G410 irons...took the leap

bamagolf

> @danman44 said:

> seems like people are loving these clubs more now everybody is playing on grass.. I have been playing i15s for nearly 10 years with some success 2.7hc but now I live in China and refuse to pay 200usd to play a crappy course Im hitting off matting and I cant hit my irons for **** off mats

Time to move!

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I keep coming back to these thinking i should buy a 4-SW set.....Not sure i'm ready to take the G plunge again. But they really are an appealing big club

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @LaymanM said:

> > @danman44 said:

> > seems like people are loving these clubs more now everybody is playing on grass.. I have been playing i15s for nearly 10 years with some success 2.7hc but now I live in China and refuse to pay 200usd to play a crappy course Im hitting off matting and I cant hit my irons for **** off mats

>

> Time to move!

haha... business is good and Chinese wife ...so.. not likely

• Like 2

> @Nessism said:

> > @Cwing said:

> > Any comparisons out there to Taylor Made p790?

>

> P790's are in a totally different class. i500 type clubs.

I dont disagree. That stated, I’m still playing g25 and also have a set of Adams Pro Gold Forged that I put in the bag from time to time. The p790 looks like it would be between the two. I’m a ping fan hence the interest in the g410. I don’t really have interest in i500 due to sound/feel.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @LaymanM said:

> FWIW PING will NOT reswing weight these irons. My set came in at d0 and i decided they feel a little light. I have added 2 grams of lead tape to get them to d1. A little unsightly with the lead tape on the back but I like the small amount of extra weight. PING customer service rep said the weights are glued in place in the toe and hosel.

>

> Not a big deal as I have a ton of lead tape on my G410 driver lol

>

> Edit: I LOVE these irons!!!!

Can you order them a different swingweight? Kinda odd for PING. The one thing that bothered me with PING irons was the low standard swingweight. Every set I ordered I built to D2 or D3....

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

> @mantan said:

> > @LaymanM said:

> > FWIW PING will NOT reswing weight these irons. My set came in at d0 and i decided they feel a little light. I have added 2 grams of lead tape to get them to d1. A little unsightly with the lead tape on the back but I like the small amount of extra weight. PING customer service rep said the weights are glued in place in the toe and hosel.

> >

> > Not a big deal as I have a ton of lead tape on my G410 driver lol

> >

> > Edit: I LOVE these irons!!!!

>

> Can you order them a different swingweight? Kinda odd for PING. The one thing that bothered me with PING irons was the low standard swingweight. Every set I ordered I built to D2 or D3....

Not sure, I didn't ask since I already own the set. I was disappointed to learn they wont change them. Not sure if you can pull the shaft and install tip weights??

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

My problem is I meant to order them the same specs as my old i25’s but ping only heard: make them the same length.... they told me they’d adjust the sw BUT it was going to cost me shipping plus per club. I was so irratated I didn’t even bother to find out how much it would have cost. I expected more from their customer service, but it’s all good.

I’m usually pretty quick to stop using a product or a business if i get bad customer service, but these darn irons are so good, I’ll forgive them......

> @LaymanM said:

> > @mantan said:

> > > @LaymanM said:

> > > FWIW PING will NOT reswing weight these irons. My set came in at d0 and i decided they feel a little light. I have added 2 grams of lead tape to get them to d1. A little unsightly with the lead tape on the back but I like the small amount of extra weight. PING customer service rep said the weights are glued in place in the toe and hosel.

> > >

> > > Not a big deal as I have a ton of lead tape on my G410 driver lol

> > >

> > > Edit: I LOVE these irons!!!!

> >

> > Can you order them a different swingweight? Kinda odd for PING. The one thing that bothered me with PING irons was the low standard swingweight. Every set I ordered I built to D2 or D3....

>

> Not sure, I didn't ask since I already own the set. I was disappointed to learn they wont change them. Not sure if you can pull the shaft and install tip weights??

Definitely disappointing. They used to just put in a different weighted port in the back. I haven't had a chance to hit them yet. I played the G25s for years and just switched this season. I always come back to PING at some point, there stuff is just great.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Y'all are really tempting me to pull the toe screw, and please don't say it can't be done.

A little frustrated with myself. I ordered a 6,7,8 iron when they were first released. I made the decision to go with graphite due to elbow pain. I originally tested the irons in cold weather with my winter swing and was not thrilled so I benched them. Two rounds ago I made the decision to give them another shot and wow. They are fantastic. The fact is I am not good enough nor do I practice enough to play a less forgiving club.

I am frustrated that I went graphite though. They perform well, but the AWT actually performed better in testing. I've been able to cure/control my elbow pain with flexbar exercises, so now I must decide weather to switch to AWT and buy the 9 and PW.

I actually really enjoy the sound and feel. It's a nice deep thwack to my ear.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

> @Wooderson said:

> Y'all are really tempting me to pull the toe ****, and please don't say it can't be done.

>

> A little frustrated with myself. I ordered a 6,7,8 iron when they were first released. I made the decision to go with graphite due to elbow pain. I originally tested the irons in cold weather with my winter swing and was not thrilled so I benched them. Two rounds ago I made the decision to give them another shot and wow. They are fantastic. The fact is I am not good enough nor do I practice enough to play a less forgiving club.

>

> I am frustrated that I went graphite though. They perform well, but the AWT actually performed better in testing. I've been able to cure/control my elbow pain with flexbar exercises, so now I must decide weather to switch to AWT and buy the 9 and PW.

>

> I actually really enjoy the sound and feel. It's a nice deep thwack to my ear.

I would keep the graphite with the mid and get the awt with the short. In case you’ll find the short massively superior, you could change the shafts afterwards

• Like 1

My g25 came at D0. It was never an issue. I had a set of TM 790 that also came in at D0 and I couldn’t feel them at all.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Cwing said:

> > My g25 came at D0. It was never an issue. I had a set of TM 790 that also came in at D0 and I couldn’t feel them at all.

>

> Cwing, are you saying the g25s didn't feel super light to you but the TMs that were also D0s felt like feathers and did bother you?

Absolutely correct and I have no idea why. I sold off the 790 as a result.

There is no issue with the pings which are still in the bag but those 790’s had zero feel during the swing.

Interesting, I recently I hit a 790 at a demo day with stiff Nippon gh950 and loved it. My 790 had stiff Modus 105.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

> @Cwing said:

> My g25 came at D0. It was never an issue. I had a set of TM 790 that also came in at D0 and I couldn’t feel them at all.

Cwing, are you saying the g25s didn't feel super light to you but the TMs that were also D0s felt like feathers and did bother you? > @Cwing said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @Cwing said:

> > > My g25 came at D0. It was never an issue. I had a set of TM 790 that also came in at D0 and I couldn’t feel them at all.

> >

> > Cwing, are you saying the g25s didn't feel super light to you but the TMs that were also D0s felt like feathers and did bother you?

>

> Absolutely correct and I have no idea why. I sold off the 790 as a result.

>

> There is no issue with the pings which are still in the bag but those 790’s had zero feel during the swing.

>

> Interesting, I recently I hit a 790 at a demo day with stiff Nippon gh950 and loved it. My 790 had stiff Modus 105.

>

>

>

Got it and thanks

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Cwing said:

> > My g25 came at D0. It was never an issue. I had a set of TM 790 that also came in at D0 and I couldn’t feel them at all.

>

> Cwing, are you saying the g25s didn't feel super light to you but the TMs that were also D0s felt like feathers and did bother you?

Swing weight is also shaft dependent. If you have a shaft with a soft tip, D0 might feel just fine. On the other hand, if you have a shaft with a firm tip, you might need D3 for the same response.

Fitting is such an art.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Dg xp s300 in my g25. The TM 790 had Modus 105 stiff. The TM 790 demo I hit had Nippon GH 950 stiff. It was a head from the fitting cart so I have no idea of the swingweight or total weight.

I’m honestly not sure of the total weight of any of them but those 790 Modus 105 did not work at all.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

> @"Little Ned" said:

> I wish they didn’t have the red accent color. That’s a deal breaker for this Clemson Tiger.

Red looks fantastic with the black. I was very concerned about the finish but hydropeal 2.0 has been amazing and looks great after quite a few rounds. PING hit a homerun with G410 irons.

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @sdedalus23 said:

> Anyone finding that they are getting fliers or low spinners on the course? Like the idea of these, but in the summer when the greens are hard, I am a bit worried about holding the greens. **Also, any low handicappers playing these? **

Look 3 posts above yours...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @sdedalus23 said:

> Anyone finding that they are getting fliers or low spinners on the course? Like the idea of these, but in the summer when the greens are hard, I am a bit worried about holding the greens. Also, any low handicappers playing these?

Not at all. Spin and trajectory has been really solid. One thing I was slightly worried about. Has been a non issue so far. I've played enough rounds now where I would have experienced it like I have with other sets. Non issue at this point for me. My handicap is around 7. Have shot par 2 of last 3 weeks in my weekly league now.

A few things stick out for me now having played quite a few rounds.

1. Easy distance. Very confident in these irons threw 4 iron. I get repeatable and useable distance. 4 iron is also a monster of the tee and has become a very useful shot for me. Carrying 7 iron around 170 yards. 160- 205 shots have gotten a lot better.

2. Directional control. I haven't had any big misses to left or right. Irons have been really solid and have provided a ball flight I was expecting.

3. Great stopping power. According to trackman, I did lose a fraction of spin with these from my z785 irons. However, on course performance due to height i have been getting anywhere from 1 foot roll out to many balls backing up on the green. I dont expect to have many issues come summer. As with most irons I have, they stay where they land.

4. GiR are way up. This was the biggest reason I changed, besides a love for PING. Eye 2 were my first real set of irons at 13 years of age. Played them until I was 30. So some found memories there. Tonight I hit 8 of 9 greens, if I didn't have a OB it would have been 9 of 9 as I hit the green from 170 yards with 7 iron. My iron play has become more solid. I think I am hitting on average 3 more greens per round then my Srixon z785 irons. Good days are much better and so are my off days.

• Like 2

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @sdedalus23 said:

> Yeah - saw that about the even par round. I guess I worry a bit because I play in some state and regional tournaments and the greens get a bit dicey in the summer. I like the idea of the forgiveness, but don't want to give up moderate stopping power. Also, how are they out of thick rough?

Understand your concern. I havent noticed anything from my Srixon Z785 as far as stopping distance. My ball stops very close to its mark and quite a few times has backed up. Stopping power had been of ZERO concern. Non issue so far with amount 9 rounds in. I have my distance pretty sorted out by this point. Amazing thing is I can play these irons with a nice controlled swing. Distance and accuracy is there, so no worries about stopping power. End result GIR is way up.

I have had good luck out of thick rough and sand. Hit a beautiful 124 yard 9 iron out of a fairway bunker today. Hit green. Little 3/4 swing.

They to demo some if you can! Cant recommend them enough

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

You guys have to stop saying all these great things about the 410's. I had myself convinced to staying with my G25's. Doubt is now in my brain and I am a weak man.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving