Titleist 718 AP2 and Srixon Z785

BCULAW

With the change to WRX I don’t know if I’ll see your comment after I make my comment because I can’t seem to find anything I’m active on for some reason but anyways I’ve had both I currently play the 785 and I find them very more forgiving and easier to hit then titlest I love the sole on the 785 you cannot go wrong I’m actually considering the muscle back version because I’ve heard the whole blade is forgiving all the way across it’s like a huge sweet spot

• Like 1

I hit both a while back. If I remember correctly, the ap2 might have a little smaller footprint. The 785 have a little more face and higher toe. Both feel really good. I was very impressed with the ap2 as I think the deep has been greatly improved. Feels more like a single piece forging than passed iterations. Maybe a touch more offset in ap2, but I would be guessing based on looks. I’m looking at both currently as well. Need less offset than what I have now in the 8-pw.

• Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Searching…  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Feel, not deep...stupid autocorrect

Searching…

Searching…  

I've played both and prefer the Srixon. Both are very forgiving, Srixons are a little larger but feel is exceptional.

Last year I had the 765s for a while but the bulky short irons were a turn off for me. The 785 short irons look much better.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

> @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> I've played both and prefer the Srixon. Both are very forgiving, Srixons are a little larger but feel is exceptional.

>

> Last year I had the 765s for a while but the bulky short irons were a turn off for me. The 785 short irons look much better.

I see you are playing the 120's......How do you like them and do you feel they play week to flex as many say?

> @wobgon said:

> > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > I've played both and prefer the Srixon. Both are very forgiving, Srixons are a little larger but feel is exceptional.

> >

> > Last year I had the 765s for a while but the bulky short irons were a turn off for me. The 785 short irons look much better.

>

> I see you are playing the 120's......How do you like them and do you feel they play week to flex as many say?

I’m curious about this as well. I fit solidly into KBS Tour 130x, but the heavy extra stiff shafts beat me up over the course of the round. I have the AP2s shafted with KBS 130x and just picked up the z785s with a set of 130 x-stiff pulls waiting, but I’m going to give the modus 120 stiff shafts a run first.

I've found the 120S to be very playable. I thought they would be too soft, but they are not. I played the 120X in the 765s and I don't feel like the 120S is really that much softer feeling. Performance has been fine. I don't feel like I have to go after every single shot to get the shaft to perform. Working the ball seems a little easier. YMMV.

PXG Bat Attack H

> @BCULAW said:

> > @wobgon said:

> > > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > I've played both and prefer the Srixon. Both are very forgiving, Srixons are a little larger but feel is exceptional.

> > >

> > > Last year I had the 765s for a while but the bulky short irons were a turn off for me. The 785 short irons look much better.

> >

> > I see you are playing the 120's......How do you like them and do you feel they play week to flex as many say?

>

> I’m curious about this as well. I fit solidly into KBS Tour 130x, but the heavy extra stiff shafts beat me up over the course of the round. I have the AP2s shafted with KBS 130x and just picked up the z785s with a set of 130 x-stiff pulls waiting, but I’m going to give the modus 120 stiff shafts a run first.

Modus 120 stiff are 114g

Coming from 130gram KBS X-flex shafts I wouldn’t expect those to stay in your new Srixons after your first range session.

• Like 1

> @danielryanw said:

> > @BCULAW said:

> > > @wobgon said:

> > > > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > > I've played both and prefer the Srixon. Both are very forgiving, Srixons are a little larger but feel is exceptional.

> > > >

> > > > Last year I had the 765s for a while but the bulky short irons were a turn off for me. The 785 short irons look much better.

> > >

> > > I see you are playing the 120's......How do you like them and do you feel they play week to flex as many say?

> >

> > I’m curious about this as well. I fit solidly into KBS Tour 130x, but the heavy extra stiff shafts beat me up over the course of the round. I have the AP2s shafted with KBS 130x and just picked up the z785s with a set of 130 x-stiff pulls waiting, but I’m going to give the modus 120 stiff shafts a run first.

>

> Modus 120 stiff are 114g

> Coming from 130gram KBS X-flex shafts I wouldn’t expect those to stay in your new Srixons after your first range session.

That's a possibility, but from the sound of his previous post he may be wanting to move into something lighter. I've moved away from heavy X in my irons this season as the heavier, stiffer shafts were "beating me up" as well. I can play the X flex shafts but after 18 holes they tire me out. I will be 48 this year, so I'm getting old, haha.

Brian - are you fairly adaptive when it comes to shaft flex and weight? I find some golfers are and some are not. I am adaptive and after a small bucket of range balls I can adjust to a different shaft weights. If you're a lefty we can meet up and you can hit these and see what you think.

PXG Bat Attack H

> @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > @danielryanw said:

> > > @BCULAW said:

> > > > @wobgon said:

> > > > > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > > > I've played both and prefer the Srixon. Both are very forgiving, Srixons are a little larger but feel is exceptional.

> > > > >

> > > > > Last year I had the 765s for a while but the bulky short irons were a turn off for me. The 785 short irons look much better.

> > > >

> > > > I see you are playing the 120's......How do you like them and do you feel they play week to flex as many say?

> > >

> > > I’m curious about this as well. I fit solidly into KBS Tour 130x, but the heavy extra stiff shafts beat me up over the course of the round. I have the AP2s shafted with KBS 130x and just picked up the z785s with a set of 130 x-stiff pulls waiting, but I’m going to give the modus 120 stiff shafts a run first.

> >

> > Modus 120 stiff are 114g

> > Coming from 130gram KBS X-flex shafts I wouldn’t expect those to stay in your new Srixons after your first range session.

>

> That's a possibility, but from the sound of his previous post he may be wanting to move into something lighter. I've moved away from heavy X in my irons this season as the heavier, stiffer shafts were "beating me up" as well. I can play the X flex shafts but after 18 holes they tire me out. I will be 48 this year, so I'm getting old, haha.

>

> Brian - are you fairly adaptive when it comes to shaft flex and weight? I find some golfers are and some are not. I am adaptive and after a small bucket of range balls I can adjust to a different shaft weights. If you're a lefty we can meet up and you can hit these and see what you think.

I am quite adaptive to the extent that I have played well with KBS 130x and DGR400 in the last year or so. That said, I seem to adapt best to either end of the spectrum (heavy or light, extra stiff or regular) and tend to have mediocre results with what I would characterize as middle of the spectrum options like dgs300 or PX5.5.

The test will be the high end of the bag. I'm taking full rips with the 4 and 5 irons, and the shaft can tend to feel loose. I have the KBS Tours on the ready if I need them. I recently dropped down the stiff flex in the driver and 3 wood with awesome results. I'm crossing my fingers that these Modus shafts will bring similar fortune.

Really interested to hear some more feedback after a few more rounds. I agree with you on ap2. They just perform really well!

Searching…

Searching…  

I have to some srixons waiting for me 5,6 iron Z785 and 7-P Z blade with Modus 120's. I hit them a few times inside into a net and found the Zblade pretty easy to hit and had great feel.....Can't wait to get them to the course if it ever stops raining in NE. I've hit and played AP2's and really liked them but the Srixon's just look Sexy AF.

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

> @BCULAW said:

> After my last round, I'm frankly having a hard time seeing how the Srixons could perform better than the AP2s. Easily one of the best performing irons I have tried, and the specs seem to be pretty dialed in for me. It will be interesting g to see. The srixons certainly look the part.

Have you noticed any discernible difference in spin/height etc?

> @balls_deep said:

> > @BCULAW said:

> > After my last round, I'm frankly having a hard time seeing how the Srixons could perform better than the AP2s. Easily one of the best performing irons I have tried, and the specs seem to be pretty dialed in for me. It will be interesting g to see. The srixons certainly look the part.

>

> Have you noticed any discernible difference in spin/height etc?

Just took both sets out for the first time today for a quick nine. Actually, I had my set of AP2s, and took along the p, 6, and 4 of the 785s. I didn't have my best swing, so take it for what it is worth.

IMO, the AP2s definitely felt better - more muted with a little deeper sound off the face. Some of this may have been due to the shaft difference (KBS 130x v. Modus 120s), but I definitely preferred the AP2s in that respect.

The Srixons are longer in the long irons - again, the shaft could be contributing, but I hit what I felt was a very solid 4 iron off the tee this morning with the AP2. I followed with 2 balls with the 785s. Same line, same flight, but I could tell both were a little longer. I was surprised to find that both were an easy 10-15 yards longer than the AP2. I also hit a couple of full AP2 5 iron into a par 3 that ended about 5 yards short of pin high (one right and one left of the pin). I hit the 785 6 iron for giggles, and it finished a yard or two past pin high and left, on the same line as my fist 5 iron.

I'm still trying to decide if I like the sole grind on the 785s. The AP2s are very nice through the dirt, and the Srixons, for the most part, seemed at least their equal with the 6 and 4. I did, however, have a couple of wedge shots with the 785s that seemed to slide under the ball a bit, rather than compress it into the turf. I expected short, spinny results, but the ball seemed to carry close to expected distances. It may just be a dramatic difference in feel that I am experiencing. In other words, the ball may be compressing, but the wedge is just faster through the turf.

The AP2s are outstanding irons, and they are spec'd out nicely for me at the moment. That said, I hit enough really nice shots with the Srixons to continue the testing. I may slap a KBS 130x shaft in the 6 iron for a true "head to head" next round. I'll keep updating this thread with my findings.

One thing I will say for certain is that the RTX4 is a superior product to the Vokey SM7s I have. For me, they spin more and feel better, and it isn't very close. If the AP2s win out, the question for me is whether I can overcome my bag OCD and put Cleveland wedges next to Titleist irons!!!

• Like 1

This is great! Please keep us posted as you continue to test. Just went to a Titleist Thursday and tested ap2 vs my bridgestones on trackman. I have modus 120 stiff and found I was getting incredibly high spin rates with my 7 iron. Like over 8000! Long carry but high spin. Eventually tried ap2 with dg X100 and was getting really good results. Bridgestones definitely feel better as they are a 1 piece forging, but hard to argue with results. I need to test some more as well, but initial performance was really good. Then the question becomes whether I want to go the route of shaft changes or a full on change of manufacturer. Looking forward to your further results.

Searching…

Searching…  

I've just sold my 718s. I bought them brand new, used them quite a bit and sold them for what I bought them for. Great irons but the AMT wasn't quite right for me. Prefer KBS by a long shot. Also like the LZ and haven't tried modus for ages. I've got a beat up set of 714 AP2 with KBS coming on Monday from global golf again to play until I get a fitting (30 day return policy). I'm also considering picking up a set of 765 with KBS for cheap that are in great shape to test and sell if I don't like them. I'm interested in the V sole as our conditions are so soft here. I just can't justify have expensive irons right now. I want to spend the money on golf and lessons. I played a round with an old set and shot the same score as my brand new 718s. Just couldn't justify a $500 difference for the same result. Plus KBS my contact is so much more consistently centred for some reason shaft just fits me better.

I've owned and played extensively with both. Here are a few thoughts:

AP2's are slightly harder to hit but spin more. If you are a lower spin iron player then the AP2's will help you keep the ball in the air.

Z785's are longer with lower spin. They have a 2* loft bump which accounts for some of the distance gain but I picked up at least a full club throughout the bag with the Srixons.

Z785's feel better but they both feel good.

I went from AP2 718 to Srixon Z785 and have no regrets.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

Agree. Srixon feels better and are a fair bit longer. I would hit a 5 iron to carry 180 with my AP2 I'm now hitting a soft 6 or hard 7. Stopping power not as good. Srixon better through the ground. Going for a loft fitting in the next day or two and will check the spin on monitor and get lofts bent if needed. I don't need the distance these are providing.

> @balls_deep said:

> I've just sold my 718s. I bought them brand new, used them quite a bit and sold them for what I bought them for. Great irons but the AMT wasn't quite right for me. Prefer KBS by a long shot. Also like the LZ and haven't tried modus for ages. I've got a beat up set of 714 AP2 with KBS coming on Monday from global golf again to play until I get a fitting (30 day return policy). I'm also considering picking up a set of 765 with KBS for cheap that are in great shape to test and sell if I don't like them. I'm interested in the V sole as our conditions are so soft here. I just can't justify have expensive irons right now. I want to spend the money on golf and lessons. I played a round with an old set and shot the same score as my brand new 718s. Just couldn't justify a $500 difference for the same result. Plus KBS my contact is so much more consistently centred for some reason shaft just fits me better.

Yeah Globalgolf Ive used them extensively for demoing of clubs buy if dont like-send back pay shipping.

Tested AP2 vs 765 on sim last night. 765 over 1000rpm lower than AP2. Got them to bend 765 to same loft as AP2 still around 600rpm lower or more. Tried 785 with Modus it spun a bit more and felt great but still borderline. Just not a good fit for me. Shame the feel and turf interaction is unmatchable. I'll try to get fit for them one I work my swing out a bit more and I can work with someone to get them numbers right. Ill have to be at least 2 weak on the lofts for them though.

Noticed some comments here about the modus 120's......I have tried at least 6 times over the years to make them work, and this is my last, (although I have said that before)…..Something about them that I can't put my finger on. Not really that they are soft to flex, but there seems to be no umph in the head when you strike the ball...….Now I will say I have always liked heavy shafts and play s300's more than anything else......I have a new set of z785's that the only club hit is the 7 iron....I would love to throw another shaft in the 7 but want to keep them original for the bst…….

> @lordemsworth said:

> Wobgon - how do you like the z785?

I have only hit the 7 iron a few times and like always for me, they don't feel right with the modus 120 shaft......I bought these online with this shaft even though I knew better......I have hit the 785's indoors in a shop with s300's and thought they were great.

:o

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Curious to hear more feedback on this as well.

Searching…

Searching…  

For me, the additional distance is noticeable. I hit the 785 four iron nearly a club and a half longer on my best strikes compared to the ap2. I attribute at least some of this to spin, but have had zero issues stopping the ball. I'm not a numbers guy. If the ball goes far and then stops as expected, then spin is fine in my book.