Could a Scratch Golfer break 85 at Augusta?

golfer929

> @grm24 said:

> Just for you @dvdt

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-eddie-pepperell-shared-some-fun-details-from-his-duel-with-famed-masters-marker-jeff-knox

> @widow-maker said:

> It depends on the amateur who's playing.

> Take a scratch amateur from Oakland Hills or Oakmont who are used to fast, tricky, undulating greens and you've just eliminated the biggest gag factor. There are certainly other clubs around the country that have difficult greens and monster layouts that wouldn't be intimidated by Augusta. We're talking 85. An amateur that shoots par or better at Oakmont is certainly capable of breaking 85 at Augusta, even given the silly parameters the OP listed. If you took a hundred scratch amateurs from clubs of similar difficulty and played the course the day after the Masters, I guarantee you that you'd have a significant number of them break 85. Plenty wouldn't, but it certainly would be done.

I think you may not understand how handicaps work. A scratch at Oakland Hills, is shooting north of 76. A golfer shooting par at Oakland Hills is a +4 or 5.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

A friend of mine shot 76 from the members tees several years ago. I know his game very well so I would think a scratch can definitely break 85 from the back tees if he played well. As of 2009 the rating was 78.1/137. It's probably a bit tougher today because of added length. But, the greens are so pure that putts hit online are going in the hole.

My only personal barometer is playing Pete Dye Golf Course in a US AM qualifier with a course/slope rating of 77.2/147. I shot 72 in one of the rounds. PDGC is not ANGC, but still very difficult, and I had 13 shots to give based on this question. I would say it's definitely possible.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

> @Bingo1976 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > Just for you @dvdt

> > https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-eddie-pepperell-shared-some-fun-details-from-his-duel-with-famed-masters-marker-jeff-knox

>

> > @widow-maker said:

> > It depends on the amateur who's playing.

> > Take a scratch amateur from Oakland Hills or Oakmont who are used to fast, tricky, undulating greens and you've just eliminated the biggest gag factor. There are certainly other clubs around the country that have difficult greens and monster layouts that wouldn't be intimidated by Augusta. We're talking 85. An amateur that shoots par or better at Oakmont is certainly capable of breaking 85 at Augusta, even given the silly parameters the OP listed. If you took a hundred scratch amateurs from clubs of similar difficulty and played the course the day after the Masters, I guarantee you that you'd have a significant number of them break 85. Plenty wouldn't, but it certainly would be done.

>

> I think you may not understand how handicaps work. A scratch at Oakland Hills, is shooting north of 76. A golfer shooting par at Oakland Hills is a +4 or 5.

Jeff Knox is a .7 at Augusta, not a +4, and he's had many rounds under par there. Some days they shoot north of 76, some days they shoot close to par or under. But a +.7 is a scratch golfer and most of the good clubs have a few members that fit into that category. They might not play enough to be a +4, but they have competed in the past and can still have their moments. The main point is, the greens at Oakland Hills are just as challenging as the greens at Augusta, and that player isn't going to be freaked out by the speed and undulations. Augusta is a straight forward track with minimal rough. Make a couple of birdies in your round and you can just about make bogies the whole way around on the other holes and shoot 85. There are scratches who could cover the OP's stipulations, But, I'll agree that there are many more that wouldn't because of the OP's ridiculous parameters.

• Like 1

Don't know how this slipped my mind, but it seems like it might be relevant.

On Sunday evening I got a call from a friend who lives in Georgia who is friends with a member at Augusta National.

Excited to see and play Augusta for the first time, I filed a flight plan, jumped in my Cirrus, and flew overnight all the way from western Canada to get there.

I got to the course on Monday morning, only to learn that my friend had hurt his neck at the Augusta Hooters, and wouldn't be able the play. His member friend had some unexpected subprime mortgages to foreclose on, and he couldn't play either. But he sent me a text: "just show up - we need the green fees to keep dues down" . So I grabbed my bag, hopped on my rental Vespa, and headed for the course. Hootie Johnson met me at the bag drop, mumbled something about Mike Weir and not lifting the toilet seat, and told me to go away. I was devastated: the grumpiest old man in the world had just told me get off the nicest lawn in the world. Fortunately, Fred Ridley was there too. He patted Hootie on the head, gave me a pimento cheese sandwich and pointed me in the direction of the practice green. He is as nice as he seems on TV! However, he also broke some bad news: due to the media playing later in the day, there were no caddies available. I was going to have to face Augusta National alone.

I hurried over to the practice green to familiarize myself with the speed and undulations. The greens are tricky, but they run true. I quickly realized that on these pristine surfaces I was more likely to sink putts from outside of six feet than I am used to. I didn't bother hitting any balls - I am short but WRX standards (only 307 average) and a bit wild, but Augusta is as wide as a football field. I knew that a couple of ZJ practice swings on the first tee would be all I'd need.

As a single, they sent me out first. The course was in epic condition - completely unchanged from Tiger's dramatic win the day before. I shot 42 on the front, and 39 on the back. Made a birdie on 13. That hole is so easy! Did I mention that I my handicap is 0.0?

All in all, a great day. I sure am glad I had 61 minutes of practice beforehand.

I don't know guys... does this match OP's criteria?

• Like 4

> @cdnglf said:

> Don't know how this slipped my mind, but it seems like it might be relevant.

>

> On Sunday evening I got a call from a friend who lives in Georgia who is friends with a member at Augusta National.

> Excited to see and play Augusta for the first time, I filed a flight plan, jumped in my Cirrus, and flew overnight all the way from western Canada to get there.

>

> I got to the course on Monday morning, only to learn that my friend had hurt his neck at the Augusta Hooters, and wouldn't be able the play. His member friend had some unexpected subprime mortgages to foreclose on, and he couldn't play either. But he sent me a text: "just show up - we need the green fees to keep dues down" . So I grabbed my bag, hopped on my rental Vespa, and headed for the course. Hootie Johnson met me at the bag drop, mumbled something about Mike Weir and not lifting the toilet seat, and told me to go away. I was devastated: the grumpiest old man in the world had just told me get off the nicest lawn in the world. Fortunately, Fred Ridley was there too. He patted Hootie on the head, gave me a pimento cheese sandwich and pointed me in the direction of the practice green. He is as nice as he seems on TV! However, he also broke some bad news: due to the media playing later in the day, there were no caddies available. I was going to have to face Augusta National alone.

>

> I hurried over to the practice green to familiarize myself with the speed and undulations. The greens are tricky, but they run true. I quickly realized that on these pristine surfaces I was more likely to sink putts from outside of six feet than I am used to. I didn't bother hitting any balls - I am short but WRX standards (only 307 average) and a bit wild, but Augusta is as wide as a football field. I knew that a couple of ZJ practice swings on the first tee would be all I'd need.

>

> As a single, they sent me out first. The course was in epic condition - completely unchanged from Tiger's dramatic win the day before. I shot 42 on the front, and 39 on the back. Made a birdie on 13. That hole is so easy! Did I mention that I my handicap is 0.0?

>

> All in all, a great day. I sure am glad I had 61 minutes of practice beforehand.

> I don't know guys... does this match OP's criteria?

>

>

>

Dreams don’t count.

> @cdnglf said:

>

> On Sunday evening I got a call from a friend who lives in Georgia who is friends with a member at Augusta National.

> Excited to see and play Augusta for the first time, I filed a flight plan, jumped in my Cirrus, and flew overnight all the way from western Canada to get there.

>

> I got to the course on Monday morning, only to learn that my friend had hurt his neck at the Augusta Hooters, and wouldn't be able the play. His member friend had some unexpected subprime mortgages to foreclose on, and he couldn't play either. But he sent me a text: "just show up - we need the green fees to keep dues down" . So I grabbed my bag, hopped on my rental Vespa, and headed for the course. Hootie Johnson met me at the bag drop, mumbled something about Mike Weir and not lifting the toilet seat, and told me to go away. I was devastated: the grumpiest old man in the world had just told me get off the nicest lawn in the world. Fortunately, Fred Ridley was there too. He patted Hootie on the head, gave me a pimento cheese sandwich and pointed me in the direction of the practice green. He is as nice as he seems on TV! However, he also broke some bad news: due to the media playing later in the day, there were no caddies available. I was going to have to face Augusta National alone.

>

> I hurried over to the practice green to familiarize myself with the speed and undulations. The greens are tricky, but they run true. I quickly realized that on these pristine surfaces I was more likely to sink putts from outside of six feet than I am used to. I didn't bother hitting any balls - I am short but WRX standards (only 307 average) and a bit wild, but Augusta is as wide as a football field. I knew that a couple of ZJ practice swings on the first tee would be all I'd need.

>

> As a single, they sent me out first. The course was in epic condition - completely unchanged from Tiger's dramatic win the day before. I shot 42 on the front, and 39 on the back. Made a birdie on 13. That hole is so easy! Did I mention that I my handicap is 0.0?

>

> All in all, a great day. I sure am glad I had 61 minutes of practice beforehand.

>

>

>

what happened at the hooters?

It's been posted many times already, maybe buried on page 37 or 44 or 22....who knows.

But assuming we are talking about tournament conditions and not an actual tournament (with masters pressure, tv cameras etc). Than the argument is simply about whether or not the course rating is 85.

I believe 85 would be the highest rating in the world for a golf course

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @tiderider said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > Don't know how this slipped my mind, but it seems like it might be relevant.

> >

> > On Sunday evening I got a call from a friend who lives in Georgia who is friends with a member at Augusta National.

> > Excited to see and play Augusta for the first time, I filed a flight plan, jumped in my Cirrus, and flew overnight all the way from western Canada to get there.

> >

> > I got to the course on Monday morning, only to learn that my friend had hurt his neck at the Augusta Hooters, and wouldn't be able the play. His member friend had some unexpected subprime mortgages to foreclose on, and he couldn't play either. But he sent me a text: "just show up - we need the green fees to keep dues down" . So I grabbed my bag, hopped on my rental Vespa, and headed for the course. Hootie Johnson met me at the bag drop, mumbled something about Mike Weir and not lifting the toilet seat, and told me to go away. I was devastated: the grumpiest old man in the world had just told me get off the nicest lawn in the world. Fortunately, Fred Ridley was there too. He patted Hootie on the head, gave me a pimento cheese sandwich and pointed me in the direction of the practice green. He is as nice as he seems on TV! However, he also broke some bad news: due to the media playing later in the day, there were no caddies available. I was going to have to face Augusta National alone.

> >

> > I hurried over to the practice green to familiarize myself with the speed and undulations. The greens are tricky, but they run true. I quickly realized that on these pristine surfaces I was more likely to sink putts from outside of six feet than I am used to. I didn't bother hitting any balls - I am short but WRX standards (only 307 average) and a bit wild, but Augusta is as wide as a football field. I knew that a couple of ZJ practice swings on the first tee would be all I'd need.

> >

> > As a single, they sent me out first. The course was in epic condition - completely unchanged from Tiger's dramatic win the day before. I shot 42 on the front, and 39 on the back. Made a birdie on 13. That hole is so easy! Did I mention that I my handicap is 0.0?

> >

> > All in all, a great day. I sure am glad I had 61 minutes of practice beforehand.

> > I don't know guys... does this match OP's criteria?

> >

> >

> >

>

> what happened at the hooters?

Long story. You’d never believe it.

> @cdnglf said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

What fuel do you use in the Cirrus?

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

> @"NoFancyUsername." said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > Don't know how this slipped my mind, but it seems like it might be relevant.

> >

> > On Sunday evening I got a call from a friend who lives in Georgia who is friends with a member at Augusta National.

> > Excited to see and play Augusta for the first time, I filed a flight plan, jumped in my Cirrus, and flew overnight all the way from western Canada to get there.

> >

> > I got to the course on Monday morning, only to learn that my friend had hurt his neck at the Augusta Hooters, and wouldn't be able the play. His member friend had some unexpected subprime mortgages to foreclose on, and he couldn't play either. But he sent me a text: "just show up - we need the green fees to keep dues down" . So I grabbed my bag, hopped on my rental Vespa, and headed for the course. Hootie Johnson met me at the bag drop, mumbled something about Mike Weir and not lifting the toilet seat, and told me to go away. I was devastated: the grumpiest old man in the world had just told me get off the nicest lawn in the world. Fortunately, Fred Ridley was there too. He patted Hootie on the head, gave me a pimento cheese sandwich and pointed me in the direction of the practice green. He is as nice as he seems on TV! However, he also broke some bad news: due to the media playing later in the day, there were no caddies available. I was going to have to face Augusta National alone.

> >

> > I hurried over to the practice green to familiarize myself with the speed and undulations. The greens are tricky, but they run true. I quickly realized that on these pristine surfaces I was more likely to sink putts from outside of six feet than I am used to. I didn't bother hitting any balls - I am short but WRX standards (only 307 average) and a bit wild, but Augusta is as wide as a football field. I knew that a couple of ZJ practice swings on the first tee would be all I'd need.

> >

> > As a single, they sent me out first. The course was in epic condition - completely unchanged from Tiger's dramatic win the day before. I shot 42 on the front, and 39 on the back. Made a birdie on 13. That hole is so easy! Did I mention that I my handicap is 0.0?

> >

> > All in all, a great day. I sure am glad I had 61 minutes of practice beforehand.

> >

> >

> >

>

> What fuel do you use in the Cirrus?

Tears of the middle class ... DUH!

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @"NoFancyUsername." said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> What fuel do you use in the Cirrus?

Red Bull and Slim Jims

Couple that with the expectation that a player averages about 3 shots over their handicap, and your buddy may well be able to shoot around 81 on average.

This is Augusta greens notwithstanding. Add 4 shots for thier contour speed uniqueness to the avg golfer and you have 85 on the # if his swing is right. Second time likely 2-3 less without a blowup hole and given he mashes it off the tee like some of us do. If he ain't 290 with roll min hea not the right kind of scratch to take that challenge.

Just my 2cents!

I've been lucky to play Augusta twice from the tourney tees and the course is almost always at top conditions.

I'm just an ok player and shot 77-78.

It's a real boom-bust type of golf course. 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 18 are exceedingly difficult holes, but 2, 3, 8, 13, 15, and 16 are true birdie holes.

A true scratch player with a proper caddie would be low mid 70s.

A true scratch who is a strong lag putter and having a good ballstriking day could do it. There are MUCH tougher Tour stops than AN. Try playing the Champions Course at PGA Natl. in 25 mph winds. There's water and OB everywhere. Have an "off" day there and it'd be embarrassing.

AN has huge fairways and practically no rough. A smart scratch used to playing 7k yards should easily be able to par 8-10 of the less difficult holes and play conservatively on the remainder.

Of course, playing it without a caddy makes it more challenging than with, but not impossible. If you have playing partners though, you can learn a ton about how your ball will react on the greens by paying attention to theirs.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Regular playing partner shared his score card from AN last month. Played around 7 years ago when he was in college. His best memory was a +2 cap then. He shot 76. He said the greens were the defense ( of course ) and he only made 1 birdie ( 13) . But also said that if he could play it for a month he was sure he’d break par after learning the greens.

I’d love to have a shot. But not likely to happen.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @smashdn said:

> So, what is the handicap of the lowest placing amateur in the 2019 field?

He's not handicapped, I think he was just stoned in that butler cabin thing.

nmdnw4dt1euc.jpg

I'd venture to guess it's closer to +4 or better.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @stu_man said:

> Easily.. Pine Valley.. maybe

Depends on the “Scratch,” at both places, especially Pine, and their caddie will be incredibly critical at Pine, and never having Played Augusta, I can’t speak to the caddie’s importance.

A former tourney tested Plus, be they Am or Pro, who due to family, business, age, outside commitments and life in general who’s drifted north to scratch(Bear in mind that Jack’s a 3.2~ or there abouts)??

Absolutely they could do it

Some sh*** & giggles “scratch?”

NFW....

They’d be lucky to break 90

Though I’ve never Played Augusta, I’ve Played Pine many times, from both the fronts and the Championship tees and my same opinion applies here as with Augusta.

If someone has “been there done that,” yea, but if not?

NFW....

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I just wasted time and pulled scoring averages for the Masters, Valspar, and RBC. RBC scoring average for the week was .88 strokes over par. Valspar was .01 under and Augusta was .12 under. Are we saying no scratch could break 86 at Harbour Town? I understand it's a different field, but that's crazy. No one here would say that, but the best players in the world averaged higher scores relative to par there. The law of averages would win. Even if it's course rating is 80, some would some wouldn't.

Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW JPX 900 Tour SPR X
52,56,60 Ping Glide
Putter - Scotty Cameron TEi3 Newport

It all depends on conditions. This is kind of a pointless conversation to just throw out " will he break 85" Zach Johnson won the masters with a +1 score at the end of four rounds. Recently Tiger won it with a score of -13 after they have put in a lot of effort to lengthen the course. Why are the scores different? the wind blew non stop when Z.J. won. It had rained and was playing soft for Tiger.

I would say the answer to the questions is. Maybe.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I have a course in Japan that is tighter than Augusta and the where the trees are there its jungle (OB) at my course. If I had a descent driving day I BELIEVE I could shoot below 85. We play a "from the tips" at that local course and I have shot 77,78, 80 and it plays over 7000 yards. I would love to give it a try through...

Out of curiosity, having no real relevance in this discussion, how many people who believe a scratch can score 85 or less under the criteria ever stepped foot on Augusta National Golf Club? Before I went to the Masters (Monday 2015) I would have been in the yes camp because I thought I knew the course so well after watching three decades plus of Masters coverage on TV. After stepping foot on the course in pre-Masters tournament condition (albeit very close to tournament conditions) I believe under the criteria no. Many of the greens are more severe than how TV depicts. The course is steeper and more undulating that TV shows. While Augusta National Golf Club has wide fairways, being on the wrong side of the fairway makes some approaches very, very tricky. Miss a target on a few greens by a matter of 5-10 feet and the result will be not ideal. If the scratch has a poor putting round I doubt they break 90. The the scratch doesn't have an exceptional short game then they're already behind the 8 ball. If the scratch doesn't have excellent distance control or they cannot generate spin to hold the greens then absolutely no way they break 85. It's not to say some scratch player out there doesn't possess these skills but if they do I would believe they are a + handicap, not just scratch. I wouldn't say a scratch definitively cannot break 85 but I would take that bet any day, **under the original criteria**.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on