2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tiger wins. Can't find a spot in the muni parking lot now.

BeerPerHole

The "Tiger Effect" on golf participation has always been completely overblown. In 1996, before Tiger turned pro there were 24 million regular golfers in America (regular as defined by enjoying at least eight rounds per year). Then there was a relatively small uptick from 1997-2000, reaching 27 million. But it didn't last. From 2000-2010 the percentage of golfers declined by 10%. Today, the number of golfers in America stands at...24 million. Right where it was before Tiger turned pro.

I'm all for growing the game but it's important to admit that golf is a niche sport, and always will be. It's expensive, time consuming, and ridiculously hard to play.

• Like 3

> @youdamantiger said:

> The "Tiger Effect" on golf participation has always been completely overblown. In 1996, before Tiger turned pro there were 24 million regular golfers in America (regular as defined by enjoying at least eight rounds per year). Then there was a relatively small uptick from 1997-2000, reaching 27 million. But it didn't last. From 2000-2010 the percentage of golfers declined by 10%. Today, the number of golfers in America stands at...24 million. Right where it was before Tiger turned pro.

>

> **I'm all for growing the game but it's important to admit that golf is a niche sport, and always will be**. It's expensive, time consuming, and ridiculously hard to play.

I subscribe to this view.

Golf is hard. If you are going to enjoy golf, you have to admit that it is damn frustrating, and then deal with it. But it sure can be fun, as well.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @youdamantiger said:

> The "Tiger Effect" on golf participation has always been completely overblown. In 1996, before Tiger turned pro there were 24 million regular golfers in America (regular as defined by enjoying at least eight rounds per year). Then there was a relatively small uptick from 1997-2000, reaching 27 million. But it didn't last. From 2000-2010 the percentage of golfers declined by 10%. Today, the number of golfers in America stands at...24 million. Right where it was before Tiger turned pro.

>

> I'm all for growing the game but it's important to admit that golf is a niche sport, and always will be. It's expensive, time consuming, and ridiculously hard to play.

Agreed. Also the uptick in golf course construction was well underway in the early-mid 90s before TW was even known.

This thread reminds me of the lady that saw Jesus in the smoke or burned in on the toast... Hilarious!

> @youdamantiger said:

>

> I'm all for growing the game but it's important to admit that golf is a niche sport, and always will be. It's expensive, time consuming, and ridiculously hard to play.

Pretty much.Its passed on from fathers to sons and daughters. Not easily accessible and as you said pricey. Courses have done themselves no favors with policies either. 2 Courses i used to teach and affiliate with were sold while I was working there. Their new management deemed it a great idea to start charging junior golfers 500$-750$ for yearly fees when they were free previously. I went from teaching junior clinics and day camps with 70+ kids to 10-12 kids in just one summer. these kids would eat at the club everyday ( on their dads tab ) and were only allowed to play after 2 when the courses were dead. They bought junior clubs from the pro shop and clothing to the tune of 100s and 1000s of dollars per summer. i know because I co ran the proshops. We were doing 4-5k in US kids gear alone. Its just the way it is.

• Like 1

Lotta mocks being sold ; )

Now Nike is basking in “The Tiger Effect” as Woods scored a surprising victory at 2019 Masters Championship this past Sunday. Nike stock increased 4.9% in the week through April 18, boosting its market cap to $140.2 billion, up from $117 billion at the start of 2019.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/hayleycuccinello/2019/04/20/who-got-rich-this-week-nikes-phil-knight-scores-254-million-after-tiger-woods-wins-the-masters/amp/

> @gvogel said:

> > @youdamantiger said:

> > The "Tiger Effect" on golf participation has always been completely overblown. In 1996, before Tiger turned pro there were 24 million regular golfers in America (regular as defined by enjoying at least eight rounds per year). Then there was a relatively small uptick from 1997-2000, reaching 27 million. But it didn't last. From 2000-2010 the percentage of golfers declined by 10%. Today, the number of golfers in America stands at...24 million. Right where it was before Tiger turned pro.

> >

> > **I'm all for growing the game but it's important to admit that golf is a niche sport, and always will be**. It's expensive, time consuming, and ridiculously hard to play.

>

> I subscribe to this view.

> Golf is hard. If you are going to enjoy golf, you have to admit that it is **** frustrating, and then deal with it. But it sure can be fun, as well.

yep ... golf can be fairly affordable in many areas, but the time required to play and especially the time/patience required to master it is not conducive to the average american, especially in this day and age of instant gratification in just about every aspect of life ...

> @Jagpilotohio said:

> Yep. Went to the range yesterday. Every single spot taken at 4:00 in the afternoon. Over 100 people. Many parents with kids. Tiger effect in full force. Just Wait till he wins the PGA next month. Craziness.

Interesting as i noticed a huge uptick in parents with kids hitting our local indoor practice facility after the Masters win.. (closing this month after 30 years to develop a massive condo complex.. :( ) I've been out practicing for the past month and it's normally filled with seniors and 40 somethings with disposable income as it's quite pricey @$40/hour.

Hit the track yesterday and noticed a larger than normal amount of players.. many wearing black and red.. many 40+ caps grinding over putts, like Tiger... So yeah, definitely brings out those noobs.. which is a great thing for the game itself.

Just need to avoid the intermediate level tracks, if you don't want to deal with the noobs.. Or join a private club. :)

Titleist....

I've noticed nothing.

Nothing's changed around here.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @BeerPerHole said:

> I was reminded this past few days of the time when I took up golf. I think it was a little more than 2 decades ago. Tiger had hit the scene and they were building courses all around here like crazy. Multiple great practice facilities sprung up around town too to take part in the boom. Since then I've seen a few courses fold. It's been easier and easier to get a tee time, vs 20 years ago. ****...I remember not being able to call a couple days early and getting a Saturday tee time. But, Tiger, as we all know, just won The Masters again. Hugged his kids this time at the same spot where he hugged his dad. This week the parking lot at our mega-muni mega night range place is full. Even during times when most of us are at work. Pretty neat to see, I have to say. So...yeah...I understand what they mean when they say Tiger's good for golf. I think his popularity might have brought out the gumbas ("MASHED POTATOES!") fans. But, he seems to make the game popular. Last night at our range practice sessions I saw a lot of people I've never seen before. Many guys around 30 who are taking up the game, wrestling with trying to figure out how a swing happens, etc...

>

> There's my Friday editorial...

When all those windmills start slashing again and the scores do not improve, they will retreat to their previous activities.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

> @Jagpilotohio said:

> It’s funny the masters is a week before Easter.

> The symbolism is clear. Golf’s savior has triumphantly risen from the dead. It’s a miracle.

Yep, I was definitely one of those disciples who completely disbelieved Mary Magdalene when she told us Tiger's last back surgery was completely successful. I had to see the surgery prints in his back and watch him eat fish and honeycomb washed down with Monster energy drinks before I would believe.

I think golf may gain traction at places like Top Golf and bar sims etc. I think I read ClubCorp is entering this space

I don't think golf as a whole, and 5 hour rounds, 7 hours of commitment with drinks and/or lunch and commute times will turn around. Kids today have almost no attention span.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @Ferguson said:

> If golf courses offered free on-course wifi, a deal where people paid for only the holes they played well, along with a wide selection of deeply discounted caffeinated beverages - the courses would be jam packed.

And don’t forget the fruit flavored JUUL Pod refills sold from the drink cart..

> @youdamantiger said:

>

LOL Using common sense.. shame on you.

Tiger effect

**Tiger Woods comeback fueling optimism for local golf course**

Posted yesterday at 4:53pm by Terry Kovarik

Northbrook Golf Club and Grill in Luxemburg expects to open the first week of May and Tiger Woods is raising hopes for a great season. Woods victory at The Master's Tournament drew hundreds to the course just to catch the action on TV. Club Pro Dave Spengler expects the “Tiger effect” to generate more interest in golf, especially among young people.

https://doorcountydailynews.com/news/436601

https://www.journal-news.com/news/the-tiger-effect-butler-county-golf-courses-expect-upswing-rounds-after-historic-masters-win/KWQiNd5THvqRm0VT78ZZiI/

****The ‘Tiger Effect’: Butler County golf courses expect upswing in rounds after historic Masters win

FAIRFIELD —

**Tiger Woods’ historic win this past weekend at the Masters is expected to have an impact on golf courses across the country.**

It’s known as the “Tiger Effect,” said Fairfield Parks and Recreation Director Tiphanie Howard.“When Tiger wins, it increases the participation rate of our golf rounds tremendously,” she said, as well as golf rounds at all municipal and local golf courses.

Woods exploded on the golf scene in 1996 when he turned pro, and rounds of golf jumped at Fairfield’s South Trace 18-hole course. They continued year-over-year increases over the first four-years of his career. Howard said typically after a Woods win, golf rounds pick up. She expects rounds at the city’s Fairfield Greens South Trace and North Trace, a 9-hole course, will increase.

> @cardoustie said:

> I don't think golf as a whole, and 5 hour rounds, 7 hours of commitment with drinks and/or lunch and commute times will turn around. Kids today have almost no attention span.

Also people like me, I use to play golf a decent amount. Once I had a kid I tried to keep my golf alive by getting a SkyTraks and net so I could practice at home. I currently just can't justify spending 5-6 hours away from my family on the weekend when I know the weekend is already packed with activities/chores that need to be done.

I haven't played golf since January and normally that would be such a long time I'd be itching to get out there, but I really have no desire this year. It's simply because spending 5-7 hours away from my family on the weekend isn't really something I can justify anymore. It's not just people with no attention span, it's also people like me with a lot of other competing priorities. Golf slides down that priority list pretty quickly.