2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @WAB said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > >I've been a solo player first out of the gate with and without a cart more times than I can count, and I can get around in 2:00 to 2:20.

> >

> > I am not doubting your number, but curious as to how you get around so fast (6:36/hole for a 2 hour round). When I'm a single/walking, I get around in about 3-3:15.

> >

> >

>

> On the flatter courses, e.g. Wilmette, Glencoe, I can get around in 2:00 to 2:15. Hit the ball and go. I don't take practice swings on full shots, and I've played the courses enough that I know almost all the breaks on the greens. For a longer course with more distance between the holes it generally adds another 20 minutes. It simply boils down to walking at a brisk pace, and not farting around. Stick a tee in the ground, put the ball on the tee, and hit it. With my Skycaddie I basically know what club I'm going to need before I get to my ball.

I don't think I could play that fast and still score well. I do usually take a single practice swing (at least with my driver) and have a pre-shot routine and take my time on chips and putts. I am not slow and I don't mess around, but I am not racing to the next shot/hole either. More power to you if you can score and play at this tempo. Of course the reality is that unless you are first one out, you will quickly run into the next group and have to either wait or play through, which is never ideal.

> @WAB said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @WAB said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > >I've been a solo player first out of the gate with and without a cart more times than I can count, and I can get around in 2:00 to 2:20.

> > >

> > > I am not doubting your number, but curious as to how you get around so fast (6:36/hole for a 2 hour round). When I'm a single/walking, I get around in about 3-3:15.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > On the flatter courses, e.g. Wilmette, Glencoe, I can get around in 2:00 to 2:15. Hit the ball and go. I don't take practice swings on full shots, and I've played the courses enough that I know almost all the breaks on the greens. For a longer course with more distance between the holes it generally adds another 20 minutes. It simply boils down to walking at a brisk pace, and not farting around. Stick a tee in the ground, put the ball on the tee, and hit it. With my Skycaddie I basically know what club I'm going to need before I get to my ball.

>

> I don't think I could play that fast and still score well. I do usually take a single practice swing (at least with my driver) and have a pre-shot routine and take my time on chips and putts. I am not slow and I don't mess around, but I am not racing to the next shot/hole either. More power to you if you can score and play at this tempo. Of course the reality is that unless you are first one out, you will quickly run into the next group and have to either wait or play through, which is never ideal.

I play better at this pace. My 2 rounds under par last year were about 1:45. Once I start waiting I fall apart. I'd say sometimes it gets to the point of speed golf, but I feel like if I can move quick, get my heart rate up and blood pumping I am able to play better. I have to keep moving. If I am waiting I need to do something.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > 7 hours? Bah. There isn't a course in Chicago that isn't walkable. There are few residential/resort courses with 800 yds between the greens and the next tee boxes. Elevation changes are basically non-existent. If carts sped up golf every resort course in the country would be bragging about their 3 hour rounds. There isn't a course in Chicago that I can't walk in 2.5 hours as a single, or 4:15 with a foursome.

> >

> > Funny, I rarely see a walker at Harborside or Lost Marsh, but rounds are rarely less than 4:15, and often 4:30 or more. OTOH, the courses that I play on a regular basis that are 50% or more walkers (e.g. Wilmette, Glencoe, Sportsman's) have 4 hour rounds the majority of the time, and rarely over 4:20.

> >

> > I've played over 500 rounds in Chicagoland over the past decade. One thing I know for certain is that the likelihood of having a long round increases as the number of carts goes up.

> >

>

> Not sure you can walk Oak Grove in 2.5 hours. We've played it as a 2 some in 3:30 but there are some healthy gaps between greens and tees.

I walk Oak Grove in exactly three hours when i'm trying to play fast. Typically it's 3:20-3:30 when I play at my preferred pace.

This is usually alone on a wide open course after work.

I don't take practice swings unless it's a chip or an awkward lie, but I do spend a little bit of time thinking about and visualizing certain shots.

I will also let my breathing slow down after walking up the hills on four and sixteen.

I've had calf cramps walking sixteen numerous times.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Bear and I were treated to impeccable greens and firm, dry fairways at Prairie View last week so we did the logical thing and returned to the shadows of the Byron nuke plant for another early morning round at PV. It was totally worth the 90 minute drive because the course was completely dry, just as firm and fast as last week, and the greens hadn't changed a bit. The 40 mph winds coming out of the north, on the other hand, made things much more challenging. Bad ball striking with irons certainly didn't help matters. I got away with lots of mistakes on the front and still managed a 37 but made a mess of the back nine en route to a 77.

For round two, we headed to Glen Erin. Speaking of firm and fast with outstanding greens......The wind never stopped howling and on a faux links course it felt like we were in a wind tunnel at all times. I had some wind-aided monster drives on the front but the back there is no joke and the stiff breezes always seemed to be in our face or blowing straight across. The snail's pace the group in front of us was playing at certainly didn't help. It was almost as if the carts they were in slowed them down. Maybe marking every two foot putt also played a role. Given the crazy conditions I'll take my 78.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I totally chickened out this morning. The temps were decent, and the sun felt good, but the 15 mph north winds were rough. I leave for Scotland in a few hours, so knowing that I have 5+ rounds next week makes the decision a little easier. The forecast for St. Andrews looks nice, with mostly sunny skies, highs in the upper 50's to low 60's, and only two days with a chance of showers.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> I totally chickened out this morning. The temps were decent, and the sun felt good, but the 15 mph north winds were rough. I leave for Scotland in a few hours, so knowing that I have 5+ rounds next week makes the decision a little easier. The forecast for St. Andrews looks nice, with mostly sunny skies, highs in the upper 50's to low 60's, and only two days with a chance of showers.

>

hope you have a great trip Arg. look forward to your recaps and pics. safe journey.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @Argonne69 said:

> I totally chickened out this morning. The temps were decent, and the sun felt good, but the 15 mph north winds were rough. I leave for Scotland in a few hours, so knowing that I have 5+ rounds next week makes the decision a little easier. The forecast for St. Andrews looks nice, with mostly sunny skies, highs in the upper 50's to low 60's, and only two days with a chance of showers.

>

Have a great trip and congrats on "500". Looking forward to the pics.

Played Blackstone for the first time. First round of the season after 4 cancellations due to weather. The wind was no joke and neither were the greens, fast and undulating. Ballstriking was brutal but my short game was pretty solid and I managed a 78. I'll be back there again for sure, would love to see it in mid season form because it's already pretty impressive.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

both mornings this weekend at TPC-NB. today was solo and a nice two and half hour walk.

greens in super nice condition. number fourteen pin full back and left. made seventeen green in three, then watched it roll down to the waste area on the right. rolled back up w a hybrid since its smooth as glass there.

Wyle E walked with me on four , then disappeared to find his breakfast.

it's getting nicer out - down to three layers and no hat.

next week at Shepherd's with the Lake County crew.

best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Three layers? It's 73 degrees here in Fife. It'll be 75 and sunny tomorrow at Kingsbarns. Crazy.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @mci711 said:

> Mistwood tomorrow. First "real" chicago round of the year. Jumped around seven bridges 10 times or so, but don't really count those. Last time I was at Mistwood I had a hole in 1 on 14, 210 yard hybrid.. Hopefully there is some more magic 4 years later. Idk why it has taken me so long to get back.

You are in for a treat; amazing experience of public golf at its finest. Due to cost, my goal is to play there once every year.

I tried Bartlett Hills for the first time in my life yesterday. It exceeded my expectations (which were not high). Cool layout with decent conditions. I'm sure the course looks better in a month or two. The pace was horrific as I waited 5-10 minutes on every shot, total 4:40 round. I think the time has arrived to head West and North for future rounds as the nice weather is bringing out the crowds. It was certainly fun while it lasted playing 3 hour rounds at Hilldale, Poplar, Schaumburg, etc.

Mt Prospect today. Beautiful day to be in the course. It’s in decent shape, fairways and greens are firm and fast. The sand is the dusty variety, lots of fried eggs and crappy lies. Drove the ball much better than I usually do, but didn’t hit irons wedges like I expect. Why do they call it golf? Because &@$” was taken.

If we want to start a grouchiest starter/ ranger contest, I’ll start by nominating the guy at Mt Prospect.

> @jimwgt26 said:

> Mt Prospect today. Beautiful day to be in the course. It’s in decent shape, fairways and greens are firm and fast. The sand is the dusty variety, lots of fried eggs and crappy lies. Drove the ball much better than I usually do, but didn’t hit irons wedges like I expect.

**Why do they call it golf? Because &@$” was taken. ** LMAO - tried to Bold your comment - though they haven't gotten that far on the board upgrades yet.

>

> If we want to start a grouchiest starter/ ranger contest, I’ll start by nominating the guy at Mt Prospect.

Ouch, sorry about that Chief.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

• Like 1

Great weekend. Played Palatine Hills Saturday and GCI yesterday. Talk about night and day in terms of conditions. Palatine Hills was in excellent condition and the greens were the best we've played on this year. Cut, rolled and barely any ball marks to be found. Pleasantly shocked by a 3:40 pace of play. Take the wind away and it would have been perfect.

GCI yesterday and surprised by the conditions. Have never thought of GCI as a pristine course but the bunkers were dirts, lots of brown spots in the fairways and the greens were hard and in crappy shape. Not sure there was ever a spot with a smooth putt. Of course, 11 was directly into the wind...is it ever not directly into the wind? For a Sunday afternoon with a relatively packed course, we finished in under 4 hours which was nice. Don't see going back there with so many other great options in our area.

Mistwood was great yesterday. Tee'd off around 10:30 and we played in a little over 3 hours. I guess everyone was at brunch and looking for Easter Eggs. Course was in good shape, driving range is still off mats which I guess is expected for April. Greens were firm, and good speed.

My complaint, which is surprising was the service. Older guy in pro shop was super nice. There was a middle aged guy, probably around 40 who was a big-time d*ck. I call ahead to ask about aeration, and he was very rude (he said his name, that is how I know who it is). He said they hadn't aerated and hung up on me. Then getting into the pro shop my Fiance had a gift card that she had lost, which is totally our fault. But working in the industry and having experience with this situation in the past there was always ways for us to look up old gift cards in the system etc so I asked about that. The answer I got was "No" and no other explanation before he walked away. He had no interest in helping. Also, no one to unload clubs/put clubs on carts, clean clubs at the end etc (I guess no one wanted tips).

Overall loved the course and amenities, beautiful place. Service was below average at best.

> @jimwgt26 said:

> Anyone get out today?

Played Seven Bridges Saturday afternoon. Wind kind of died down by the time we played but it was still strong, beautiful day otherwise. Course was in nice shape, greens rolling pretty quick for April despite some wear from what looked like last season still. Had a couple good moments but for the most part it was a battle to get up and down all day until 14 and 16 did me in, both tee shots dead into the wind and picked a great time to pull my 2 worst swings of the day.

> @jimwgt26 said:

> If we want to start a grouchiest starter/ ranger contest, I’ll start by nominating the guy at Mt Prospect.

Go on. Spill the details.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Got in 9 holes at Mt Prospect in the afternoon after playing hockey early in the morning. Back was sore, but held up better than I thought it would. Got fitted for Mizuno 919 forged irons at Club Champion and took them for their maiden voyage. They put me in lightweight but stiff steel that's 30 grams lighter than the shafts I was working with. Massive difference in feel. Overally hit the ball pretty good for first time out and new clubs. Golf league at Sportsman starts Wednesday night, looking forward to it.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @daveltb said:

> > FYI, for anyone interested, Prairie View in Byron has it's Customer Appreciation Week Free Golf w/ $16 Cart Fee this Monday thru Friday 4-22 thru 4-26.

> > http://www.prairieviewgolf.com/

>

> PV might be the best Value course in IL. Think we pay something like $30 on a weekend to walk.

In my estimation, it is. LD and I were just out there the past two weekends. We paid $18 to walk. The course was in incredible shape.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

> @daveltb said:

> FYI, for anyone interested, Prairie View in Byron has it's Customer Appreciation Week Free Golf w/ $16 Cart Fee this Monday thru Friday 4-22 thru 4-26.

> http://www.prairieviewgolf.com/

Absolutely wonderful course. But the 1:40 it takes me to get there limits it to once a year unfortunately.