Titleist AVX: seems that i don't get the yardage I expected

CMBaviator_FR

Hi guys,

Before switching to the AVX, i was gaming the Srixon ZSTAR XV. I'm a high launch and high spin player and i'm always trying to find a ball that reduced my iron spin while maintainning the spin with wedges and chips.

Heard about the AVX last year, i was like: it seems to be the perfect fit for me.

To give you my specs:

98-102mph with a 6i (apex pro 14) mesured by track man / ball speed 134-137 mph ( yellow range ball) 140-144 mph (avx ball) mesured with a ES14 ( tends to underestimate ball speed by 1-2 mph)

Driver:

SS ( no idea) / Ball speed : 170-173 mph mesured with a ES14 ( tends to underestimate ball speed by 1-2 mph).

at the beginning of 2018 i found on the course that the AVX gave me 5 meters more carry compared to my XV.

but now after comparing the carry, tour pros get for their ball speed, I feel like i'm very short for the amont of ball speed i'm generating.

I carry a 7i 165/170 meters with a ball speed in the 135-138, a full 7i is 140 ball speed on ES14 on a good contact and thats with the AVX ball whereas tour pro with same ball speed, same club and use higher spinning ball and carry like 180/185 meters.

I good example was on a par 3 that was 145 meters/ 160y, <5 mph of helping wind, for the test, i hit a full 9i, should normally be a soft 9i. I generated a 125 mph ( on ES14) with that 9i and it only pitched pin high... I've seen on Pro tracer, pros hitting their 9i at 118-120 mph and carrying 150m/165y.

The problem is that i have a shallow angle of attack and not delofting = high launch and lhigh spin.

Maybe it's me but I found myself short compared to the ball speed i get, i was wondering if you guys can confirm it or not

with the AVX ball on course and ES14 ball speed number

9i: 120-125 mph bs / 140-145m carry

8i: 128-132 mph bs /155-160m carry

7i: 135-140pm bs / 165/170m carry

6i : 140-43 mph bs / 175-180 carry

5i: 145-150 mph bs / 190-195m carry

4i: 149-152 pmh bs / No Idea

3i: 149-153 mph bs/ no idea

hybrid 17°: 155-161 mph bs/ No idea

Driver: 170-173 bs / No idea

So i guess that if i play a prov1 or pro v1x, i would losse easily 5-8 yards of carry for the same ball speed, which would be insanely short

It amazed me to see Rory playing the highest spinning ball of his sponsor and carry a 7i with 139 mph bs above 200y with i'm struggling passing 190y...

I've seen reviews where the AVX gave like -1000 rpm with the iron but it was slower ball speed than mine like 115-122mph with a 7i, i don't have any review that gives spin number for higher swing speed.

So because you aren't hitting the ball as far as a top PGA pro it's the balls fault? How about the golf swing is more than just about clubhead speed. It sounds to me you should focus more on launch angle. The spin along with the high launch angle will also kill your distance. The ball could contribute to the spin and effectively further reduce your distance. So yes it could be the ball but you identified a swing problem so I would focus more on that. Stick with a ball you know or find one that reduces your spin and continue to work on your swing. With those swing numbers I expect you have a fairly low handicap, assuming you can control the club at those speeds.

i played an AVX all day yesterday - found no loss of distance -- if anything, a few times i got more than i was expecting. had 206 in, hit 7i and flew the green (pin was in the back, but still)

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

You’re worried about something you shouldn’t be worried about.

...or you are trolling us.

P.s. AVX is a low spin low trajectory ball. It’s not going to carry as far as a XV or a TP or a proV for most people. Do you think there might be a reason no pro I can think of uses them?

I found same as Mcgeeno- 1/2+ longer than the Irons for me. Driver I found be same pretty much the same as the Bstone Tour BX I had been playing. I played the AVX for the first ever yesterday in a 25 mph windstorm. Found I had a much easier time controlling trajectory with the AVX than the Tour BX.

Came in under par on the day...I have found my new ball.

AVX is longer on average with all clubs for me also.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Well i'm 4.7 handicapper but have lots potential I was told if ony I can get better around the green and better wedges shot: I'm better at hitting a 7i iron rather than a 100y sand wedge not mentionning i'm having hard time reading greens..

here is a TM image from a lesson I took nearly 1 year ago ** (6i / soft range balls: srixon yellow range balls)**

xxz4dvnbcnwk.jpeg

Since i have improved slightly my contact, ie more ball speed for the same club head speed **(image from ES14/ hard range ball)**

1xmj7fbt1ep4.jpeg

The ES14 tends to underestimate the ball speed by 1mph in main cases and overestimate club head speed by 3-5 mph.

**With my M1 2017 17° hybrid: ** For a reason, it seems that it overestimates a lot the CHS, was 107-110 on TM last year **( AVX ball)**

rw0ilgbwfb6d.jpeg

9ehy24d6ta5g.jpeg

**Driver ( AVX ball):**

ge0hp9vjns8f.jpeg

Anyway, just received my mevo today so this WE, i'll be able to get better data regarding LA and spin.

I agree I have a swing issue: AoA to shallow with irons and dynamic loft quite high

> @SaltyFox said:

> I found same as Mcgeeno- 1/2+ longer than the Irons for me. Driver I found be same pretty much the same as the Bstone Tour BX I had been playing. I played the AVX for the first ever yesterday in a 25 mph windstorm. Found I had a much easier time controlling trajectory with the AVX than the Tour BX.

> Came in under par on the day...I have found my new ball.

Yeah same for me, mainly due to the -800/-1000 rpm spin on the irons, it helps me getting a slight feeling of control because of my high apex, easier to control in windy conditions

I've got to de-lurk just to make what I hope is a helpful rather than mean comment...

As a 5-handicap amateur, you can only cause yourself grief and frustration by comparing your distances with irons to some of the longest hitters and best golfers in the world. There's just nothing good can come of it. You'd be much better off treating your own measurements as a baseline then tracking improvement or not relative to that baseline.

> @"North Butte" said:

> I've got to de-lurk just to make what I hope is a helpful rather than mean comment...

> As a 5-handicap amateur, you can only cause yourself grief and frustration by comparing your distances with irons to some of the longest hitters and best golfers in the world. There's just nothing good can come of it. You'd be much better off treating your own measurements as a baseline then tracking improvement or not relative to that baseline.

I agree, but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.

Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

> @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > I've got to de-lurk just to make what I hope is a helpful rather than mean comment...

> > As a 5-handicap amateur, you can only cause yourself grief and frustration by comparing your distances with irons to some of the longest hitters and best golfers in the world. There's just nothing good can come of it. You'd be much better off treating your own measurements as a baseline then tracking improvement or not relative to that baseline.

>

> I agree, but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.

>

> Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

>

> I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

You're probably one of the shortest hitters on this forum and I'd recommend playing a Pinnacle.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

> @CMBaviator_FR said:

> **I carry a 7i 165/170 meters** with a ball speed in the 135-138, a full 7i is 140 ball speed on ES14 on a good contact and thats with the AVX ball whereas tour pro with same ball speed, same club and use higher spinning ball and carry like 180/185 meters.

>

> I good example was on a par 3 that was 145 meters/ 160y, <5 mph of helping wind, for the test, i hit a full 9i, should normally be a soft 9i. I generated a 125 mph ( on ES14) with that 9i and it only pitched pin high... I've seen on Pro tracer, pros hitting their 9i at 118-120 mph and carrying 150m/165y.

>

> The problem is that i have a shallow angle of attack and not delofting = high launch and lhigh spin.

>

> Maybe it's me but I found myself short compared to the ball speed i get, i was wondering if you guys can confirm it or not

>

> with the AVX ball on course and ES14 ball speed number

>

> 9i: 120-125 mph bs / 140-145m carry

> 8i: 128-132 mph bs /155-160m carry

> 7i: 135-140pm bs / **165/170m carry**

> @gvogel said:

> > @"Lomo Saltado" said:

> > Only on WRX do people complain about hitting their 7i 185 yards.

>

> Ha ha - the funny thing is that the OP was talking meters, not yards. So his 7i was longer than 185 yards!

Funny thing is 170 meters = 185.9 yards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so I guess you're right,,,,,,,,,,,, Ha ha

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Most of the comments are right, you shouldn’t be focusing on carrying a 7 iron 200 yds. Nobody is trying to carry a 7 iron 200 yards, it means you don’t have control and are swinging too hard. Better players will limit their distance to a target distance for consistency, I.e. no fliers. I don’t know a single good player that hits his 7 iron better than his wedges, that’s a symptom of swinging too hard. If you are doing 180 bs on drivers you should have pitch shots or max sw on most par 4, you’ll never need a 7 iron.

Spin control and consistency (no fliers) is key. I’m a +2 hit my 7 iron 170 with a prov1. I’ve never thought about what my ball speed with my 7 is, I have a 10-12 yd gap between all my irons. My ball selection isn’t based on my iron distance because I almost never full swing any iron. I have to control spin and shot shape. Back pin on a green running 11 and table top I’m lowering my trajectory and running it out, front pin I might full shot and spin back. Side locations I’m working on my shape. Not once am I focusing on hitting harder or want more distance. That’s how you shoot lower scores.

Side note, as you get older you’ll lose all that power, I’ve dropped 10 mph in the past 5 years and I’m still a better player today than I was before.

> @Pittknife said:

> Most of the comments are right, you shouldn’t be focusing on carrying a 7 iron 200 yds. Nobody is trying to carry a 7 iron 200 yards, it means you don’t have control and are swinging too hard. Better players will limit their distance to a target distance for consistency, I.e. no fliers. I don’t know a single good player that hits his 7 iron better than his wedges, that’s a symptom of swinging too hard. If you are doing 180 bs on drivers you should have pitch shots or max sw on most par 4, you’ll never need a 7 iron.

>

> Spin control and consistency (no fliers) is key. I’m a +2 hit my 7 iron 170 with a prov1. I’ve never thought about what my ball speed with my 7 is, I have a 10-12 yd gap between all my irons. My ball selection isn’t based on my iron distance because I almost never full swing any iron. I have to control spin and shot shape. Back pin on a green running 11 and table top I’m lowering my trajectory and running it out, front pin I might full shot and spin back. Side locations I’m working on my shape. Not once am I focusing on hitting harder or want more distance. That’s how you shoot lower scores.

>

> Side note, as you get older you’ll lose all that power, I’ve dropped 10 mph in the past 5 years and I’m still a better player today than I was before.

You're right.

However i like to swing with a minimum of intensity like Jason Day, the fun fact is that when i tried to take a club more and hit it slower, i end up making a worst shot and that frustrate me.

Also depends what you call swinging hard, for me is when you are out the balanced, or most of your feets is out of the ground, so basically J Thomas and B Watson are swinging hard for me. I have a pretty stable swing, I don't jump/squat like Thomas or Rory, I wonder how they manage to get good contact by doing so.

I only uses my Driver on par 5 thats all, other wise i'ts between a 5 and 2 hybrid for me. The issue I have with iron is that i have a shallow AoA and lots of dynamic loft so its natural and easier for me to hit a 7i than a sandwege for sure.

> @CMBaviator_FR said:

> I agree, **but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.**

>

> Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

>

> I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

Tour players do EVERYTHING better than even the best amateurs. That's why they are on tour.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

> @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > I agree, **but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.**

> >

> > Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

> >

> > I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

>

> Tour players do EVERYTHING better than even the best amateurs. That's why they are on tour.

>

>

have to disagree, not all tour player have over 180 bs on driver, some amateurs do for example

> @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > > I agree, **but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.**

> > >

> > > Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

> > >

> > > I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

> >

> > Tour players do EVERYTHING better than even the best amateurs. That's why they are on tour.

> >

> >

>

> have to disagree, not all tour player have over 180 bs on driver, some amateurs do for example

Seriously, you really don't want to equate "better" with "ball speed". I'm sure there's some amateur golfer, somewhere, who can swing a driver faster than Dustin Johnson. That speed does not mean he is "better" than Dustin Johnson in any sense of the word. It's just speed.

If you could take any 5-handicap golfer and somehow let him produce 180mph ball speed, you'd have a 5-handicap golfer with 180mph ball speed. Or maybe he'd gain a stroke or two and be a 3-handicap. But he would not be any closer to being like a Tour player than he was when he was producing 150mph of ball speed. Ball speed is maybe tenth, if that, on the list of the Top Twenty things that separate Dustin Johnson from a typical 5-handicapper.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > > @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > > > I agree, **but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.**

> > > >

> > > > Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

> > > >

> > > > I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

> > >

> > > Tour players do EVERYTHING better than even the best amateurs. That's why they are on tour.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > have to disagree, not all tour player have over 180 bs on driver, some amateurs do for example

>

> Seriously, you really don't want to equate "better" with "ball speed". I'm sure there's some amateur golfer, somewhere, who can swing a driver faster than Dustin Johnson. That speed does not mean he is "better" than Dustin Johnson in any sense of the word. It's just speed.

>

> If you could take any 5-handicap golfer and somehow let him produce 180mph ball speed, you'd have a 5-handicap golfer with 180mph ball speed. Or maybe he'd gain a stroke or two and be a 3-handicap. But he would not be any closer to being like a Tour player than he was when he was producing 150mph of ball speed. Ball speed is maybe tenth, if that, on the list of the Top Twenty things that separate Dustin Johnson from a typical 5-handicapper.

I agree, 180 MPH ball speed means nothing if you can't hit a fairway 20 yards wide consistently. I'm beginning to think this is nothing more than a passive brag/troll thread.

PXG Bat Attack H

> @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > > > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > > > @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > > > > I agree, **but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.**

> > > > >

> > > > > Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

> > > > >

> > > > > I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

> > > >

> > > > Tour players do EVERYTHING better than even the best amateurs. That's why they are on tour.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > have to disagree, not all tour player have over 180 bs on driver, some amateurs do for example

> >

> > Seriously, you really don't want to equate "better" with "ball speed". I'm sure there's some amateur golfer, somewhere, who can swing a driver faster than Dustin Johnson. That speed does not mean he is "better" than Dustin Johnson in any sense of the word. It's just speed.

> >

> > If you could take any 5-handicap golfer and somehow let him produce 180mph ball speed, you'd have a 5-handicap golfer with 180mph ball speed. Or maybe he'd gain a stroke or two and be a 3-handicap. But he would not be any closer to being like a Tour player than he was when he was producing 150mph of ball speed. Ball speed is maybe tenth, if that, on the list of the Top Twenty things that separate Dustin Johnson from a typical 5-handicapper.

>

> I agree, 180 MPH ball speed means nothing if you can't hit a fairway 20 yards wide consistently. I'm beginning to think this is nothing more than a passive brag/troll thread.

That's what it is seeming like. I was legitimately trying to offer him some advice on how to get better. He sounds like a person that just got into golf and can hit the ball far but really not interested in getting better. Any good player or coach will tell you ball speed (especially 170-180) won't do anything for your game. Increase ball speed will not lower your handicap at those speeds, in fact they usually mean you get more inconsistent.

Like I said, I played college golf and still compete in some mid level ams, I've never seen one high level guy trying to max out a 7 iron 200 yds. Rory did it on one hole on one specific day. He doesn't hit 200 yd 7 iron on a regular course, there are so many variables. Getting better is about consistency, not hitting irons further. I was lucky to be at a tour event in memphis on one of the vans while nike was working with Tiger way back when. I remember hearing him tell the rep to weaken his loft because he was hitting his 9 iron too far and it was messing up his gapping. Same goes for every club, you want consistency, not max distance because it is not CONSISTENT.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > > I agree, **but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.**

> > > >

> > > > Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

> > > >

> > > > I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

> > >

> > > Tour players do EVERYTHING better than even the best amateurs. That's why they are on tour.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > have to disagree, not all tour player have over 180 bs on driver, some amateurs do for example

>

> Seriously, you really don't want to equate "better" with "ball speed". I'm sure there's some amateur golfer, somewhere, who can swing a driver faster than Dustin Johnson. That speed does not mean he is "better" than Dustin Johnson in any sense of the word. It's just speed.

>

> If you could take any 5-handicap golfer and somehow let him produce 180mph ball speed, you'd have a 5-handicap golfer with 180mph ball speed. Or maybe he'd gain a stroke or two and be a 3-handicap. But he would not be any closer to being like a Tour player than he was when he was producing 150mph of ball speed. Ball speed is maybe tenth, if that, on the list of the Top Twenty things that separate Dustin Johnson from a typical 5-handicapper.

Yeah bro, a 5 handicap getting an extra 20 mph usually means they will get worst. extra speed means extra distance to go sideways. Getting that extra speed usually means spending more time on increasing strength through working out and also working more on your long game, hence, less time on putting and short game. Which is where you will gain your most strokes. It's like giving a teenager a ferrari, crash time

> @Pittknife said:

> > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > > > > @CMBaviator_FR said:

> > > > > > I agree, **but for me the main difference between a tour pro and low handicapper player is shots < 150yards, around the green and putting and the ability to shape the ball and consistency.**

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Regarding the smash factor and ball speed, you dont need to be a pro in order to have a good contact or hit far, I'm sure that there is plenty of amateurs that strike the ball better and hit further than tour pro.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I was wondering if considering my ball speed (above) if i'm short or long. Because I found out that i'm shorter than tour pro even with higher ball speed and a ball that spin less ( AVX) whereas these pro play v1/V1x and gets better carry number than me with a higher spinning ball

> > > > >

> > > > > Tour players do EVERYTHING better than even the best amateurs. That's why they are on tour.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > have to disagree, not all tour player have over 180 bs on driver, some amateurs do for example

> > >

> > > Seriously, you really don't want to equate "better" with "ball speed". I'm sure there's some amateur golfer, somewhere, who can swing a driver faster than Dustin Johnson. That speed does not mean he is "better" than Dustin Johnson in any sense of the word. It's just speed.

> > >

> > > If you could take any 5-handicap golfer and somehow let him produce 180mph ball speed, you'd have a 5-handicap golfer with 180mph ball speed. Or maybe he'd gain a stroke or two and be a 3-handicap. But he would not be any closer to being like a Tour player than he was when he was producing 150mph of ball speed. Ball speed is maybe tenth, if that, on the list of the Top Twenty things that separate Dustin Johnson from a typical 5-handicapper.

> >

> > I agree, 180 MPH ball speed means nothing if you can't hit a fairway 20 yards wide consistently. I'm beginning to think this is nothing more than a passive brag/troll thread.

>

> That's what it is seeming like. I was legitimately trying to offer him some advice on how to get better. He sounds like a person that just got into golf and can hit the ball far but really not interested in getting better. Any good player or coach will tell you ball speed (especially 170-180) won't do anything for your game. Increase ball speed will not lower your handicap at those speeds, in fact they usually mean you get more inconsistent.

>

> Like I said, I played college golf and still compete in some mid level ams, I've never seen one high level guy trying to max out a 7 iron 200 yds. Rory did it on one hole on one specific day. He doesn't hit 200 yd 7 iron on a regular course, there are so many variables. Getting better is about consistency, not hitting irons further. I was lucky to be at a tour event in memphis on one of the vans while nike was working with Tiger way back when. I remember hearing him tell the rep to weaken his loft because he was hitting his 9 iron too far and it was messing up his gapping. Same goes for every club, you want consistency, not max distance because it is not CONSISTENT.

At the end of the round its not how far you hit it, its how many times you hit it. There is no place on the scorecard to keep track of distance.

PXG Bat Attack H