Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apologies for bumping an old thread, but these clubs are on RBG for $445, 4-GW.. with the stock modus 3 105 shafts.

Screaming deal.

Real price is $469, but got $24 off with coupon code signup

I read these come with the GP ND grips?

Yeah the blue/black are the standard new decade multi compound grips with Mizuno as the logo.

apologies for bumping an old thread, but these clubs are on RBG for $445, 4-GW.. with the stock modus 3 105 shafts.

Screaming deal.

Yeah the blue/black are the standard new decade multi compound grips with Mizuno as the logo.

well I impulse bought them. Mizuno heads, modus shafts, GP grips.. couldn't pass it up, 2016 club or not.

Screaming deal.

Not seeing these with steel anymore

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

For southpaws, still seem to be available S and R flex with Modus 105. Outstanding irons. I still ho other irons, but this will likely be my third straight season with the 900 HM's in my bag either at the beginning of the season or at some point during the season.

Granted, this deal is new, but it will still run you at least $450 for this deal. Nice condition sets of these (and the 900 Forged to be honest) are generally readily available on the bay at $400 or less.

And just another PSA that I have mentioned before, that the 900 Forged GW is much better IMHO than the 900 HM GW. That one HM club was a dud for me in terms of excessive digging and lack of distance.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

For southpaws, still seem to be available S and R flex with Modus 105. Outstanding irons. I still ho other irons, but this will likely be my third straight season with the 900 HM's in my bag either at the beginning of the season or at some point during the season.

Granted, this deal is new, but it will still run you at least $450 for this deal. Nice condition sets of these (and the 900 Forged to be honest) are generally readily available on the bay at $400 or less.

And just another PSA that I have mentioned before, that the 900 Forged GW is much better IMHO than the 900 HM GW. That one HM club was a dud for me in terms of excessive digging and lack of distance.

I never liked the 900 GW either. Like you said it just seemed to go nowhere compared to the PW. There was just too big of a gap between them. I bought the 900 forged GW & it seemed to fill the gap a little better.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

I never liked the 900 GW either. Like you said it just seemed to go nowhere compared to the PW. There was just too big of a gap between them. I bought the 900 forged GW & it seemed to fill the gap a little better.

I have not seen the 919 HM GW, but I hope they fixed this in the new set. Mizuno got too cute with the 900 HM GW--trying to slim it down, etc. All they need to do is provide a GW that flows nicely from the PW and in reality the balance of the set. Mizunos are already generally pretty low bounce, but whatever they did to the 900 HM GW just makes it a dig machine for me--and it just has no oomph. The rest of the set is not a big issue.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I have not seen the 919 HM GW, but I hope they fixed this in the new set. Mizuno got too cute with the 900 HM GW--trying to slim it down, etc. All they need to do is provide a GW that flows nicely from the PW and in reality the balance of the set. Mizunos are already generally pretty low bounce, but whatever they did to the 900 HM GW just makes it a dig machine for me--and it just has no oomph. The rest of the set is not a big issue.

Totally agree with you. I was hoping they fixed this with the 919 GW as well. If anyone has any insight on this lay it on us.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

i''ll send a pic of mine later - isn't it forged or at least softer? i can't remember i'll have to look again at my sheet

I had the opposite problem with my set GW in that it went as far as the pitching wedge, which I found out over time after airmailing green after green. It started out ok and I couldn't understand people saying it was coming up short all the time but I soon realized that and the pitching wedge were going the same distance.

The forged gap wedge was and is fine, but I use the S18 wedges as I prefer the look of them and I get the expected amount of stop with them. Even with the forged on shots I'd see it roll out a couple of feet further than if have liked which in turn made the putt more important.

so my GW is the 50* which i think has 7* of bounce from my spec sheet from my fitter and their website.

i have only played 2 rounds but it sits on my number of 100 which is great for me and it's the reason i went with 4 wedges if you count the pw.

it feels closer to my s18 than it does to my pw which is good.

Screaming deal.

looks like they've only got them for lefties now in steel.

this is the one time I caught a bargain as a lefty that righties are out of luck on.. normally it's the other way around.

I'm excited for my irons to come in.. I hit the jpx 850 well with 950gh shafts, so the 900s with modus 105's are right up my alley.

• 2 months later...

> @360flip said:

> For someone with a moderate tempo and hits a 150 yard 7 iron, which modus 105 a better fit? Regular of stiff? Scoping out the rockbottom deal.

>

> Thanks!

At 150 7 iron you could hit either. My suggestion would be to get outdoors or to your local retailer and hit both and pick the one that you like the best for feel and ball flight. I don't think you'd over power the regular and the stiff would likely not be too stiff. Being kind of in the middle of both, the decision would boil down to personal preference more than performance I believe.

I've hit Modus 105 quite a bit, I carry Srixon z585 7 iron 160 and would be 105 stiff all day. For me the 105 always feels "loose" but when I hit them outdoors the ball flies high and within a reasonably tight dispersion. That said, I've tried to love the Modus 105 over and over but for me PX LZ 5.5 is a better fit. The LZ 5.5 gives me a slightly lower ball flight with tighter dispersion. For me it seems the extra 10 grams of shaft weight in the LZ is what I need for timing in my swing and not necessarily based on flex.

> @360flip said:

> For someone with a moderate tempo and hits a 150 yard 7 iron, which modus 105 a better fit? Regular of stiff? Scoping out the rockbottom deal.

>

> Thanks!

I have a pretty quick tempo and hit my 900HM 7-iron around 144-145 yards. My set has the stock Modus 105 in R-flex and they seem very smooth at impact but not at all loose during my abrupt transition.

My vote would be for you to get the R, I really like them a lot.

P.S. I have a friend who hit the ball a little farther than I do, he used Modus 105-R in his Ping irons and the shafts fit him perfectly.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @360flip said:

> > For someone with a moderate tempo and hits a 150 yard 7 iron, which modus 105 a better fit? Regular of stiff? Scoping out the rockbottom deal.

> >

> > Thanks!

> I have a pretty quick tempo and hit my 900HM 7-iron around 144-145 yards. My set has the stock Modus 105 in R-flex and they seem very smooth at impact but not at all loose during my abrupt transition.

>

> My vote would be for you to get the R, I really like them a lot.

>

> P.S. I have a friend who hit the ball a little farther than I do, he used Modus 105-R in his Ping irons and the shafts fit him perfectly.

When someone's on the borderline like the OP on this subject, what is the downside/upside of picking an R, and by the same token, what is the downside/upside of picking the S? Is it mostly ball flight and dispersion?

> @chigolfer1 said:

>

> When someone's on the borderline like the OP on this subject, what is the downside/upside of picking an R, and by the same token, what is the downside/upside of picking the S? Is it mostly ball flight and dispersion?

For me, going S has helped with dispersion. I'm a borderline R/S. If I slow my tempo down and get smooth I can reliably hit shaft with more flex. If I don't, then I don't. Of course all R or S are not created equal, so it is relative within a particular shaft.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

• 2 weeks later...

> @Nessism said:

> Snowman9000 wrote:

>

>

> Nessism wrote:

>

>

>

> ....

>

>

>

> Early in my HM career I was concerned with the odd long distance shot but after playing them for a year, about 100 rounds, I've found that to be the least of my troubles.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> So do you feel that the odd flier is more than offset by other attributes?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Definitely. And shots I previously thought were fliers were more my fault with the strike.

Sorry to dig this back up fellas, but I just got a new set of 900 HMs with the Nippon Modus 3 105 stiff shafts and I'm very much struggling with this issue. A few rounds in - I'm getting these fliers with some regularity unfortunately. Distance control has been really tough for some reason. Out of any given 5 hits, I can hit the same club the correct distance 3 times and then the other 2 times I'll end up airmailing the green by a good 20-30 yards. That ball just comes off ridiculously hot off the face and I can't figure out why. It's not limited to any specific club, seems to happen to almost all of them.

I read every single comment on this thread over the last few days and based on Nessism's posts - it may be because the strike is too high on the club face so it has low spin. I don't see the high ball marks on the club face to corroborate this at my end. About 8-10 rounds in with the HMs, I'm starting to get a bit disheartened and thinking of going back to my old set :( I tend to be a digger and take fairly steep divots on good strikes, not sure if that's a factor. Any ideas on what I could try or might be doing wrong? Thanks!

> @fnm said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > Snowman9000 wrote:

> >

> >

> > Nessism wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> > ....

> >

> >

> >

> > Early in my HM career I was concerned with the odd long distance shot but after playing them for a year, about 100 rounds, I've found that to be the least of my troubles.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > So do you feel that the odd flier is more than offset by other attributes?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Definitely. And shots I previously thought were fliers were more my fault with the strike.

>

>

> Sorry to dig this back up fellas, but I just got a new set of 900 HMs with the Nippon Modus 3 105 stiff shafts and I'm very much struggling with this issue. A few rounds in - I'm getting these fliers with some regularity unfortunately. Distance control has been really tough for some reason. Out of any given 5 hits, I can hit the same club the correct distance 3 times and then the other 2 times I'll end up airmailing the green by a good 20-30 yards. That ball just comes off ridiculously hot off the face and I can't figure out why. It's not limited to any specific club, seems to happen to almost all of them.

>

> I read every single comment on this thread over the last few days and based on Nessism's posts - it may be because the strike is too high on the club face so it has low spin. I don't see the high ball marks on the club face to corroborate this at my end. About 8-10 rounds in with the HMs, I'm starting to get a bit disheartened and thinking of going back to my old set :( I tend to be a digger and take fairly steep divots on good strikes, not sure if that's a factor. Any ideas on what I could try or might be doing wrong? Thanks!

Stay the course. It's not the clubs. All my early fears were dispelled with more usage. I'd encourage you to use a urethane ball if you are not already because they will spin more off your irons. Beyond that just keep going and give the clubs more time...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @Nessism said:

> > @fnm said:

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > Snowman9000 wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > > Nessism wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ....

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Early in my HM career I was concerned with the odd long distance shot but after playing them for a year, about 100 rounds, I've found that to be the least of my troubles.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > So do you feel that the odd flier is more than offset by other attributes?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Definitely. And shots I previously thought were fliers were more my fault with the strike.

> >

> >

> > Sorry to dig this back up fellas, but I just got a new set of 900 HMs with the Nippon Modus 3 105 stiff shafts and I'm very much struggling with this issue. A few rounds in - I'm getting these fliers with some regularity unfortunately. Distance control has been really tough for some reason. Out of any given 5 hits, I can hit the same club the correct distance 3 times and then the other 2 times I'll end up airmailing the green by a good 20-30 yards. That ball just comes off ridiculously hot off the face and I can't figure out why. It's not limited to any specific club, seems to happen to almost all of them.

> >

> > I read every single comment on this thread over the last few days and based on Nessism's posts - it may be because the strike is too high on the club face so it has low spin. I don't see the high ball marks on the club face to corroborate this at my end. About 8-10 rounds in with the HMs, I'm starting to get a bit disheartened and thinking of going back to my old set :( I tend to be a digger and take fairly steep divots on good strikes, not sure if that's a factor. Any ideas on what I could try or might be doing wrong? Thanks!

>

> Stay the course. It's not the clubs. All my early fears were dispelled with more usage. I'd encourage you to use a urethane ball if you are not already because they will spin more off your irons. Beyond that just keep going and give the clubs more time...

Thanks, I think that's good advice. I will stay the course for the time being at least. I had a feeling the lie angles needed to be checked and sure enough they were off by 2 degrees, so I'll test again after they are adjusted. I meant to mention this before - my miss with these has been a pull/draw, I rarely ever had that issue in the past.

I have been trying out a couple different balls lately, will definitely go back Pro Vs to make sure that's not part of the issue. Thanks again.

> @fnm said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > > @fnm said:

> > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > Snowman9000 wrote:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Nessism wrote:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ....

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Early in my HM career I was concerned with the odd long distance shot but after playing them for a year, about 100 rounds, I've found that to be the least of my troubles.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > So do you feel that the odd flier is more than offset by other attributes?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Definitely. And shots I previously thought were fliers were more my fault with the strike.

> > >

> > >

> > > Sorry to dig this back up fellas, but I just got a new set of 900 HMs with the Nippon Modus 3 105 stiff shafts and I'm very much struggling with this issue. A few rounds in - I'm getting these fliers with some regularity unfortunately. Distance control has been really tough for some reason. Out of any given 5 hits, I can hit the same club the correct distance 3 times and then the other 2 times I'll end up airmailing the green by a good 20-30 yards. That ball just comes off ridiculously hot off the face and I can't figure out why. It's not limited to any specific club, seems to happen to almost all of them.

> > >

> > > I read every single comment on this thread over the last few days and based on Nessism's posts - it may be because the strike is too high on the club face so it has low spin. I don't see the high ball marks on the club face to corroborate this at my end. About 8-10 rounds in with the HMs, I'm starting to get a bit disheartened and thinking of going back to my old set :( I tend to be a digger and take fairly steep divots on good strikes, not sure if that's a factor. Any ideas on what I could try or might be doing wrong? Thanks!

> >

> > Stay the course. It's not the clubs. All my early fears were dispelled with more usage. I'd encourage you to use a urethane ball if you are not already because they will spin more off your irons. Beyond that just keep going and give the clubs more time...

>

> Thanks, I think that's good advice. I will stay the course for the time being at least. I had a feeling the lie angles needed to be checked and sure enough they were off by 2 degrees, so I'll test again after they are adjusted. I meant to mention this before - my miss with these has been a pull/draw, I rarely ever had that issue in the past.

>

> I have been trying out a couple different balls lately, will definitely go back Pro Vs to make sure that's not part of the issue. Thanks again.

When someone pull draws a shot they close down the loft and the ball shoots out low and left (RH'ed golfer). This almost always results in the ball traveling farther than intended...but not 20-30 yards!

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"