2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Got Fit at TrueSpec Golf but very expensive result

cmartinezcharry

I got fit for woods at True Spec and the experience was really good. My prescription is a Cobra F9 Driver with Fubuki T50 shaft, Ping G410 3 wood with Tour AD shaft and a Ping G410 hybrid with OBAN ISAWA RED HB 70. I was surprised all shafts are pretty expensive and they said I can only get those shafts thru them because they´re designed for True Spec. Is it true such shafts can only be acquired thru them? Do they usually fit people into expensive shafts or was I just unlucky that I have to get very expensive clubs?

Thanks

Great day for True Spec! Miraculously you fit into expensive shafts only available through them. What were the chances?

All kidding aside, you can look up the shaft weights, profiles, cpm's, etc, and likely find a close enough match to give you a lot of options.

I'm not a shaft guru, but I am relatively sure someone knowledgeable on this site could give you several great comparables for less money.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I had that experience at a Club Champion. My level of play I would classify as getting back into golf. So no way I swung consistent enough to warrant the shafts they recommended. I did however get an idea of what I needed and then ordered comparable shafts at no up-charge as well. I also ordered Mizuno irons and Ping woods because from doing research on here I felt like the quality control during the build process was at the upper end of the equipment companies.

That is BS. People need to know walking into fitters - how they operate and maybe do more research beforehand / before selecting a fitter.

There is no reason to pay an upcharge of several hundred dollars for 'special' shafts. For normal golfers (vs pros), the difference between a stock or slightly upgraded Mfg offering will be negligible.

Stuff like this burns me up. My brother got 'taken' at Club Champion...while they did a good fitting, his driver cost him $800...then the 3 wood and 5 wood also cost him $800 each...$2,400 for 3 clubs! Of course - same scenario - "special/made for shafts, installed to perfection"...he hits these clubs marginally better than his old ones.

I will also say though, that I got fitted into a specific driver shaft. I then did a fitting to try other very similar profile shafts in the same head - none performed as well (granted, the differences were relatively small - some large) or felt as good as the one I was originally fit into.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Threads like this really don't help my desire to get fit by one of these companies.... I've long wanted to do a full bag fitting as a reward to myself for getting my student loans paid off (which should happen within the next 18-24 months) but don't really want to do that if all they're going to do is try to sell me the most expensive everything. $800 for a 5 wood? Come on. No amateur needs that.

• Like 1

Fitting is a business, a fitter is going to maximize his profit margin. I have had a fitting, several friends have had fittings, there's about a jillion posts here about fittings, and the common denominator is the recommendation for a very expensive aftermarket shaft. Back in the old Bombsquad days, it was all tour issue or it's junk, with, of course, a high dollar shaft. Maybe a very good player with excellent speed will see a marked difference between a moderate upgrade and a high end upgrade, but I doubt it for a hdcp player.

• Like 1

> @monkeyboy said:

> That is BS. People need to know walking into fitters - how they operate and maybe do more research beforehand / before selecting a fitter.

> There is no reason to pay an upcharge of several hundred dollars for 'special' shafts. For normal golfers (vs pros), the difference between a stock or slightly upgraded Mfg offering will be negligible.

>

> Stuff like this burns me up. My brother got 'taken' at Club Champion...while they did a good fitting, his driver cost him $800...then the 3 wood and 5 wood also cost him $800 each...$2,400 for 3 clubs! Of course - same scenario - "special/made for shafts, installed to perfection"...he hits these clubs marginally better than his old ones.

>

>** I will also say though, that I got fitted into a specific driver shaft. ** I then did a fitting to try other very similar profile shafts in the same head - none performed as well (granted, the differences were relatively small - some large) or felt as good as the one I was originally fit into.

What happens when you get fit into a specific driver shaft, and then when you order that shaft and driver head, and it comes, and the shaft is different than the one that you tried in the fitting? Because, we know that there is variation in the manufacture of graphite shafts. A good bit more than they will acknowledge.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

My fitter is a good old country boy. He has a good eye and great results. Fittings are outside, Trackman. After I did irons and Driver with him, he said "I know your swing - you don't need to book sessions for wedge or fairway fittings" and we worked on specs. He made nothing buying the club as he ordered them from Mfg...once in awhile he'd do a custom job and charge a nominal amount.

For most of my clubs, he gave me specs and I ordered myself as I could get better discounts or faster delivery.

I hope he stays in business.

Hard to find people like this.

• Like 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Shaft pricing has really gotten ridiculous over the last 10 years. That is the real problem in my opinion.

Hopefully Costco will start making golf shafts, and then maybe the market will adjust back to some sensibility.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

> @FlyingLaw1 said:

> Threads like this really don't help my desire to get fit by one of these companies.... I've long wanted to do a full bag fitting as a reward to myself for getting my student loans paid off (which should happen within the next 18-24 months) but don't really want to do that if all they're going to do is try to sell me the most expensive everything. $800 for a 5 wood? Come on. No amateur needs that.

If you think about the psychology of a golf fitting. Here is an amateur golfer who is slightly lazy with little to no time to spare. So obviously this amateur is a prime target to “find the easy way out”. And also a target because they “work hard” and “deserve” to play golf well. Right? Is this hitting close to home to anyone here ?

So in essence a full bag fitting is you taking time out of your week or month and plopping Down hundreds of dollars. And you are looking for an answer, a quick fix to vault you into a single digit handicap or even scratch!!

In the back of your mind you know you will be disappointed with the results in the end.

Common sense tells you not to do this, but they pull you in with all their pretty shaft colors .

Moral of the story. You are the best person to fit you! No one knows your game better than you. And this forum is a really good place to get free advice, because we don’t make anything off of you. Nor do we want to.

My advice is to close your wallet like a clam shell. Research , research, research . And only buy golf equipment at rock bottom low prices. Fit yourself! Make the time and don’t be lazy.

> @monkeyboy said:

> That is BS. People need to know walking into fitters - how they operate and maybe do more research beforehand / before selecting a fitter.

> There is no reason to pay an upcharge of several hundred dollars for 'special' shafts. For normal golfers (vs pros), the difference between a stock or slightly upgraded Mfg offering will be negligible.

>

> Stuff like this burns me up. My brother got 'taken' at Club Champion...while they did a good fitting, his driver cost him $800...then the 3 wood and 5 wood also cost him $800 each...$2,400 for 3 clubs! Of course - same scenario - "special/made for shafts, installed to perfection"...he hits these clubs marginally better than his old ones.

>

> I will also say though, that I got fitted into a specific driver shaft. I then did a fitting to try other very similar profile shafts in the same head - none performed as well (granted, the differences were relatively small - some large) or felt as good as the one I was originally fit into.

Hey, leave these poor guys alone. You know it costs a lot of money to get Hank Haney, David Leadbetter, and Jordan Speith to do your commercials.

• Like 1

I can stink the course up with a $500 shaft or a $50 shaft. I'll take the $50 shaft and spend the rest on golf and beer.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @FlyingLaw1 said:

> Threads like this really don't help my desire to get fit by one of these companies.... I've long wanted to do a full bag fitting as a reward to myself for getting my student loans paid off (which should happen within the next 18-24 months) but don't really want to do that if all they're going to do is try to sell me the most expensive everything. $800 for a 5 wood? Come on. No amateur needs that.

I just went through a fitting from them a couple weeks ago. I gained great information on what I needed. They did what I paid them for and gave me a list of my components and price. Yes buying clubs through them is expensive, but you aren't o ligated to buy. The 3 & 5 woods I was fit into would've been around $650 each through them. I bought everything on my own and have maybe $600 in both.

So don't believe someone gets "taken" by them. You don't have to buy from them. That's why it's $350 for the fitting

one option is to pick up a second hand club with specs close to what you were fitted for. if it works, great. if not, just resell the doggone thing. can't lose much going that route.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> one option is to pick up a second hand club with specs close to what you were fitted for. if it works, great. if not, just resell the doggone thing. can't lose much going that route.

That’s what I did. Now I’ll have a couple shafts that were pulled I can sell and offset more of my cost.

I had a similar issue with True Spec. But in fairness most fitters like TS, CC, etc all have similar pricing strategies. I did not go with the recommendation, but was able to get the gist of the profile and head. I ended up working with a couple of other fitters and was really happy. I bite in this process is thy I really liked the person fitting me, just not their pricing structure. If I do some other work in the future and I going to stick with the OEM options first and then see if there is something outside of that. Also, don’t be afraid of going to the shaft companies and talking about your specs. I did that with Paderson, and they were AMAZING!

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

Message the Oban shaft and have them recommend replacement for the supposedly "made for " model at the fitting.

There will be other shaft close to the shaft you were fitted, some choices might cost more and some less but often times you can find something close enough for a lot less. Start looking in the previous year model and even older models from all the manufacturer.

Shaft technology has not changed much over the years but quality and weight had changed with the material and manufacturing process.

There will be other choice that can achieve the similar result without going to the higher end of the price point.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Other thing I notice is I’ve been searching for the specs and haven’t had good luck to find them.

The exact reference I was given for my shafts are as follows:

-MCA FUBUKI T 50 R

-GRAPHITE DESIGN TOUR AD TSG RED 65 R

-OBAN ISAWA RED HB 70 03

The titleist shaft chart is very useful, If I could only find where each shafts sits in the chart I could get an idea of what I need.

Thanks again for your help

> @cmartinezcharry said:

> Thanks for all the comments guys. Other thing I notice is I’ve been searching for the specs and haven’t had good luck to find them.

> The exact reference I was given for my shafts are as follows:

> -MCA FUBUKI T 50 R

> -GRAPHITE DESIGN TOUR AD TSG RED 65 R

> -OBAN ISAWA RED HB 70 03

>

> The titleist shaft chart is very useful, If I could only find where each shafts sits in the chart I could get an idea of what I need.

>

> Thanks again for your help

I would bet that all these shafts are just repaints of previous model leftover stock that they have sold to True Spec.

If you want the best fitting experience do one of two things:

1) learn how to do it yourself. Rent launch monitor time.

2) go to TXG golf in Toronto or watch their videos

Club Champion, TrueSpect, Golftec, etc are not worth the expense they charge for clubs

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Two of OPs clubs are Pings...imo the ping stock tour shafts are excellent, I've read comparisons performance wise to $300+ shafts.

Once shaft weight, length and rough bend profile is in the ballpark, that's about it, rarely stumble upon magic equipment, but hey I get it, hope springs eternal. Lessons helping more than paying double/triple for my g400 max with something other than the tour 75 shaft (from a free outdoor launch monitor fitting session).

My guess is your a Smooth Hitter with those shaft choices and that should make it relatively easy for a simple upgrade on each club.Oban ...love Oban!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

> @johnnythunders said:

> If you want the best fitting experience do one of two things:

> 1) learn how to do it yourself. Rent launch monitor time.

> 2) go to TXG golf in Toronto or watch their videos

>

> Club Champion, TrueSpect, Golftec, etc are not worth the expense they charge for clubs

>

>

You do realize TXG is the exact same business model as CC, TS, Hot Stix, and Cool clubs right? Prices are going to be even higher in Canada, too.

I think it is important to have an open conversation with your fitter before you begin. When I did mine at CC a few years ago; let him know what my goals for my game were and what I was willing to spend to get there. I think it helped produce an honest fitting where he knew I wouldn't plop down $1K+ on a driver setup. We still worked through all the top shelf options and got to see for myself what the difference would be. At the end of the day, even the most expensive set up couldn't beat my Adams gamer. Similarly, we decided there was no real need to bag a 3w and filled that gap instead with a driving iron that hasn't left the bag yet.

Maybe room for a no surprises fitting experience story. Bought my wife a performance iron fitting at Joe and Leighs Performance Center in MA. She's been playing with Men's TM R7s, senior flex because she's 5'9". Fitter ran her through about 25 combinations with negligible Launch Monitor improvement over her TMs. Sure, some had a little better dispersion and/or distance but at the end of the hour he confidently told us what she had was great for her and the cost of an upgrade would not be worthwhile. When the time come for me to get fitted for my next Driver I'm all in.

no one says you cant simply pay for the fitting, get your specs, and go find the same shafts / clubs online or similar characteristics, and have them build elsewhere (or yourself). the internet is your friend.

• Like 1
  • Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball