2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Jimmy Ballard

That glove is key to getting that shoulder in the right position. For me, once the club gets to parallel, it goes behind me and the right shoulder never coils. Stuckville. The glove has really made all the difference, from half way back to the top, the club now goes up with a ton of width. I feel like I grew muscles, fun hitting everything a club and a half longer with no hooks. Of course when you adopt Ballard instruction you hit the ball shorter. {haha}

> @dodger said:

> That glove is key to getting that shoulder in the right position. For me, once the club gets to parallel, it goes behind me and the right shoulder never coils. Stuckville. The glove has really made all the difference, from half way back to the top, the club now goes up with a ton of width. I feel like I grew muscles, fun hitting everything a club and a half longer with no hooks. Of course when you adopt Ballard instruction you hit the ball shorter. {haha}

I have a glove for the right hand and keep forgetting to use it. You're right....it works!!!

Swing with the glove feels more upright, as opposed to around my body (no good).

Good reminder!

Backswing.....

At the top I find with a flat right wrist that the club shaft is more vertical, thus I tend to come over the top and the downswing is VERY steep..

FEEL when I have the club more by my shoulder/butt of shaft pointed at the ball that the weight of my body can come thru the ball correctly and finish to the target.

Rocco looks in a great Vertical Position JB wants when he won Frys5wremw7pj6rk.png

If I have angle in my backswing folding up and back, i cannot spring the shaft very well at all. I find myself going bak to center drill and split hands drill to get the feeling of the outer force. Any angle in the backswing has to be compensated in the downswing. JB doesnt like angles whatsoever. Rocco looks like he struggled taking inside as well as Lyle, but JB has made it clear to me he wants the shaft vertical in the backswing and the thumbs under shaft.

This video clearly shows what I am refering too in the halfway back position

Sutton makes it pretty clear as well

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/hal-sutton-hands-position-full-swing

> @DonRSD said:

> Backswing.....

>

> At the top I find with a flat right wrist that the club shaft is more vertical, thus I tend to come over the top and the downswing is VERY steep..

> FEEL when I have the club more by my shoulder/butt of shaft pointed at the ball that the weight of my body can come thru the ball correctly and finish to the target.

>

>

>

> @Ayersjj said:

> If I have angle in my backswing folding up and back, i cannot spring the shaft very well at all. I find myself going bak to center drill and split hands drill to get the feeling of the outer force. Any angle in the backswing has yo be compensated in the downswing. JB doesnt like angles whatsoever. Rocco looks like he struggled taking inside as well as Lyle, but JB has made it clear to me he wants the shaft vertical in the backswing and the thumbs under shaft.

>

> This video clearly shows what I am refering too in the halfway back position

>

>

> > @DonRSD said:

> > Backswing.....

> >

> > At the top I find with a flat right wrist that the club shaft is more vertical, thus I tend to come over the top and the downswing is VERY steep..

> > FEEL when I have the club more by my shoulder/butt of shaft pointed at the ball that the weight of my body can come thru the ball correctly and finish to the target.

> >

> >

> >

>

Carded my best round EVER today (83) :smiley:

My main focus was set up with the right wrist flat and keep the flat wrist the entire swing. Few swings did not "feel" powerful, but the ball went farther than usual. Accuracy was fantastic!!! Few shots came up short due to wind (South Florida)....but whatever.

I even used the flat right wrist for all my chipping / pitching and putting. Holed a 30 yard pitch and did not 3 putt any hole.

Who knows....maybe the flat right wrist from setup to finish works, maybe I was just timing things today (it happens).

The angles that cause me to hit bad shots, usually hooks, blocks and thin shots, all occur either in the 2nd half of the backswing or in the first half of the downswing. The club goes too far behind me. The flat right wrist is a great thought, but the glove really provides the feel of what up means. The extra foot or two of backswing it gives you does not hurt either. Yesterday I really worked on the right toe pointing at the ball and was amazed at the consistency of my strike. I even hit a half dozen 3 woods off the ground and they were straight bullets. High right side in downswing and a connected left arm helps prevent the left shoulder pull.

I discovered this week that a posture change (again I was exaggerating the tallness JB talks about) and lower hands really keeps the flat right wrist for me without thinking about it. What I'm learning which is probably evident to everyone else ( I'm a little slow lol) is use what works for you within the basic principals of JB's swing theories since everyone is different in body size, swing speed etc.

Quick question. DJ did /do u get fitted for your clubs and if you did how did it change your swing/ball contact etc?

When I use the connector, I find it impossible to wing it. On the course, if I get a case of blocks or flippy hooks, I try to get the left elbow pointing at my belt buckle prior to impact. I find if I try to do it at impact, it still wings. Earlier the better. Also, I notice when my weight goes to the left toe in the downswing, it is easier to get the left elbow down. Not sure any of these are Ballard prescriptions, but they seem to work for me as the poultry arm leaks into my game at least once to twice a round, particularly when there is trouble left.

An additional (re)discovery after my recent lesson with my set up was that if my weight gets too far forward/out towards my toes, it causes a lot of problems for me. Maintaining balance, almost feeling like I have the weight back towards my heels (feel isn't real, though) allows the swing to occur easily. My ball striking was much improved/more consistent last night. So I'm encouraged hoping that I just have to remember everything I've worked on to get my set up correct.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

> @JDFish said:

> An additional (re)discovery after my recent lesson with my set up was that if my weight gets too far forward/out towards my toes, it causes a lot of problems for me. Maintaining balance, almost feeling like I have the weight back towards my heels (feel isn't real, though) allows the swing to occur easily. My ball striking was much improved/more consistent last night. So I'm encouraged hoping that I just have to remember everything I've worked on to get my set up correct.

Remember Sam Snead saying he could lift his toes inside his shoes for weight check feel

Just talked to JB a second ago for a follow up on video lesson

https://jimmyballardgolf.com/video-analysis-by-jimmy/?v=7516fd43adaa

Loading better so I can move thru shot and not reversing as much. Right hip thru needs to be up bc if drops I slide.

Big difference is I dont feel as armsy. The arms were saving shots thru a flip bc I was backing up in a reverse. Center is not stalling as much but still work needed.

Hope this helps some folks that struggle with a reverse pivot and flip!

> @DonRSD said:

> > @Ayersjj said:

> > Just talked to JB a second ago for a follow up on video lesson

> >

> > https://jimmyballardgolf.com/video-analysis-by-jimmy/?v=7516fd43adaa

> >

> > Loading better so I can move thru shot and not reversing as much. Right hip thru needs to be up bc if drops I slide.

> >

> > Big difference is I dont feel as armsy. The arms were saving shots thru a flip bc I was backing up in a reverse. Center is not stalling as much but still work needed.

> >

> > Hope this helps some folks that struggle with a reverse pivot and flip!

> >

> > 7mrzr0w33ezu.png

> > zhv9mphm2udd.png

> >

> >

> >

>

> No link to the video?

It was all over phone. Sent him a video.

The latest from Wozeniak about Spieth. He needs to add a few more folks to this list apparently.

http://www.stevewozeniak.com/2019/03/jordan-spieth-udate/

• Like 1

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Imo they are great players and know how to play with a block. Ricky under pressure starts hooking. Speith has a double miss. Zach disappears. Altogether they have great short games. I went from pulling the handle to the ball all thru college. When I went on mini tours I tried to change and my game struggled bc I didn't know how to play a different way. @56 yo and no tournament pressure change is easier w the local boyz game. On tour it takes some balls to change. I remember when Mark Omeara won the Natl Amateur. He turned pro and was changing w Haney from a ballard looking backswing. I watched Omeara 18 holes @ Heritage not his a green and played out of woods to shoot a 72.

Tiger is flat out genius for the changes hes gone thru and competed.

Bottom line if ur a player winning its hard to change when u cash $$$$$ in

> @dodger said:

> Is there an instructor "teaching" the chicken wing or are they not taking it out because everything else works ok?

Really working on this and I am finding the more I concentrate on just the right hand controlling the backswing and downswing I have great contact with some serious club head speed. Also really great in controlling distance especially on pitches and chips.

On another note in another JB thread a mention of JB making another video was brought up. Any of you JB people know anything about it?