2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Your favorite blade irons

moorebaseball

> @Bigmean said:

> l88kksn9ao4z.jpeg

> rhud2ez0zpg4.jpeg

> 3ib1vyabkr41.jpeg

>

> I am someone who likes shorter heel to toe and more squared toe....these are that, and I am working on making the set the next couple of weeks as parts come in. Pine street will be happy to know that these will not likely feel buttery soft at all despite the new copper clothing. They should be the right amount of awesome if I didn’t botch the shaft pairing. Still doubt they will kick gamers out tho....but they could, they are same thing just a little bit bigger.

>

> BH, Those tour blank number models are really really really awesome....

>

Good gracious man ! Where did you get those ? I want ! lol

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bfp9 said:

> My favorites: 2006 Hogan Apex. OG Nike Blades. Taylormade RAC TP MB. Mizuno MP-32.

>

> I've only hit older blades as you can see. I tried the PXG experiment and that failed so I'm sticking to what I know. To me old blades = new blades. Nothing has changed significantly enough to warrant new ones for me, except the grooves wearing thin on my Hogans.

The way I see it, those are _newer_ blades. :)

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

z2b3qj9stows.jpeg

The 17’s were too long heel/toe for my eye and while I did bag em for a bit after their introduction in ‘82, I ended up putting my ‘78 Tour Blades back in the bag, where they stayed through my first two Club Championships(1986/1987), when I switched to Mizzy(TP-9).

I went on to Play Mizzy for the next 25+ years till I put the 2008 Staff Fg 59 Tour Blades in the bag for my last season in the game(The standard retail iron is first pic with Limited Release Tour Blade bottom pic) They were designed after the exact 1976-1980 Tour Blades that I’d Played for a decade, which were also Sam & Johnny Miller’s favorite Staff Blade and the iron that Sam kept in his bag through the early 90’s and Miller had in the bag for his ‘76 Open Championship. Pete’s favorite staffs, along with Hale Irwin, were the ‘71 Button Backs, which the centenial irons, the Fg 100, were patterned after.

They are my all-time fave iron with the Mizzy 14’s being second and the 33’s rounding out my Top-3.

Cheers?

RPz3gn4y2265do.jpeg

umkow0n9nxb8.jpeg

• Like 3

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @kiw1982 said:

> MP-69.

>

> Traditional, proper weighting, great feel.

It is a great iron and it’s gorgeous however it was tough following such a well received blade as the 68, which I had in the bag for two seasons prior to putting the Staff 59’s in. I don’t know that I and the other Mizzy Players bought into all that “4D” bulls***, lolol, which led to some large a** short irons/wedges, at least by Mizzy standards, however Madison pulled mine outa the closet, hit em, and she’s having them reshafted this week kxoy63no6otl.jpeg

and they’re goin in her bag, and the 18’s are coming out, lolol(she’s a Staffer).

Great choice Kiw?

Stay well My Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @gbartko said:

> > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > Good grief, if you copied and pasted some of these posts into a wine forum they wouldn't be out of place.

> >

> > "Ah, yes, the Yonex Ezone MBs. Buttery notes, earthy offset, inviting aromas. Smooth aftertaste and silky bouquet sets it apart, especially paired with such subtle offset." *adjusts blazer that has elbow pads*

>

> stay in your lane with the unwashed masses

Read that as your avatar.

trzw6z8c5xy3.jpg

6mubzdwkct3w.jpg

> @Mike_C said:

> I really do like my Srixon Z945s, but to a purest, with the toe weights, maybe they are not "true" blades, also had a set of Mirua MB001s, just a great blade.

>

> Of the current lineup, just by looks, I love the look of the new Callaways, second might go to the TMs.

>

> One set I wish I hadn't gotten rid of, my 1976 Wilson Stafff blades, got them new when I was in high school. :'(

> ![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uJoAAOSwqBJXVgrE/s-l1600.jpg "")

>

Those were very very special irons Mike and the start of a series(1976, 1978 & 1980) of irons that were amazing and copied decades later.

Though I Played the 1971 Button Backs through 1978, when I went with the ‘78 Tour Blades, your ‘76 Tour Blades were the first release of three, 1976, 1978 & 1980, which were arguably the greatest collection of Staff Blades ever released.

Some will include the 1982 releases, the Fg 17’s in there, however to most who were Playing Staff Blades through the 70’s and up to the 17’s release, their longer heel/toe length was not a favorite to those who’d bagged the 76-80 Tour Blades.

As I’ve stated elsewhere, though I gave the 17’s a shot, they lasted less than a month and my 78’s went back into the bag, where they stayed for 5 more years(I got a set every third season cuz of wear on 8i-PW) and through my first two Club Championships.

They also would go back into the bag in 1989 for three more seasons as while I went with the Mizzy TP-9s in 1987 and then the Mizzy 87’s in ‘88, and while I Played the 87’s for a season and they were nice and I liked em better than the 9s, they weren’t the Staff Tour Blades, lolol. The other thing is that at the time I was Playing a lot of competitive golf in the Ohio/WV/Western PA & NY area and I saw two other sets of 87’s in bags of competitors, one of those being an Oakmont CC Asst., as Bob Ford got Mizzy Oakmont and they were the first Mizzy distributor in Western Pennsylvania. One, Mizzy was new to the states as they’d come here in golf in 1985-86, I forget exactly, and Staff, Mac, Hogan and to a lesser degree Titleist dominated the iron game, and secondly, the 87’s were a Limited Release iron, and I’d actually gotten my set while in Europe, and not many made their way to the green grass shops in the good ole USA. I guess what I’m sayin is that I didn’t see any other 87’s back in the day, and I’ll never forget Sam makin fun of em cuz one, they were Japanese and he could never understand me leaving Staff for Mizzy and two, for Playing an iron that was basically an exact copy of Hogan’s Personal iron(Nakajima had a set of Personals and had the 6i in his room as he designed the 87 irons around it) and was designed by a guy who was more famous for his failures(a 13 at Augusta’s par-5 13th and the infamous “Sands of Nakajima” on the 17th Road Hole bunker at St. Andrews, where he took a quintuple bogie) than his successes, which were many as he was the leading money winner on the Japanese Tour for 4 years, had 56 Professional Victories and spent 85 weeks inside the world Top-10 and had Top-10’s in all of the Majors including a third in the PGA Championship. They were ok, though not even close to the Best Mizzies that I would Play over the next 25+ years, falling behind the 14’s & 33’s though I liked em better than the 68’s. Oh, and that bulls*** about the copper inlay, sublime feel, yada yada yada???

I spoke to two different engineers who worked on the 87’s, years apart and both said the same thing~

One, the purpose of the copper, which was sprayed on as a mist, was to enhance the adherence properties of the nickel chrome finish to the steel and as a mist, it wasn’t heavy enough, thick enough or close to enough copper to have any effect on the “feel” of the iron, which all of these supposed guys baggin all of these phantom sets of 87’s have been chirpin about for years, lmao???

The second engineer laughingly stated that it was perhaps the greatest single product marketing feature in his time at Mizuno(18+ years) and it was unintended, imaginary and rose to mythical proportions with no help from Mizuno, lolol. I asked why no one ever corrected the misconception of the copper inlay and he looked at me like I was the biggest a**hole that he’d met in a while, which I may well have been, and said “yea, right,” lmao?? I LMAO, cuz his look and response was priceless, lol

Hey, Sam Played his ‘78 Tour Blades until 1993-94, when he finally put the Fg 51s in the bag, though he always said that the 1976-1980 Tour Blades were the best iron that he’d ever swung.

So yea Mike, that sucks that ya got rid of your ‘76 Tour Blades, cuz those were the first of a run of arguably the greatest irons ever produced by Staff.

They were special indeed!!

All the Best,

RP

• Like 2

These are for @"BIG STU"

I hope that You and The Missus has a great Easter7mczutvedl1t.jpeg

5pje675alsd1.jpeg

? Brother?

Cheers?

RP

Curious to see the new Wilson offering! The pics. look great, but can't wait to give these a hit!

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

> @Forged4ever said:

> These are for @"BIG STU"

>

> I hope that You and The Missus has a great Easter7mczutvedl1t.jpeg

> 5pje675alsd1.jpeg

> ? Brother?

>

> Cheers?

> RP

I shot 66 (36-30) with those MT blades. Loved 'em back in 1984.

• Like 1

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Bigmean said:

> > l88kksn9ao4z.jpeg

> > rhud2ez0zpg4.jpeg

> > 3ib1vyabkr41.jpeg

> >

> > I am someone who likes shorter heel to toe and more squared toe....these are that, and I am working on making the set the next couple of weeks as parts come in. Pine street will be happy to know that these will not likely feel buttery soft at all despite the new copper clothing. They should be the right amount of awesome if I didn’t botch the shaft pairing. Still doubt they will kick gamers out tho....but they could, they are same thing just a little bit bigger.

> >

> > BH, Those tour blank number models are really really really awesome....

> >

>

> Good gracious man ! Where did you get those ? I want ! lol

I have wanted this set for a long time. Since I started surfing Japanese auctions. To my eye it is identical to small blades just a smidge bigger frame, more normal sized. I think 250 were made, in Japan to this day they go for like 700-1000. I think $2500 new. Anyway, on eBay at work and this dude in like Missouri of all places has a used set, some dings a tad ugly but no face wear to speak of, missing a shaft, just a real diamond looking rough.... he wants something for them lower than JaPan by a lot. I watch it, he lowers $60, I click make an offer and go low cause I am compelled after the drop.....thinking no way, he takes it, I am like Yes!, oh no, the wife!!!!. So I am in them for sub $200 after selling the shafts. Score...

Now I am like this is it, I am doing copper on these.....I am still going to be into these for a lot more money than I wanted or thought but I am deeming it a worthy set to go down the rabbit hole on. My back was not good last year and while it doesn’t help a ton, it helps....I am going graphite, I love the recoil proto 110s, and I am outfitting these with the JDM only attas 10s iron shafts...I am hoping they are even better....I really hope this set is more than beauty queens. The copper will patina, so a total different look when done. I am really Excited about this build...

• Like 1

> @rgk5 said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > These are for @"BIG STU"

> >

> > I hope that You and The Missus has a great Easter7mczutvedl1t.jpeg

> > 5pje675alsd1.jpeg

> > ? Brother?

> >

> > Cheers?

> > RP

>

> I shot 66 (36-30) with those MT blades. Loved 'em back in 1984.

That’s fantastic RG as these MT, like most of the older blades in this thread, are still kick a** today with the correct shaft in em. Madison loved these and had em reshafted with her regular shafts, the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105, and she is hitting them on the line and planning on putting em in the bag, though she did and said the same with the 69’s, lol. She’s gettin like guys on the board, lmao

I never Played em though a few Buds did, and one, Sean Knapp, the USGA Senior Am Champion in 2017 & Runner-Up last year, said that they are one of the three greatest irons that he’s ever bagged and absolutely the best pre-2000 blade.

Have a great season my Friend

RP

Thanks Richard. They were my second favorite Mac iron after the 985 Silver Scot although the MTs had a superior leading edge grind. Why the hell did MacGregor collapse? My guess is they joined the game improvement bandwagon too late

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

> @rgk5 said:

> Thanks Richard. They were my second favorite Mac iron after the 985 Silver Scot although the MTs had a superior leading edge grind. Why the **** did MacGregor collapse? My guess is they joined the game improvement bandwagon too late

I could spout my .03 worth though a lot of it is said much better & much more succinctly in this article, which I found to be fair, accurate and enlightening...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.com/2009/12/14/macgregor-demise-american-classic/amp/

Stay well?

Richard

Like Bigmean, wanted to see if copper underlay could be improved upon, so I got some TN-87’s stripped and copper plated. Still haven’t shafted these up after 2 years though...

qgftbeae6mq2.jpeg

fdew6s8q0z2v.jpeg

• Like 2

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball