Going to bite the bullet and buy my first range finder

Alright guys, I won 240 bucks with a little masters betting fun (thank you Tiger!) and I want to buy a range finder. I really have no idea what makes a good range finder/ what I need it to do. I am willing to spend the whole 240 on one, but if there is a cheaper model that seems like the right option I will be more then happy to spend the rest elsewhere. I really do not want to go the watch route.

Questions:

What do you feel is necessary in a range finder?

Is buying used a problem here?

What would your recommendation be?

Take a look at this WRX article on Range Finders www.golfwrx.com/528344/golfwrx-members-choice-the-best-laser-rangefinders-of-2018/ " WRX article on Range Finders")

Precision Pro is a good bet.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Accurate & Fast. The good ones cost a pretty penny so I've learned to live without them. My GPS gives me all the data I need for the most part and honestly...Playing to flags ends up getting me in trouble a lot. Center of the green and give me a birdie putt, even if its 30 feet. Very rarely am I landed an iron within 2-3 yards of where I was trying to anyway, and I'm trending to single digits right now.

Saw our name mentioned here a couple of times and thought we'd chime in real quick! We make accurate and quality rangefinders that are affordable. The NX7 Pro Slope is currently on sale for $229.99 and the NX7 for $189.99 through Wednesday so you don't have to spend all that money you won ; ) Both the NX7 Pro Slope and NX7 have Pulse Vibration and FREE batteries for life!! Here are some reviews to help as well.

https://www.precisionprogolf.com/reviews/

Hope this helps! -Trey D.

• Like 1

i have the nx7 pro, vibe and slope. absolutely love it, and for half the price of the rest - i see literally no difference. plus it comes with a slick green and grey case for the bag. oh, and i just got my first free replacement battery! i cant wait for the nx9 - i am all over it.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

As mentioned many times on this and other threads, the PP NX7 is a great unit and the Golf Buddy @ $199 is solid, absolutely no reason to spend way more on Bushnell/Leupold as the technology is pretty much the same now on grabbing the Flag and instant accurate yardage...... I would even argue they are better quality as well and not the "Plastic' feel of the V4. Good luck.

I decided to go with the precision pro NX7 pro. Seems to be talked up pretty well here and in other places. Also its not 500 dollars, which IMO is just too much for these kind of devices. I am excited to finally have my own laser, because I very much enjoyed using it whenever someone else had one. Thanks guys!

> @Lefty96 said:

> I decided to go with the precision pro NX7 pro. Seems to be talked up pretty well here and in other places. Also its not 500 dollars, which IMO is just too much for these kind of devices. I am excited to finally have my own laser, because I very much enjoyed using it whenever someone else had one. Thanks guys!

Welcome to the family!!

Looks like a lot of folks here like the NX7. Is that unit waterproof? I'm looking for one that will double as a unit for hunting in the fall. Do you know if many people use this unit for 'dual purpose'?

Thanks!

> @"Precision Pro Golf" said:

> > @Lefty96 said:

> > I decided to go with the precision pro NX7 pro. Seems to be talked up pretty well here and in other places. Also its not 500 dollars, which IMO is just too much for these kind of devices. I am excited to finally have my own laser, because I very much enjoyed using it whenever someone else had one. Thanks guys!

>

> Welcome to the family!!

>

> @IndyArcher said:

> Looks like a lot of folks here like the NX7. Is that unit waterproof? I'm looking for one that will double as a unit for hunting in the fall. Do you know if many people use this unit for 'dual purpose'?

>

> Thanks!

>

>

>

> > @"Precision Pro Golf" said:

> > > @Lefty96 said:

> > > I decided to go with the precision pro NX7 pro. Seems to be talked up pretty well here and in other places. Also its not 500 dollars, which IMO is just too much for these kind of devices. I am excited to finally have my own laser, because I very much enjoyed using it whenever someone else had one. Thanks guys!

> >

> > Welcome to the family!!

> >

>

>

The NX7 isn't waterproof but water resistant. I've played with mine and set it down in the wet grass during those early morning rounds before the dew has burned off and haven't had an issue. I wouldn't go submerging it underwater but rain should be fine.

People do use it for both golfing and hunting. Not sure how many though.

> Saw our name mentioned here a couple of times and thought we'd chime in real quick! We make accurate and quality rangefinders that are affordable. The NX7 Pro Slope is currently on sale for $229.99 and the NX7 for $189.99 through Wednesday so you don't have to spend all that money you won ; ) Both the NX7 Pro Slope and NX7 have Pulse Vibration and FREE batteries for life!! Here are some reviews to help as well.

>

> https://www.precisionprogolf.com/reviews/

>

> Hope this helps! -Trey D.

Going to buy one this week! Thanks for sponsoring GolfWRX, it definitely made up my mind about what I was buying...

My only question is on the slope feature... Obviously it adds cost, but does it have a measurable value? I wanted to stay around $200 for a range finder, so I'm curious if it's worth the extra cost.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @"Precision Pro Golf" said:

> > Saw our name mentioned here a couple of times and thought we'd chime in real quick! We make accurate and quality rangefinders that are affordable. The NX7 Pro Slope is currently on sale for $229.99 and the NX7 for $189.99 through Wednesday so you don't have to spend all that money you won ; ) Both the NX7 Pro Slope and NX7 have Pulse Vibration and FREE batteries for life!! Here are some reviews to help as well.

> >

> > https://www.precisionprogolf.com/reviews/

> >

> > Hope this helps! -Trey D.

>

> Going to buy one this week! Thanks for sponsoring GolfWRX, it definitely made up my mind about what I was buying...

> My only question is on the slope feature... Obviously it adds cost, but does it have a measurable value? I wanted to stay around $200 for a range finder, so I'm curious if it's worth the extra cost.

This is a great question! I think that the slope feature has the most measurable value if you place golf courses that have a lot of elevation changes. We are based in Cincinnati and have quite a bit of elevation change with a lot of elevated greens. It can save some upwards of 3-4 strokes around by taking out that guessing to an elevated green. If you are playing much flatter courses, you could get away without slope for sure. Hope this helps! - Trey D.

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > @"Precision Pro Golf" said:

> > > Saw our name mentioned here a couple of times and thought we'd chime in real quick! We make accurate and quality rangefinders that are affordable. The NX7 Pro Slope is currently on sale for $229.99 and the NX7 for $189.99 through Wednesday so you don't have to spend all that money you won ; ) Both the NX7 Pro Slope and NX7 have Pulse Vibration and FREE batteries for life!! Here are some reviews to help as well.

> > >

> > > https://www.precisionprogolf.com/reviews/

> > >

> > > Hope this helps! -Trey D.

> >

> > Going to buy one this week! Thanks for sponsoring GolfWRX, it definitely made up my mind about what I was buying...

> > My only question is on the slope feature... Obviously it adds cost, but does it have a measurable value? I wanted to stay around $200 for a range finder, so I'm curious if it's worth the extra cost.

>

> This is a great question! I think that the slope feature has the most measurable value if you place golf courses that have a lot of elevation changes. We are based in Cincinnati and have quite a bit of elevation change with a lot of elevated greens. It can save some upwards of 3-4 strokes around by taking out that guessing to an elevated green. If you are playing much flatter courses, you could get away without slope for sure. Hope this helps! - Trey D.

I'm actually over the river in Louisville and play Hunting Creek... it has a fair amount of elevation change. You guys should come out and play a round so we can test it! :smiley: (I am happy to host you guys if you want to make the trip!)

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I purchased a Golf Buddy LR5 last year and having spent $120 on that (brand new) I have to believe that costly rangefinders are a complete scam.

My LR5 is everything you could want: accurate, fast, and simple to use. It's as good or better than all my buddies' expensive Bushnell units. Heck, it'll shoot out to 300-yards if you're steady enough. It's the same shape and size as any other rangefinder. If I told you it was a super, duper $300 model you'd believe me.

But it only cost $120.

Truth is, this tech isn't that hard to package into something affordable. Anybody still considering paying north of $150 doesn't realize what's out there.

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Well said MelloYello! The technology is close to the limit on grabbing the Flag accurately and not getting background trees etc, 5 years ago Bushnell/Leupold were superior but as technology goes the competition catches up and the price goes down....the problem for the Bushnells of the World is going backward in price never happens so they just keep adding features that really are not needed to justify the high price. As you say anyone that continues to pay the $300 plus price has not done the research!

> @swgolfer said:

> Well said MelloYello! The technology is close to the limit on grabbing the Flag accurately and not getting background trees etc, 5 years ago Bushnell/Leupold were superior but as technology goes the competition catches up and the price goes down....the problem for the Bushnells of the World is going backward in price never happens so they just keep adding features that really are not needed to justify the high price. As you say anyone that continues to pay the $300 plus price has not done the research!

Yeah, I can shoot whatever I want: flags, bunkers, trees...and it registers immediately. It lives in it's little case clipped to my bag (or to my ClicGear when walking).

There is literally no downside to this LR5. It's perfect and hasn't missed a beat since I got it. I've used it every round since I got it and I haven't even replaced the battery since buying it.

I will say, upgrading to a rangefinder was a huge difference-maker for me. My wedge game took a huge step forward not guessing on all those shorter numbers where I figured eyeballing it was as good as my Garmin GPS.

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS