P770? No love?

Kale_m

Digging up an old thread. Anyone still gaming these? I’ve been out for a year with back issues and might be ready to try it again. Think I am going to find a 730 wedge and maybe 9 iron. Those 2 clubs just never really looked quite right.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

I love that people are not loving these - it led to me just picking up a set with 3 rounds on them for $450 CAD. Three of them were never even hit. I tried them on the monitor against JPX900 Forged, my Cobra Forged Tec, and Apex CF16. I liked the flight, feel and consistency of these best - performance was very close between these and the JPX, but these were a little softer feeling and more forgiving on the toe miss I tend to make.

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

> @B-Nads said:

> I love that people are not loving these - it led to me just picking up a set with 3 rounds on them for $450 CAD. Three of them were never even hit. I tried them on the monitor against JPX900 Forged, my Cobra Forged Tec, and Apex CF16. I liked the flight, feel and consistency of these best - performance was very close between these and the JPX, but these were a little softer feeling and more forgiving on the toe miss I tend to make.

I used to play the 770's 3-pw but recently switched it up and went with a mixed set of the p790 3-6 and the p770 7-pw....both are fantastic clubs, I like the 770s a little better but the 790s launch a little better for me in the longer irons..

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 10.5º
Fairways: Taylormade Original One 13.5º & SIM2 21º 
Irons: Taylormade P770 4-6 & P7MC 7-PW
Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind 3 50º, 54º, 60º & Hi Toe 64º
Putter: Taylormade MySpider X Black - 34 inches

Thinking about switching to 760's. My only complaint with the 770's is I have a much harder time working the ball. I thought it was my swing but after a couple range sessions with my old Adams A12pro irons it's more the 770's. Have heard great things about the 760's from folks that have played the 770's and 750's. Seem like a good middle ground. After seeing them in person they are not nearly as ugly as the pictures.

I love my P770's, they are the best irons I've played since my 714 AP2's when you factor in the looks, forgiveness and feel!

The one thing I wasn't as keen on though was the thicker top line on the short irons.....so I picked up a 5-PW set of P750's and will be using them either 7-PW or 6-PW with the P770's at the top end....I looked at the P760's but didn't like the look of the longer irons so saved some money and went down the P770/750 combo route!

> @NDGolfer13 said:

> I like my 770. Had 790 and while long and easy to hit they weren’t markedly longer than my 770. I’d like to possibly try the 760 if the miuras I just purchased don’t make the cut. Or the i500.

I've come across several references to distance loss with the 770s. Honestly, comparing them to same lofts instead of numbers stamped on the iron heads, they are as long as anything (I actually carry the 33* P770 further than the 31* JPX900 Forged 7 iron). I haven't had the pleasure of trying the 790s, but the 770's suit my eye better when comparing the pics. If these weather my typical gear ADHD tendencies and are in the bag any amount of time I may well swap the shafts out for something to lower the flights some, but that's about all I'd change.

• Like 1

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

I have played my 770's, 3-P, KBS Tour FLT, for 2 years.

They are butter out of the center of the face. The distance control is excellent, and I can shape shots with each iron in the set (high, low, right, left). The short irons are excellent and the long irons are easy to hit.

The 770's are a well designed, high quality set of irons, that deliver. Whether they are right for you depends on your ability and your preferences.

I stink at golf and have been gaming them for a year. They do exactly what I want; good spin; no flyers and mis struck shots go short. Came from years of i25 which was great and 1 month of jpx forged 900 which launched low and went long for me.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

The p770 is a brilliant iron I’m stock piling them as I think there on par with the Callaway x forged for feel and workability

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

> @B-Nads said:

> > @NDGolfer13 said:

> > I like my 770. Had 790 and while long and easy to hit they weren’t markedly longer than my 770. I’d like to possibly try the 760 if the miuras I just purchased don’t make the cut. Or the i500.

>

> I've come across several references to distance loss with the 770s. Honestly, comparing them to same lofts instead of numbers stamped on the iron heads, they are as long as anything (I actually carry the 33* P770 further than the 31* JPX900 Forged 7 iron). I haven't had the pleasure of trying the 790s, but the 770's suit my eye better when comparing the pics. If these weather my typical gear ADHD tendencies and are in the bag any amount of time I may well swap the shafts out for something to lower the flights some, but that's about all I'd change.

I agree the 770 look much better at address (to me....I know this is totally subjective) and they are really forgiving in a compact package.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this, just to say I picked up a set of 770s 4-pw recently for $260 so I could combo 7-pw with my p790 4-6!! Shot my best score today +1!! I love these club.. both sets p790 long irons and 770 short! I know it has more to do with my swing than the club, but I'm super happy with the purchase!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Great score!

I just came back to the P770 after playing Srizon Z Forged and Z765 sets most of the year. All great clubs but the P770 is my favorite club of all time. I built this set with Recoil 95's to save my elbows and have them at D2. They do everything I want in an iron and feel SO good doing it. They are easy to move both ways, but resist being over cooked, they are easy to flight up and down, and go through the turf as well as the awesome v-sole of Srixon. Distance is excellent and 100% consistent!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• 5 weeks later...

So do e a bit of looking either then new Titleist cb and t100 off late I can say they are no we’re near as good as the p770 !!! Numbers are similar with the same shaft but just don’t feel solid like the p770

Ow well another season with the p770 for me !!!

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

Hitting these would surprise a lot of golfers. I have played a lot of irons, including multiple Mizuno sets, and the P770 is SO soft.

I put up my best score in 2 years last week. They were fun to have in the bag!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

just got a set of 770s from another wrx'er last week. have been playing trying to play the 790's the last few rounds but don't seem to like them too much. I'm coming from TM tour preferred MB's and the 790's are just taking a lot of getting used too, so I got a set of 770's and they are exactly what I was looking for. How are you guys blending the 770/790, standard loft? 4-5i790 5-p770?

I liked my P770 felt softer and hand a high flight, my issue was that my swing changed (for the better) and they became too low spinning for me because they had Stiff KBS 120 with Soft-Stepped shafts which brought them down to ~115. I could have re-shafted them but opted to sell them and play with my old MP-32's for awhile.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently swinging Callaway x20's (non tour - bought around 8-10 years ago) but have an opportunity to upgrade to P770's still in the wrapper for $450 (standard setup 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shaft). Best part of my game is my iron play so I think these could possibly work for me (low 80's avg). Distance isn't a huge concern - been playing 7irons around 180 lately. Will probably swing by PGA superstore to see if these fit me regardless but figured i'd bounce it off the group.

Dr - Sim2Max - 9* - Ventus Velo Black 6x @ 45in

5w - Sim2Ti - 19* @ 17.5* - Tensei AV Raw Blue FW 75 @ 42.25in

2 UDI - P790 - PX 6.5

4-AW - P790 - PX 6.5

56 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

60 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

Putter - Spider X Navy - Single Bend @ 34in

> @Matty_ICE15 said:

> Currently swinging Callaway x20's (non tour - bought around 8-10 years ago) but have an opportunity to upgrade to P770's still in the wrapper for $450 (standard setup 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shaft). Best part of my game is my iron play so I think these could possibly work for me (low 80's avg). Distance isn't a huge concern - been playing 7irons around 180 lately. Will probably swing by PGA superstore to see if these fit me regardless but figured i'd bounce it off the group.

Did you try them out?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @Matty_ICE15 said:

> Currently swinging Callaway x20's (non tour - bought around 8-10 years ago) but have an opportunity to upgrade to P770's still in the wrapper for $450 (standard setup 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shaft). Best part of my game is my iron play so I think these could possibly work for me (low 80's avg). Distance isn't a huge concern - been playing 7irons around 180 lately. Will probably swing by PGA superstore to see if these fit me regardless but figured i'd bounce it off the group.

$450 isn't that good of a deal. Got mine on eBay brand new this year for like $320 shipped. Doubt PGATSS is going to have these still as they are "replaced" by P760's. They feel pretty similar though to 760s and really my eye can't tell the difference. They blend really well with p790s and I suspect would also blend well with 750s. I may consider going to 750's in the PW and 9i next year and maybe going p790s in the 5i, too. Overall, decent forgiveness for what they are, but they aren't miracle workers. If you miss,,, you still get punished a bit, but not as bad as a blade.

> @barosborough said:

> Thinking about switching to 760's. My only complaint with the 770's is I have a much harder time working the ball. I thought it was my swing but after a couple range sessions with my old Adams A12pro irons it's more the 770's. Have heard great things about the 760's from folks that have played the 770's and 750's. Seem like a good middle ground. After seeing them in person they are not nearly as ugly as the pictures.

> @barosborough said:

> Thinking about switching to 760's. My only complaint with the 770's is I have a much harder time working the ball. I thought it was my swing but after a couple range sessions with my old Adams A12pro irons it's more the 770's. Have heard great things about the 760's from folks that have played the 770's and 750's. Seem like a good middle ground. After seeing them in person they are not nearly as ugly as the pictures.

i would contend the shaft has more to do with work-ability than club face. The lower spinning lofts might contribute slightly, but not a huge amount

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @Matty_ICE15 said:

> > Currently swinging Callaway x20's (non tour - bought around 8-10 years ago) but have an opportunity to upgrade to P770's still in the wrapper for $450 (standard setup 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shaft). Best part of my game is my iron play so I think these could possibly work for me (low 80's avg). Distance isn't a huge concern - been playing 7irons around 180 lately. Will probably swing by PGA superstore to see if these fit me regardless but figured i'd bounce it off the group.

>

> $450 isn't that good of a deal. Got mine on eBay brand new this year for like $320 shipped. Doubt PGATSS is going to have these still as they are "replaced" by P760's. They feel pretty similar though to 760s and really my eye can't tell the difference. They blend really well with p790s and I suspect would also blend well with 750s. I may consider going to 750's in the PW and 9i next year and maybe going p790s in the 5i, too. Overall, decent forgiveness for what they are, but they aren't miracle workers. If you miss,,, you still get punished a bit, but not as bad as a blade.

i have played 770 750 and 730

if you can hit a 770 and a 750, i would not bother with the 750 in short iron. basically the same, just one degree more loft. Id go p730 in short irons. Also if you have decent swing speed and contact, id avoid the 790 5 iron. Roll-out and gapping becomes an issue. For example, i game them right now while traveling. my p790 4 iron goes above 230 yard if i crush it. my p770 5 iron goes 215. That gapping issue would be too much for me between 5 and 6 iron.

if you dont have good swing speed and contact, id stay away from 750 and 730

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

> @extrastiff said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @Matty_ICE15 said:

> > > Currently swinging Callaway x20's (non tour - bought around 8-10 years ago) but have an opportunity to upgrade to P770's still in the wrapper for $450 (standard setup 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shaft). Best part of my game is my iron play so I think these could possibly work for me (low 80's avg). Distance isn't a huge concern - been playing 7irons around 180 lately. Will probably swing by PGA superstore to see if these fit me regardless but figured i'd bounce it off the group.

> >

> > $450 isn't that good of a deal. Got mine on eBay brand new this year for like $320 shipped. Doubt PGATSS is going to have these still as they are "replaced" by P760's. They feel pretty similar though to 760s and really my eye can't tell the difference. They blend really well with p790s and I suspect would also blend well with 750s. I may consider going to 750's in the PW and 9i next year and maybe going p790s in the 5i, too. Overall, decent forgiveness for what they are, but they aren't miracle workers. If you miss,,, you still get punished a bit, but not as bad as a blade.

>

> i have played 770 750 and 730

> if you can hit a 770 and a 750, i would not bother with the 750 in short iron. basically the same, just one degree more loft. Id go p730 in short irons. Also if you have decent swing speed and contact, id avoid the 790 5 iron. Roll-out and gapping becomes an issue. For example, i game them right now while traveling. my p790 4 iron goes above 230 yard if i crush it. my p770 5 iron goes 215. That gapping issue would be too much for me between 5 and 6 iron.

> if you dont have good swing speed and contact, id stay away from 750 and 730

If I wanted a more compact short iron I wouldn't do 730's, I have 0 appetite for a blade. I'd probably just move into 760's and see how that worked. I have no issue gaming the 790 5i and maybe even the 6i... I have decent speed and play courses that tend to be softer. Never had issues with balls rolling too far on greens, even the 4i. Where I saw issues was strikes higher on the face that seemed to either spin lower than norm or have higher speed. Would consider 790 4 & 5, 770 6 and 7, then 760 8, 9 PW.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @extrastiff said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @Matty_ICE15 said:

> > > > Currently swinging Callaway x20's (non tour - bought around 8-10 years ago) but have an opportunity to upgrade to P770's still in the wrapper for $450 (standard setup 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shaft). Best part of my game is my iron play so I think these could possibly work for me (low 80's avg). Distance isn't a huge concern - been playing 7irons around 180 lately. Will probably swing by PGA superstore to see if these fit me regardless but figured i'd bounce it off the group.

> > >

> > > $450 isn't that good of a deal. Got mine on eBay brand new this year for like $320 shipped. Doubt PGATSS is going to have these still as they are "replaced" by P760's. They feel pretty similar though to 760s and really my eye can't tell the difference. They blend really well with p790s and I suspect would also blend well with 750s. I may consider going to 750's in the PW and 9i next year and maybe going p790s in the 5i, too. Overall, decent forgiveness for what they are, but they aren't miracle workers. If you miss,,, you still get punished a bit, but not as bad as a blade.

> >

> > i have played 770 750 and 730

> > if you can hit a 770 and a 750, i would not bother with the 750 in short iron. basically the same, just one degree more loft. Id go p730 in short irons. Also if you have decent swing speed and contact, id avoid the 790 5 iron. Roll-out and gapping becomes an issue. For example, i game them right now while traveling. my p790 4 iron goes above 230 yard if i crush it. my p770 5 iron goes 215. That gapping issue would be too much for me between 5 and 6 iron.

> > if you dont have good swing speed and contact, id stay away from 750 and 730

>

> If I wanted a more compact short iron I wouldn't do 730's, I have 0 appetite for a blade. I'd probably just move into 760's and see how that worked. I have no issue gaming the 790 5i and maybe even the 6i... I have decent speed and play courses that tend to be softer. Never had issues with balls rolling too far on greens, even the 4i. Where I saw issues was strikes higher on the face that seemed to either spin lower than norm or have higher speed. Would consider 790 4 & 5, 770 6 and 7, then 760 8, 9 PW.

gotcha, just pointing out the gaps would probably noticeable between the 5 and 6. and that the 750 (or 760) does not offer anything significant over the 770 unless you want weaker lofts, in which case id just bend and stick with the head size of the 770s. just food for thought

> @extrastiff said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @extrastiff said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @Matty_ICE15 said:

> > > > > Currently swinging Callaway x20's (non tour - bought around 8-10 years ago) but have an opportunity to upgrade to P770's still in the wrapper for $450 (standard setup 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shaft). Best part of my game is my iron play so I think these could possibly work for me (low 80's avg). Distance isn't a huge concern - been playing 7irons around 180 lately. Will probably swing by PGA superstore to see if these fit me regardless but figured i'd bounce it off the group.

> > > >

> > > > $450 isn't that good of a deal. Got mine on eBay brand new this year for like $320 shipped. Doubt PGATSS is going to have these still as they are "replaced" by P760's. They feel pretty similar though to 760s and really my eye can't tell the difference. They blend really well with p790s and I suspect would also blend well with 750s. I may consider going to 750's in the PW and 9i next year and maybe going p790s in the 5i, too. Overall, decent forgiveness for what they are, but they aren't miracle workers. If you miss,,, you still get punished a bit, but not as bad as a blade.

> > >

> > > i have played 770 750 and 730

> > > if you can hit a 770 and a 750, i would not bother with the 750 in short iron. basically the same, just one degree more loft. Id go p730 in short irons. Also if you have decent swing speed and contact, id avoid the 790 5 iron. Roll-out and gapping becomes an issue. For example, i game them right now while traveling. my p790 4 iron goes above 230 yard if i crush it. my p770 5 iron goes 215. That gapping issue would be too much for me between 5 and 6 iron.

> > > if you dont have good swing speed and contact, id stay away from 750 and 730

> >

> > If I wanted a more compact short iron I wouldn't do 730's, I have 0 appetite for a blade. I'd probably just move into 760's and see how that worked. I have no issue gaming the 790 5i and maybe even the 6i... I have decent speed and play courses that tend to be softer. Never had issues with balls rolling too far on greens, even the 4i. Where I saw issues was strikes higher on the face that seemed to either spin lower than norm or have higher speed. Would consider 790 4 & 5, 770 6 and 7, then 760 8, 9 PW.

>

> gotcha, just pointing out the gaps would probably noticeable between the 5 and 6. and that the 750 (or 760) does not offer anything significant over the 770 unless you want weaker lofts, in which case id just bend and stick with the head size of the 770s. just food for thought

760's would probably be more for the sole than anything else in the short irons... I can sometimes get a touch steep and the grind would hopefully help get the club in and out of turf faster.

I'd probably just weaken the 5i... I weakened the 790 4i a little bit to match the 770 5i in gapping. Yeah something to stew on.... season almost over for me anyway, something to tinker with next year.