’s a long way off for weather forecast but here is Accuweather.

> >

> > u9h4pr82ltxb.jpeg

> >

>

> So cold and wet.

> Highs around 60 with rain everyday is going to make for a mess. They will have to move future PGas south to make that work.

>

>

I live in Western New York. The course that I play most of my golf will not open until next Thursday (April 25th). To date, we have had only 2 days above 60*. Most days have been in the 40's or 50's and raining.

The PGA Championship at Oak Hill in Rochester in 2023 could be the last time a May PGA Championship is played in the Northeast. Shame.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Ferguson said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > > @Hankshank said:

> > > > > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > > > my memory of Bethpage Black (in 90s) was rough, rough, rough. It got super tough in rough. not to mention it is long course for any weekend hacker.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There will be the usual ha-ha's about that sign when the guys turns up there...

> > > > > > vi6rrihdi0cc.jpg

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I guess you refer to the sign at the first tee. Back in those days, you had to clear about 250 to get on fairway as you may remember.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Overrated.

> > > >

> > > > play from the tips and say that. lol

> > >

> > > I have. 4 times.

> > >

> >

> > lol so how is it overrated exactly? or is it just a "i'll post this and see what happens"

> >

> > after playing with numerous people of all skill levels they all say the same thing -- it's a bear and a beast and owns the plaque proudly.

>

> Don't get me wrong, of the harder courses I have played throughout my life, Black is up there at tough as it gets. However, painfully long and tough doesn't make for a great track, or one I would "rate" very high when compared to other courses. The only one tougher was Oakmont (that I have had the unique pleasure to play twice).

>

> I had more fun at Oakmont.

Jealous - i have an outstanding invite to play Oakmont just haven't had time to take him up on it.

i get what you mean of how it could be...boring but, far from overrated. yes, you're right in that the main idea on just about every hole is, "ok, what bunker do i have to hit driver over?" -- i see you.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > > > @Hankshank said:

> > > > > > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > > > > my memory of Bethpage Black (in 90s) was rough, rough, rough. It got super tough in rough. not to mention it is long course for any weekend hacker.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > There will be the usual ha-ha's about that sign when the guys turns up there...

> > > > > > > vi6rrihdi0cc.jpg

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I guess you refer to the sign at the first tee. Back in those days, you had to clear about 250 to get on fairway as you may remember.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Overrated.

> > > > >

> > > > > play from the tips and say that. lol

> > > >

> > > > I have. 4 times.

> > > >

> > >

> > > lol so how is it overrated exactly? or is it just a "i'll post this and see what happens"

> > >

> > > after playing with numerous people of all skill levels they all say the same thing -- it's a bear and a beast and owns the plaque proudly.

> >

> > Don't get me wrong, of the harder courses I have played throughout my life, Black is up there at tough as it gets. However, painfully long and tough doesn't make for a great track, or one I would "rate" very high when compared to other courses. The only one tougher was Oakmont (that I have had the unique pleasure to play twice).

> >

> > I had more fun at Oakmont.

>

> Jealous - i have an outstanding invite to play Oakmont just haven't had time to take him up on it.

>

> i get what you mean of how it could be...boring but, far from overrated. yes, you're right in that the main idea on just about every hole is, "ok, what bunker do i have to hit driver over?" -- i see you.

If you like tough and playable you will fall in love with Oakmont. It's a nice course to look at too as you stand nervously over every shot.

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > > > > @Hankshank said:

> > > > > > > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > > > > > my memory of Bethpage Black (in 90s) was rough, rough, rough. It got super tough in rough. not to mention it is long course for any weekend hacker.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > There will be the usual ha-ha's about that sign when the guys turns up there...

> > > > > > > > vi6rrihdi0cc.jpg

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I guess you refer to the sign at the first tee. Back in those days, you had to clear about 250 to get on fairway as you may remember.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Overrated.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > play from the tips and say that. lol

> > > > >

> > > > > I have. 4 times.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > lol so how is it overrated exactly? or is it just a "i'll post this and see what happens"

> > > >

> > > > after playing with numerous people of all skill levels they all say the same thing -- it's a bear and a beast and owns the plaque proudly.

> > >

> > > Don't get me wrong, of the harder courses I have played throughout my life, Black is up there at tough as it gets. However, painfully long and tough doesn't make for a great track, or one I would "rate" very high when compared to other courses. The only one tougher was Oakmont (that I have had the unique pleasure to play twice).

> > >

> > > I had more fun at Oakmont.

> >

> > Jealous - i have an outstanding invite to play Oakmont just haven't had time to take him up on it.

> >

> > i get what you mean of how it could be...boring but, far from overrated. yes, you're right in that the main idea on just about every hole is, "ok, what bunker do i have to hit driver over?" -- i see you.

>

> If you like tough and playable you will fall in love with Oakmont. It's a nice course to look at too as you stand nervously over every shot.

>

i've played Plainfield CC in NJ the day after their club championship and it was about as fast/tough as i could want lol the pros hated playing the Barclays there. donald ross but shares some of the design elements of Oakmont IMO; squared off greens that fall off, etc.

lol @ 'as you stand nervously over every shot' -- no truer words.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gvogel said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @firstbatch said:

> > > I know it’s a long way off for weather forecast but here is Accuweather.

> > >

> > > u9h4pr82ltxb.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > So cold and wet.

> > Highs around 60 with rain everyday is going to make for a mess. They will have to move future PGas south to make that work.

> >

> >

>

> I live in Western New York. The course that I play most of my golf will not open until next Thursday (April 25th). To date, we have had only 2 days above 60*. Most days have been in the 40's or 50's and raining.

>

> The PGA Championship at Oak Hill in Rochester in 2023 could be the last time a May PGA Championship is played in the Northeast. Shame.

Yep. I have a good friend who lives in Lindenhurst. Retired NYC cop ... so he has nothing but time to give me the weather reports. Lol.

I also get that to New Yorkers it isn’t “ cold”. But if It’s high of 61-65 that means half the field plays in they low 50s most of the day. That will cause pro golfers to be in full winter gear. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @firstbatch said:

> > > > I know it’s a long way off for weather forecast but here is Accuweather.

> > > >

> > > > u9h4pr82ltxb.jpeg

> > > >

> > >

> > > So cold and wet.

> > > Highs around 60 with rain everyday is going to make for a mess. They will have to move future PGas south to make that work.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I live in Western New York. The course that I play most of my golf will not open until next Thursday (April 25th). To date, we have had only 2 days above 60*. Most days have been in the 40's or 50's and raining.

> >

> > The PGA Championship at Oak Hill in Rochester in 2023 could be the last time a May PGA Championship is played in the Northeast. Shame.

>

> Yep. I have a good friend who lives in Lindenhurst. Retired NYC cop ... so he has nothing but time to give me the weather reports. Lol.

>

> I also get that to New Yorkers it isn’t “ cold”. But if It’s high of 61-65 that means half the field plays in they low 50s most of the day. That will cause pro golfers to be in full winter gear. Lol.

As a former Rochesterian, I have seen it snow in May.

> @smashdn said:

> What do you want be when you grow up PGA? A ball-buster like the US Open? Something kind of unique (in the context of the PGA Tour courses) like The Open? You ain't gonna be The Masters so don't go there.

"Kind of unique?!!!!"

Good Lord.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @3jacker said:

> > @smashdn said:

>

> > What do you want be when you grow up PGA? A ball-buster like the US Open? Something kind of unique (in the context of the PGA Tour courses) like The Open? You ain't gonna be The Masters so don't go there.

>

> "Kind of unique?!!!!"

>

> Good Lord.

Do tell.

The oldest major championship, run by the oldest "ruling" organization in the game, on the oldest tracks (most of them), under the truest-to-orginal-game conditions.. more than just unique. A test of real golf, not just "American-style" target golf.

"Unique" seems like an under-sell. To me.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > @Hankshank said:

> > > > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > > my memory of Bethpage Black (in 90s) was rough, rough, rough. It got super tough in rough. not to mention it is long course for any weekend hacker.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There will be the usual ha-ha's about that sign when the guys turns up there...

> > > > > vi6rrihdi0cc.jpg

> > > > >

> > > > > I guess you refer to the sign at the first tee. Back in those days, you had to clear about 250 to get on fairway as you may remember.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Overrated.

> > >

> > > play from the tips and say that. lol

> >

> > I have. 4 times.

> >

>

> lol so how is it overrated exactly? or is it just a "i'll post this and see what happens"

>

> after playing with numerous people of all skill levels they all say the same thing -- it's a bear and a beast and owns the plaque proudly.

Greens are boring IMO. Some of the views from the tee are horrible, like #6 and 11. Also think they rely too much on thick rough to defend the course.

> @freeze16172002 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @freeze16172002 said:

> > > The one knock I have on the black course is the closing hole.

> >

> > ...what's the knI

> It is a mundane par four that you could hit iron off, not a very exciting finishing hole

It used to be - you're correct. However the fairway has been widened so that the pros can use a driver and possibly go for the green. Might now be more interesting to watch.

> @chas521 said:

> > @freeze16172002 said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @freeze16172002 said:

> > > > The one knock I have on the black course is the closing hole.

> > >

> > > ...what's the knI

> > It is a mundane par four that you could hit iron off, not a very exciting finishing hole

>

> It used to be - you're correct. However the fairway has been widened so that the pros can use a driver and possibly go for the green. Might now be more interesting to watch.

Lol @ going for the green

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @freeze16172002 said:

> > @chas521 said:

> > You know what I meant. One of the proposed changes was to shorten the 18th . Anyway we'll see.

>

> When you come back across the road. Playing those holes 18-15 would make it alot better, but you would end in the middle of the course and would need a ride back on the road

I played the Red yesterday. Always liked the Red. Anyway, since I play a Bethpage course at least once a week, I know all of the starters and they know me. While waiting for my tee off time, I got in a conversation with the starter and we talked about the 18th hole on the Black. It was contemplated making a change where they would tee off as they do on the Black 18th and make a dogleg right through the Red course and use the 18th green on the Red. It would require some landscaping so I doubt that it would be ready for May. They would use the regular Black 18th for normal recreational play.

• Like 1

> @King_Slender said:

> Love the new schedule:

> March - The Players

> April - The Masters

> May - PGA

> June - US Open

> July - The (British) Open

> August/September - Fed Ex Playoffs / Ryder Cup / President's Cup

>

> I think this new schedule helps on a couple fronts - it gives room to move the Fed Ex Playoffs forward a week or two so that it's not all packed so close to the Ryder Cup. American players were playing like 5 of 6 weeks in many cases last year. In Olympic years it also gives more wiggle room.

It's insulting to put the Fed Ex in a list of such wonderful events. Other than that, I agree with you.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @King_Slender said:

> > Love the new schedule:

> > March - The Players

> > April - The Masters

> > May - PGA

> > June - US Open

> > July - The (British) Open

> > August/September - Fed Ex Playoffs / Ryder Cup / President's Cup

> >

> > I think this new schedule helps on a couple fronts - it gives room to move the Fed Ex Playoffs forward a week or two so that it's not all packed so close to the Ryder Cup. American players were playing like 5 of 6 weeks in many cases last year. In Olympic years it also gives more wiggle room.

>

> It's insulting to put the Fed Ex in a list of such wonderful events. Other than that, I agree with you.

Whether you like it or not, the FedEx group of tournaments is a lock on every guy's schedule. They aren't passing up the chance to win a $15 million bonus. Heck, the top 5 guys all get at least a $2.5 million bonus. That's impossible to turn down this opportunity.

Bottom line is the FedEx Cup does create tournaments with strong fields at the end of the season. And fatigue is a factor for all of the guys, so it's no wonder they wanted to try to get the PGA Championship moved. Makes a lot of sense for the PGA as well to avoid conflict with the Olympics every 4 years.

> @redfirebird08 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @King_Slender said:

> > > Love the new schedule:

> > > March - The Players

> > > April - The Masters

> > > May - PGA

> > > June - US Open

> > > July - The (British) Open

> > > August/September - Fed Ex Playoffs / Ryder Cup / President's Cup

> > >

> > > I think this new schedule helps on a couple fronts - it gives room to move the Fed Ex Playoffs forward a week or two so that it's not all packed so close to the Ryder Cup. American players were playing like 5 of 6 weeks in many cases last year. In Olympic years it also gives more wiggle room.

> >

> > It's insulting to put the Fed Ex in a list of such wonderful events. Other than that, I agree with you.

>

> Whether you like it or not, the FedEx group of tournaments is a lock on every guy's schedule. They aren't passing up the chance to win a $15 million bonus. Heck, the top 5 guys all get at least a $2.5 million bonus. That's impossible to turn down this opportunity.

>

> Bottom line is the FedEx Cup does create tournaments with strong fields at the end of the season. And fatigue is a factor for all of the guys, so it's no wonder they wanted to try to get the PGA Championship moved. Makes a lot of sense for the PGA as well to avoid conflict with the Olympics every 4 years.

I think in the past you would see guys skip one of the playoff events but now that its down to 3, rather unlikely.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

> @chas521 said:

> > > @chas521 said:

> > > You know what I meant. One of the proposed changes was to shorten the 18th . Anyway we'll see.

> >

> > When you come back across the road. Playing those holes 18-15 would make it alot better, but you would end in the middle of the course and would need a ride back on the road

>

> I played the Red yesterday. Always liked the Red. Anyway, since I play a Bethpage course at least once a week, I know all of the starters and they know me. While waiting for my tee off time, I got in a conversation with the starter and we talked about the 18th hole on the Black. It was contemplated making a change where they would tee off as they do on the Black 18th and make a dogleg right through the Red course and use the 18th green on the Red. It would require some landscaping so I doubt that it would be ready for May. They would use the regular Black 18th for normal recreational play.

>

>

>

>

>

>

They've said that since the "02 U.S.Open. Bethpage said they would never do it. Basically since no one would be able to play the championship course. Talk was either make 18 fairway wider and get rid of the chokepoint with a closer tee box -fairway was widened over the fall/winter to make it a "reachable par 4" move /alter the green and bunkering - which hasn't been done

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

> @chas521 said:

> > > @chas521 said:

> > > You know what I meant. One of the proposed changes was to shorten the 18th . Anyway we'll see.

> >

> > When you come back across the road. Playing those holes 18-15 would make it alot better, but you would end in the middle of the course and would need a ride back on the road

>

> I played the Red yesterday. Always liked the Red. Anyway, since I play a Bethpage course at least once a week, I know all of the starters and they know me. While waiting for my tee off time, I got in a conversation with the starter and we talked about the 18th hole on the Black. It was contemplated making a change where they would tee off as they do on the Black 18th and make a dogleg right through the Red course and use the 18th green on the Red. It would require some landscaping so I doubt that it would be ready for May. They would use the regular Black 18th for normal recreational play.

>

>

>

>

>

>

I played the Red so many times over the black. July temp in the 90's, walk the black or cart on the red. Red please